gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:41:18 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Which do you prefer?
Sunflower - 93 (65%)
Surf's Up - 50 (35%)
Total Voters: 132

Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Twofer polls #2: Sunflower vs Surf's Up  (Read 36457 times)
Don Malcolm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 22, 2012, 07:35:42 PM »

Back in the day, when we were forced to be a bit careful about our love for the Boys, most of my friends in the "underground" felt Sunflower was a better overall record than Surf's Up, even though the two best songs out of the whole collection are (arguably) "Surf's Up" and "Til I Die." Even then, we were wondering why it seemed that there wasn't enough recognition of what Dennis was contributing as a songwriter, and his creative absence on Surf's Up was (and is) an all-too-noticeable one.

bluesno1fann
« Reply #51 on: February 08, 2014, 02:22:25 AM »

Both so good, and it's probably the toughest Twofer poll around.
But gotta go with Surf's Up, only because I'm on a Surf's Up kick at the moment!
retrokid67
Smiley Smile Associate

Denny the Dream

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 09, 2014, 07:07:05 PM »

Sunflower is my favorite, no one was left out  Grin

"In this new day, change your heart.  Forgive your brother, for life is precious."

-Dennis Wilson
bluesno1fann
« Reply #53 on: February 09, 2014, 07:40:31 PM »

Just wondering, if Student Demonstration Time was left out as a non-album single, and 4th Of July and WIBNTLA were added onto Surf's Up, what would you vote for?
retrokid67
Smiley Smile Associate

Denny the Dream

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 09, 2014, 07:46:58 PM »

Just wondering, if Student Demonstration Time was left out as a non-album single, and 4th Of July and WIBNTLA were added onto Surf's Up, what would you vote for?

Now that's a tough one....wow... I guess I would go with....well,  if you took TALOYF away then I guess I would pick Surf's Up, it's too hard to decide for sure  LOL they're both awesome

"In this new day, change your heart.  Forgive your brother, for life is precious."

-Dennis Wilson
bluesno1fann
« Reply #55 on: February 09, 2014, 07:49:46 PM »

Now that's a tough one....wow... I guess I would go with....well,  if you took TALOYF away then I guess I would pick Surf's Up, it's too hard to decide for sure  LOL they're both awesome

TALOYF may be the worst song off the album, but it fits very well on it. Without it, Surf's Up just wouldn't be the same. Face it, TALOYF needs Surf's Up just as much as Surf's Up needs TALOYF.
SDT on the other hand may not be as bad, but it doesn't belong on Surf's Up.
retrokid67
Smiley Smile Associate

Denny the Dream

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 09, 2014, 08:16:21 PM »

TALOYF may be the worst song off the album, but it fits very well on it. Without it, Surf's Up just wouldn't be the same. Face it, TALOYF needs Surf's Up just as much as Surf's Up needs TALOYF.
SDT on the other hand may not be as bad, but it doesn't belong on Surf's Up.

hmm I don't know I've always found that song to be weird and pointless just the fact that that song made it on and WIBNTLA didn't makes me dislike it even more  Shrug but I do agree about SDT it doesn't fit at all

-Dennis Wilson
Tony S
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 10, 2014, 04:07:48 AM »

Sunflower is my all time favorite Beach Bots album, after Pet Sounds. Surf's Up is close for me too. The 'vibe' on Sunflower seems a bit more positive, and there are more group vocals too. Though Til I Die is the best of the collections, along with of course Surf;\'s Up.
slippingonthrough
Smiley Smile Associate

Male eagle walking down the street....

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 17, 2014, 10:06:32 PM »

This one is easy for me: Sunflower.

Surf's Up is quite inconsistent especially songwriting wise. I also think the sound quality isn't that good on some songs. Long Promised Road is almost ruined by the sound quality. Great album still.
Sunflower has very consistent songwriting and sounds great. Slip On Through, It's About Time, Add Some Music are my favourites.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 18, 2014, 05:41:04 AM »

Much as I like Sunflower----a kaleidoscope of an album----Surf's Up has to have my vote. Side one of the original album has its moments (most notably "LPR") but side two is a thing of staggering beauty. 

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
slippingonthrough
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: March 19, 2014, 09:56:19 PM »

What about Al? He only sings a couple of lines on Add Some Music,
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #61 on: March 19, 2014, 11:51:29 PM »

Yeah but he also co-writes It's About Time (brilliant) and At My Window (also brilliant). Does anyone know what Al's exact contribution was to the former? I've always assumed it was to add that awesome guitar riff at the end but I could be wrong...
slippingonthrough
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 20, 2014, 12:56:45 AM »

Yeah but he also co-writes It's About Time (brilliant) and At My Window (also brilliant). Does anyone know what Al's exact contribution was to the former? I've always assumed it was to add that awesome guitar riff at the end but I could be wrong...
Even though he wrote some of the songs it just doesn't feel like Al's there. They should've added Back Home or Susie Cincinnati.
retrokid67
Smiley Smile Associate

Denny the Dream

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 22, 2014, 02:39:05 PM »

Even though he wrote some of the songs it just doesn't feel like Al's there. They should've added Back Home or Susie Cincinnati.

You have a point.  I like his version of Back Home it's probably one of my favorite leads of his  Smiley

-Dennis Wilson
Summer_Days
Smiley Smile Associate

...and your dream comes true.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: September 20, 2014, 10:32:02 AM »

Surf's Up has some "meh" songs, unfortunately. Though 'Til I Die' and 'Surf's Up' trumps everything on Sunflower, the latter album is still way better.

Wouldn't it be nice if we were older, then we wouldn't have to wait so long
And wouldn't it be nice to live together, in the kind of world where we belong?
http://wildsmiley.weebly.com
bluesno1fann
« Reply #65 on: September 21, 2014, 09:04:51 PM »

Surf's Up has some "meh" songs, unfortunately. Though 'Til I Die' and 'Surf's Up' trumps everything on Sunflower, the latter album is still way better.

What about the two Carl song off Surf's Up?
Summer_Days
Smiley Smile Associate

...and your dream comes true.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: September 22, 2014, 12:48:42 PM »

What about the two Carl song off Surf's Up?

I love, love, love 'Long Promised Road' and really like 'Feel Flows'. Image if LPR was on Sunflower instead of 'Tears in the Morning'...holy crap!

Wouldn't it be nice if we were older, then we wouldn't have to wait so long
And wouldn't it be nice to live together, in the kind of world where we belong?
http://wildsmiley.weebly.com
KDS
« Reply #67 on: July 17, 2015, 11:21:34 AM »

This is a tough one. 

The greatest individual songs on Surf's Up are probably superior to the greatest individual songs on Sunflower.

However, as an album from start to finish, Sunflower wins out for me. 

I can even forgive Student Demonstration Time, but not Take a Load Off Your Feet. 
Mujan, 8@$+@Rc| of a Blue Wizard
Smiley Smile Associate

SMiLE is America: Infinite Potential Never Reached

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: October 12, 2015, 11:22:18 PM »

Whats rightly or wrongly considered their best group album versus a dated, forced attempt at being hip?

Yeah, give me Sunflower any day.

Here are my SMiLE Mixes. All are 2 suite, but still vastly different in several ways. Be on the lookout for another, someday.

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE
Dumb Angel (Olorin Edition)>HERE
Dumb Angel [the Romestamo Cut]>HERE

& This is a new pet project Ive worked on, which combines Fritz Lang's classic film, Metropolis (1927) with The United States of America (1968) as a new soundtrack. More info is in the video description.
The American Metropolitan Circus>HERE
[
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx