gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 07:00:56 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 31 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The e-Collaboration Thread (Prayer, Little Bird, Soulful Old Man Sunshine)  (Read 160927 times)
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2012, 08:16:44 AM »

^ that idea is great

egon spengler
« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2012, 12:05:42 PM »

I'm planning on making my own styled "Little bird" backing track today, just as a base to get us rolling. The parts will probably be re-done, like how we did ASMTYD.

Someone wanted to do a banjo part? Well here you go Wink

F that i can't start a song because I don't play "tight" enough haha

Do you still want to do the arrangement and production on that one? If you give me a tempo and let me know what you'd like to do with the end (fade vs. hard stop vs. whatever), I can put together a backing track with the chords and a beat for folks to sing/play on top of.

Whoever suggested Break Away, great idea!

I second this!

I'd also kinda like to cover 'In Blue Hawaii' from BWPS. Get dmcguire70 to do the lead vocals, the rest of us contribute background vocals (especially for the intro). Make it sound vintage '67 (maybe even mixed in mono). Anyways, just a thought!

I've been grooving on Break Away for a few weeks now, so that was my idea--unless anyone else has any cool ideas for it, I'd like to take a crack at the arrangement/production for that one.  I'd also like to try This Whole World, but won't add it to the list just yet until we get some more suggestions.

By the way, I love the In Blue Hawaii idea--could be crazy challenging, but would sound amazing if we can pull it off.  I've made some decent headway into IBH for my SMiLE cover project, and have recorded the water chant.  I'll send it your way later today--maybe we can use it as a guide for everyone. I've got the chords handy too (unless you want to mix them up), and can play ukulele on it if you want to keep the Hawaiian feel. I played around a bit with adding the "cool cool water" vocals over the verse, with mixed results.. it's a few keys higher (or lower? I forget), so they don't fit as naturally. Could be worth changing the key to fit, if you'd like to try that. Just some ideas--it's your song, so feel free to ignore them!
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2012, 12:22:04 PM »

This Whole World is a great idea too, Egon.

This might be too impossible, but what if we give a go at Our Prayer and put it before Blue Hawaii?

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2012, 12:37:22 PM »

Ego, that'd be great, I'm thinking maybe 85 BPM, the chord I'm using are from ultimate guitar's chords, an easy google search Smiley

egon spengler
« Reply #29 on: July 13, 2012, 01:11:22 PM »

Ego, that'd be great, I'm thinking maybe 85 BPM, the chord I'm using are from ultimate guitar's chords, an easy google search Smiley

Oh I don't trust those sites at all.. I'll take a listen and make sure they're accurate Smiley  you thinking of doing it like a straight cover, or switching things up?
This Whole World is a great idea too, Egon.

This might be too impossible, but what if we give a go at Our Prayer and put it before Blue Hawaii?

That was another one I tossed around, actually--good one to spread the vocals around. I've done it and I know dmcguire has too, so the vocal lines are already transcribed.  If we sing on top of the 20/20 version, we'll be good timing-wise.  I'm all for it.
Melt Away
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: July 13, 2012, 04:37:24 PM »

I think In My Room would be a pretty neat collaboration. 'Til I die too Grin

Melt Away
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: July 13, 2012, 04:38:41 PM »

A remixed TWGMTR would be fun to do too. Just the song, though.

FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 13, 2012, 04:59:20 PM »

Egon, I'm thinking of making it a bit more like POB styled, but the feel is too good to change

dmcguire70
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 13, 2012, 06:09:56 PM »

I second this!

I'd also kinda like to cover 'In Blue Hawaii' from BWPS. Get dmcguire70 to do the lead vocals, the rest of us contribute background vocals (especially for the intro). Make it sound vintage '67 (maybe even mixed in mono). Anyways, just a thought!

Id be happy to do backing vocals for Blue Hawaii, not sure about lead, though I could give it a crack.
As for the other tracks mentioned by Egon, count me in guys. Smiley

"I loaned you money when the funds weren't too cool"

"The ocean scares me."
..................................Brian Wilson, 1976
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 13, 2012, 06:14:16 PM »

I second this!

Id be happy to do backing vocals for Blue Hawaii, not sure about lead, though I could give it a crack.
As for the other tracks mentioned by Egon, count me in guys. Smiley

If anyone does lead vocals for a circa 1967-written Brian song, it should be YOU my friend.  Cool

I'd love a shot at (part) of the lead vocal of Break Away, if that's cool with everyone. Maybe we could split the verses up?

SG7
« Reply #35 on: July 13, 2012, 08:01:42 PM »

I'm glad you are cool with having a girl singing! The idea of Don't Worry Baby sounds very cool!
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: July 13, 2012, 09:26:43 PM »

I'd love a shot at (part) of the lead vocal of Break Away, if that's cool with everyone. Maybe we could split the verses up?

I'd like to take the first verse and let you handle the second.  I'd also like to  have a crack at This Whole World.

Here's a song I think would be really cool to attempt...I Went to Sleep!

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 13, 2012, 11:30:00 PM »

Agreed with IWTS, as you can tell, I love that song :D

Amazing Larry
Smiley Smile Associate

There's a new daddy in town...

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 13, 2012, 11:35:00 PM »

I can play drums and some piano. I also can sing fine in the tenor range but any higher my voice gets rather weedy.

A discipline daddy.
Amazing Larry
Smiley Smile Associate

There's a new daddy in town...

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 13, 2012, 11:35:48 PM »

I can also produce/mix.

A discipline daddy.
egon spengler
« Reply #40 on: July 14, 2012, 05:57:34 AM »

I'd like to take the first verse and let you handle the second.  I'd also like to  have a crack at This Whole World.

Totally agree with IWTS--another great "stacked vocal" track that could sound really nice "unplugged." Do you want to handle producing that one?

I'd like to do the heavy lifting on Break Away, if that's okay with everyone. For that one (and probably as another general rule for this project), I think it might be better to have one person sing the same part throughout if we're doing multiple leads--like Billy C on both verses and EgoHanger on both choruses (or vice versa). There's more logic to the division of work that way, and it won't feel like we're splitting parts up just for the sake of doing it. (I've got some fairly fresh strong opinions on that issue because I don't like the way Brian and Mike trade off leads on Isn't It Time--it's too "Hey look everyone, Brian's on this track AND Mike's on it too! Reunion!!!!1" for me.)  Really, I think we should divide leads the same way they're divided on the original recordings to keep it from becoming "A does the first verse, B does the first chorus, C does the second verse, D does the second chorus, E does the bridge...". What do you guys think?
egon spengler
« Reply #41 on: July 14, 2012, 06:08:09 AM »

A remixed TWGMTR would be fun to do too. Just the song, though.

I like the idea of 'Til I Die for sure. I've already transcribed the parts so I can hand them off to whoever wants to produce. My only suggestion there is that dmcguire do the "I've lost my way/It kills my soul" parts, because he sounds more like Brian than Brian himself there: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrblIptbikc&feature=player_detailpage#t=26s

I'm a little more iffy about TWGMTR and In My Room since they're less on the obscure side than we're going for--unless you (or anyone else) have a good idea for a unique arrangement, of course! As far tunes from TWGMTR go, I bet FTTBA could be cool.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2012, 06:22:27 AM by egon spengler » Logged
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 14, 2012, 06:20:46 AM »

I'd like to take the first verse and let you handle the second.  I'd also like to  have a crack at This Whole World.

Totally agree with IWTS--another great "stacked vocal" track that could sound really nice "unplugged." Do you want to handle producing that one?

I'd like to do the heavy lifting on Break Away, if that's okay with everyone. For that one (and probably as another general rule for this project), I think it might be better to have one person sing the same part throughout if we're doing multiple leads--like Billy C on both verses and EgoHanger on both choruses (or vice versa). There's more logic to the division of work that way, and it won't feel like we're splitting parts up just for the sake of doing it. (I've got some fairly fresh strong opinions on that issue because I don't like the way Brian and Mike trade off leads on Isn't It Time--it's too "Hey look everyone, Brian's on this track AND Mike's on it too! Reunion!!!!1" for me.)  Really, I think we should divide leads the same way they're divided on the original recordings to keep it from becoming "A does the first verse, B does the first chorus, C does the second verse, D does the second chorus, E does the bridge...". What do you guys think?

@Egon: I feel your logic - although I guess for a Smiley Smile board project I think it would be less offensive to switch off leads than an actual BB record. Although I'm not quite sure I can pull off the choruses to Break Away - can't wail like Carl! - but the verse lead presents no problem for me. Anyway, I guess we'll figure it out as we go along. I don't mind giving up a lead part for that one (or any song), a group effort is a group effort.

@Billy: Yeah, if we decide to split up verses, I could totally dig that!

ps. are we allowed to do unreleased material? Something like "Stevie", a great song which has never been officially released, and sounds horrid when it appears on unofficial releases, could actually be given a "definitive" version by us. Just a thought.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2012, 06:39:53 AM by EgoHanger1966 » Logged

Melt Away
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: July 14, 2012, 06:51:21 AM »

Yeah, in my room isn't obscure or anything but just how the three voices come in would give some smilers an awesome chance to harmonize a legendary song. I'd love to send in some Breakaway verse excerpts.

A remixed TWGMTR would be fun to do too. Just the song, though.iler

I like the idea of 'Til I Die for sure. I've already transcribed the parts so I can hand them off to whoever wants to produce. My only suggestion there is that dmcguire do the "I've lost my way/It kills my soul" parts, because he sounds more like Brian than Brian himself there: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrblIptbikc&feature=player_detailpage#t=26s

I'm a little more iffy about TWGMTR and In My Room since they're less on the obscure side than we're going for--unless you (or anyone else) have a good idea for a unique arrangement, of course! As far tunes from TWGMTR go, I bet FTTBA could be cool.

egon spengler
« Reply #44 on: July 14, 2012, 08:05:33 AM »

Yeah, in my room isn't obscure or anything but just how the three voices come in would give some smilers an awesome chance to harmonize a legendary song. I'd love to send in some Breakaway verse excerpts.

Very true--I'm not opposed to more popular ones that really serve a purpose, and In My Room would definitely fit the bill.

(I'm not sure I follow your Break Away comment.)

@Egon: I feel your logic - although I guess for a Smiley Smile board project I think it would be less offensive to switch off leads than an actual BB record. Although I'm not quite sure I can pull off the choruses to Break Away - can't wail like Carl! - but the verse lead presents no problem for me. Anyway, I guess we'll figure it out as we go along. I don't mind giving up a lead part for that one (or any song), a group effort is a group effort.

Yeah, I don't mean to say that we should only split leads the way the Boys did--we even took some liberties with the division in Add Some Music. My hope is that we can spread around the leads over the project as a whole enough that we don't need to do it as much within songs (unless it's a song that calls for it). That said, I'm definitely not opposed to different folks handling different sections (even in songs that originally only have one lead) as long as it's good for the song.

ps. are we allowed to do unreleased material? Something like "Stevie", a great song which has never been officially released, and sounds horrid when it appears on unofficial releases, could actually be given a "definitive" version by us. Just a thought.

I actually love that idea. How's this for a wild suggestion: Wouldn't It Be Nice To Live Again?
Melt Away
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: July 14, 2012, 08:17:07 AM »

Me giving a shot at the verse is all I ment but anyway DW "Wild Situation" would be pretty neat. WIBNTLA sounds great only if I i could hear the damn song! Closest I got waa finding the chords and stumbling through my own version.

FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 14, 2012, 10:49:56 AM »

Actually, my newly worked on Little Bird backing track is supposed to sound like WIBNTLA

EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 14, 2012, 12:15:23 PM »

I totally thought of doing WIBNTLA but I'm not sure if there are actually allowed to be covers of that song. Didn't Adam's group have to get permission?

FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 14, 2012, 12:22:16 PM »

Ok Little Bird should be ready for vocals next week, who'd like a part on that song?

Early:
Here's the early backing track, Drums and vocals are being (re)done (or done for the first time) if you'd like a part, you can practice using this.

I've redone the song to be a more POB meets SMiLE song, I think you'll love it!

Feedback would be nice! http://www.sendspace.com/file/xjrfzj
« Last Edit: July 14, 2012, 04:21:40 PM by FatherOfTheMan » Logged

hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 14, 2012, 04:27:03 PM »

Can we do Soulful Old Man Sunshine? I'd do a track if someone would work up the vocal chart (I think I can pick it apart but second opinion, man). Plus, it's the bestest song ever  Grin

Give us a part on Little Bird, Mike!

I guess the way it would work is for everyone to pick a track, and work up/delegate a rough instrumental thing for the vocal contributions.

Like, 12 tunes? We shouldn't exclude the likes of In My Room, that's not what I meant - rather, we shouldn't be emulating BW's arrangements too solidly for this. Like he says, no soundalike copies of anything. That'd be pointless!

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 31 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx