gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 08:58:53 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 ... 31 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The e-Collaboration Thread (Prayer, Little Bird, Soulful Old Man Sunshine)  (Read 160864 times)
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #300 on: October 08, 2012, 02:27:16 PM »

Picked Bass? Sounds good to me!

Hey Hype, can I have something to sing to? It doesn't need to be finished, I just wanna work out my leads.

FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #301 on: October 08, 2012, 03:17:49 PM »

Did this for giggles: http://soundcloud.com/mikeleroymusic/stevie-backing-vocals

Man it sounds amazing

I'd say that sounds really legit in several places. Not digging the be-doo-dahs so much, but the pure harmony was righteous.

Agreed. I'm also hearing an off key note in the harmonies now. I think they were cool as they were. A bass part isn't necessary either. I actually tried it originally but it felt like I was just doing it to "do it". Didn't really add anything to the arrangement.

So what else we got? I like the idea of doing My Diane. Did anyone start that yet?

Oh idk if thats me man, I agree with the "Bah Doos" but Idk i feel like I just filled in a sharp that wasn't being sung...

seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #302 on: October 08, 2012, 04:05:35 PM »

Wow -- I was just listening to the BW demo before I saw this thread and pondering a cover, so what a pleasant surprise!

I'm remote from any microphones that aren't a laptop for the next several days. I would love to sing the part when I'm back again, but if somebody needs/wants to take the part before then, that's totally cool.

Cool no prob man. I'd really love to get your voice on there, so as long as you're with it I'd say there's no rush! Hell mine + Hypehat's version of Soulful Old Man Sunshine has been in the works for idk.. a few months now? Haha.
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #303 on: October 08, 2012, 04:38:27 PM »

Not sure if we're gonna do a version of My Diane, but I was dicking around with what it might sound like with a sweet vocal.

http://soundcloud.com/egohanger/my-diane-rough-vocal-idea

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #304 on: October 08, 2012, 04:43:40 PM »

Not sure if we're gonna do a version of My Diane, but I was dicking around with what it might sound like with a sweet vocal.

http://soundcloud.com/egohanger/my-diane-rough-vocal-idea

Nice! I like the genre you chose "Brian Wilson Genius Pop" haha. Maybe I'll knock out a track idea.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #305 on: October 09, 2012, 01:32:44 AM »

Wow -- I was just listening to the BW demo before I saw this thread and pondering a cover, so what a pleasant surprise!

I'm remote from any microphones that aren't a laptop for the next several days. I would love to sing the part when I'm back again, but if somebody needs/wants to take the part before then, that's totally cool.

Cool no prob man. I'd really love to get your voice on there, so as long as you're with it I'd say there's no rush! Hell mine + Hypehat's version of Soulful Old Man Sunshine has been in the works for idk.. a few months now? Haha.

I was waiting for a bass, then I bought one.... now I have no excuse. Gonna have a swing at that/some mixing on Thursday, I'm stuck in this blasted office for the next week  Computer Smash!

Then you can do your vocal? And we can attempt to figure out the backing harmonies (I bagsy Mike) and then we'll have world peace?

How about The Brianista's Prayer as an album title?

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #306 on: October 09, 2012, 03:39:00 AM »

Who wants to sing on Kiss Me Baby? Have arranged it for strings/bass/fingerpicking guitar (if I can play the f***ing part on take 4,970, but should be done after that - maybe slight percussion) and of course, lovely harmonies. FOTM has snagged the lead, and I'd quite like Dennis' part. Do we have a Mike, Carl & Al in the house?

I can do Al (that's what Mrs. Jardine said), unless someone else would like to.

Can you make the bass and guitar all Pet Sounds-y? The plucking style, I mean. Don't really know how to describe that...I also have a vintage 60s snare. If you need some Hal Blaine-esque drum rolls, lemme know.

I do have some 'lead' guitar on there which I think fits the bill, but I'm having trouble getting that kind of definition on the bass! Any ideas how to do that, I'm recording it direct into my soundcard as my bass amp is beat up and it would be too distorted. Need to re-record the guitar stuff I did yesterday, I kinda want it sounding like this Spiritualized show (maybe skip to Going Down Slow or Anything More) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0mqZgV3KEc so I'm going to have to cut the sh*t and play acoustic properly.

Hey Hype, can I have something to sing to? It doesn't need to be finished, I just wanna work out my leads.

I'll send you something tonight? It's the same key/etc as the original recording, I might make it a little slower than the record but I used the acapella from Hawthorne CA as a guide if that helps.

EDIT: Listening to that Spiritualized gig and that's definitely the sound I want, so I'm so slowing it down. But yeah, tonight.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2012, 03:45:05 AM by hypehat » Logged

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #307 on: October 09, 2012, 08:18:42 AM »

Feelin' a little better today, so gonna try knocking out that vocal later on today.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #308 on: October 09, 2012, 08:33:00 AM »

"The SMiLEY SMiLERS Present SYNCOPATiON"

hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #309 on: October 09, 2012, 12:37:14 PM »

Any ideas on how to get that PS esque bass sound? Some combination of high treble and echo? Maybe a little slapback delay or something?

EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #310 on: October 09, 2012, 12:55:41 PM »

Any ideas on how to get that PS esque bass sound? Some combination of high treble and echo? Maybe a little slapback delay or something?

I found this thread which might help a bit. Def. use a pick/plectrum.

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/high-end/106034-how-get-60s-bass-sound.html

hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #311 on: October 09, 2012, 03:11:17 PM »

Right, here's the Kiss Me Baby track - let us know what you think, there are still a few mixing snafus I'm too tired to fix, such as the top note being way too high in some places/bass disappearing on occasion.

Does anyone know the vocal parts? (grins sheepishly)  Undecided

http://soundcloud.com/samblack-1/kiss-me-baby-instrumental-1

EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #312 on: October 09, 2012, 03:38:20 PM »

Right, here's the Kiss Me Baby track - let us know what you think, there are still a few mixing snafus I'm too tired to fix, such as the top note being way too high in some places/bass disappearing on occasion.

Does anyone know the vocal parts? (grins sheepishly)  Undecided

http://soundcloud.com/samblack-1/kiss-me-baby-instrumental-1

That is epic and beautiful at the same time. You got the Pet Sounds bass at the beginning. I kind of lost that style (in the bass) as the song went on, but still, really really great job.

FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #313 on: October 09, 2012, 07:07:46 PM »

Fantastic! The only thing I can even think of adding instrument wise is the French Horn after the line "Can't remember what we fought about".

Can't wait to sing, I'm a little sick, which actually helps my falsetto stay on pitch, I'll kick it out tomorrow!

FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #314 on: October 09, 2012, 07:09:27 PM »

Also, it feels a bit off tempo in some places for some reason... Is that just me?

Like for example the lead on the second verse, feels a bit slow, maybe just slide it a little closer?
The trumpet in the first verse likewise
« Last Edit: October 09, 2012, 07:13:51 PM by FatherOfTheMan » Logged

FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #315 on: October 09, 2012, 07:12:15 PM »

At 0:51 I hear a little clashing.

I hope this doesn't sound like bitching, this is too amazing to not be perfect!

FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #316 on: October 09, 2012, 07:15:03 PM »

Mute, set delay to 141 mini seconds and about 30% volume Wink

FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #317 on: October 09, 2012, 07:17:29 PM »

Also man, this may sound like sacrilege, but if you want me to attempt to mix it in a thick stereo mix, just send me the parts, I'd be happy to take a swing at lining up the other parts as well, maybe just to see what it's like?

I took a class on mixing strings last summer, I just need a better keyboard to do strings on! Haha
You'll hear some of my new mixing skills on my next album...

EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #318 on: October 09, 2012, 07:22:02 PM »

Mute, set delay to 141 mini seconds and about 30% volume Wink

Is that how you got the sound when you quoted the Surf's Up line for "Little Bird"? It was pretty spot on...

FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #319 on: October 09, 2012, 07:27:20 PM »

Yup! It took a little bit of adjusting the delay time but i found between 140-180 works best

FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #320 on: October 09, 2012, 07:39:10 PM »

Speaking of that, remixing LB, the vocals need to fix in the mix better and it needs to be a wider mix

hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #321 on: October 10, 2012, 02:01:19 AM »

Also, it feels a bit off tempo in some places for some reason... Is that just me?

Like for example the lead on the second verse, feels a bit slow, maybe just slide it a little closer?
The trumpet in the first verse likewise
At 0:51 I hear a little clashing.

I hope this doesn't sound like bitching, this is too amazing to not be perfect!

I know what you mean, and it's not bitching - I am going to have my customary 'drink strong coffee and tighten the whole thing up' this weekend, the arrangement and mixing is kicking my arse on this. And yeah, I kept forgetting to stick that french horn line in.

Yeah, that clash is because I'm a moron - I play a minor 7th, not a major 7th on the acoustic. I thought it was because I was using a dodgy voicing, but no. Actually the wrong chord. *bangs head against desk*

My 'method' for arranging strings is so haphazard I'm amazed it sounds ok, tbh.  Grin

I hope it's ok to practice to? Are you taking the whole lead or just the Brian bits?

FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #322 on: October 10, 2012, 03:11:42 AM »

Lol sounds good, I'm doing the Brian Parts, can't take this whole song it's too awesome!

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #323 on: October 10, 2012, 10:48:48 AM »

Huge favor...for 'Stevie', can you upload the version that as all the backups on it with the music? I'm having a hard time with the Carl part right now, and this will be a great help.

edit

Also, you know which song I'd really like to do a lead on? Something like 'Still I Dream of it'. I've been listening to a lot of mid-70s Brian lately, and kinda looking forward to do one of his 'gruff' vocals.

And, if you need Brian's high part on 'My Diane' , let me know.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2012, 11:06:14 AM by Beets by Dr Dre » Logged

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #324 on: October 10, 2012, 04:00:57 PM »

Huge favor...for 'Stevie', can you upload the version that as all the backups on it with the music? I'm having a hard time with the Carl part right now, and this will be a great help.

edit

Also, you know which song I'd really like to do a lead on? Something like 'Still I Dream of it'. I've been listening to a lot of mid-70s Brian lately, and kinda looking forward to do one of his 'gruff' vocals.

And, if you need Brian's high part on 'My Diane' , let me know.

You just have the two lower "a-ha's" with me on the 2nd verse.

I did include a link to the full reference with all harmonies in my original post. Repost for anyone who missed it:

Okay, so I just broke down the harmonies for Stevie.

Ego - Brian (http://www.sendspace.com/file/wdft80)

Austin - Carl (http://www.sendspace.com/file/2ad7y5)

Rab2591 - Al (http://www.sendspace.com/file/906oqr)

seltaeb1012002 - Brian 2

Billy C - Carl 2 (http://www.sendspace.com/file/37jgkz)

Here's a reference with all of the harmonies:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/yvmqyf

...and lastly here's the instrumental download (with a great new Uke part by Don't Back Down on the 2nd chorus, btw).

http://soundcloud.com/smile-a-d/stevie-instrumental-1

The vocal part should match up with the instrumental exactly when lined up in your DAW. Any questions, or if anyone can't do their part for some reason, just give me a shout.

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 ... 31 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx