gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680740 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 18, 2024, 05:17:33 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: This slice of baroque pop called out for some harpsichord...  (Read 1860 times)
kwan_dk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« on: June 24, 2012, 01:00:32 PM »

Here's a song I wrote on my balcony on a sunny afternoon last September, hence the lyrics. It's taken us forever to get around to record it, but now it's finally mixed and playable on our Reverb Nation account.

We're suckers for late 60s sunshine pop & baroque pop so naturally we went for an, ahem, harpsichord-laden approach. After the guitar-solo there's a brief section where the song turns into a waltz!  Grin 

http://www.reverbnation.com/play_now/song_13667510?utm_campaign=opengraph&utm_content=song&utm_medium=link&utm_source=facebook

As always any feedback, good or bad, is more than welcome.  Smiley

Kwan_dk / Surf School Dropouts

EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2012, 01:05:05 PM »

This is the best thing I've heard from you. It sounds like a Turtles song. More people need to write songs that sound like the Turtles.

Is this a final mix?

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
kwan_dk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2012, 01:38:53 PM »

This is the best thing I've heard from you. It sounds like a Turtles song. More people need to write songs that sound like the Turtles.

Is this a final mix?

Thanks man - much appreciated. As a massive Turtles / Flo & Eddie fan that's some praise!  Smiley

Yeah, it's supposed to be the final mix after much tweaking. We record in our rehearsal space with a fairly modest setup so there's a certain limit to how much we can do mixing-wise due to how the parts were recorded. Do you ask because you have any suggestions?
« Last Edit: June 24, 2012, 01:44:15 PM by kwan_dk » Logged

EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2012, 01:48:28 PM »

I do have a couple suggestions, if that's OK. If not, I'll bugger off!

I'd say mix some of the music elements wider and mix the double tracked vocal to the center. One of my pet peeves is a double tracked lead vocal that is split up in each channel - that's just me, though.
Also, maybe something to make the snare drum become a little more "crunchy". A little more pop.

Other than that, though, perfect! I love the waltz breakdown. Make a whole pop album like this and it could be the best of 2013!

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
kwan_dk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2012, 02:00:15 PM »

Well, those certainly are good suggestions. We've been debating whether to have the doubletracked lead centered but some of us think the lead voice then comes across as too robotic. I guess it's a matter of personal taste and the current mix has been a compromise we all could agree on. I'll tell you - four guys debating on when it's a final mix can go on forever.  Smiley

Good point on the snare drum.

Again; thank you for the kind words.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2012, 02:02:28 PM by kwan_dk » Logged

seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2012, 02:46:26 PM »

Me and my girl are diggin this! Very cool song dude. Keep it up!
kwan_dk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2012, 02:58:26 PM »

Thanks seltaeb. Glad you like it. The weather in Denmark is horribly cloudy & rainy as of typing this so the message of the song seems very to the point. No sunshine in sight here, sadly!  Sad

SBonilla
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2012, 03:46:48 PM »

Nice tune. You might consider dropping the BG's on the first verse but keep them on the first sub chorus. After the 3/4 section, I almost want to hear the whole first line (run outside and catch the sunshine), naked, with no backing and on the next line sing non word, longer note, ooohs, whoas or whatever, with the BG vocals and track underneath.

If I were trying to find out more about the song, I would probably ask, 'who sings that song, "Catch The Sunshine?"
kwan_dk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2012, 01:51:23 PM »

Thanks for the suggestions, SBonilla.  Smiley

To these ears the 'ah-ahh' backing vocals during the verse make for a nice hook so they'll stay there. I guess it's a matter of personal taste - the same goes for the ending which I prefer the way it is. We originally planned to only feature the lead vocal during the break like you suggest but in the end we decided the 'ba-ba-bas' were a pretty cool touch even though they're only there for a few seconds.

You got a good point concerning the title! The thing is, we have another song underway which also feature the word 'sunshine' in the lyric & proposed title and seeing that each chorus here ends with 'We'll Follow the Sun' we just went with that.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2012, 01:53:08 PM by kwan_dk » Logged

Empire Of Love
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2012, 10:22:38 PM »

Hey, is this the one for which I heard the backing track?  It must be, given the lyrics.  If I recall correctly, you wrote this one, right?  I don't understand how you right such great stuff without playing an instrument.  I like this one a lot.

When is the album going to be released?

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2012, 01:55:52 PM »

Love it!! It's got a great Zombies vibe with a twist of surf!

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
kwan_dk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2012, 12:58:08 PM »

Thank you for the kind words mypetsounds & rab2591.

Hey, is this the one for which I heard the backing track?  It must be, given the lyrics.  If I recall correctly, you wrote this one, right?  I don't understand how you right such great stuff without playing an instrument.  I like this one a lot.

When is the album going to be released?

Yes, that's the one. The process basically is that I just go around and hum a few ideas until I have a melody I'm satisfied with. I write a full set of lyrics for it and then I sing the song (meaning, the lead vocal / the melody) to one of the other Surf School Dropouts. He figures out which chords go with the melody and arranges a backing track with some input from me - in this case specifically going for a sunshine pop sound and featuring some distinctive harpsichord throughout.

I really can't give enough credit to my friend & Co-Dropout Andreas who's an expert in 'translating' such ideas into fully realized productions. He's basically our Brian Wilson!  Grin He helped me out the same way on this other song of ours:

http://www.reverbnation.com/play_now/song_11519849

As for the album, we plan to have it out via Bandcamp in a matter of weeks. I'll post about it here when it's online.  Smiley

gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx