gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 10:25:00 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Which do you prefer?
Shut Down Vol. 2 - 13 (13.1%)
All Summer Long - 86 (86.9%)
Total Voters: 88

Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Twofer polls #3: Shut Down Vol. 2 vs All Summer Long  (Read 16182 times)
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« on: July 13, 2012, 07:40:13 AM »

Sunflower vs Surf's Up seems to have reached its conclusion, Sunflower winning with a lead of 67% that far exceeded my 55% prediction. (I'll keep all polls open for any who missed them).

As Poll #2 disappears from the main page, I reckon it's time for the next showdown ...

I hope most of you'll forgive me taking some liberties with the 3rd twofer poll. Rather than pitting Shut Down Vol 2 against Surfer Girl, or All Summer Long against Little Deuce Coupe, I've matched them up with their chronological counterparts where they kind of should be, so the 63 albums are together in one poll, and the 64 together in another. I'm sure this may bother some, but I thought it would make for more sensible (and even) matches.

Therefore #3 sees Shut Down Vol 2 revving up against All Summer Long. Arguably the most archetypal Beach Boys albums. I have a hunch that ASL is going to triumph here but then again Shut Down 2 has some of Brian and Mike's greatest compositions. I'm going to need time to consider this one ...

« Last Edit: July 14, 2012, 01:58:11 AM by buddhahat » Logged

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

They know I'm rock 'n' roll through and through.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2012, 07:55:43 AM »

I hope most of you'll forgive me taking some liberties with the 3rd twofer poll. Rather than pitting Shut Down Vol 2 against Surfer Girl, or All Summer Long against Little Deuce Coupe, I've matched them up with their chronological counterparts where they kind of should be, so the 63 albums are together in one poll, and the 64 together in another. I'm sure this may bother some, but I thought it would make for more sensible (and even) matches.

Don't worry. After all (I think) the only reason the albums weren't paired up like that is because 'Little Deuce Coupe' had two songs that were also on 'Surfer Girl' and it would've been weird. I think it's definitely fairer this way.

Anyway, as much as I love 'Don't Worry Baby', 'Fun, Fun, Fun', 'Keep An Eye on Summer' and 'The Warmth of The Sun', SDV2 has way too many fillers to stand up to the greatness of All Summer Long, their best album to date (IMO).
« Last Edit: July 13, 2012, 07:56:34 AM by Sail On, Brian » Logged
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2012, 07:56:24 AM »

Shut Down Vol. 2: three classics, three good songs, three mediocre songs, three bad fillers.
All Summer Long: two classics, seven good songs, two medicore songs, one bad filler. Plus, it's got I Get Around, my favorite pre-Pet Sounds song.

All Summer Long wins.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2012, 08:00:29 AM »

Easiest one so far, All summer Long by a mile

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2012, 08:07:36 AM »

The album with 'We'll Run Away' on it gets my vote Grin

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2012, 08:50:37 AM »

All Summer Long because its the best Beach Boys album ever!
Amanda Hart
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2012, 08:51:31 AM »

I have a hunch that ASL is going to triumph here

The vote now stands at 10-0, so your hunch was on the money.

Shut Down Vol. 2 has some amazing songs, but the filler keeps it from being really solid. You can call something like "Carl's Big Chance" from ASL filler, but it's a nice instrumental, I never have the urge to skip it. Obviously "Our Favorite Recording Sessions" is filler too, but I would take that over "Louie Louie" any day.

ASL is one of those albums I could listen to anytime, anywhere.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2012, 08:57:25 AM »

I think we know there'll be at least one vote for Shut Down (http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,13405.0.html)!

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2012, 08:59:19 AM »

All Summer Long because its the best Beach Boys album ever!

Ha ha! I was going to write something about your vote being a no brainer but I hadn't seen you in the other polls so wasn't sure you'd be in this one.

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2012, 10:10:41 AM »

I have a hunch that ASL is going to triumph here

The vote now stands at 10-0, so your hunch was on the money.

Shut Down Vol. 2 has some amazing songs, but the filler keeps it from being really solid. You can call something like "Carl's Big Chance" from ASL filler, but it's a nice instrumental, I never have the urge to skip it. Obviously "Our Favorite Recording Sessions" is filler too, but I would take that over "Louie Louie" any day.

ASL is one of those albums I could listen to anytime, anywhere.
I absolutely agree with you.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2012, 12:10:02 PM »

Carl blew his Big Chance, Do You Remember and Drive-in are my least favorite Beach Boys songs, and Girls on the Beach is a retread of Surfer Girl. Hushabye I'm sort of meh about.

All this combined makes ASL my least favorite Beach Boys album.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2012, 12:23:17 PM »

All Summer Long is a more solid and cosistent record but personally I prefer Shut Down II. This Car of Mine, bitches.
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2012, 12:31:59 PM »

The highs are higher on Shut Down Vol 2 but ultimately had to go with ASL if we're talking full albums.

Although, as far as non-music filler Wilson vs. Love is pretty funny......Recording Sessions is just there.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2012, 12:33:58 PM »

One time I liked This Car of Mine I wrote a short story inspired by it. (there's no car in the story, though. it's about romantic attraction.)

don't ask me if you can read it.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2012, 12:35:43 PM »

One time I liked This Car of Mine I wrote a short story inspired by it. (there's no car in the story, though. it's about romantic attraction.)

Can I read it?

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2012, 12:36:31 PM »

no, haha.

drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2012, 01:03:25 PM »

Will you read it to us, then? Wink

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Letsgoawayforawhile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2012, 01:05:36 PM »

Carl blew his Big Chance, Do You Remember and Drive-in are my least favorite Beach Boys songs, and Girls on the Beach is a retread of Surfer Girl. Hushabye I'm sort of meh about.

You like Summer In Paradise more?
Ahhhhhhhhh!!!!

“Simple it's not, I'm afraid you will find, for a mind maker-upper to make up his mind”
- Dr. Seuss
Paulos
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2012, 01:15:14 PM »

Aegir, you are one of the most level-headed and reasonable members on this board and I always enjoy your posts, but your stance on All Summer Long leaves me utterly baffled! Ah well each to their own, All Summer Long by a mile for me, I Get Around, Don't Back Down, Girls On The Beach, Hushabye, Wendy, Little Honda and All Summer Long are indispensable classics to me. Shut Down Vol 2 has Fun Fun Fun, Don't Worry Baby, Warmth Of The Sun and In The Parking Lot but the rest is too uneven and inconsistent for me.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2012, 01:18:56 PM »

Just to be contrary, I voted for Shut Down. Plus, as a longstanding Louie Louie Club member, I am required to vote for any album which contains Richard Berry's classic.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2012, 01:38:59 PM »

You like Summer In Paradise more?
Ahhhhhhhhh!!!!

yep, I don't dislike any song on Summer in Paradise. there's few I really like, but none I dislike. Drive-in I just can't stand. the only Beach Boys song I dislike more is the version of Little Saint Nick which uses the Drive-in track.

TimeToGetAlone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2012, 01:55:19 PM »

I think the two are much closer than the poll suggests, but I did still vote for All Summer Long.  Shut Down Volume 2 probably has the two best songs out of the two albums IMO (Don't Worry Baby and Warmth of the Sun), but  suffers from a weak side 2 with a lot of filler.

I actually think they're extremely comparable albums in terms of what types of songs they contain.  You've got a rock and roll hit single about cars (Fun Fun Fun and I Get Around), another solid car-themed track (This Car of Mine and Little Honda), surf instrumentals (Shut Down, Part II and Carl's Big Chance), shameless filler tracks (Cassius Love vs. Sonny Wilson and Our Favorite Recording Sessions), sunny upbeat staples (Don't Worry Baby and All Summer Long), slow pretty ballads (Warmth of the Sun/Your Summer Dream and We'll Run Away/Girls on the Beach), and doo-wop covers (Why Do Fools Fall in Love vs. Hushabye).  Most of these comparisons are respectably close.  All Summer Long proves to be a little more consistent though as out of the rest of the remaining tracks, I prefer Wendy and Don't Back Down.

As usual I'm ranking the songs of the two albums...

Don't Worry Baby
The Warmth of the Sun
All Summer Long
I Get Around
Girls on the Beach
Keep an Eye on Summer
We'll Run Away
Hushabye
Wendy
Little Honda
This Car of Mine
Fun, Fun, Fun
Don't Back Down
Why Do Fools Fall in Love
In the Parkin' Lot
Do You Remember?
Drive-In
Pom Pom Play Girl
Shut Down, Part II
Louie, Louie
Carl's Big Chance
"Cassius" Love vs. "Sonny" Wilson
Denny's Drums
Our Favorite Recording Sessions
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2012, 03:19:36 PM »

The Warmth of the Sun
Don't Worry Baby
I Get Around
Wendy
All Summer Long
In the Parkin' Lot
Pom Pom Play Girl
Hushabye
Fun, Fun, Fun
Keep an Eye on Summer
Girls on the Beach
Little Honda
We'll Run Away
Drive-In
Don't Back Down
This Car of Mine
Do You Remember?
Why Do Fools Fall in Love
Shut Down, Part II
Louie, Louie
Carl's Big Chance
Denny's Drums
"Cassius" Love vs. "Sonny" Wilson
Our Favorite Recording Sessions

This is such a close one for me I had to use Time To Get Alone's scientific method to determine which I prefer! And it still isn't obvious!!

All Summer Long seems to hang together better as an album, and feels more consistent throughout, although I have to say The Warmth Of The Sun and Don't Worry baby slay everything on ASL for me with the exception of maybe I Get Around. SD really has the greatest first few tracks, and the cover art - that brooding group shot that Peter Blake incorporated into one of his paintings - is so incredible. Aside from the killer one-two punch start, SD Vol 2 also has the most fun tracks in Parking Lot and Pom Pom Playgirl - those are pure Brian for me.

But ultimately I'll have to go for All Summer Long as it's more consistent. Close call though, for me.

LetHimRun
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2012, 05:01:17 PM »

ASL for me. SDV2 has a lot of very high highs, but a few too many lows. A tad bit inconsistent.
MyGlove
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2012, 07:19:32 PM »

Both have songs in my top ten BB songs of all time. This is actually a hard one for me. Cassius Love is a bit worse than absolutely terrible, but I don't have it on my Ipod so everything there is great too. But i'll go with ASL. I like all of the songs on both of these (notice i said songs, not studio banter), but i think i listen to ASL a little more often
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx