gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:20:23 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Backstage at the Cuthbert Amphitheatre "UPDATE"  (Read 44225 times)
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« on: July 15, 2012, 04:16:55 PM »

My apologies for taking so long, and for initiating such detailed speculation.   Here is my report.  Sorry I donʻt have more details on whatʻs on the box set.

1. The new Box set is called "50 Big Ones".  All my info on the box set came from Al (so take that for what itʻs worth).
   a. I got the distinct impression that there will only be 50 songs.  I may be wrong on this but thatʻs what I came away thinking I heard.
   b. They are recording new material for the box set.  I got the impression it will be kinda like ʻlive in the studioʻ.  Al said they were going to do a slowed down version of "Waves of Love"
   c. No more solo albums for Al.  He was pretty adamant about that.  He mentioned he and David Marks had played some and an acoustic thing with Dave might be fun.
   d. According to Al, "WIBNTLA" IS NOT GOING TO BE ON THE BOX SET.  In fact, his reaction was he didnʻt know the song.  He could have been pulling my leg but I donʻt think so. I told him it was
      a Dennis song pulled from "Surfʻs Up" and he truly  seemed  baffled. He said "maybe itʻs one owned by Guercio".  I told him the fans REALLY, REALLY want it released. He then repeated the  
      title back to me four times, so he would remember it he said,  and said he would check it out.  Shook my hand and then he boarded the tour bus.

2. Talked to David next.  He was really nice.  Looked great!  He wasnʻt happy with the instrument mix for the show.  We talked some guitar playing stuff.  Great guy!

3. Talked to Stan Love and how he used to kick my ass when we played in the Redondo High summer gym pick-up games.  Met his family.

4. Next, in search of my date; found Mr. Mike Love.  Yes, the next Mike/Bruce tour is booked.  Donʻt think Al is gonna be on it, nor Brian of course.  It was an experience, interacting with Mr. Love, Iʻll never forget; and leave it at that.

5. Next, talked to Bruce about England (I did an USN/RN exchange there for 2 1/2 years in the 80ʻs). Bruce loves England. Talked about his son at Oxford.  He is really proud of his kids. Talked surfing, beer/Pacifico (Bruce says he has two a year), his heart -1000%, talked surfing in Kona.

6. Brian - went straight from the stage to the tour bus - front seat by the driver.  When I saw him his eyes were always closed.  He seems tired to me.

Sorry I donʻt have more details. Well, I do but they are not music related.

I would bet AGD knows much, much more than I.  But Al didnʻt swear me to secrecy so there ya go.

Original Post:
A little pressed for time right now but will follow up with full report (in transit back to Hawaii).

Somehow, I managed to get backstage and talk to the band members (and not because I played pick-up basketball back in the day against Stan Love - ironically, my seat was right behind him).

Anyway, talked to all the band members and got the lowdown on new recordings, the box set - the title is" ..........." teaser I know, future solo work by Al, WIBNTLA....... Even some juicy stuff/backstage hijinks I can't even post here (ever).

More to follow.

One tidbit - The Mike/Bruce show have their next tour booked and it sounds like they will be rolling early in the new year.

Ok, another.  Brian looks pooped. No onstage banter with Mike or anyone. Al tried to talk to him once but he just sang and played like a pro.  He looks 'over it'!

The Oregon bugs attacked his lighted teleprompter late in the show and that seemed to really deflate his energy. He didn't hang backstage - went right to the tour bus and sat in the front seat, next to the driver, and just closed his eyes.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2012, 06:46:27 PM by SurfRiderHawaii » Logged

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Wah Wah Wah Ooooo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2012, 04:27:28 PM »

Anyway, talked to all the band members and got the lowdown on new recordings, the box set - the title is" ..........." teaser I know, future solo work by Al, WIBNTLA....... Even some juicy stuff/backstage hijinks I can't even post here (ever).

More to follow.

Yeah, knowing this board, there better more to follow or you're in for a sh*tstorm of replies.

"I'm in a band. We're called the Beach Boys." ~ Brian Wilson
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2012, 04:40:09 PM »

Ok, another.  Brian looks pooped. No onstage banter with Mike or anyone. Al tried to talk to him once but he just sang and played like a pro.  He looks 'over it'!

I think his (audible) banter with other people on stage occured in like about four out of the 50+ dates so far. Not that anything has changed, really.

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2012, 04:43:02 PM »

Even some juicy stuff/backstage hijinks I can't even post here (ever).

Arrgh. If you can't ever post it, why mention it?  Wall

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2012, 04:46:53 PM »

-.-
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2012, 04:50:20 PM »

Well, there are friends on here who email me.................

Bottom line - it's still ..., ..... and rock and roll.  I don't wanna get sued.

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2012, 04:51:41 PM »

Well, there are friends on here who email me.................

Bottom line - it's still ..., ..... and rock and roll.  I don't wanna get sued.

Yawn..Who cares?

It’s like he hired a fashion consultant and told her to make him look “punchable.”
Some Guy, 2012
"Donald Trump makes Mike Love look like an asshole"
Me ,2015.
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2012, 04:57:06 PM »

The courts are crammed with lawsuits based on message board postings, I tell you!
NatureShowInStereo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2012, 05:02:07 PM »

A little pressed for time right now but will follow up with full report (in transit back to Hawaii).

Somehow, I managed to get backstage and talk to the band members (and not because I played pick-up basketball back in the day against Stan Love - ironically, my seat was right behind him).

More to follow.

One tidbit - The Mike/Bruce show have their next tour booked and it sounds like they will be rolling early in the new year.

Ok, another.  Brian looks pooped. No onstage banter with Mike or anyone. Al tried to talk to him once but he just sang and played like a pro.  He looks 'over it'!

The Oregon bugs attacked his lighted teleprompter late in the show and that seemed to really deflate his energy. He didn't hang backstage - went right to the tour bus and sat in the front seat, next to the driver, and just closed his eyes.

Wow, that was a lot of surprising news that you didn't even talk about. I swear to God, I have a love hate relationship with this board. You people and your stupid little secrets that you say you have but are never allowed to talk about or discuss because "rules are rules". Why even have an effing board if we can't share new information that comes up because of fears of "getting sued"? Why even bring it up? You people appall me sometimes.
Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2012, 05:12:10 PM »

Yeah! Tell us about the remasters before innocent people throw their money away on Japanese imports!

FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2012, 05:15:15 PM »

I'd at least like to know IF we are getting what we think we are from the remasters.

Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2012, 05:19:58 PM »

Well that was a posted filled with no and bad news

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
doc smiley
Smiley Smile Associate

Timeless pounds the livin' daylights outta trendy

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2012, 05:21:12 PM »

Surprising news and observations
none here... so this is one step form a troll post...
if you can't say what you heard you shouldn't have made this post.

do yourself a favour and delete this whole thing if you can... Huh Undecided

"A voice or a song can be so comforting to someone who really needs it."
..................................Brian Wilson, 1990
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2012, 05:23:01 PM »

It was sick, man! People were popping Aleve like candy and even PRESCRIPTION anti-inflammatories... I saw this one guy slamming down Geritol before kissing a woman FULL ON THE LIPS! There was even displays of ankle. I haven't seen this kind of debauchery since the old Joe Franklin tv show...

The roadies had things like this in FULL SIGHT of children:

I think it's some kind of fancy drugs pipe, as I overheard one guy say he "thought he smelled drugs" but it "probably wasn't as good as the stuff we used to get."
« Last Edit: July 15, 2012, 05:34:39 PM by ontor pertawst » Logged
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2012, 05:24:33 PM »

To be fair, he did basically announce that WIBNTLA will be released on the upcoming box set and the new album that'll be out soon. 

18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2012, 05:32:35 PM »

It was the sex,drugs and rock and roll bullshit.. Who gives a toss.

It’s like he hired a fashion consultant and told her to make him look “punchable.”
Some Guy, 2012
"Donald Trump makes Mike Love look like an asshole"
Me ,2015.
DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2012, 05:56:50 PM »

he said he's gonna follow up with a full report, cut him some slack !

sockittome
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2012, 06:39:49 PM »

Well this is about three minutes I'll never get back.... Tongue
Jason
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2012, 07:38:10 PM »

I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt here...color me interested. Let's wait for the full report.
NatureShowInStereo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2012, 11:29:08 PM »

he said he's gonna follow up with a full report, cut him some slack !

Only if, you know... He doesn't get sued.

I can see it now at the BB camp: "Someone call our best lawyers right away, someone by the alias of SurfRiderHawaii witnessed a night backstage and he's going to tell EVERYONE about it! NOBODY HAS ANY RIGHT TO SHARE STORIES ABOUT THEIR BACKSTAGE EXPERIENCES. STOP THE TOUR. WE MUST DO SOMETHING NOW."
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2012, 03:47:07 AM »

No Decaf?  Shocked
MaxL
Smiley Smile Associate

"It's a damn shame"

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2012, 04:47:23 AM »

SurfRider clearly said he'll get around to it when he's not in transit. I agree it's a bit of a tease but I'm very much anticipating the full story (or however much he feels comfortable to divulge).

Sheesh, the impatience of some people Roll Eyes
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2012, 07:10:15 AM »

Ok...I'm out of the loop on a few things.  While we wait for the report, can someone fill me in on

1.  WIBNTLA???  What the funk is this?

2.  Box set???!!???   Shocked

3.  And did someone mention "new album?"  What?!

Huh Huh

I know about the Japanese remasters...
« Last Edit: July 16, 2012, 07:12:06 AM by Bean Bag » Logged

Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2012, 07:16:15 AM »

First i was excited when i read the post, but ended up thinking it was a bit useless.
Wah Wah Wah Ooooo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2012, 07:18:45 AM »

Ok...I'm out of the loop on a few things.  While we wait for the report, can someone fill me in on

1.  WIBNTLA???  What the funk is this?

2.  Box set???!!???   Shocked

3.  And did someone mention "new album?"  What?!

Huh Huh

I know about the Japanese remasters...

1. "Wouldn't It Be Nice To Live Again."  An outtake from the Surf's Up album, written by Dennis. Never been booted. The few that have heard it say it's a masterpiece.

2. There's been talk of a new, 5oth Anniversary box set coming out this fall since the reunion started.

3. Brian, Mike and Al have all indicated at one point or another that they're interested in more new Beach Boys material seeing the light of day.

"I'm in a band. We're called the Beach Boys." ~ Brian Wilson
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx