gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:58:12 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Which do you prefer?
Shut Down Vol. 2 - 13 (13.1%)
All Summer Long - 86 (86.9%)
Total Voters: 88

Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Twofer polls #3: Shut Down Vol. 2 vs All Summer Long  (Read 16177 times)
Nicko1234
« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2012, 07:37:08 PM »

There are similarities between the 2 albums in that they both start off brilliantly but both peter out badly.

SDV2 has 5 songs that are blatantly filller though including This Car of Mine. The lyrics to this one are dire, it is half-produced and just because Dennis sang it doesn`t make it good.

ASL is also patchy but has a much better success rate.
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2012, 07:50:19 PM »

Just to be contrary, I voted for Shut Down. Plus, as a longstanding Louie Louie Club member, I am required to vote for any album which contains Richard Berry's classic.

dude. I might have to go Shut Down too.  It got played more because it's first.  That lovely naive era:  Surfin' Safari, USA and stuff.  Raw and more suburban, garage goof-ball.  It's called volume 2!  

This one's hard as shidt for me

Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2012, 07:54:31 PM »

Girls On The Beach.  Wendy.  We'll Run Away.

What's to decide?

Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2012, 08:14:15 PM »

You can throw Deuce Coupe and Surfer Girl in too.  All these albums are way too much fun for me.   So I can't decide.

Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 13, 2012, 08:28:12 PM »

Surfer Girl by a country mile, over anything before "Days... Nights"

Surfer Girl is solid, all the way through. 
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 13, 2012, 10:02:31 PM »

I can't argue with that, Surfer Girl is solid!!

My problem is, all 4 of these ablums are primetime.  The tops.  The later albums are a little more rankable.  But the guys on these four early records are, THE BEACH BOYS!!!

I really do cherish every second.  I know they each have their strengths & weaknesses.  One's taller, one's shorter.  One surfs.  The others don't.  One's downing root beer -- the other a milkshake AND a burger AND a plate of fries.

Transcendental Meditation

Go cherry, cherry coupe now!!!
« Last Edit: July 13, 2012, 11:01:39 PM by Bean Bag » Logged

Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 13, 2012, 10:48:36 PM »

Tracklist for the extraordinary Surfer Girl album:

1. Surfer Girl
2. Catch A Wave
3. The Surfer Moon
4. South Bay Surfer
5. The Rocking Surfer
6. Little Deuce Coupe
7. In My Room
8. Hawaii
9. Sufer's Rule
10. Our Car Culb
11. Your Summer Dream
12. Boogie Woodie

I'd say Surfer Girl is one of the greatest albums of the early 60's by any band... I'm surprised they don't get more critical acclaim specifically for this album.  They pretty much perfected what they were doing with the surf/chick/high school thing on this album.  It has seeds of the brilliance that would follow in things like "In My Room".  I mean come on.  19 year old Brian singing about hiding in his bedroom.  Why that doesn't get talked about more astounds me. 

so

- Surfer Girl - Not much to say about this track that hasn't been said before, of course it's place in music history is already cemented.  Out of all of their songs, it's one of the most timeless.  It's pretty much an exibition of why they're great.  If somebody asks you what Brian Wilson was good at, play them this song.  Beautiful in every way.

- Catch A Wave - I like the philosophy of it.  To me, they're talking about the highpoints of life, not necessarily surfing.  "They'll hit the road, and I"ll be surfin' soon... and when they, catch a wave they'll be sittin' on top of the world!"  He's talking about the tent poles that hold up our lives, things we look back on and enjoy.  Our childhood.  Our first Love.  Our true love.  Our children.  Loved ones we've loved and lost.  Etc.  Catch a wave, and you're sittin' on top of the world.

- The Surfer Moon - crooning at it's best.  Brian being  god-like with his vocal, just so naturally talented, it's kind of awe inspiring to hear vocals like this.  Such a nice smooth pure voice, beautiful song.

- South Bay Surfer - I like the song, I understand many might not.  I just like the sing songy nature of it, the bragging... I like how they all sing it pretty straight without much variance in the harmony vocals... they sound like a gang, which is of course pretty much what they're singing about.

- The Rocking Surfer - It's an instrumental, so if you're a fan of instrumentals you'll love it, if you dont' get instrumentals you'll skip it.  Nothing I say will convert you or explain it any better, lol.

- Little Deuce Coupe - while if I remember correctly, this is a different edit than the famous one, it's still Little Deuce Coupe.  I love, love, love how when they get to the chorus, Mike drops down into the bassline and Brian comes in with that awesome falsetto.  "You don't know what I gottttttt".  One of my favorite memories of the Beach Boys music was a hot girlfriend of mine drunkenly singing this song into my ear.  Doesn't get much better than that, folks.  Caught that wave!

- In My Room - early introspection, one of the first times their music actually meant something more than fun.  That's ignoring how well it's sung by everybody on it, Mike's bass vocals return for more awesomeness. 

- Hawaii.  - I had never heard this song as a kid, when I finally heard it after buying this album, I was blown away!  How was something this cool never a big radio song?  Brian's falsetto is on another planet.  "Honalulu... Wai Ki Ki!!!! Do You wanna Come Along with Me?" I even like the way Mike says "Purty Girls!"   Mike's vocal is really cool on this, it has a strange pace to it, like he accidentally squeezes one too many syllables in there somewhere or something.  "All My Life, I wanted to see the Island Called Hawaii!"    Something about it. 

- Surfer's Rule - Kind of weak I suppose.  The end is much better, with Brian nipping Frankie Valli's melody from Walk Like a Man I suppose?  That may have not been on the album version, can't remember.

- Our Car Club - this song is really, really good.  I like the 'harmony in a can' type of background vocals, it's like Brian's pushing a button and a computer is making 5 different people sound awesome.  "We'll Start... a Car Club!"  It's also one of those awesome songs where somebody's not singing the right lyrics, or you just can't make out what they're trying to do... the backing vocals switch around a little bit where it seems one guy is singing "We'll start, a car club" and somebody else is singing "Car Club... Car Club!" or something.  I love the nasty-sounding horn or whatever that is on it too.  Really bassy and reedy sounding, sounds like a strip club.

- Your Summer Dream - Whoa.  If you want to feel 16 again, play this one.  Another one of Brian's sweaty, smooth lead vocals.  This is one of those songs that I've gotta admit preys upon your memories a little bit.  It's good... but the combination of the song, and the memories it brings up makes it great. 

- Boogie Woodie - another instrumental, you either like them or leave them. 

All in all, I think it's an absolutely fantastic album, and I love that it's the Beach Boys doing their 'fun in the sun' thing, but nobody else can pull it off.  It's the common denominator Beach Boys stereotypical music, but functioning on a level nobody else ever pulled off.  Nobody ever sang "Surfer Girl" or anything even fucking close to it.  The temptations, one of the greatest vocal groups ever, fall dead at the feet of that song.  It's a monster.  All that, by a bunch of kids who had no clue what they were doing.  Fantastic album, showing the Beach Boys at their doo wop best. 
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 13, 2012, 11:00:29 PM »

You said a lot, but I think I agree with just about all of it. 

To your point:  3 1/2 stars??  For Surfer Girl?   Roll Eyes Seriously?
http://www.allmusic.com/album/surfer-girl-mw0000312862

I think all these classic 60s albums are totally cherry.  Allmusic gave Little Deuce Coupe... 2 stars.  Two lousy stars.   Huh  I love Little Deuce Coupe.  I must be on tons of droogs, cuz I love it.

Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 13, 2012, 11:12:32 PM »

Here's mine.  I guess I like All Summer Long better. 

1. Don't Worry Baby
2. I Get Around
3. Girls on the Beach
4. Hushabye
5. Drive-In
6. All Summer Long
7. Wendy
8. In The Parkin' Lot
9. This Car of Mine
10. The Warmth of the Sun
11. Fun, Fun, Fun
12. Keep an Eye on Summer
13. Don't Back Down
14. Louie, Louie
15. Carl's Big Chance
16. Little Honda
17. Why Do Fools Fall in Love
18. Do You Remember?
19. Pom Pom Play Girl
20. Denny's Drums
21. We'll Run Away
22. Shut Down, Pt. II
23. Cassius Love vs. Sonny Wilson
24. Our Favorite Recording Sessions
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 14, 2012, 12:56:32 AM »

Don't Worry Baby > All Summer Long LP

All Summer Long LP > Shut Down Vol. 2 LP

3D
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 14, 2012, 03:10:37 AM »

All Summer Long is the shi*, in yet  another despicably difficult choice

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
JT PDX
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 14, 2012, 10:36:37 AM »

Don't Worry Baby > All Summer Long LP

All Summer Long LP > Shut Down Vol. 2 LP

3D

Totally agreed! Had to vote for ASL. SDV2 ends with such a whimper. It's sad after all of the many highlights on that album. At the rate they were putting out albums though, I hardly blame them for the filler. Plus it's fun to have "bad" music to complain about. I made some top 10 BB albums lists for friends and it just crushed me to leave out Don't Worry Baby, but its parent album doesn't pass muster.
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 14, 2012, 07:11:50 PM »

I hardly blame them for the filler. Plus it's fun to have "bad" music to complain about.
The filler is what makes them so special.  Most band's filler is bad.  For the Beach Boys...hehehe...the filler is something all togther different.

It's such a window into the band.  No different than "Lines" from Adult Child.  Or "baseball's on!"  Or "...a cigarette, when you flick it in the water -- goes, pfft."  There's something so regular joe about them.  They may not be poetry, but they're so honest and unfiltered.  A lot of them have great hooks.  A chord or harmony you wish you could hold on to.

Plus they're so damn care free.  Especially on these early 4 albums.  Horsing around in the garage on a Saturday afternoon.  That's precious, holy time, as far as I'm concerned!
« Last Edit: July 14, 2012, 07:16:04 PM by Bean Bag » Logged

Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 14, 2012, 08:37:42 PM »

I'm one of the few, but i had to go SDV2.  When it came down to it, if i  could only have one of them to listen to, I'd pick the album with Fun Fun Fun, Don't Worry Baby, Warmth of the Sun and Keep an Eye On Summer over I Get Around/We'll Run Away/All Summer Long/Wendy.
JT PDX
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 15, 2012, 12:16:22 AM »

The filler is what makes them so special.  Most band's filler is bad. [...] There's something so regular joe about them.  They may not be poetry, but they're so honest and unfiltered.

You've put it very well. Even most of the "bad" stuff the Beach Boys have done has a real appeal. It's unpretentious and sometimes naive. The only songs I skip now and then are some of the talking ones just cause they get tedious after a while, but I love tracks like Bugged at My Old Man or even Denny's Drums.
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 15, 2012, 05:20:52 PM »

Just heard "We'll Run Away" Strangely done, but amazing!

Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 15, 2012, 06:42:24 PM »

To me Shut Down II along with LDC are Brian in a rut. Although, there are some strong moments. But All Summer Long is to the Beach Boys what Hard Days Night is to the Beatles. A bunch of good songs. The 'filler' tracks could be singles for most other bands.

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
startBBtoday
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 15, 2012, 07:31:58 PM »

These threads are going to showcase just how much stronger the Beach Boys early albums would have been if there wasn't such oversaturation in the early 60s. Today bands release at the very most one album per year. If the Beach Boys had been doing that in the early 60s without the filler and without so many covers/instrumentals, every album would have been a five star album.

Seriously, imagine this album:

I Get Around
Don't Back Down
Don't Worry Baby
All Summer Long
Little Honda
Warmth of the Sun

Fun, Fun, Fun
This Car of Mine
Wendy
Keep an Eye on Summer
We'll Run Away
Girls On the Beach
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 16, 2012, 07:21:25 AM »

These threads are going to showcase just how much stronger the Beach Boys early albums would have been if there wasn't such oversaturation in the early 60s. Today bands release at the very most one album per year. If the Beach Boys had been doing that in the early 60s without the filler and without so many covers/instrumentals, every album would have been a five star album.

Seriously, imagine this album:

I Get Around
Don't Back Down
Don't Worry Baby
All Summer Long
Little Honda
Warmth of the Sun

Fun, Fun, Fun
This Car of Mine
Wendy
Keep an Eye on Summer
We'll Run Away
Girls On the Beach
It's unfathomable, in today's world, how much stuff the Beach Boys cranked out in such a short time.  I maybe cruel for wanting it...but I wish Brian cranked out stuff like this during the 70s.  To me,...yes we got "filler" (which I love) but it seems that's how Brian worked.  It was all or nothing.  Feast or famine.  Drought or monsoon.

So...I'm not sure we would have gotten all those fantastic songs you list there...if there wasn't those insane demands.  Be they marketing demands, personal creative demands...or angry, hulking Murray demands..."c'mon buddy...I'm a jeanie-us too!"

drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 16, 2012, 07:52:41 AM »

For it being the age of  the 45 Single, The Beach Boys did pretty darn good recording at the pace that they did. I've heard plenty of albums by other artists of the day, and I think the Boys' filler tracks are as good or better than most, if not all of their peers. Had I not really enjoyed the album filler, I doubt that I would have become a life-long hardcore fan. Hey, it's easy just to like the hits. Wink

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 21, 2012, 10:10:17 PM »

For it being the age of  the 45 Single, The Beach Boys did pretty darn good recording at the pace that they did. I've heard plenty of albums by other artists of the day, and I think the Boys' filler tracks are as good or better than most, if not all of their peers. Had I not really enjoyed the album filler, I doubt that I would have become a life-long hardcore fan. Hey, it's easy just to like the hits. Wink

Some of the BB filler songs were good enough to be singles for many other bands!

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 22, 2012, 03:37:56 AM »

If the question was "which is better?" then on an objective level it'd have to be All Summer Long. But since the question was "Which do you prefer?", and since I very rarely listen to the pre-Today albums as albums, rather than just favourite tracks, then Fun Fun Fun, Don't Worry Baby and Warmth Of The Sun beat out everything on All Summer Long combined.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
NHC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 23, 2012, 01:13:48 PM »

All Summer Long because its the best Beach Boys album ever!

If not, then darned close, certainly if we remove Pet Sounds from the discussion and into a "stands alone" status.  Like LDC, not a throwaway to be found.
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 23, 2012, 01:32:25 PM »

All Summer Long because its the best Beach Boys album ever!

If not, then darned close, certainly if we remove Pet Sounds from the discussion and into a "stands alone" status.  Like LDC, not a throwaway to be found.

Our Favorite Recording Sessions - that's filler defined. I know it's cool for Beach Boys fans to hear antics in the studio, but that doesn't make it any less of a throwaway.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
NHC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 23, 2012, 10:22:01 PM »

You got me there, EgoHanger. it is filler.  But filler I can live with and it doesn't detract from the rest of the album.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx