gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681011 Posts in 27626 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 15, 2024, 02:03:49 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: new Nelson Bragg LP: "We Get What We Want"  (Read 2453 times)
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« on: July 11, 2012, 03:17:11 AM »

2nd 'solo' LP by Nelson Bragg: We Get What We Want. Check it out, it's pretty cool.

I don't know his first LP, but this one's nice enough. Some power pop, some other influences, and even a cover of "Baby Let Your Hair Grow Long".  Smiley

Maybe it's available at BBs shows, I don't know.

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2012, 03:24:27 AM »

Got a copy of the CD a few weeks ago - it is a terrific upbeat powerful album, with a great production job. Highly recommended.

“We live in divisive times.”
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2012, 08:41:56 AM »

I don't think it's available at BB shows, but it's very, very good, as you'd expect. It also features a lot of familiar LA pop scene names (including Nick and Probyn - I *think* some other members of Brian's band are on tracks too, but I don't have my copy in front of me to check). For those who know them, it's very like The Now People (one of the several bands Nelson and Probyn both play in -- between the two of them they're on about a dozen of my favourite records of the last decade or so), but with a little less Bacharach/Paul Williams influence and a bit more mainstream guitar-pop style.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2012, 10:28:11 AM »

I love it more & more with every spin. It's a keeper.   3D
And yes, Walusko und Gregory are on it - don't know who else, though - I only got the mp3 version.

Again: Bragg's new CD is highly recommended!  Smiley
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2012, 10:28:49 AM »

It's sort of available at Beach Boys shows, but not at the concession stands/tables. Nelson has been going out into the ticket line crowds, talking to fans and selling copies of his album directly to them. That's how I got my copy -- nicely done and I recommend it.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2012, 12:34:07 PM »

I only have his first album, Day Into Night, which is pretty good.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2012, 12:41:21 PM »

Just checked, the other names I recognised were Gary Griffin and Evie Sands.

But Bragg does a *lot* of the playing on the album himself -- he's credited as playng guitar, drums, percussion, drone, piano, mellotron, pipe organ, vibes, bass, piano, banjo, stylophone and bells.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2012, 12:49:59 PM »

I don't think it's available at BB shows, but it's very, very good, as you'd expect. It also features a lot of familiar LA pop scene names (including Nick and Probyn - I *think* some other members of Brian's band are on tracks too, but I don't have my copy in front of me to check). For those who know them, it's very like The Now People (one of the several bands Nelson and Probyn both play in -- between the two of them they're on about a dozen of my favourite records of the last decade or so), but with a little less Bacharach/Paul Williams influence and a bit more mainstream guitar-pop style.

I like Nelson's new album, too. I don't think it sounds like The Now People at all, though. (The Now People album is brilliant, pure pop for now people!)

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2012, 12:52:42 PM »

Just checked, the other names I recognised were Gary Griffin and Evie Sands.

But Bragg does a *lot* of the playing on the album himself -- he's credited as playng guitar, drums, percussion, drone, piano, mellotron, pipe organ, vibes, bass, piano, banjo, stylophone and bells.
Wow, another Probyn Gregory right there.  Smiley
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2012, 01:00:54 PM »

Most professional musicians know how to play most instruments. I wouldn't be surprised if every member of Brian's band knew how to play guitar, drums, bass, and keyboard.

(and piano, mellotron, pipe organ, and piano all require more or less technique)

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2012, 02:41:11 PM »

I like Nelson's new album, too. I don't think it sounds like The Now People at all, though. (The Now People album is brilliant, pure pop for now people!)

Not so much in the songwriting, but in the general feel and ambience of the record. Songwriting/arrangement-wise it's more straight powerpop, but there's a sonic feel to it that reminded me of that album, in ways I can't really describe.

Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2012, 03:05:53 PM »

Most professional musicians know how to play most instruments.

This is most assuredly not true.

(It depends, for example, on how you define "professional musicians" -- most classical players, I would wager, mostly know the instrument they play. Probably some piano, too, for theory purposes.)
« Last Edit: July 11, 2012, 03:22:38 PM by Wirestone » Logged
SG7
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2012, 03:17:33 PM »

The Now People was more Steve Stanley than anyone else! Not that there is anything wrong with that.
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2012, 04:52:09 PM »

The Now People was more Steve Stanley than anyone else! Not that there is anything wrong with that.

Oh, absolutely -- Steve Stanley was responsible for almost all the songwriting, lead vocals and arrangements on that album, just like e.g. Dave Ponak is on the Mello Cads album that Probyn and Nelson also played on, and I wouldn't want anyone to think otherwise. I just think there's a sonic similarity between the two albums.

Austin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2012, 04:58:45 PM »

It's not that unusual for songwriters and producers to have a passing knowledge of many instruments. But the distance between competence and expertise is much farther than most people realize.
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2012, 08:27:23 PM »

It's sort of available at Beach Boys shows, but not at the concession stands/tables. Nelson has been going out into the ticket line crowds, talking to fans and selling copies of his album directly to them.

Not in Milwaukee. Sad

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2012, 11:04:48 PM »

Most professional musicians know how to play most instruments.

This is most assuredly not true.

(It depends, for example, on how you define "professional musicians" -- most classical players, I would wager, mostly know the instrument they play. Probably some piano, too, for theory purposes.)

rock musicians. especially sidemen.

gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx