gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 03:12:04 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Which do you prefer?
Shut Down Vol. 2 - 13 (13.1%)
All Summer Long - 86 (86.9%)
Total Voters: 88

Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Twofer polls #3: Shut Down Vol. 2 vs All Summer Long  (Read 16184 times)
Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #50 on: August 03, 2012, 11:43:14 AM »

You got me there, EgoHanger. it is filler.  But filler I can live with and it doesn't detract from the rest of the album.

When it comes to filler, I prefer the inspired acting performances of "Cassius Love v. Sonny Wilson" to the meaningless studio sounds of "Our Favorite Recording Sessions". Maybe placing Cassius so early in the record was a misstep, but maybe a good laugh is what the nation needed at that point in time and a smile before the mournful sadness of "Warmth of the Sun". '

Denny's vocal on "This Car of Mine" is one of his most honest and touching. He sings the song to me as if I were his buddy riding shotgun.

Shut Down Part 2 is one of my favorite Beach Boys instrumentals. Makes me want to drive fast and run over people in the mall parking lot. 

"Pom Pom Playgirl" has great lyrics. I like it when Carl sings, "Full back". I don't know why.

Rest of the album is big hits and need no defense from me. Well, maybe Denny's drums. But that's okay. Every member should have gotten a showcase. When did Al get his "big chance", dammit?

Okay, All Summer Long might overall be a little more steady of a musical erection....but I say Shut Down II ain't too shabby neither.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 03, 2012, 11:46:28 AM »

I dunno, I think the chatter of Recording Sessions is pretty carefully selected and edited. The scripted finale where Brian is pretending to cue a vocal take but is really coming up with a great, subtle segue into the final track of the album, that's smart, funny stuff. Reminds me of Revolution 9/Good Night.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 03, 2012, 11:49:33 AM »

You got me there, EgoHanger. it is filler.  But filler I can live with and it doesn't detract from the rest of the album.

When it comes to filler, I prefer the inspired acting performances of "Cassius Love v. Sonny Wilson" to the meaningless studio sounds of "Our Favorite Recording Sessions". Maybe placing Cassius so early in the record was a misstep, but maybe a good laugh is what the nation needed at that point in time and a smile before the mournful sadness of "Warmth of the Sun". '

Denny's vocal on "This Car of Mine" is one of his most honest and touching. He sings the song to me as if I were his buddy riding shotgun.

Shut Down Part 2 is one of my favorite Beach Boys instrumentals. Makes me want to drive fast and run over people in the mall parking lot. 

"Pom Pom Playgirl" has great lyrics. I like it when Carl sings, "Full back". I don't know why.

Rest of the album is big hits and need no defense from me. Well, maybe Denny's drums. But that's okay. Every member should have gotten a showcase. When did Al get his "big chance", dammit?

Okay, All Summer Long might overall be a little more steady of a musical erection....but I say Shut Down II ain't too shabby neither.

I can dig most of this. I, too, agree that Cassius is better than Our Favorite Recording Sessions. It is actually really funny. We also both agree that the placement of this track is what makes it appear weaker than it actually is, especially in the cd era where there is no side one and side two. If placed at the end of the album, I think it would actually be cool. But, you kind of have to admit, it is the textbook definition of filler. Not that it isn't enjoyable, or humorous, but it is what it is.

I'd love to hear the mono version of This Car of Mine - I think I'd like Dennis' vocal more. The double tracked leads being split up in each channel of the stereo field doesn't jive with me, especially on this song.

Pom Pom Playgirl is great.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
Catbirdman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 03, 2012, 12:35:55 PM »

I dunno, I think the chatter of Recording Sessions is pretty carefully selected and edited. The scripted finale where Brian is pretending to cue a vocal take but is really coming up with a great, subtle segue into the final track of the album, that's smart, funny stuff. Reminds me of Revolution 9/Good Night.

Agree. I can't stay quiet anymore because I see "Our Favorite Recording Sessions" get denigrated time and time again, and I've come to experience it as an essential ingredient in the celebration of fun and games that is the All Summer Long album. OFRS is to ASL as YUA! is to H&V. I wouldn't have it any other way.

My real name is Peter Aaron Beyer. I live in Baltimore, Maryland, USA.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 03, 2012, 12:45:26 PM »

Agree. I can't stay quiet anymore because I see "Our Favorite Recording Sessions" get denigrated time and time again, and I've come to experience it as an essential ingredient in the celebration of fun and games that is the All Summer Long album. OFRS is to ASL as YUA! is to H&V. I wouldn't have it any other way.

Yeah, it breaks the fourth wall.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
TimeToGetAlone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 03, 2012, 01:18:32 PM »

Looking back at the poll, I think these two albums should be far closer.  I mean, I gave the edge to All Summer Long but I had to think about it and it still wasn't an easy decision.  It certainly deserves to be far closer in my mind than something like Love You vs. 15 Big Ones (or even Today! vs. Summer Days).
« Last Edit: August 03, 2012, 02:14:21 PM by TimeToGetAlone » Logged
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 04, 2012, 10:38:48 AM »

"Our Favorite Recording Sessions" is a good time, certainly more worthwhile than "Bull Session With Big IFjasd". I wouldn't remove any of these tracks, though - there's something or other that's interesting in all of them. I'm not sure why the albums are given so much flack over these tracks - is it the typical Beach Boys over-defensive thing?

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
bluesno1fann
« Reply #57 on: February 08, 2014, 02:10:08 AM »

For The Warmth Of The Sun alone, gotta be Shut Down Vol. 2!

All Summer Long is all right, but I've always considered it to be their most overrated album.
chrs_mrgn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 08, 2014, 09:11:45 AM »

All Summer Long, easily.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx