gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681659 Posts in 27652 Topics by 4085 Members - Latest Member: RZLSommer June 26, 2024, 02:01:40 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: "STILL CRUISIN'" ????  (Read 12846 times)
linusoli
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« on: July 07, 2012, 07:53:40 AM »

Ugh,
why are we pretending to be ok with this piece of crap's repeated inclusion in recent sets, while "This Whole World," "Prayer" and "Marcella" become increasingly scarce?? Let's hope this is just for the heartland USA. There does seem to be a trend in the recent weeks of an increasingly conservative set list, which is disappointing and a little bit depressing.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2012, 08:00:24 AM »

No one is pretending. They play what they want to play. Personally, I could care less. Their set list has been evolving throughout the whole tour and that is fine with me. If you are lucky enough you get to hear what you want, if not, so be it.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
linusoli
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2012, 08:04:06 AM »

Well that's a bit dull...
Come on, let's hear some anger!
baseball95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2012, 08:05:07 AM »

foreget still crusin how about betsy why is that song still around. If they wanto to give scott totten a vocal so bad let him do let him run wild as he did that with the Mike and Bruce band and did a solid job. Sorry but still crusin goes without saying.
Jason
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2012, 08:07:43 AM »

Still Cruisin' has been a live staple for a while. Granted, it's one of the better post-1979 tunes. It cooks in concert.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2012, 08:11:25 AM »

If it was disclosed that Brian Wilson was OK with "Still Cruisin" and "Ballad Of Ole' Betsy", and wasn't comfortable performing the other songs you mentioned, would you feel the same way?
linusoli
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2012, 08:15:48 AM »

If it was disclosed that Brian Wilson was OK with "Still Cruisin" and "Ballad Of Ole' Betsy", and wasn't comfortable performing the other songs you mentioned, would you feel the same way?

Eh, not really. BW's no untouchable deity. These are just shockingly bad song choices, no matter which way you slice it.
Jason
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2012, 08:16:54 AM »

Eh, not really. BW's no untouchable deity. These are just shockingly bad song choices, no matter which way you slice it.

Then don't see the tour if it puts you out so much. Simple solution for an obviously stressful problem.
baseball95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2012, 08:36:45 AM »

AT LEAST THER IS A TOUR TO COMPLAIN ABOUT SONG CHOICES  Grin
Doo Dah
Smiley Smile Associate

One man's troll is another man's freedom fighter.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2012, 08:37:26 AM »

Hopefully when they make it to Red Rock and later Eugene, OR they'll break out the more sophisticated tracks.

SC is 80's cheese. Inoffensive. Meh. Gimme something with soul, not this paint by numbers yawner.

AGD is gone.
AGD is gone.
Heigh ho the derry-o
AGD is gone
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2012, 08:42:08 AM »

I like "Still cruisin'" although of course I'd rather hear "Prayer" "Marcella" and such stuff. It seems that after a while of heavy Brian/Brian's band choices, some of the newer additions (Still cruisin, Getcha back, Come go with me) come from the Mike corner. So maybe This Whole World, Marcella, etc. will be back in the near future. I hope so, because I need to hear Marcella in Berlin in august. That one just has to be there !!  3D  And a little Prayer, This Whole World wouldn't be too shabby either... Still the setlist is very good, who would've thought ?

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2012, 08:47:42 AM »

Then don't see the tour if it puts you out so much. Simple solution for an obviously stressful problem.

