gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 01:42:04 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Jim Gordon: Where Is He Now?  (Read 5315 times)
Surfer Joe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: April 10, 2006, 12:21:36 PM »

I was just in the car, listening to Jim Gordon's incredible drums on "Rikki Don't Lose That Number", and wondering where and how he is these days.  What a story- I assume most everyone here knows what all happened to him.  Does anyone know if he's out of prison these days, or if he ever got any better?  Is he even living?

"Don't let the posey fool ya."

-Prof. Henry R. Quail-
rb
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2006, 12:45:38 PM »

As of 2003, looks like he was still in prison. I'd wondered recently myself about him. Yes, a very sad story... but he said as of 1993 that meds were stopping him from being delusional, at any rate.
Glenn Greenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2006, 01:06:04 PM »

Isn't he police commissioner of Gotham City?

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Glenn
endofposts
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2006, 01:34:29 PM »

There's a story/interview with him here:

http://www.iem.ac.ru/clapton/articles/gordon.washpost.html

He's apparently less delusional now and more normal, but he has been denied parole twice.  He probably will never get out because of the political climate in California, or really, most places. 
Surfer Joe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2006, 02:07:07 PM »

Sad stuff. Thanks, guys...

-Prof. Henry R. Quail-
Reverend Joshua Sloane
Smiley Smile Associate

Since I cannot rouse heaven I intend to raise hell

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2006, 02:54:47 PM »

I am not aware of his story. Please tell.

Did it ever occur to you, Cable, how wise and bountiful God was to put breasts on a woman? Just the right number in just the right place. Did you ever notice that, Cable?
Reverend Joshua Sloane
Smiley Smile Associate

Since I cannot rouse heaven I intend to raise hell

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2006, 02:56:54 PM »

Nevermind, got it.

Pretty crazy.

Did it ever occur to you, Cable, how wise and bountiful God was to put breasts on a woman? Just the right number in just the right place. Did you ever notice that, Cable?
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2006, 03:54:38 PM »

He's supposedly at a facility that's very close to where I live.
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2006, 03:58:44 PM »

I wonder if they let him play drums.  I hope he does.  He was so good, and had such a nice touch. 
Surfer Joe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2006, 04:16:30 PM »

Rolling Stone did an incredible story on him not long after it all happened, and it seems like I remember that he was playing drums in prison according to the story- all those years ago.

He really did have an incredible touch; his playing always gets my attention.  Is it him on "Imagine"?

-Prof. Henry R. Quail-
Daniel S.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2006, 05:13:24 PM »

I know Ringo Starr did a fair amount of drumming on All Things Must Pass, but I heard Jim Gordon did the rest and that is how he met Clapton. Does anyone know what songs on All Things Must Pass Jim Gordon played on and what songs Ringo played on?

Let us all stay teenage gamblers listening to the radio.
Surfer Joe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2006, 07:37:33 PM »

Heywood, I fished out my older CD of ATMP, and as I half-recalled, the credits are a sham.  Ringo, Gordon, and Alan White are credited collectively for all drums.  I don't know if the remaster from a few years ago did any better.  I seem to recall that the credits are a bit jumbled in memory anyway, from an interview with one of the musicians or something. 

If Ringo's on a track, you'll never pick it up from studio chatter.  "I got blisters on my fingers!" is about all we ever heard out of him, conversationally,  in Abbey Road.

-Prof. Henry R. Quail-
Daniel S.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2006, 08:42:55 PM »

Heywood, I fished out my older CD of ATMP, and as I half-recalled, the credits are a sham.  Ringo, Gordon, and Alan White are credited collectively for all drums.  I don't know if the remaster from a few years ago did any better. 

I have the box remaster and it doesn't say who played on what tracks. It also has a single drums & percussion credit with Ringo, Gordon, and Alan White's names.

If Ringo's on a track, you'll never pick it up from studio chatter.  "I got blisters on my fingers!" is about all we ever heard out of him, conversationally,  in Abbey Road.

That's Ringo! I always thought it was Paul. But I never looked into it. I don't have any Beatle books. Is there some book that documents the solo years of Paul, John and George with studio session info? If there isn't, there should be.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2006, 08:44:28 PM by Heywood Floyd » Logged

Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2006, 08:54:02 PM »

I think one should be able to at least pick out which tracks are Ringo vs. Jim.  I don't know about Alan White, but Ringo's sound is one of the most easily identifiable drum sounds of all time.  Jim's is pretty distinct too.   
Daniel S.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2006, 09:46:53 PM »

Do you want to take a stab at it?

Surfer Joe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2006, 11:09:57 PM »

The problem there is that it's a "wall of sound" album- I could be wrong, but I think they're probably playing two together at times.  I'll pop it in tomorrow and focus on the drums, which will be a pleasure, and report back, if no one more able beats me to it.

-Prof. Henry R. Quail-
Surfer Joe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2006, 12:24:35 AM »

Preliminary ID of Ringo on "Let It Down", "Isn't It A Pity" (V.1), (1 of two?) maybe one of two on "What Is Life"...? "Run Of the Mill" (for sure),  "Beware Of Darkness" (for sure), the possibly anti-McCartney "Wah-Wah" (1 of two? not at all sure on this one), maybe "I'd Have You Anytime"..."Ballad Of Sir Franklin" "All Things Must Pass"

"Behind That Locked Door"- great song, can't say yes or no for sure but sounds like him.

No on "My Sweet Lord". "Apple Scruffs" n/a.  "If Not For You"...don't think so. "Awaiting On You All"- layered sound- Gordon?

That's a lot of tracks, but it raises the question- you're playing on George's first solo album, a huge event record.  Ringo is around.  How much are you subconciously imitating him? It'd be hard not to play a few Ringo fills.

I'll take a whack at disc two tomorrow.  Somebody grade me.  Watch me get an "F"... Grin

What a great album.

-Prof. Henry R. Quail-
endofposts
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2006, 02:52:57 PM »

It probably is Ringo-ish, whether Ringo or not.  Ringo and Jim Keltner form a tandem on "Concert for Bangladesh," they play identically, and all in Ringo style. 
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx