gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680820 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 01:46:09 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Show 48: Scotiabank Saddledome - Calgary, AB 7/11/12  (Read 30930 times)
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: July 12, 2012, 03:08:20 PM »

409, one of the songs I really, really, really want to hear in a live setting. Such a great rock'n'roll tune. And once again it is Mike's hook ("giddy up, giddy up, giddy up 409") that polishes the song.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 12, 2012, 03:32:23 PM »

So I know this is prolly old news, but the backing band is playing the instrumental to Pet Sounds? That's really awesome. What to the guys do during that? does Brian conduct? Mike get out the sax?  Wink Bruce and Al play?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9ljtWVMoqQ&feature=related
I don't see any of the BBs in that clip, aside from DM?

Correct.  This one starts the second set.  After this one they all come out and do Add Some Music around Brian's piano.
Yeah, I know. I just thought Jon wanted to post a clip where the BBs can be visible during "Pet Sounds" - since that clip (and nothing more) was his response to punkinhead.
Interesting thought process.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 12, 2012, 05:12:17 PM »

Good god how does he do this sh*t in EVERY PICTURE.  Brian hates photos, right?  Doesn't like the celebrity thing, hates dressing up... but yet, once again, he somehow seems different than everybody in the picture, so he's the one you notice.  Everybody's relaxed... but Brian's rellllaaaaxxeeeeddddd
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 12, 2012, 05:15:05 PM »

You start taking the garage rockers like 409 out of the set and you end up with no balls. BTW the band loves playing this song.

I gotta agree.  And one thing that's important for 70 years old is to appear as if you still have Balls.  It's the Clint Eastwood song choice. 

409 says "Yeah.  I got a car.  It's fucking fast.  It's like me.  It growls.  It's stronger than you. "

Wendy says "My girlfriend screwed my friend and now i'm whining about it"

So maybe they could drop Wendy, lol. 
Bud Shaver
Smiley Smile Associate

Let Us Go On This Way

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 12, 2012, 05:30:54 PM »

I can't believe this picture hadn't shown up yet:

"Brian waiting for luggage at customs at Calgary Airport today"

Awesome.
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 12, 2012, 05:33:51 PM »

I can't believe this picture hadn't shown up yet:

Believe it: 

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,13809.0.html
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 12, 2012, 05:34:06 PM »

Great picture, it's one of those '1000 words' pictures.
Bud Shaver
Smiley Smile Associate

Let Us Go On This Way

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 12, 2012, 05:40:50 PM »

Note to self:  Bong down brah.

I'm pretty sure I saw that thread, it may be the first place I saw the picture. 

I may need to open a window...
Juice Brohnston
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 12, 2012, 07:34:22 PM »

Good god how does he do this sh*t in EVERY PICTURE.  Brian hates photos, right?  Doesn't like the celebrity thing, hates dressing up... but yet, once again, he somehow seems different than everybody in the picture, so he's the one you notice.  Everybody's relaxed... but Brian's rellllaaaaxxeeeeddddd

Hockey and The Beach Boys...perfect!
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: July 12, 2012, 08:13:40 PM »

RIGHT NOW! DAMN YOU MIKE LOVE AND YOUR FILTHY MECHANICAL LEANINGS, I HATE 409 AND WENDY, EVERYONE HATES THEM.
409, whatever, it's kinda silly.

but Wendy? I LOVE WENDY! so ahead of its time. it could've been on Today! (yeah I know that's only a year but every year in the 60s is like 5 years of cultural development)
People who don't like 409 are pussies.

I wouldn't go that far, but I do like 409. more than most people in this universe, I'm certain. but it's easier for me to see why someone wouldn't like 409 than it is for me to comprehend that a Beach Boys fan wouldn't like Wendy.

also, something that makes 409 great is Mike's vocal. if Brian's band or Al's band or the Surf City Allstars or Papa Doo Run Run or California Saga or the OC Beach Band etc performed it, I definitely wouldn't like it as much.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: July 13, 2012, 03:22:23 AM »

Source with review: http://www.canada.com/entertainment/Review+Beach+Boys+deliver+good+vibrations+Saddledome/6920026/story.html

Facebook:

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
roll plymouth rock
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: July 13, 2012, 11:30:06 PM »

real setlist:

Do It Again
Catch a Wave
Hawaii
Don't Back Down
Surfin Safari
Surfer Girl
Getcha Back
Wendy
This Whole World
Then I Kissed Her
Please Let Me Wonder
Come Go with Me
Why Do Fools Fall in Love
When I Grow Up (to Be a Man)
Disney Girls
Kiss Me, Baby
It's OK
Cotton Fields
Good Timin'
Isn't It Time
Be True to Your School
Don't Worry Baby
Little Deuce Coupe
Shut Down
I Get Around

Intermission:
Pet Sounds
Add Some Music to Your Day
Heroes and Villains
I Just Wasn't Made for These Times
Sloop John B
Wouldn't It Be Nice
In My Room
All This Is That
That's Why God Made the Radio
Sail On Sailor
Forever
God Only Knows
Good Vibrations
California Girls
All Summer Long
Rock and Roll Music
Barbara Ann
Surfin USA
Kokomo
Do You Wanna Dance?
Fun Fun Fun

this is missing a couple tunes....my memory isnt super sharp but they definitely played California Saga (On My Way) during the 1st set

got to do some cool stuff including soundcheck - al did a cover of don't be cruel at soundcheck!!!

SIP.FLAC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 14, 2012, 04:43:10 PM »

Barnaby is right but I think the only missing song is in fact California Saga.

Youre not allowed to have a picture in your signature so imagine this : Tony Montana shooting a machine gun (his little friend), but the face is actually Mike Love haha.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: July 15, 2012, 11:30:34 AM »

got to do some cool stuff including soundcheck - al did a cover of don't be cruel at soundcheck!!!

F*ck !!!! That I would love to hear !! Brian produced a version for Spring/Honey/American Spring in '78

- Jack Rieley
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx