gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 06:03:10 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Which do you prefer?
Sunflower - 93 (65%)
Surf's Up - 50 (35%)
Total Voters: 132

Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Twofer polls #2: Sunflower vs Surf's Up  (Read 36460 times)
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2012, 01:28:08 PM »

The Second Dennis opens the album it's non stop magic from there..

Unless I'm playing my UK LP, then Al's Cottonfields opens it! And since I'm rating the two original official releases, this gives Sunflower my Vote (although it would probably win anyway)

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 09, 2012, 05:20:28 PM »

Talking of codas, the ending to Don't Go Near The Water is another highlight from SU, and this seemingly composed by Mike & Al.

Daryl Dragon...

I slightly prefer Sunflower but they are both quality albums. The only things that let Sunflower down for me are Got to Know the Woman and maybe Tears in the Morning. The former is one of Dennis` weakest songs and there were several better options around at the time.

Mama, mama, mama, mama, oom mow mow

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 09, 2012, 05:48:38 PM »

This is too hard for me.

That's what she s.....never mind.

#flawlessvictory

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
TimeToGetAlone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 09, 2012, 07:45:17 PM »

As I did in the other thread, here's a ranking of all the songs between the two albums.  Sunflower in italics and Surf's Up in bold.

All I Wanna Do
Surf's Up
'Til I Die
Forever
Feel Flows
This Whole World
Slip On Through
A Day in the Life of a Tree
Deirdre
It's About Time
Long Promised Road
Cool, Cool Water
Got to Know the Woman
Disney Girls (1957)
Add Some Music To Your Day
Our Sweet Love
Don't Go Near the Water
Lookin' at Tomorrow (A Welfare Song)
Take a Load Off Your Feet
At My Window
Tears in the Morning
Student Demonstration Time

I've gotta give the edge to Sunflower, though I think both are essential Beach Boys albums containing IMO three of their absolute best songs in All I Wanna Do, Surf's Up, and 'Til I Die and a myriad of others that are in close company.  I think Sunflower is the better album overall though, having nothing as uninspired and jarring as Student Demonstration Time and, despite being a democratic effort, a tasteful blend of unity and variety.  Surf's Up has ridiculous highs and its darker edge is welcome, but would have greatly benefitted from the elimination of one or two tracks in favour of the Dennis songs which were left off.  The best of the twofers.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2012, 09:52:14 PM by TimeToGetAlone » Logged
MBE
« Reply #29 on: July 09, 2012, 08:18:29 PM »

I love Surf's Up but Sunflower is one of those special albums that only come along a few times in a career where everything works.
LetHimRun
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 09, 2012, 09:04:38 PM »

I love Surf's Up but Sunflower is one of those special albums that only come along a few times in a career where everything works.
Agreed.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 09, 2012, 11:57:25 PM »

Surf's Up has some amazing songs - the title track, Til I Die, Long Promised Road, Feel Flows; Disney Girls is very nice; Lookin' at Tomorrow is a good track. A Day in the Life of a Tree is so freaking odd....probably a turnoff for a lot of people, but I like it. I don't mind Student Demonstration Time, but I could live without Take A Load Off Of Your Feet. Don't Go Near the Water probably isn't that great of a song, but the closing harmonies redeem it. Sunflower, though, is just absolute perfection from beginning to end. I cannot listen to just one song from that album without wanting to hear whatever comes after it. Pet Sounds will always be rated the masterpiece, but Sunflower is my personal favorite BB's album.
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 10, 2012, 02:25:28 AM »

Sunflower is an incredibly cohesive effort considering it's essentially the work and vision of an entire group of very strong individuals. Also, it's completely unpretentious in terms of overall style and lyrical subject matter.

Surf's Up, on the other hand, may have its flaws in terms of overall cohesiveness but personally I find it irresistably perplexing as an album coming coming from a group such as the Beach Boys. Kind of somber and brooding, much like the album cover suggests. Always felt this record played a major role in constructing the overall image we have of Brian Wilson after Pet Sounds and Smile.

Impossible to decide which one I like better.
over and over
Smiley Smile Associate

Help you in whatever you do

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 10, 2012, 02:30:24 AM »

"All I Wanna Do" is the greatest song ever writtin imo.

"Give me a break, I'm trying something new." - Brian Wilson
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 10, 2012, 03:02:52 AM »

Come on! Too many people opting out of this vote on the basis that the choice is too hard  Azn

Ok how about this? Your Arabian tent is on fire. You've already tossed out all the sandwiches and reddi whip cans but inexplicably you took your cherished copies of the Sunflower and Surf's Up LPs in there with you and now there's only enough time to rescue one! What's it gonna be?

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 10, 2012, 03:18:51 AM »

Come on! Too many people opting out of this vote on the basis that the choice is too hard  Azn

Ok how about this? Your Arabian tent is on fire. You've already tossed out all the sandwiches and reddi whip cans but inexplicably you took your cherished copies of the Sunflower and Surf's Up LPs in there with you and now there's only enough time to rescue one! What's it gonna be?

Now how in the world did THAT happen? Smokin

In this case I'd probably take Surf's Up as that's the one that basically made me a dedicated (i.e. obsessed) BW/BB fan.
Jukka
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 10, 2012, 05:27:01 AM »

I'd save Sunflower's A-side and Surf's Up's B-side. That way I would have best of both worlds.

Although I would miss Forever... Damn, this is impossible.

"Surfing and cars were okay but there was a war going on."
TV Forces
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 10, 2012, 05:47:13 AM »

I prefer "Sunflower" to "Surf's Up."  "Sunflower" sounds a lot more fresh, which is interesting since it went through several configurations before its release.  When I first heard the album, tracks like "Slip on Through" and "This Whole World" sounded so much better than previous efforts.  "Add Some Music" and "It's About Time" are other highlights from side 1.  Was never a big fan of the two Bruce songs or "Got to Know the Woman," but "Forever" and "All I Wanna Do" are other gems.

Regarding the "Surf's Up" album:  "Don't Go Near the Water," "Take a Load Off..," and "Student Demonstration Time" make side 1 awfully weak.  "Take a Load Off" is fun, but non-essential.  I thought of it, however, as soon as I heard the new "Isn't It Time."  Similar bounce on that one.  So where side 1 is 40% good, side 2 is all good.  "Feel Flows" is a great one, "Looking at Tomorrow" is underrated, and the Brian Wilson trilogy that ends the album is pretty awesome.  "Til I Die" being a gem.  "Surf's Up" works, but it sounds out of place.  

Some of the songs left off these releases are very good, but judging by what we got, my nod goes to "Sunflower" on this one.  
« Last Edit: July 10, 2012, 05:51:18 AM by TV Forces » Logged
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 10, 2012, 07:56:29 AM »

Since the twofer is the only version I've heard of these albums, I've always thought of them as one album.  It works so well, if not better.  The first time I heard it, I actually thought "Cool Cool Water" and "Don't Go Near the Water" were parts of the same song.  The way they did that with a water song closing one album and opening the next, it's almost like they were meant to be played together.  But overall, "Sunflower" has stronger material despite "Surf's Up" having some of my favorites ("Til I Die," "Surf's Up" [which I would argue works better on Smile], "Feel Flows," "Long Promised Road").  "Sunflower" flows much better in my opinion.  "Sunflower" also has less filler than "Surf's Up" does.  Even though it would be very short, if "Surf's Up" dropped "Take a Load off Your Feet," "Student Demonstration Time," and "Lookin' at Tomorrow" while switching the order of "Surf's Up" making "Til I Die" the final track (which is how it's done on the Good Vibrations box set), it would be a perfect album.

Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 10, 2012, 08:04:23 AM »

my vote to sunflower simply because I hate SDT and Disney Girls more than TITM and Deirdre. Sorry Bruce, you suck.
TV Forces
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 10, 2012, 08:33:18 AM »

Since the twofer is the only version I've heard of these albums, I've always thought of them as one album.  It works so well, if not better.  The first time I heard it, I actually thought "Cool Cool Water" and "Don't Go Near the Water" were parts of the same song. 

You rule at paying attention. 
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 10, 2012, 08:45:41 AM »

Since the twofer is the only version I've heard of these albums, I've always thought of them as one album.  It works so well, if not better.  The first time I heard it, I actually thought "Cool Cool Water" and "Don't Go Near the Water" were parts of the same song.  The way they did that with a water song closing one album and opening the next, it's almost like they were meant to be played together. 

While not intentional, some of those 70's Twofers have neat transitions, like the aforementioned "Cool Cool Water" into "Don't Go Near The Water", "Just Once In My Life" into "Let Us Go On This Way", "Winds Of Change" into "Good Timin", and "Endless Harmony" into "Getcha Back".
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #42 on: July 10, 2012, 01:29:53 PM »

What's with all the hate for Got To Know The Woman? It's a fantastic track! The chorus is killer (love the female backing vocals) and Dennis is clealy having the time of his life!
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 10, 2012, 01:33:35 PM »

What's with all the hate for Got To Know The Woman? It's a fantastic track! The chorus is killer (love the female backing vocals) and Dennis is clealy having the time of his life!
It's a fun track. Okay, it's no Slip on Through or Forever, but I don't believe EVERY SONG has to be a serious statement. It's okay to lighten up and have a little fun.
doing
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 10, 2012, 11:49:55 PM »

I would say that though Sunflower is certainly a more consistent album, the high points of Surf's Up easily trump the highs of Sunflower, however much I may be pilloried for saying so.

Also, I can understand why people would dislike Take a Load and Don't Go Near the Water, both of those tracks have grown on me. At least they both have relatively interesting arrangements (especially Water, if it weren't for the cringeworthy lyrics that would be a first-rate track IMO).

Student Demonstration Time can eat a bag of dicks, though.
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 11, 2012, 03:16:22 AM »

The Second Dennis opens the album it's non stop magic from there..

Unless I'm playing my UK LP, then Al's Cottonfields opens it! And since I'm rating the two original official releases, this gives Sunflower my Vote (although it would probably win anyway)

There's a lot to be said for that UK sequence. I think I prefer it kicking off with Cottonfields, and the inversion of Deidre/Gotta Know The Woman. Means I can listen to 5 songs before reaching for the skip button!

Edit - Question for the boffins:

Is the UK pressing/mix of Sunflower exactly the same as the US one in quality (except Cottonfileds which as I understand it is in mono and, er, obviously absent from the US one)?
« Last Edit: July 11, 2012, 04:28:13 AM by buddhahat » Logged

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 11, 2012, 04:34:54 AM »

I voted Surf's Up. It's more interesting than Sunflower, weirder and more contemplative (Disney Girls, Long Promised Road, 'Til I Die, etc), and has higher highs - Day In The Life, Surf's Up, the Carl tunes.... I love the dark vibe.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 11, 2012, 04:50:08 AM »

I voted Surf's Up. It's more interesting than Sunflower, weirder and more contemplative (Disney Girls, Long Promised Road, 'Til I Die, etc), and has higher highs - Day In The Life, Surf's Up, the Carl tunes.... I love the dark vibe.

Lured to the dark side!  Jedi Duel

Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 11, 2012, 10:25:56 AM »

These are my number 2 and 3 Beach Boys albums (after WH), and I tend to regard them as equal to one another. In other words, the Sunflower/Surf's Up twofer is my favorite "double" Beach Boys album!

Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 15, 2012, 06:37:19 PM »

I like Surfs Up better all the way! It's not as good as it could be with a few of Dennis songs on it. But that is made up with two strong tracks by Carl. I think it has more creativity then Sunflower. IMO, Surfs Up is to Sunflower, what SMiLE is to Pet Sounds.

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx