gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 06:57:58 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 31 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The e-Collaboration Thread (Prayer, Little Bird, Soulful Old Man Sunshine)  (Read 160895 times)
egon spengler
« on: July 11, 2012, 09:15:02 AM »

Hey all! I'm excited that there's been some interest in "e-collaborating" on more tunes like our Add Some Music cover (check out this thread if you don't know what I'm talking about). I think it's a good idea at this point to get a "show of hands" to see who all would like to join in and what you'd like to contribute.  Specifically, let us know what instruments you can record, what vocal range you're most comfortable singing in, and if you'd like to take a crack at arranging/producing a track (or tracks).  If you're in, let us know and I'll add you to the roster.

As for song choice, we're going to try to keep it interesting and unique. We're going for obscure tracks that aren't covered often, or, at the very least, unique takes on better known/more frequently covered tracks. Let us know what song(s) you think would fit the bill, and we'll divvy up parts and and assign arranger/producers once we've got a good tracklist.  If you're really dying to sing lead or arrange/produce a certain song yourself, let us know that too, and it can be tentatively reserved for you; however, the goal at this stage is really just to nail down the list of performers, arranger/producers, and songs. It'll be easier to distribute things evenly once those three pieces are set.

Here's the method we used for Add Some Music: I put together a really basic backing track with just piano and a beat, so everyone would have something to sing on top of.  Then I transcribed everyone's vocal parts separately with a great free program called MuseScore (http://www.musescore.org). You can export MuseScore charts to midi files, so I laid the midi file for each background vocal on top of the backing track so everyone could hear how their part is supposed to be sung.  (Alternatively, I could have just sung a guide vocal and sent it to everyone--that might be easier for you arranger/producers (it's tough making noise with a new baby in the house!)) Then, everyone recorded their parts and sent them each in individual files, which I pieced together as I got them.  I worked on the "real" backing track at the same time.

I would be more than happy to take the same kind of role in these songs.  If you need help figuring out chords, vocals, etc., that's become a bit of a specialty for me. Even if you're going to do a totally unique arrangement of a song, I can still put together rough backing tracks for folks to sing over--all you need to tell me is what tempo you want, whether you're going to stray from the original chords or do anything else quirky that I should know, and if you want the song to fade out vs. end on a chord vs. end on a hard stop. Basically, I will gladly be a resource for anything anyone needs to make their song work.

Just a few basic ground rules:

(1) To keep things fair, you can only claim a lead vocal if you're willing to sing a background vocal on other people's "lead" songs too.
(2) Record your parts in a lossless format.
(3) Send your parts to your producer completely dry--no effects, no EQ, no noise reduction, etc.  That will make mixing a thousand times easier.

Here's a list of everyone who's volunteered and what they can contribute:

• Amigo: mid vocals
  • Austin: low-to-mid vocals, drums,
  • Billy C: high tenor/low alto vocals (early 70s Brian-range)
  • Crinkleman123: tenor vocals, drums, piano
  • dmcguire70: vocals
  • EgoHanger1966: high vocals (especially falsetto)
  • egon spengler: mid-to-high vocals, guitar (electric, acoustic, 12-string), bass (fender and fretless), ukulele, misc. percussion, keyboards
  • FatherOfTheMan: vocals, pretty much any instrument
  • hypehat: mid-to-low vocals (Dennis-ish), guitar, banjo, piano
  • MeltAway: bass/tenor/falsetto vocals, guitar, bass
  • My Brother Woody: vocals (wide range, but Dennis-esque)
  • rab2591: mid vocals, guitar
  • seltaeb1012002: vocals, drums, keys
  • slickman9696: vocals, guitar, ukulele, bass
  • SurferGirl7: vocals
  • thatjacob: lap steel guitar, bass, guitar

and here's the tracklist to date:

• Somewhere Near Japan: ____ (producer); EgoHanger, egon, ____, ____, ____ (leads)
  • Little Bird: FOTM (producer); My Brother Woodie (lead); EgoHanger, seltaeb, egon, FOTM, _____ (backgrounds)
  • Break Away: egon (producer); Billy C, EgoHanger, MeltAway (leads); rab2591, egon, ____, ____, ____, ____ (backgrounds)
  • In Blue Hawaii: rab2591 (producer); dmcguire (lead);
  • Our Prayer: egon (producer); ____, ____, ____, ____ (vocals)
  • I Went To Sleep
  • Soulful Old Man Sunshine: hypehat (producer), seltaeb (lead); egon, EgoHanger, ____, ____, ____, ____, ____, ____ (backgrounds)
  • In My Room: FOTM (producer); dmcguire, ____, _____, ____, _____ (leads)
  • Don't Worry Baby: seltaeb (producer), dmcguire70 and SurferGirl7 (leads); ____, ____, ____, ____ (backgrounds)
  • This Whole World: egon (producer); Billy C (lead); ____, ____, ____, ____, ____ (backgrounds)
  • Til I Die: ____ (producer); FOTM, ____, ____, ____, ____, ____ (leads)
  • Stevie: ____ (producer); hypehat (lead);
  • Wouldn't It Be Nice To Live Again
  • Loney Days

Thanks again to everyone for your interest!
« Last Edit: November 17, 2012, 12:14:28 PM by egon spengler » Logged
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2012, 09:26:47 AM »

Obviously, me. hahaha...

I play all instruments, and I can sing any part except the surf's up lead :D
« Last Edit: July 11, 2012, 09:28:01 AM by FatherOfTheMan » Logged

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2012, 09:32:24 AM »

Vocally, I'm most comfortable in the range of Brian's in the early 70s. I'm actually a high tenor/low alto, but this is the range I'm most comfortable in. Lead/backup, doesn't matter.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2012, 09:33:29 AM »

I would love to be involved - can't read charts though. I'll leave it to the pros Smiley

Rock on!

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
Austin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2012, 09:34:43 AM »

Count me in.

Assuming we're putting together a compilation of tracks: I really like the idea of having a different producer for each one, although I think we should also have an executive producer who's overseeing things.

Also: this is a very minor detail, but in addition to the participation rule, it'd be useful to specify a basic technical requirement (lossless files, no effects -- that kind of thing) for the actual files submitted, that way we get the most professional(ish) quality possible.
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2012, 09:36:29 AM »

I'm good with mixing a song, I'd love to do SNJ, as I've stated one too many times :D

Austin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2012, 09:37:15 AM »

I would love to be involved - can't read charts though. I'll leave it to the pros Smiley

Rock on!

Don't let that stop you! Almost all notation software nowadays can play back the parts for you, so you can memorize it by ear. I haven't read charts in a long time, so for me hearing it made everything ten times easier.
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2012, 09:38:41 AM »

Rock on!

Don't let that stop you! Almost all notation software nowadays can play back the parts for you, so you can memorize it by ear. I haven't read charts in a long time, so for me hearing it made everything ten times easier.

I hate reading music, since I have pitched hearing I can hear and remember the parts. You don't need any prior knowledge besides the song and how to sing! haha

EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2012, 09:41:32 AM »

Rock on!

I hate reading music, since I have pitched hearing I can hear and remember the parts. You don't need any prior knowledge besides the song and how to sing! haha

Haha ok I'm in - but expect me to call on one of you if I need help!  Grin
I've been told I have a pretty good falsetto, if that comes in handy.... (meaning, I'm more suited to a Brian type part than a Dennis one).
« Last Edit: July 11, 2012, 10:26:41 AM by EgoHanger1966 » Logged

hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2012, 10:22:48 AM »

Consider me right up for this! What would be very cool is if we tried to either keep it in the obscure side of the discography, or at least try and rearrange the more well-known tunes so they're a little more, well, us.

In terms of instruments, I'm a bit of alright on guitar and other things of that nature - banjo is my latest crush at the moment. Piano is very BW like, which is to say POUNDING CHORDS  Grin

I also think my biggest strength is arranging instrumentals/producing, so I'd like to do the heavy lifting on some of that. Do any of us have a real drumkit? Would be immensely helpful.

My voice is a fickle instrument - I smoke too much, so it's a little raspy up high but I still have a pretty good low tone (not quite stable enough for intricate bass parts, if being hyper critical). Might fit a Dennis type role in the mix.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2012, 10:25:05 AM by hypehat » Logged

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2012, 10:35:42 AM »

I hate reading music, since I have pitched hearing I can hear and remember the parts. You don't need any prior knowledge besides the song and how to sing!

I can't really ready music, but have a hell of an ear. Helps out a lot when listening to the BB's songs and figuring out who sings what backup parts Smiley

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2012, 10:43:11 AM »

Do any of us have a real drumkit? Would be immensely helpful.

I have a real drumkit. Not the best set up for recording it, but I can certainly give it a shot.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2012, 10:44:02 AM by EgoHanger1966 » Logged

SG7
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2012, 11:07:29 AM »

That is a fantastic cover of add some music guys. Bravo! I do sing also and depending on time, I wouldn't mind possibly joining in!
« Last Edit: July 11, 2012, 11:11:14 AM by SurferGirl7 » Logged
Austin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2012, 11:12:41 AM »

I've got a kit (mahogany shells, booming kick drum and a birch snare -- good for those big in-the-pocket drum sounds) and about ten good drum mics, so I'd be happy to contribute anything in that department.
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2012, 11:25:58 AM »

I've got a kit (mahogany shells, booming kick drum and a birch snare -- good for those big in-the-pocket drum sounds) and about ten good drum mics, so I'd be happy to contribute anything in that department.

My lone attempt at recording/mixing live drums was for this cover of Guess I'm Dumb ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7jFl3ug0Ls)- I was trying to go for a 60s sound rather than a professional one, but I bet your set up will be much better for this type of recording - cheers!

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2012, 11:30:40 AM »

My lone attempt at recording/mixing live drums was for this cover of Guess I'm Dumb ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7jFl3ug0Ls)- I was trying to go for a 60s sound rather than a professional one, but I bet your set up will be much better for this type of recording - cheers!

That's seriously one of my favorite covers ever. I can't stand the original, but I listen to this version of 'Guess I'm Dumb' quite frequently!

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Melt Away
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2012, 10:25:47 AM »

I can do guitar, bass, bass vocals, tenor and falsetto. Somebody pick a song Smiley

FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2012, 12:09:11 PM »

Little Bird, I'll do Bass or Drums and vox, the guitar chords are easy but I suck a Bb chords so nah

thatjacob
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2012, 01:31:44 PM »

I'd be interested. I can play bass or maybe guitar, but my primary instrument is Lap Steel.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2012, 08:14:58 PM »

I would love to be a part of this but I feel like I would disappoint people due to me mediocre-at-best singing and playing ability.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
egon spengler
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2012, 10:38:55 PM »

I've just updated the first post with some more information on the project, along with a current list of performers and songs.

Count me in.

Assuming we're putting together a compilation of tracks: I really like the idea of having a different producer for each one, although I think we should also have an executive producer who's overseeing things.

Also: this is a very minor detail, but in addition to the participation rule, it'd be useful to specify a basic technical requirement (lossless files, no effects -- that kind of thing) for the actual files submitted, that way we get the most professional(ish) quality possible.

totally agreed on all counts. if nobody objects, I'd be glad to fill an executive producer role. (judging from TWGMTR, "exec producer" means "one who demand the inclusion of 1 lousy/mediocre song for every 2 good ones," right?)

Consider me right up for this! What would be very cool is if we tried to either keep it in the obscure side of the discography, or at least try and rearrange the more well-known tunes so they're a little more, well, us.

Austin and I have had the same conversation about what tunes to pick.. I don't know that we need to hear another straight cover of Wouldn't It Be Nice, but a truly unique WIBN arrangement, or any cover of Steamboat/Time To Get Alone/Soulful Old Man Sunshine, would be welcome additions. A problem I run into here is that I know the discography so well, I don't really know what's considered obscure  LOL

That is a fantastic cover of add some music guys. Bravo! I do sing also and depending on time, I wouldn't mind possibly joining in!

thanks! sorry if this is a ridiculous question, but I take it you're actually a girl? I think it'd be great to add a female voice (or voices) to the mix. there are some songs/spots where it'd be cool to have a female lead.. like the chorus of Don't Worry Baby, since it's the guy quoting the girl.

I would love to be a part of this but I feel like I would disappoint people due to me mediocre-at-best singing and playing ability.

hey, if worse comes to worst we can have someone double your parts to smooth things out. don't self-limit!

Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2012, 05:52:22 AM »

hey, if worse comes to worst we can have someone double your parts to smooth things out. don't self-limit!

haha, okay, I'm on board then! and for leads I could do mid-late 70s Brian. I'm also willing to give guitar, bass and keyboard a go.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2012, 06:17:03 AM by Aegir » Logged

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2012, 05:52:55 AM »

Whoever suggested Break Away, great idea!

FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2012, 07:44:08 AM »

I'm planning on making my own styled "Little bird" backing track today, just as a base to get us rolling. The parts will probably be re-done, like how we did ASMTYD.

Someone wanted to do a banjo part? Well here you go Wink

F that i can't start a song because I don't play "tight" enough haha
« Last Edit: July 13, 2012, 08:16:23 AM by FatherOfTheMan » Logged

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2012, 07:53:18 AM »

Whoever suggested Break Away, great idea!

I second this!

I'd also kinda like to cover 'In Blue Hawaii' from BWPS. Get dmcguire70 to do the lead vocals, the rest of us contribute background vocals (especially for the intro). Make it sound vintage '67 (maybe even mixed in mono). Anyways, just a thought!

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 31 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx