gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 11:30:21 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Backstage at the Cuthbert Amphitheatre "UPDATE"  (Read 44234 times)
Banana
Smiley Smile Associate

Mike Love, Not War!

View Profile
« Reply #225 on: July 26, 2012, 04:13:38 PM »

That's kind of what I'm thinking.  SD made it sound like Sail On, Sailor was just one of any tracks that Brian would work on here and there.  Perhaps the cassette was VDP trying to get Brian to finish the track??  I've actually just confused myself more by typing this out...

"You wanna have the '409' sound, right?  On 'Help Me, Rhonda'?"

"Honkin' down the gosh-darned highway..."

"Cried so hard...teardrops on my bed...COME ON MUTHAF*****S!"
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #226 on: July 26, 2012, 09:46:54 PM »

That's kind of what I'm thinking.  SD made it sound like Sail On, Sailor was just one of any tracks that Brian would work on here and there.  Perhaps the cassette was VDP trying to get Brian to finish the track??  I've actually just confused myself more by typing this out...

I don't think it's that confusing at all. It is likely that Brian worked on "Sail On, Sailor" in 1971 and for some reason never finished it to the point where it was considered for Carl and the Passions. However, it is odd that the band didn't work on it in Holland. I mean, not only is it a Brian composition, of which there were very few known during this era, but it also probably the most commercial thing they had at the time, maybe besides "California Saga: California".

And to throw more confusion into the mix, I'm pretty sure that Blondie said that for the recording of "Sail On, Sailor", it was him on bass, Ricky on drums, and Carl on piano. So who's right? Blondie or Desper? Hard to say. It is possible that they just re-recorded it, but I don't see the point in doing that, unless either they forgot they had it tracked or that they just plain thought they could do it better.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #227 on: July 27, 2012, 07:12:41 AM »

I don't think it's that confusing at all. It is likely that Brian worked on "Sail On, Sailor" in 1971 and for some reason never finished it to the point where it was considered for Carl and the Passions.

Now that would've been great. SOS would fit very nicely with the R'n'B influences on So Tough. Although I love Dennis' songs they just don't fit on there. Imagine So Tough without "Cuddle up" and "Make it good" (maybe even without "All this is that") but instead with SOS and a finished "I'm going your way" or something like that. That could've been one cool Rock'n'Roll album

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Banana
Smiley Smile Associate

Mike Love, Not War!

View Profile
« Reply #228 on: July 27, 2012, 07:47:16 AM »

Not a bad idea...but I still say "Cuddle Up" needs to be the last song.  A little bit of peace after rockin' your butt off!  Look at some of Aerosmith's classic 70s LPs...they rocked as hard as everyone...but the last track was always something mellow...and I simply cannot consider an alternate universe where "Cuddle Up" doesn't see legit release!

Wah Wah Wah Ooooo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #229 on: July 27, 2012, 07:54:11 AM »

I don't think it's that confusing at all. It is likely that Brian worked on "Sail On, Sailor" in 1971 and for some reason never finished it to the point where it was considered for Carl and the Passions. However, it is odd that the band didn't work on it in Holland. I mean, not only is it a Brian composition, of which there were very few known during this era, but it also probably the most commercial thing they had at the time, maybe besides "California Saga: California".

And to throw more confusion into the mix, I'm pretty sure that Blondie said that for the recording of "Sail On, Sailor", it was him on bass, Ricky on drums, and Carl on piano. So who's right? Blondie or Desper? Hard to say. It is possible that they just re-recorded it, but I don't see the point in doing that, unless either they forgot they had it tracked or that they just plain thought they could do it better.

I could be wrong, but I think there's more than one piano part on SOS....maybe a real piano (Brian?) and a Rhodes/Electric type piano (Carl?)  So maybe they're both right.

"I'm in a band. We're called the Beach Boys." ~ Brian Wilson
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #230 on: July 27, 2012, 10:21:04 AM »

Not a bad idea...but I still say "Cuddle Up" needs to be the last song.  A little bit of peace after rockin' your butt off!  Look at some of Aerosmith's classic 70s LPs...they rocked as hard as everyone...but the last track was always something mellow...and I simply cannot consider an alternate universe where "Cuddle Up" doesn't see legit release!