Ha Ha Ha Ha!   Right arm, Jase.   Grin

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2012, 08:59:44 AM »

I'd enjoy hearing SC live. Fun tune. Not everything has to be earth shattering beauty.
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2012, 09:32:13 AM »

Some answers here are hilarious!
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2012, 09:44:24 AM »

Some answers here are hilarious!
Well, this was kind of a dumb topic, considering we have discussed this many times in other threads and most here are happy with the tour and satisfied with the ever flowing set lists. Seriously, I couldn't have asked for more than what we have been given. In the studio and on the stage, The Beach Boys are a real band again. Wow, I made them sound like Pinocchio.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
Jason
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2012, 10:19:49 AM »

Well, this was kind of a dumb topic

You've summed up 90% of the posts here as of late.
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2012, 10:48:30 AM »

Watching a couple of clips of "Our Prayer," it seemed to be a momentum-killer.  If they do add it back, it might help if they would go into "H & V" without stopping instead of letting the audience applaud.  As for "This Whole World," I don't think Brian sounds that good on it anymore.  "Marcella," however, does rock, and I wouldn't mind hearing that. "Still Cruisin" is OK and inoffensive.
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2012, 10:56:13 AM »

It's ridiculous that they're playing this song. Ridiculous! It's hard to think of any other band in music history with such impressive, artistic, inventive, exciting songs in their back catalogue, who then treat them with such distain. What's just sold a shitload of copies to raptuous acclaim? SMiLE or Still Cruisin'? Where are the Smile tracks? After all these years, after everything, group politics are still getting in the way....
Jason
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2012, 11:00:03 AM »

Who says it's group politics?
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2012, 11:04:00 AM »

It's ridiculous that they're playing this song. Ridiculous! It's hard to think of any other band in music history with such impressive, artistic, inventive, exciting songs in their back catalogue, who then treat them with such distain. What's just sold a sh*tload of copies to raptuous acclaim? SMiLE or Still Cruisin'? Where are the Smile tracks? After all these years, after everything, group politics are still getting in the way....
It is about what works in a concert setting. I don't think for the average fan that Our Prayer works that well. Btw, the album Still Cruisin' sold very, very well. In number of copies, I am sure it sold more than Smile & TWGMTR combined. I think it went gold pretty fast.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2012, 11:14:17 AM »

It's ridiculous that they're playing this song. Ridiculous! It's hard to think of any other band in music history with such impressive, artistic, inventive, exciting songs in their back catalogue, who then treat them with such distain. What's just sold a sh*tload of copies to raptuous acclaim? SMiLE or Still Cruisin'? Where are the Smile tracks? After all these years, after everything, group politics are still getting in the way....

Wait a fucking second. They play Pet Sounds. They play I Just Wasn't Made for These Times at every show. They play Add Some Music and Heroes and Villains.

This is an amazing setlist, it continues to be so, and it's astonishing that seeming fans are going nuts over the inclusion of one song.

Have you even been to a show? They are astonishing, joyous, and treat every era of the band with respect.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2012, 11:16:20 AM »

It is about what works in a concert setting. I don't think for the average fan that Our Prayer works that well. Btw, the album Still Cruisin' sold very, very well. In number of copies, I am sure it sold more than Smile & TWGMTR combined. I think it went gold pretty fast.

I was at an Our Prayer show. It was at an awkward place in the setlist and the audience seemed confused.

Once Mike works out the placement, I'm sure we'll hear it again.
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2012, 11:32:40 AM »

I guess Mike Love just enjoys playing this song?
i mean, i don't think it's a hit or a loved song among the BB fanbase.
Doo Dah
Smiley Smile Associate

One man's troll is another man's freedom fighter.

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2012, 11:39:38 AM »

I was at an Our Prayer show. It was at an awkward place in the setlist and the audience seemed confused.

Once Mike works out the placement, I'm sure we'll hear it again.

Yup. Right after Duke of Earl. After all, the DUKE has been a mainstay of the setlist for several years...  Smokin

I'll shut up. Let's play nice. Billy, stop teasing your sister.

AGD is gone.
AGD is gone.
Heigh ho the derry-o
AGD is gone
Jason
« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2012, 11:41:50 AM »

Still Cruisin' was played pretty heavily between 1989 and 1993. It came back into the setlists around 2005 or so. So this is not exactly a "new" inclusion.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx