gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680749 Posts in 27614 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 08:22:58 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: "Back Home"  (Read 2995 times)
Don't Back Down
Smiley Smile Associate

shoo-be-do-ba

View Profile WWW
« on: April 10, 2006, 06:45:32 AM »

There seems to be so many attempts at this song and to me seems like it's one of Brian's favorites. What's the origin behind this one? Obviously he's not from Ohio, true it's just lyrics, but I want to know how it came about. Whenever I see or hear Brian performing it he seems to have a great time with the song. The Live At Roxy version seems to be a mixture of the 1963 version (with the sax) and the 15 Big Ones backing vocal wise.

Thanks!

-OMP

Moon shines bright, asleep in my bed, like so many people got a big day ahead of me
Cabana Boy
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2006, 07:31:28 AM »

The original was cut June 14th '63, during the 'Surfer Girl' sessions.
As for the thought behind the lyrics - ?
Someone (Mikie from the ShutDown board, I think) once noted that it would've been a good fit for Brian's Survivors side-project. I agree.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2006, 07:37:48 AM by Cabana Boy » Logged
rb
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2006, 08:10:20 AM »

Was Brian's part of the Wilson clan not originally from Ohio or something like that?

The theme of the song seems to be the same as 'I'm In Great Shape'. He musta wanted to be a farmboy - maybe the key line is 'I’ll hit the sack early everynight thinkin’ ’bout tomorrow' - perhaps as opposed to reliving and worrying about the day's events before sleep; a wish for a less complicated lifestyle.

Anyways, 'King Harvest' it ain't.
Cabana Boy
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2006, 09:06:10 AM »

Was Brian's part of the Wilson clan not originally from Ohio or something like that?
Ah, yeah. Brian's progenitors wound up in CA via a spell in Kansas, oi tink I remember reading.
Jason Penick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2006, 09:56:59 AM »

I remember a thread about this song awhile back where someone speculated it was either about Dennis or Al Jardine, as they both spent some time in Ohio.

Interesting how the lyric parallels some of the later SMiLE stuff like "Barnyard" and "I'm in Great Shape".  Was Brian always a big believer in healthy living?

FWIW, I love this song in each of its incarnations.  There's something so pure and fun about it.

SUICIDE
It only makes things worse. You can't solve anything by killing yourself. I mean, things can only get better, but if you're dead, they may not. -- Brian Wilson
endofposts
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2006, 01:41:08 PM »

It reminds me of Dion.  Too bad Brian didn't explore his Dion fixation as much as his Spector one, because it made for some fun music.  Not only BH, but also his version of Ruby Baby on "Party."
PMcC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2006, 01:45:24 PM »

I am one of the folks who always thought Back Home was a major highlight of 15 big ones (an album with few highlights) His rough approach to his vocal worked wonderfully on this song (and horribly with others)

"Anytime I want to hear the Beach Boys, I put on a Brian Wilson CD"-Paul McClelland
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2006, 01:45:58 AM »

Farmer's Daughter, Back Home, Country Air, Barnyard, Great Shape.. this is interesting, can anyone think of any others?

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2006, 07:09:15 AM »

The song was co-written by Bob Norberg. I don't know for sure, but I *think* those lyrics are Bob's...

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
SurferGirl7
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2006, 10:05:37 AM »

The '63 version of BH is the best one personally. Now if someone cleaned it up...
Mark H.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2006, 07:30:20 PM »

Al Jardine is originally from Lima, Ohio.  Just south of Toldeo.
Don't Back Down
Smiley Smile Associate

shoo-be-do-ba

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2006, 07:39:25 PM »

The '63 version of BH is the best one personally. Now if someone cleaned it up...

Yeah, I'd love to hear a crystal-clear take of that version.

Moon shines bright, asleep in my bed, like so many people got a big day ahead of me
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx