gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 04:15:11 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 31 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The e-Collaboration Thread (Prayer, Little Bird, Soulful Old Man Sunshine)  (Read 160884 times)
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 14, 2012, 04:41:26 PM »

I'm having Egon do the vocal chart (Thanks!!) and I'll need Drums (re-done) and Guitars (Acoustic, semi-quiet in the back of the "Na-nana na na" part)

seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 14, 2012, 04:51:15 PM »

I'm having Egon do the vocal chart (Thanks!!) and I'll need Drums (re-done) and Guitars (Acoustic, semi-quiet in the back of the "Na-nana na na" part)

If you recorded it to a click I'd be down to do the drums (and a backing vocal if need be)!
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 14, 2012, 05:01:46 PM »

Haha, you did make it sound like WIBNTLA! Sweet!!!!

I can possibly do the "na na na" (Brian) vocals on this, unless someone else would like them!

An idea I just had. You know where it goes all "Child Is The Father...." with the same drumbeat and horn? We could do the "child...child..ch-child" vocals over that part. Since we aren't going for straight note-for-note similarities, it might be a cool addition. Only an idea - what do you guys think?

(Also - I'll second hypehat's Soulful Old Man Shun-Shine nomination!)
« Last Edit: July 14, 2012, 05:09:16 PM by EgoHanger1966 » Logged

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
egon spengler
« Reply #53 on: July 14, 2012, 08:24:31 PM »

Can we do Soulful Old Man Sunshine? I'd do a track if someone would work up the vocal chart (I think I can pick it apart but second opinion, man). Plus, it's the bestest song ever  Grin

Give us a part on Little Bird, Mike!

I guess the way it would work is for everyone to pick a track, and work up/delegate a rough instrumental thing for the vocal contributions.

1) 100% yes on SOMS. I've fiddled around with that one before and have picked apart the intro vocals ("Soulful Old Man Sunshine" and the "doot doot doot"/"ba ba ba"-type parts), so I'll gladly finish figuring out the rest!

2) I think you're completely right about the way we go forward with it. I'm going to update the main post with each song's arranger/producer (to the extent the song's been claimed), and that person can work on delegating vocals and getting a track ready. The backing track doesn't need to be even close to ready before we do vocal parts--not even a single part from my Add Some Music rough track made it onto the final version.

Haha, you did make it sound like WIBNTLA! Sweet!!!!

I can possibly do the "na na na" (Brian) vocals on this, unless someone else would like them!

An idea I just had. You know where it goes all "Child Is The Father...." with the same drumbeat and horn? We could do the "child...child..ch-child" vocals over that part. Since we aren't going for straight note-for-note similarities, it might be a cool addition. Only an idea - what do you guys think?

(Also - I'll second hypehat's Soulful Old Man Shun-Shine nomination!)

I'd like to try out Carl's "na na na" vocals too.  And I think doing a CIFOTM coda could sould cool, though I'm not sure when would be the best time to include it, since the song actually ends on a major-key variation of that part. "Lit-tle bird up in a tree, looked down and sang a song to me" is the CIFOTM section, but the outro's "Little bird looked down, and sang a so-ong, to me" wouldn't quite fit the "child" vocals. Thoughts?
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 14, 2012, 10:25:18 PM »

Maybe just over the "little bird up in a tree" part
Then do the later part normally

slickman9696
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 14, 2012, 11:38:51 PM »

Count me in as well. I'm a professional singer here in NYC, and have performed much in Orlando, and some regional stuff too. While I was in Orlando, I was a member of an 8 part a cappella group at Disney called Voice of Liberty. YouTube them to hear some amazing arrangements of Americana type songs.

My range is from low G up to a high A, and I have a strong falsetto as well.

I've been playing piano since I was 6 (27 now), and I also play guitar, ukulele, and some simple bass. I do accordion, but do not have one. I also graduated college with a vocal degree, so I can read music, and I'm pretty good with sight singing as well.

I would love to sing lead on anything you'd like, but really, I'd be willing to help out in anyway possible. This is some cool stuff!
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 15, 2012, 03:47:50 AM »

Maybe just over the "little bird up in a tree" part
Then do the later part normally

Right, that's what I meant - only on that part.

hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 15, 2012, 07:22:45 AM »

It would be cool to work in some little unique CIFOTM parts in there too, as that end section is rather sparse vocally.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
egon spengler
« Reply #58 on: July 15, 2012, 08:15:42 AM »

It would be cool to work in some little unique CIFOTM parts in there too, as that end section is rather sparse vocally.

I'm going to try to work in a variation of the major(ish)-key intro from Smile Sessions version of CIFOTM. I haven't written it down yet, but it sounds cool in my head!
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 15, 2012, 09:15:42 AM »

I totally hear that now too!
Sounds great!

egon spengler
« Reply #60 on: July 15, 2012, 09:37:45 PM »

I totally thought of doing WIBNTLA but I'm not sure if there are actually allowed to be covers of that song. Didn't Adam's group have to get permission?

I'm sure they had to get permission to release it officially/for profit, but I don't know if that applies to something like this (I hope it doesn't, because we don't have permission for any of this!). I'll ask one of our IP people tomorrow if they know anything about this sorta thing.

Count me in as well. I'm a professional singer here in NYC, and have performed much in Orlando, and some regional stuff too. While I was in Orlando, I was a member of an 8 part a cappella group at Disney called Voice of Liberty. YouTube them to hear some amazing arrangements of Americana type songs.

My range is from low G up to a high A, and I have a strong falsetto as well.

I've been playing piano since I was 6 (27 now), and I also play guitar, ukulele, and some simple bass. I do accordion, but do not have one. I also graduated college with a vocal degree, so I can read music, and I'm pretty good with sight singing as well.

I would love to sing lead on anything you'd like, but really, I'd be willing to help out in anyway possible. This is some cool stuff!

Glad to have you on board! There's some seriously impressive vocal work going on in those Voices of Liberty videos! Are you in any of them?
egon spengler
« Reply #61 on: July 15, 2012, 09:49:01 PM »

What's everyone think about this tracklist? Like hypehat said, we should probably keep it album-length.. about 12 or 13 songs in all. So far we've got these 13:

• Somewhere Near Japan
  • Little Bird
  • Break Away
  • In Blue Hawaii
  • Our Prayer
  • I Went To Sleep
  • Soulful Old Man Sunshine
  • In My Room
  • Don't Worry Baby
  • This Whole World
  • Til I Die
  • Stevie
  • Wouldn't It Be Nice To Live Again (maybe)

I've got a few more ideas, though I don't want to bogart the list (and we can always save them for v2). One potentially neat idea I had today, though: finish Lonely Days. I'm no lyricist, but I bet some of you could finish lyrics another verse, and maybe we could steal a bridge part and/or lyrics from another Wild Honey-era unreleased song.
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 15, 2012, 10:01:42 PM »

I like it, and the Lonely Days idea is good, I think I could write something that'd fit that era as many of you've stated...

My proposed tracklist in order....

Our Prayer
Add Some Music To Your Day (We have to put this on!)
In My Room
Don't Worry Baby
Little Bird
This Whole World
Break Away
I Went To Sleep

Soulful Old Man Sunshine
Somewhere Near Japan
Stevie
In Blue Hawaii
Til I Die
Wouldn't It Be Nice To Live Again

That way it ends the way Surf's Up Should've.

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: July 15, 2012, 10:09:57 PM »

I like that idea.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 15, 2012, 10:56:07 PM »

Another rule: you can't sing lead on a song you produce.

Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: July 16, 2012, 02:54:50 AM »

Hey guys, Id love to get involved and add some vocals (lead and backing). As for my voice, Im not really sure where it lies but Id say I have a fairly wide range. I have had some dennis wilson comparisons in reviews - For a better idea, I do all the vocal parts on this - http://mybrotherwoody.bandcamp.com/track/getting-old-goes-with-getting-fat.

Id like to do some lead on maybe Little Bird, Stevie or Break Away but Im happy to fit in wherever there is room for me. Will do backing wherever needed.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2012, 03:30:12 AM by My Brother Woody » Logged

Amigo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 16, 2012, 07:01:33 AM »

Hey guys, Id love to get involved and add some vocals (lead and backing). As for my voice, Im not really sure where it lies but Id say I have a fairly wide range. I have had some dennis wilson comparisons in reviews - For a better idea, I do all the vocal parts on this - http://mybrotherwoody.bandcamp.com/track/getting-old-goes-with-getting-fat.

Id like to do some lead on maybe Little Bird, Stevie or Break Away but Im happy to fit in wherever there is room for me. Will do backing wherever needed.

LOL

Funny song, umm, I'd say you sound like Dennis (Just a little worse, sorry.), you'd do well with Slip On Through. Wink

Not sure what to put on my signature!
Amigo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 16, 2012, 07:23:00 AM »

Hello people! I'd like to get involved as well! My voice has trouble transitioning from Middle-High, but I can manage with it, but overall, I can sing very well, with a rather strange accent that I have. (I have lived half my life in PA, and another half in SC) I can also Harmonize well, but cannot play any instruments so I'd only be useful with my voice!

Also, I would like to do producing of a few songs.

hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 16, 2012, 10:22:35 AM »

Having all the ideas for Soulful Old Man Sunshine, helped by listening to a bunch of bossa nova today  Grin Who wants in on it?
« Last Edit: July 16, 2012, 10:25:25 AM by hypehat » Logged

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.

egon spengler
« Reply #69 on: July 16, 2012, 11:00:06 AM »

Having all the ideas for Soulful Old Man Sunshine, helped by listening to a bunch of bossa nova today  Grin Who wants in on it?

Count me in for some background vocals! I think seltaeb could do a killer lead. I'll try to work out the vocals in the next day or so. Were you planning on keeping them pretty faithful to the original?
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 16, 2012, 11:00:21 AM »

Hell yes Smiley
What specific ideas are you having?

Amigo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 16, 2012, 11:31:23 AM »

I'll have to mention to you my band, The Grosbeaks. We make music that sounds like it's from the 60s, and also covers of the oldies. Only 3 members, and none of us can play any instruments.  Brian, Dennis, & Carl

seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 16, 2012, 12:02:03 PM »

Count me in for some background vocals! I think seltaeb could do a killer lead. I'll try to work out the vocals in the next day or so. Were you planning on keeping them pretty faithful to the original?

Sounds like a blast, totally down for that one Grin

I'd also love to tackle Carl's "What a day, what a day, ooh what a beautiful day this is" on Little Bird, if that's not taken yet.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2012, 03:43:26 PM by seltaeb1012002 » Logged
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 16, 2012, 12:55:39 PM »

I'll do backing for all the songs, and leads on maybe till I die or don't worry baby

hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 16, 2012, 03:56:44 PM »

RE Shunshine, just slowing it down a bunch and changing the instrumental arrangement - there's no chance in hell I can improve on the original track by using the same feel, but if one of you can do a bossa type shuffle on the drums I'd be in business. The vocal arrangement would still work with it, I think, so that would be cracking, Egon! Will whack up a rough demo tomorrow if I have time, to demonstrate. Think you'd rock on it, Seltaeb  Grin

I'd love the lead on Stevie, if we're calling them.

Love the Lonely Days idea if we can come up with something.

gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 31 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx