gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681218 Posts in 27630 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 28, 2024, 11:06:00 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Backstage at the Cuthbert Amphitheatre "UPDATE"  (Read 44766 times)
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: July 22, 2012, 06:07:41 PM »

I hope the hit package's track order is chronological this time around.

Yeah, I agree. The lack of chronological order and poor sequencing hurts the flow of Sounds Of Summer. However, I played around with a possible "50 Big Ones" compilation and, if you use chronological order, it is very difficult to get a proper flow and make some sense of it. Soooooooooo, I came up with what I think would be a great comp for any Beach Boys' fan, especially the casual fan who would buy such a comp. I made my own sequence and made sure that each album was represented:

THE BEACH BOYS - 50 Years - A Celebration

Disc 1

01. Surfin' Safari
02. Surfin' U.S.A.
03. Surfer Girl
04. Fun, Fun, Fun
05. Please Let Me Wonder
06. You're So Good To Me
07. Little Honda
08. All Summer Long
09. In My Room
10. When I Grow Up (To Be A Man)
11. Little Deuce Coupe
12. 409
13. Shut Down
14. Don't Worry Baby
15. I Get Around
16. Be True To Your School
17. Dance, Dance, Dance
18. Do You Wanna Dance
19. Wendy
20. The Warmth Of The Sun
21. Help Me, Rhonda
22. Barbara Ann
23. Kiss Me, Baby
24. Let Him Run Wild
25. California Girls

Disc 2

01. Good Vibrations
02. Wouldn't It Be Nice
03. God Only Knows
04. Sloop John B
05. Heroes And Villains
06. Friends
07. Do It Again
08. I Can Hear Music
09. Marcella
10. Darlin'
11. This Whole World
12. Forever
13. Til I Die
14. Surf's Up
15. Sail On Sailor
16. Rock And Roll Music
17. It's OK
18. The Night Was So Young
19. Come Go With Me
20. Good Timin'
21. Goin' On
22. Getcha Back
23. Kokomo
24. Lahaina Aloha
25. That's Why God Made The Radio

What'd think? Additions or subtractions? Sequence?

Great list. I'm not sure there is anything I'd change. Nothing big at least. Maybe switch "Lahaina Ahola" for "Still Cruisin'". And lose one of the early tracks to include "Baby Blue" or "Love Surrounds Me", to get more Dennis on there.
Jonathan Blum
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: July 22, 2012, 07:17:10 PM »

I'd bet 50 Big Ones will include the new version of "Isn't It Time"...

Cheers,
Jon Blum
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #177 on: July 22, 2012, 10:39:38 PM »

This is disappointing.
50 big ones? Really? If you're gonna do that why not just call it
Still Endless Summer or Still Keeping the summer alive?
Or STILL STILL CRUSIN?

Idk no WIBNTLA = bummer
I'm still buying this for the new tracks.

SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #178 on: July 23, 2012, 12:40:54 AM »

Anyone considered the possibility that either the original poster or Al got their wires crossed, and "50 Big Ones" is the title of the "new hits collection" mentioned in the original quote, rather than the "career-spanning box set"?

Cause that would make much more sense than a box set with only 50 tracks.  You could easily fit 50 Beach Boys songs onto a two-disc hits package.  And no wonder WIBNTLA wouldn't be included in it...

Cheers,
Jon Blum

We were quite specific.  I asked him about the upcoming box set.  Al went right into talking about new tracks, "50 Big Ones".........  But I'm not a good source about what deal the BB signed up for with Capitol Records.  There are many 'honored guests' on this board, like AGD, who have a much better idea of what's up.

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Dave Modny
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: July 23, 2012, 01:40:52 PM »

Anyone considered the possibility that either the original poster or Al got their wires crossed, and "50 Big Ones" is the title of the "new hits collection" mentioned in the original quote, rather than the "career-spanning box set"?

Cause that would make much more sense than a box set with only 50 tracks.  You could easily fit 50 Beach Boys songs onto a two-disc hits package.  And no wonder WIBNTLA wouldn't be included in it...

Cheers,
Jon Blum

We were quite specific.  I asked him about the upcoming box set.  Al went right into talking about new tracks, "50 Big Ones".........  But I'm not a good source about what deal the BB signed up for with Capitol Records.  There are many 'honored guests' on this board, like AGD, who have a much better idea of what's up.

Then, I suppose if this is indeed the correct title for the box, the "50 songs" part is the incorrect, misheard or wrongly communicated detail, with the "50 Big Ones" moniker simply referring to the years and not the number of tracks. There's really only so many ways this can currently go based on Al's words.  

That said, there's no way on earth something more than a two-disc Beach Boys set is going to contain *only* 50 songs, total. No way. No how. Not in this lifetime. The four proper discs of the "30 Years" box set had 119 tracks (including the hidden one)!  Smiley

BTW, all this aside, thanks for the info from your encounter. Any news of an archival release is news that I'll always welcome.  Thumbs Up
« Last Edit: July 23, 2012, 01:42:10 PM by Dave Modny » Logged
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #180 on: July 23, 2012, 02:29:07 PM »

Cause that would make much more sense than a box set with only 50 tracks.  You could easily fit 50 Beach Boys songs onto a two-disc hits package.  And no wonder WIBNTLA wouldn't be included in it...

Cheers,
Jon Blum

We were quite specific.  I asked him about the upcoming box set.  Al went right into talking about new tracks, "50 Big Ones".........  But I'm not a good source about what deal the BB signed up for with Capitol Records.  There are many 'honored guests' on this board, like AGD, who have a much better idea of what's up.

Then, I suppose if this is indeed the correct title for the box, the "50 songs" part is the incorrect, misheard or wrongly communicated detail, with the "50 Big Ones" moniker simply referring to the years and not the number of tracks. There's really only so many ways this can currently go based on Al's words.  

That said, there's no way on earth something more than a two-disc Beach Boys set is going to contain *only* 50 songs, total. No way. No how. Not in this lifetime. The four proper discs of the "30 Years" box set had 119 tracks (including the hidden one)!  Smiley

BTW, all this aside, thanks for the info from your encounter. Any news of an archival release is news that I'll always welcome.  Thumbs Up

No, Al said 50 songs, not 50 years. They are rerecording some of the songs from TWGMTR plus Waves of Love, according to Al.  Obviously, I didnʻt get much detail except my specific question about WIBNTLA.

I think what we are getting here are some rehashed new tracks, maybe some that didnʻt make the final cut for TWGMTR.  Think 3 CDs, 16+ songs each, all the hits plus the new stuff.  My impression is that this is more of a moneymaker deal than a vault release that the hardcore fans want (us).

Course, the whole thing is in flux as they are recording, like now, before heading off overseas.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2012, 02:30:59 PM by SurfRiderHawaii » Logged

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #181 on: July 23, 2012, 02:35:38 PM »

No, Al said 50 songs, not 50 years. They are rerecording some of the songs from TWGMTR plus Waves of Love,

Re-recording songs from TWGMTR ? WTF ?!?!

Course, the whole thing is in flux as they are recording, like now, before heading off overseas.

Well, they already are overseas....

We don't know what we'll get but from these things Al said it sounds like something I would definitely not get. Can't believe it's really like that. Just some crazy Jardine stuff

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #182 on: July 23, 2012, 02:45:01 PM »

Cheers,
Jon Blum

Yup, Re-recording songs from TWGMTR.  As Jon speculates, Iʻd also expect this new version of "Isnʻt it Time" on the box.  Itʻs already official that they have recorded parts for a new version so, no, Al isnʻt crazy.

Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #183 on: July 23, 2012, 02:49:49 PM »

Cheers,
Jon Blum

Yup, Re-recording songs from TWGMTR.  As Jon speculates, Iʻd also expect this new version of "Isnʻt it Time" on the box.  Itʻs already official that they have recorded parts for a new version so, no, Al isnʻt crazy.
Of course Al Jardine is crazy. This just isn't evidence for it.

SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #184 on: July 23, 2012, 03:03:31 PM »

Cheers,
Jon Blum

Of course Al Jardine is crazy. This just isn't evidence for it.

Of the guys I met backstage, would not say Al was anything but nice and sane.  Which I canʻt say for all...........

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #185 on: July 23, 2012, 03:27:28 PM »

Cheers,
Jon Blum

But you said songs. Isn't it time would be okay if it's for a single release, but the rest ?

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #186 on: July 23, 2012, 04:40:07 PM »

From what little I have heard... "some" were not happy with how the songs sound on the album. The belief was they should of played them live first then recorded them.. Similar to BWPS..
So re-recording some songs would not seem as crazy as it sounds

It’s like he hired a fashion consultant and told her to make him look “punchable.”
Some Guy, 2012
"Donald Trump makes Mike Love look like an asshole"
Me ,2015.
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #187 on: July 23, 2012, 06:50:15 PM »

Cheers,
Jon Blum

But you said songs. Isn't it time would be okay if it's for a single release, but the rest ?

Al wasnʻt specific on which songs or how many from the album.  Got the impression it would be more like what they did live for Rolling Stone.

Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #188 on: July 23, 2012, 07:57:02 PM »

Seems like a combination of "crazy Jardine stuff" -- which is an actual phenomenon -- and some accurate info. Wouldn't be surprised to hear the redone "Isn't It Time," and possibly a somewhat stripped down version of another track on one of the new collections.

All that being said, a 50-track collection just cannot be the career-spanning boxed set.  Not with the money to be made by releasing something truly mammoth (a la the Smile box). But we'll see. Things in BB land are always in some sort of flux ...
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #189 on: July 23, 2012, 08:47:39 PM »

Seems like a combination of "crazy Jardine stuff" -- which is an actual phenomenon -- and some accurate info. Wouldn't be surprised to hear the redone "Isn't It Time," and possibly a somewhat stripped down version of another track on one of the new collections.

All that being said, a 50-track collection just cannot be the career-spanning boxed set.  Not with the money to be made by releasing something truly mammoth (a la the Smile box). But we'll see. Things in BB land are always in some sort of flux ...

Remember, Al was the guy who let slip the reunion tour and we all dissed it as wishful thinking.  Same with the Smile box - Al let it slip.
Certainly we here on the board wan vault material but 50 Big Ones, as Al described it, is career spanning.

Iʻm certainly not happy about it. Just hearing Desper has a Sail on Sailor mix with a Carl lead squirreled away makes me nuts. WIBNTLA............. UGH!

Dave Modny
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #190 on: July 23, 2012, 10:53:36 PM »

Cheers,
Jon Blum

No, Al said 50 songs, not 50 years. They are rerecording some of the songs from TWGMTR plus Waves of Love, according to Al.  Obviously, I didnʻt get much detail except my specific question about WIBNTLA.

I think what we are getting here are some rehashed new tracks, maybe some that didnʻt make the final cut for TWGMTR.  Think 3 CDs, 16+ songs each, all the hits plus the new stuff.  My impression is that this is more of a moneymaker deal than a vault release that the hardcore fans want (us).

I just can't believe that they would do some kind of 50 song retrospective that would be spread out over three discs (when it could comfortably fit on two) and passed off as a 'box." What's the early years, first CD going to be...38 minutes in length? And...will this be it? Will we still get a career-spanning, maxed-out, real box set that includes rarities at some point? Will we still get a standard hits package for the masses? One or the other? This seems to serve no purpose if the other things are still being considered, and if they're not, it makes little sense in value and execution -- particularly as a moneymaker. About the only way I could see a 50-song, three CD "box set" is if it were some kind of promo tie-in...ala Hallmark, QVC or the Wal-Mart Zine (i.e. 10 oldies + a remake for 17 bucks!), or if it were some kind of limited edition or collector's vanity piece like the Capitol Singles box. And, if that were the case, I'd still expect the above to materialize at some point.

Thus, I'm just going to take this all with a grain of salt. I guess we'll see in time. I don't doubt Al said what he said. I'm just having a hard time making sense out of it, and wondering if he got his wires crossed slightly? The notion that he got the gist of it right. Just not the exact details. As I noted earlier, when he first dropped the word of TSS, he also mentioned that it was his understanding that "more recording needed to be done." We all know how that turned out. Again, grain of salt. Smiley
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #191 on: July 23, 2012, 11:31:12 PM »

All that being said, a 50-track collection just cannot be the career-spanning boxed set.  Not with the money to be made by releasing something truly mammoth (a la the Smile box). But we'll see. Things in BB land are always in some sort of flux ...

Remember, Al was the guy who let slip the reunion tour and we all dissed it as wishful thinking.  Same with the Smile box - Al let it slip.
Certainly we here on the board wan vault material but 50 Big Ones, as Al described it, is career spanning.

Iʻm certainly not happy about it. Just hearing Desper has a Sail on Sailor mix with a Carl lead squirreled away makes me nuts. WIBNTLA............. UGH!

Al also claimed the band would be reuniting about 15 times before they actually did. And he suggested they would be doing new recording on the Smile sessions ...

Edit: And Dave beat me too it, there. I think he's right on the money.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2012, 11:32:27 PM by Wirestone » Logged
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #192 on: July 23, 2012, 11:53:45 PM »

Cause that would make much more sense than a box set with only 50 tracks.  You could easily fit 50 Beach Boys songs onto a two-disc hits package.  And no wonder WIBNTLA wouldn't be included in it...

Cheers,
Jon Blum

We were quite specific.  I asked him about the upcoming box set.  Al went right into talking about new tracks, "50 Big Ones".........  But I'm not a good source about what deal the BB signed up for with Capitol Records.  There are many 'honored guests' on this board, like AGD, who have a much better idea of what's up.

That said, there's no way on earth something more than a two-disc Beach Boys set is going to contain *only* 50 songs, total. No way. No how. Not in this lifetime. The four proper discs of the "30 Years" box set had 119 tracks (including the hidden one)!  Smiley

BTW, all this aside, thanks for the info from your encounter. Any news of an archival release is news that I'll always welcome.  Thumbs Up

No, Al said 50 songs, not 50 years. They are rerecording some of the songs from TWGMTR plus Waves of Love, according to Al.  Obviously, I didnʻt get much detail except my specific question about WIBNTLA.

I think what we are getting here are some rehashed new tracks, maybe some that didnʻt make the final cut for TWGMTR.  Think 3 CDs, 16+ songs each, all the hits plus the new stuff.  My impression is that this is more of a moneymaker deal than a vault release that the hardcore fans want (us).

I just can't believe that they would do some kind of 50 song retrospective that would be spread out over three discs (when it could comfortably fit on two) and passed off as a 'box." What's the early years, first CD going to be...38 minutes in length? And...will this be it? Will we still get a career-spanning, maxed-out, real box set that includes rarities at some point? Will we still get a standard hits package for the masses? One or the other? This seems to serve no purpose if the other things are still being considered, and if they're not, it makes little sense in value and execution -- particularly as a moneymaker. About the only way I could see a 50-song, three CD "box set" is if it were some kind of promo tie-in...ala Hallmark, QVC or the Wal-Mart Zine (i.e. 10 oldies + a remake for 17 bucks!), or if it were some kind of limited edition or collector's vanity piece like the Capitol Singles box. And, if that were the case, I'd still expect the above to materialize at some point.

Thus, I'm just going to take this all with a grain of salt. I guess we'll see in time. I don't doubt Al said what he said. I'm just having a hard time making sense out of it, and wondering if he got his wires crossed slightly? The notion that he got the gist of it right. Just not the exact details. As I noted earlier, when he first dropped the word of TSS, he also mentioned that it was his understanding that "more recording needed to be done." We all know how that turned out. Again, grain of salt. Smiley

I'm thinking "50 Big Ones" will be 2 CDs and the third disk a "bonus" with the new recordings and whatever else.

As I recall, AGD said Alan Boyd wasn't involved so my expectations fell like a rock.

Dave Modny
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #193 on: July 24, 2012, 12:03:21 AM »

Cheers,
Jon Blum

I'm thinking "50 Big Ones" will be 2 CDs and the third disk a "bonus" with the new recordings and whatever else.

Now...that I can grasp, but only if they were essentially marketing and pricing it as a 2-CD overview set and *not* a comprehensive box set. Say, 20 tracks per disc + 10 tracks of bonus rarities/TWGMTR outtakes/re-recordings. Or perhaps, 22, 22 and 6...23, 23, and 4. IIRC, Summer Love Songs was 20 tracks, so that crunches a little better for me. Smiley

Then again, I'd still hope for a real box set in light of that.

« Last Edit: July 24, 2012, 12:41:54 AM by Dave Modny » Logged
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #194 on: July 24, 2012, 02:13:35 AM »

50 Big Ones sounds like a fine title for a 2CD 50th anniversary GH collection, but not a"career-spanning" box set. Just saying...
« Last Edit: July 24, 2012, 02:15:03 AM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #195 on: July 24, 2012, 03:38:23 AM »

As I recall, AGD said Alan Boyd wasn't involved so my expectations fell like a rock.

Alan Boyd has been seriously ill for who knows how long, so I like to think his lack of involvement is down to that and that Mark Linett and Dennis Wolfe (Who seems to know his sh*t) can easily pick up the ball.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Loaf
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #196 on: July 24, 2012, 03:47:35 AM »

I'm probably not going to buy the boxset even if there's like 12 rarities... i'll just download the tracks i don't have from itunes or something. No way i'm buying another disc with surfin' usa and california girls on it.

Same here. Fodaing fed up of being taken for a ride by the big labels. I'll get the tracks I want, either legally or illegally. I'll happily give them my money for unreleased stuff.
Zach95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #197 on: July 24, 2012, 07:26:14 AM »

50 Big Ones sounds like a fine title for a 2CD 50th anniversary GH collection, but not a"career-spanning" box set. Just saying...

I'm going to go ahead and believe this here bit of information.

Ain't nothin' upside your head!
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #198 on: July 24, 2012, 07:43:41 AM »

I'm going to go ahead and believe this here bit of information.
A good commom sense approach, if you ask me. Wink

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,