I didn't say "Cuddle up" should'nt have been released. Just not on "So tough" imo

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Banana
Smiley Smile Associate

Mike Love, Not War!

View Profile
« Reply #231 on: July 27, 2012, 10:25:55 AM »

Do you think it would have worked on "Holland"? 

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #232 on: July 27, 2012, 11:57:07 AM »

Do you think it would have worked on "Holland"? 

No. I don't think that i would fit on any released BBs album. But thanks to "Make it good" and "All this is that" it doesn't sound that out of place on the second side of So Tough

- Jack Rieley
Generation42
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #233 on: August 03, 2012, 08:49:44 PM »

First, thank you, SRH, for sharing your experience with the group, and thank you, AGD, for clearing up any 50 Big Ones confusion.

The talk of 'new recordings' has me thinking, yes, about the work we know was done to "Isn't It Time," but I also wonder, does anybody else think some work might be taking place on finishing up some of the new suite?

I'm looking forward to archive material just the same as everyone else, but, boy, I sure would like to hear more from that suite.  Maybe a few cuts here for this this release, with the reamaining pieces seeing the light of day on any potential follow-up to TWGMTR?
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #234 on: August 03, 2012, 09:44:24 PM »

I hope the hit package's track order is chronological this time around.

Yeah, I agree. The lack of chronological order and poor sequencing hurts the flow of Sounds Of Summer. However, I played around with a possible "50 Big Ones" compilation and, if you use chronological order, it is very difficult to get a proper flow and make some sense of it. Soooooooooo, I came up with what I think would be a great comp for any Beach Boys' fan, especially the casual fan who would buy such a comp. I made my own sequence and made sure that each album was represented:

THE BEACH BOYS - 50 Years - A Celebration

Disc 1

01. Surfin' Safari
02. Surfin' U.S.A.
03. Surfer Girl
04. Fun, Fun, Fun
05. Please Let Me Wonder
06. You're So Good To Me
07. Little Honda
08. All Summer Long
09. In My Room
10. When I Grow Up (To Be A Man)
11. Little Deuce Coupe
12. 409
13. Shut Down
14. Don't Worry Baby
15. I Get Around
16. Be True To Your School
17. Dance, Dance, Dance
18. Do You Wanna Dance
19. Wendy
20. The Warmth Of The Sun
21. Help Me, Rhonda
22. Barbara Ann
23. Kiss Me, Baby
24. Let Him Run Wild
25. California Girls

Disc 2

01. Good Vibrations
02. Wouldn't It Be Nice
03. God Only Knows
04. Sloop John B
05. Heroes And Villains
06. Friends
07. Do It Again
08. I Can Hear Music
09. Marcella
10. Darlin'
11. This Whole World
12. Forever
13. Til I Die
14. Surf's Up
15. Sail On Sailor
16. Rock And Roll Music
17. It's OK
18. The Night Was So Young
19. Come Go With Me
20. Good Timin'
21. Goin' On
22. Getcha Back
23. Kokomo
24. Lahaina Aloha
25. That's Why God Made The Radio

What'd think? Additions or subtractions? Sequence?

My ideal BBs GH would be at least 10 discs and would include at minimum 5 tracks from each album, including live, solo, and unreleased albums (ie, Concert, In Concert, Live in London, POB, BW88, GIOMH, LBWL, Country Love, Celebration, SMiLE, Adult Child, Bambu, Lost and Found).

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #235 on: August 03, 2012, 10:06:01 PM »

It was sick, man! People were popping Aleve like candy and even PRESCRIPTION anti-inflammatories... I saw this one guy slamming down Geritol before kissing a woman FULL ON THE LIPS! There was even displays of ankle. I haven't seen this kind of debauchery since the old Joe Franklin tv show...

The roadies had things like this in FULL SIGHT of children:

I think it's some kind of fancy drugs pipe, as I overheard one guy say he "thought he smelled drugs" but it "probably wasn't as good as the stuff we used to get."

Jesus Christ, this was great, especially the mic stand part. +53029503295 forever and ever

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx