gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681291 Posts in 27630 Topics by 4081 Members - Latest Member: zappi June 01, 2024, 06:51:10 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Which show would you like a DVD/CD from?  (Read 13364 times)
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2012, 04:58:30 PM »

We're not getting remasters, so why on earth would we be getting a full-length show? Capitol has already decided there's no market for such things.

I don't see how the remasters and the DVD are mutually exclusive.  How are they connected?

Are you saying that Capitol has decided that there is no market for a full length show or that there is no market for a DVD at all?  And when exactly did Capitol "decide that?" ....again, because they appear to not be releasing the remasters in the US?

I don't even think there is anything that indicates Capitol would be the only label available to issue a live DVD/Blu-ray. Believe me, there are plenty of labels would would love to issue the DVD/Blu-ray from this 50th Anniversary tour. If Capitol were not interested (and I don't think there's any reason to think that), I could imagine Eagle Rock or Rhino or Shout or Image or numerous other labels putting it out.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2012, 05:01:28 PM »

I guess I'm just surprised at the widespread assumption that there will be a concert DVD, much less a decent one. We've already seen the first fruits of the tour filming -- a heavily overdubbed handful of songs featured on the PBS show. They couldn't even send a whole show to NPR -- just highlights from several shows awkwardly edited together.

We know a documentary is being made. We have multiple sources saying so. Not a single one of those sources has said they're doing a full concert release for DVD. Everyone here has just assumed it, and that makes me very uneasy.

I'd love a full, two-hour plus show on DVD, Blu-Ray and CD. I'd love it more than words could say. But count me skeptical for now.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2012, 05:04:59 PM by Wirestone » Logged
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2012, 05:04:29 PM »

The "Concert for George" DVD is indeed perfection but that is not the way I want to watch a Beach Boys show.  The reason that particular DVD worked so well was because of the occasion: it was a calm, subdued event for a recently passed musician.  It was intense but still very respectful--which is why it worked so well.  A Beach Boys show has several radical emotions, huge dips and peaks and I would not prefer this type of sleepy editing for "Fun, Fun, Fun."  

There needs to be a great balance between the fast paced MTV-style editing and the flacid in house shots.  The live show is a VERY dynamic and vibrant two and a half hours--the live DVD should capture that same feeling.  I hope the DVD tries to capture the feeling that every person who's seen the show felt as they left the venue: the overwhelming feeling of exhileration and love.  It shouldn't be misrepresented or tamed down.  That would be a huge disservice to the band and the music.

I agree with your sentiment. My issue is more about specifically the editing than it is the tone or "look" of it, although it's all important. See numerous McCartney live DVD's for evidence of some of the worst editing ever committed to film/videotape/disc. It's the style that is prevalent now, so I worry that it would infuse any BB video product. I don't like quick cuts, sideways shots, more shots of the audience than the band, etc. As I said, the St. Augustine show wasn't as bad as it could have been, but it wasn't too great either.

I have a particular issue with audience shots. I don't like it when we never see the audience (see, for a random example, the video of ELO's 1978 Wembly show; for all we know, it's an empty arena with a crowd dubbed in  LOL ). But I don't like it when it's 50/50 (or worse) of the audience and the band. I want to see the band, and frankly, I don't need to see the audience (me included!  LOL ). It's always either gratuitous shots of busty blondes in the front row, or it's a 60 year-old-due crying into his beer singing along to "Let It Be", or other generic "drunk baby boomers" footage.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2012, 05:06:27 PM »

I guess I'm just surprised at the widespread assumption that there will be a concert DVD, much less a decent one. We've already seen the first fruits of the tour filming -- a heavily overdubbed handful of songs featured on the PBS show. They couldn't even send a whole show to NPR -- just highlights from several shows awkwardly edited together.

We know a documentary is being made. We have multiple sources saying so. Not a single one of those sources has said they're doing a full concert release for DVD. Everyone here has just assumed it, and that makes me very uneasy.

I'd love a full, two-hour plus show. I'd love it more than words could say. But count me skeptical for now.

I'd have to back to see the exact wording of what Mike said during the QVC show, but he said a live DVD (seperate from the PBS special) comprising multiple shows was going to be released. I took that as no sort of promise of a full setlist being represented, or of full multiple shows. But it also seemed to be pitched as a DVD of live footage rather than simply a documentary.

scoop1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 13, 2012, 05:13:10 PM »

Hey fellow BB fans,

Can't wait for Sydney concert,

Can anyone recommend for all the Youtube footage to sift through out there which is the best quality video/audio to sit back and enjoy until a possible dvd comes out
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 13, 2012, 05:13:54 PM »

But count me skeptical for now.

I haven't been a hardcore BB fan for as long as you have to have that everlasting skepticism with this band--but nevertheless I totally know why it exists!

Anyway, it's too early to know for sure.  Let's reconvene here in a few months when one of us drudges up this thread to put up their "I told you so" post.  See ya then Cool
« Last Edit: July 13, 2012, 05:15:55 PM by Justin » Logged
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 13, 2012, 05:24:16 PM »

Hey fellow BB fans,

Can't wait for Sydney concert,

Can anyone recommend for all the Youtube footage to sift through out there which is the best quality video/audio to sit back and enjoy until a possible dvd comes out

I'd start here http://www.youtube.com/user/badboyview/videos?query=the+beach+boys

It's like watching a DVD

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 13, 2012, 08:39:01 PM »

My opinion is they're going to do this DVD right.  It may whittle a couple bad songs off, but it's going to be really well done with full songs, etc.

Question:

I'm old school.  I have a tube t.v.  I have a dvd player.  I have a cd player. 

I do not have an ipod.  I do not have a high def t.v., I do not have blueray.

Am I screwed?  Or do they still release things like this on DVD? 
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 13, 2012, 09:32:41 PM »

Yeah they still release stuff on DVD...Never known a concert DVD get a Blu-Ray release only.  You'll be fine!
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 13, 2012, 09:47:29 PM »

All of them. Plus Perth 1978 as a hidden easter egg.  Grin

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
PS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 13, 2012, 10:35:40 PM »

The DVD is being produced by David Levy (he graduated with me from high school 40 years ago, but I haven't been in touch with him yet about the film) who also produced the PBS show. i met the director briefly at Red Rocks, and frankly he looked quite young and unassuming enough to be one of my students - my guess is that he was not a BB veteran or superfan by any means. This is the same team, BTW, who also did the Do it Again promo video (that you may recall I posted here - a little prematurely, it turned out - after getting permission from a mutual high school friend of the producer). The director was also present at the Red Rocks interviews ("Why do you love The Beach Boys? What would you want to say to Brian Wilson if he was standing right in front of you?" etc.). My guess is that it will be closer to the PBS style edit - with testimonials from fans (think of the London pre-concert Smile segment of the Leaf doc), reaction shots of the audiences (the director himself was shooting a hand held HD camera from the stage POV at the Red Rocks audience - also shot lots of RR ambience before the show started, audience filing in, etc), some interviews with band members and crew, interspersed with travel/tour footage (something like the BW On Tour DVD, chatter, banter, airports, arrivals) and songs or partial songs (please no) from various sites around the U.S. and abroad (I can easily imagine them cutting away before the final cadences to an L-cut/audio advanced overlap of a testimonial, etc. to "keep it moving"). This will definitely not be a full concert kind of deal, but more like everything else we've been seeing - something between a memento, a promo, a scrapbook, and a celebration of/testimonial to this great band on their 50th anniversary reunion, etc.

A few of the older Brian Wilson performance DVD's were produced with great care and love by my old friend Maggie Magee (from Chicago connections at the time she hooked up with BriMel) and were directed by John Anderson (particularly the Smile concert, which i was a background part of). John (who WAS a superfan and knew the music inside and out and deeply cared for it) worked from a 40-page shooting script and essentially used the model of classical music shooting and editing to illuminate the music - I loved it, and think its one of the very best concert DVD's ever made. Maggie moved back to ireland and is no longer involved with Brian and Melinda (but they remain dear friends). I think the songs will be just one part of the overall montage, just like the PBS show - they'll cut away to a song at a different venue when it comes up in the flow of the narrative structure...I'm guessing it will be something like a "PBS for the Fans, extended, with audience members telling their stories in lieu of the Beach Boys (from whom we have already heard on the PBS and elsewhere about this occasion). Of course, the original five will get the last word in the summation. One can kind of easily envision it, based on what we have already...wish I was hopeful about it, but you can't really replay testimonials too many times (Billy H's CW DVD, anyone?). I love great concert DVD's because you can re-watch them and re-live the thrill of the show, especially in surround and especially when they don't over-cut to create false excitement (if everything is exciting, then nothing is...)

To answer the original question, John Anderson directing the Red Rocks show in 5.1 (like AlFal asked for- in lossless surround) would be my ideal request, in the next lifetime...
« Last Edit: July 13, 2012, 10:48:14 PM by PS » Logged
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 13, 2012, 10:57:48 PM »

Well, I woudl prefer it to just be like the SMiLE dvd, but either way I'm going to buy it and love it.  They'll be enough great stuff in their to make us happy.  I guess they do stuff like that to try and draw in people who aren't die hard fans, but us die hard fans would much rather just have the whole concert with nicely edited camera shots. 

If it came down to us fans, though... hell we'd buy dvd's of every show!  I'm not very materialistic, but man I swear to god I'd buy at least 5 different concert dvd's, even if the tracklist was the same. 
NatureShowInStereo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 14, 2012, 02:56:02 AM »

If I had things my way: I'd want the show I went to on DVD.

Realistically: As some on here have already proposed, I would love a dvd that included all of the very best captured performances of each song they played on the tour compiled into one. That would make my life.
Jaco
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: July 14, 2012, 03:08:25 AM »

there are some good (professional soundboard?) mixes on this channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/videojpp?feature=watch
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 14, 2012, 09:37:28 AM »

My opinion is they're going to do this DVD right.  It may whittle a couple bad songs off, but it's going to be really well done with full songs, etc.

Question:

I'm old school.  I have a tube t.v.  I have a dvd player.  I have a cd player. 

I do not have an ipod.  I do not have a high def t.v., I do not have blueray.

Am I screwed?  Or do they still release things like this on DVD? 

From another standard def old cube/"box" TV owner I'm with you, except I have iPhone/iPad (rerfurbs! that work great!)

You are not alone.  LOL

Hope they take clips for a complete setlist, including those titles that have been dropped from the setlist.  I think a panorama approach with different venues is consistent with the global appeal and fan response.  They have a lot of great stuff from which to draw.  Some shows were really spectacular, such as Saratoga, Bethel, Mohegan Sun II, and Boston. 

DVD's can fit a lot of stuff, including out takes and bonus clips.  The more the better, but, I'm just a greedy fan!  Wink

Using more geographic regions, honors the fans from those areas.  I bet the European and Pacific-based shows will add/substitute with the setlist.  And, many of  us would be happy to see it all!   Wink
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: July 14, 2012, 09:50:44 AM »

How depressing to hear it's going to be crammed full of goony audience members and bullshit testimonials from sweaty guys. As you said, limited replay value.

This will definitely not be a full concert kind of deal,

Drat. I can understand doing that for the PBS special, but... but...

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 14, 2012, 10:01:37 AM »

Roger Daltrey on his "Tommy" tour last year released digital audio copies of every concert he did on said tour from The Who's website.  Would be awesome if The Beach Boys did something like that.

Les P
Smiley Smile Associate

Cheese Pizza and Apple Pie

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 14, 2012, 10:44:35 AM »

I'd give my right nut for the Woodlands show.

I'd give your right nut just for "Marcella" from the Woodlands show.   Grin
Les P
Smiley Smile Associate

Cheese Pizza and Apple Pie

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 14, 2012, 11:02:04 AM »

Roger Daltrey on his "Tommy" tour last year released digital audio copies of every concert he did on said tour from The Who's website.  Would be awesome if The Beach Boys did something like that.

On their last U.S. tour The Who had a DVD available for each show...with proceeds going to charity.  It was professionally shot with well-mixed audio, and a perfect souvenir from the concert.  You would think the BBs would be happy to do this...with proceeds going to the Beach Boys, of course. Cheesy
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 17, 2012, 09:20:28 PM »

No real "new" information, per se, but this MSN blog is putting out the word that we can expect the Red Rocks show on DVD.  Of course, we don't know how much of the Red Rocks show we'll get but at least there's talk about it:

http://social.entertainment.msn.com/music/blogs/scene-and-heard-blogpost.aspx?post=36a652ee-5afa-4508-a779-f8f7eb051041
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 17, 2012, 09:26:52 PM »

Some more info from the author of the above piece (taken from the Steve Hoffman board):

That was my article about the Red Rocks release that got posted (thanks, poster, I tend not to hype my own stuff here). I wrote "DVD" release but seeing the equipment they were using I'd certainly not rule out blu-ray and CDs as well.

Nothing's set in stone. A number of acts have filmed/recorded Red Rocks shows in recent years and kept them in the vaults (including Neil Young's Greendale shows -- but that's Neil).

The Beach Boys are looking to share this tour and I would think they'd maximize any release through all formats. The Red Rocks show did get some rain but was otherwise superb. Lots of money spent having camera people do b-roll and audience reaction shots, so I'd give good odds that this show will see the light of day, especially given their Colorado/Caribou Ranch ties.

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showpost.php?p=7901760&postcount=727
ivy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 17, 2012, 09:33:34 PM »

At the Tahoe show, the venue was covered in flyers saying that the concert was being recorded for possible distribution. Three cameras were on the guys the whole night and would occasionally pan to the audience for a reaction shot. 

At the end of the night, Mike said something like "I hope you smiled for the cameras, you never know, you might see it on PBS some time."
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 17, 2012, 09:38:27 PM »

Yeah and they also taped a bunch load of concerts throughout the 70's...and still nada! Wink
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 18, 2012, 02:42:51 PM »

While most posts seem to be DVD related, I'll comment on a possible live CD.

How cheap are they to produce and market nowdays? I would love 50 songs on a 2CD set but is that still viable?

A mix of venues is fine as long as we don't hear a "Good evening New York" and later "Thanks LA" which some artists have done.

Give us the best recording of each song but leave it alone.....we can take it! The PBS video of 'Sail on Sailor' is a great watch but the vocals have been enhanced to death IMO.

I like Jeffs DIA band intro. Please keep it in.

Just my thoughts.
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 19, 2012, 01:53:00 AM »

While most posts seem to be DVD related, I'll comment on a possible live CD.

How cheap are they to produce and market nowdays? I would love 50 songs on a 2CD set but is that still viable?

CDs are dirt-cheap to produce in bulk -- and MP3s are almost cost-free to produce -- so from that point of view it's perfectly possible. The main thing that would hold either a 50-song CD or a full-concert DVD up is songwriting royalties -- every extra song requires a payment of mechanical royalties (for the CD) or sync royalties (for the DVD), and those are fixed payments. Given that people object to paying more than a few pounds/dollars for an album these days, the mechanical or sync royalties might actually come to more than the retail price of the CD/DVD.

There is, of course, the *possibility* that the publishing companies will agree to take a much reduced payment -- that sort of thing *can* happen, McCartney put out a 33-song live CD/DVD a couple of years ago -- but the Beach Boys aren't Paul McCartney.

I suspect we're likely to get a Brian Wilson On Tour style DVD and, if there's a CD at all, it'll be twenty songs max.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx