gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680753 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 08:50:03 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Assessing the North American tour  (Read 5319 times)
Paul J B
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2012, 06:30:57 PM »

I watched a YouTube clip to relive the Milwaukee show opening number. Seeing/hearing Jeff announce "from Hawthorne the original Beach Boys" and see them emerge one by one as Jeff calls them out is something I will remember until I die.

The last time I saw a Brian solo gig in 2009, it was my 5th Brian show, and afterwards I thought that if Brian was going to do this much longer that he should do it with the Boys one more time. Although I thought it, I really did not expect it to happen.

These guys endured through 50 years of ups and downs. They had their 1st hit record before anyone had ever heard of the Beatles. They survived through disco, punk, grunge, hip hop and more, and still packed the main stage at Summerfest in Milwaukee, almost exactly 37 years to the date as the 1st time I saw them at Summerfest in 1975.

I know it happened.................. but I still don't quite believe it.
roll plymouth rock
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2012, 06:31:44 PM »

Caught the Hollywood Bowl show which was phenomenal!  A lovely experience to soak them in there, and one of the best concert setlists I've ever heard

Ready for tomorrow's show in Calgary - the Saddledome isn't renowned for great acoustics, but I'm sure it will still be a great concert!! Have the boys played any other hockey stadiums on this tour?? Seems like an outdoor affair primarily this tour....about to meet with Probyn, Darian, Scott & Tim for a visit to a synth museum we have in town - gonna be a fun next 24 hours or so for me!

Howie Edelson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 10, 2012, 07:16:50 PM »

They nailed it.
They did it for all the right reasons and the sound and setlists were incredible.
Best case scenario all around.
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 10, 2012, 09:02:53 PM »

Between the fans and the press, this has to be the most heavily-documented BB tour in my memory, and I've been a BB fan since nearly the beginning.

I got to see one show (wish it could have been more) -- and it was great! I love these long, deep setlists. I'm hoping, wishing, and praying for another American leg of the C50 tour. There are a bunch of major towns in the heartland that didn't get a C50 show -- Memphis, for one.

orange22
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 10, 2012, 10:55:49 PM »

It was a life-affirming event when I absolutely needed it.
Which lends an appropriate context to the band's relationship with most of us Smiley Smilers over the past 1, 5, 10, 25, 50 what have you years!
NightHider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 11, 2012, 09:00:58 AM »

Just for fun, I'd recommend reading some threads from two years ago, for instance. Every time the possibility of a reunion was brought up by a fan, it was immediately dismissed. "Their voices are not strong enough". "The BBs play in your town every year and people don't care who the individuals are... There'd be nothing special to this reunion to the average Joe". "Brian is better off touring on his own". "Brian doesn't wanna play with those guys, he's said so". And so forth...

Yeah, I know...

I wonder if 'ol Luther made it to a show.... Grin
Paul J B
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 11, 2012, 11:17:22 AM »

I also think it's great that massive size crowds have been exposed to the backup band and David Marks. That true to the recordings sound was absent through decades worth of Beach Boys shows throughout the majority of their touring career. It really makes the sound............and it could not be better.

AND ........David on the Fender is priceless.
BB Universe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 11, 2012, 01:31:08 PM »

Don't think that anyone can think its gone better than it has. Each show seems to be a celebration of and by the group - the fans coming away happy and satisfied. The reviews complimentary; the interviews of the guys showing a sheer enjoyment of being together (harmony). The performances seem to be tight and the setlists providing something for everyone.

While I've enjoyed the "Mike and Bruce" and Brian and his group shows, this tour shows that "the whole is greater than the sum of the parts". I don't think that since the mid 70's (Endless Summer), there's been such positive vibes about these guys.

Hopefully, when this tour is done they make arrangements to visit the studio again foir another release because TWGMTR is a very enyoyable CD and anything similar (in terms of quality and performance) would be appreciated. Another tour would be great but I'm not sure it would have the same public interest that a "celebration of 50 years" naturally provides. Yet, at an artistic level like they provide now, it would be welcome.

Truly, while everyone hoped that something like this might happen someday its doubtful anyone truly believed it would happen. The guys deserve immense credit for getting it together, doing it and doing it in an excellent way.
NatureShowInStereo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 11, 2012, 05:01:50 PM »

It was everything anyone could hope for and much more. The sets were satisfying, the tour lasted, Mike behaved, they kicked the autotune, the set length was fulfilling, the original members were perfectly showcased, the backing band didn't miss a beat, Foskett didn't end up inappropriately drowning anyone out, the album turned out to be one of the best... This reunion was done properly, to say the least. I don't even feel iffy saying or thinking that. I just wish I could have seen the show more than once. I would go 10 more times if I could.
Dave in KC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 11, 2012, 05:09:00 PM »

Between the fans and the press, this has to be the most heavily-documented BB tour in my memory, and I've been a BB fan since nearly the beginning.

I got to see one show (wish it could have been more) -- and it was great! I love these long, deep setlists. I'm hoping, wishing, and praying for another American leg of the C50 tour. There are a bunch of major towns in the heartland that didn't get a C50 show -- Memphis, for one.
AND the number 2 concert arena in the US in revenue............Kansas City's Sprint Center. Look it up.
Plus Omaha, Saint Louis, Oklahoma City, Wichita, Des Moines. That's the Heartland.
OK, Memphis too.
Delta

Doo Dah
Smiley Smile Associate

One man's troll is another man's freedom fighter.

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 11, 2012, 05:14:48 PM »

I really can't add anymore to what's been said - the attention to detail and the breadth of the setlist have been stunning. I think we all kind of 'hoped' that the sum would be greater, but seeing it all come together has been exciting, inspiring, and wistful.

When I think of how these shows were set up long before anyone knew definitively how it would all work - they really showed some courage here. Add the album and all the teevee promos for the album, and it's amazing how they kept it all together and rose to each challenge.

AGD is gone.
AGD is gone.
Heigh ho the derry-o
AGD is gone
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 15, 2012, 07:09:10 PM »

As I write this the band is getting ready for their last (for now?) US show. I have dug up a old thread on some serious and tongue in cheek requests from prior to the tour. Fun to read now!

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,11982.0.html

Can I just say congratulations to all concerned. Many, including myself, wondered could Brian last 50 shows? Sure he looks pooped but he has been a trooper. Including TV shows he and the others have played those great songs for a total of almost 2500 times but have managed to sound fresh each and every time despite up to 5 shows a week.

Well done all.

adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 15, 2012, 07:28:50 PM »

Just for fun, I'd recommend reading some threads from two years ago, for instance. Every time the possibility of a reunion was brought up by a fan, it was immediately dismissed. "Their voices are not strong enough". "The BBs play in your town every year and people don't care who the individuals are... There'd be nothing special to this reunion to the average Joe". "Brian is better off touring on his own". "Brian doesn't wanna play with those guys, he's said so". And so forth...

Yeah, I know...

Those weren't my reasons, but I was one of them.  And when I'm wrong, I admit it.  I was wrong.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx