gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680819 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 01:33:25 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Show 47: Red Rocks Amphitheatre - Morrison, CO 7/9/12  (Read 31834 times)
PS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 11, 2012, 05:26:16 PM »

I was in line, right behind you, AlFall, the last one to sign the waiver. The man who is producing the doc, David Levy, is an old high school buddy from Spring Valley, NY,, so I may have a chance to do something about it. He also produced the PBS show.

I was fully prepared for assholes yelling out drunken requests or singing along with quiet songs to show everyone nearby they know the lyrics too (which has ruined the last several concerts I've been to, including Brian's solo gigs), but no one did ---- the pacing of the show was perfect, with a little "art" segment at the beginning of the second set. Brian was so STRONG, singing with inflection and intonation, not just laboring or yelling - Heroes, This Whole World, Add Some, Sail on Sailor, Please Let Me Wonder and Kiss Me Baby rocked my world, and God Only Knows rained on my glasses with tears... There was something for everybody at this one, with hit after hit, great song after great song. I remember all those Beach Boy concerts in the 70's where they would constantly be tuning or jiving between songs, with no sense of pacing. Even Mike's banter was just right, giving a nod to the school where I profess about film (making a joke about "English Professors here tonight from Boulder..."), only hinting at his assumed reactionary attitude toward the People's Republic of Boulder...They also mentioned that this is where Carl lived for many years.

I've never experienced such wall to wall joy -- with no filler -- for 3.5 hours (well, perhaps Bruce of 78...).

I could not ask for anything more from these men.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2012, 05:30:16 PM by PS » Logged
Eireannach
Smiley Smile Associate

bedårar

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 11, 2012, 06:01:10 PM »

Something I noticed was that Brian hit all his falsetto notes on Please Let Me Wonder (except one phrase where he dropped into a lower register).  Jeff doubled him on the notes, but they were definitely in unison.  I welled up hearing them do that song.  Same for I just wasn't made for these times.  I actually did have tears for God Only Knows, and I was totally not expecting to having seen so many clips of the tributes from other shows.  It was truly an emotional night.  That venue is so magical too.  We are really spoiled by it here in Colorado.
Austin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 11, 2012, 06:09:04 PM »

Completely agree with the both of you. What a delightful evening -- maybe Red Rocks just got them inspired that night, but it was one of the best concerts I've ever seen.
PS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 11, 2012, 06:53:20 PM »

Something I noticed was that Brian hit all his falsetto notes on Please Let Me Wonder (except one phrase where he dropped into a lower register).  Jeff doubled him on the notes, but they were definitely in unison.  I welled up hearing them do that song.  Same for I just wasn't made for these times.  I actually did have tears for God Only Knows, and I was totally not expecting to having seen so many clips of the tributes from other shows.  It was truly an emotional night.  That venue is so magical too.  We are really spoiled by it here in Colorado.

Exactly right, Elreannach - Jeff was NOT really needed and was, in fact, sonically redundant during those moments. I was worried because Brian's vocals were (understandably) a bit subdued during the soundcheck of Please Let Me Wonder, but he was completely in the moment of singing (when you watched the video projection, with a front view of Bri, you could see that he was really into it). IJWMFTT was so much stronger than the Pet Sounds Tour version, where he constantly struggled for the notes (not having to sing the lead on every song must surely help). From my vantage point, Brian also looked like he was really playing the piano, very intently and with full concentration, for just about every tune before he picked up the bass. BTW, California Girls was paced just al little bit slower and more deliberate than in the past - it meant something to me again. California Saga and Cotton Fields were great rave-ups and it was tremendous fun to sing along with Al, as his voice just cuts through like no one else I know. I do think the venue clearly inspired all of them to sing with passion and intensity of purpose. I was dreaming of what a Linett 5.1 mix of this show from the board might sound like...

For me, watching the film of Carl in his green rayon jacket singing in the night air brought back so many beautiful memories of the summer nights that I saw him when I was young and deeply in love (with my Caroline, No...), so i was tearing up a little for both of us, as I too suffer from a serious lung condition and think of Carl as someone who knows about the struggle to simply breathe (I needed 02 up there)...and, of course, the bittersweet pathos of Brian being the last Wilson standing. We were asked, in a way, to imagine Carl and Dennis being introduced by Jeff, wondering where their mics would have been placed on the stage, etc.

One further comment:

I am a filmmaker and a Professor of Film Studies (at CU Boulder) and I am usually nauseated by "meaningless montages of empty signifiers" in concert and music video projections, but I thought almost ALL of the projections and graphics were very well done, appropriate to the mood of each song, sometimes revealing (the newly discovered studio footage, as seen on PBS, filmed during the GV sessions, the album covers, the bio snapshots/high school yearbook pix, coupled with the inevtiable generic beach scenes and familiar promos) and, in fact , very tasteful and made by someone who understands sound/image relationships and also cares deeply for the context of the music. Each time I looked at the screen, I was delighted. That NEVER happens...They somehow managed to do everything right on this one.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2012, 02:03:21 PM by PS » Logged
Eireannach
Smiley Smile Associate

bedårar

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 11, 2012, 08:44:44 PM »

Agree about the onscreen visuals.  Funny enough, I was nearly hypnotized by the James Bond-esque silhouetted dancing girls during Do You Wanna Dance.  LOL
PS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 11, 2012, 08:52:52 PM »

Agree about the onscreen visuals.  Funny enough, I was nearly hypnotized by the James Bond-esque silhouetted dancing girls during Do You Wanna Dance.  LOL

As was I...

seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 11, 2012, 09:39:01 PM »

Man I love the unpredictability of this performance. That's an artist at work: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwH596dPht8

During some moments in the 2nd verse he's REALLY getting close to his classic tone
Eireannach
Smiley Smile Associate

bedårar

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 12, 2012, 06:26:46 AM »

As was I...

Right on!  Those were the hypnotic girls I remember.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 12, 2012, 06:34:33 AM »

As was I...

Right on!  Those were the hypnotic girls I remember.

Blimey, they look like rifle butts at first glance…

“We live in divisive times.”
PS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 12, 2012, 01:47:11 PM »

Your truly, very happy, between Brian and Mike, but obviously leaning toward Brian...
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: July 12, 2012, 03:00:18 PM »

Facebook:

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 12, 2012, 03:27:29 PM »

That picture is just dying for a witty caption

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Eireannach
Smiley Smile Associate

bedårar

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 12, 2012, 04:46:02 PM »

"Some of these rocks are older than I am..."
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 12, 2012, 06:52:59 PM »

"The sand people are numerous in this place. Where is that little droid? I hope Obi-Wan shows up soon".

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
Dove Nested Towers
Smiley Smile Associate

Goodnight, Mrs. Calabash, wherever you are!

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 13, 2012, 12:29:18 AM »

"Some of these rocks are older than I am..."

LOL

"The police aren't there to create disorder,
they're there to preserve disorder!" -Mayor
Daly, Chicago 1968
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: July 13, 2012, 12:43:57 PM »

Your truly, very happy, between Brian and Mike, but obviously leaning toward Brian...

I hope those are your friends in that picture and they didn't just shove you in with random guys to save time! This is the first picture I've seen with four people in it.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
PS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 13, 2012, 12:55:25 PM »

A friend since childhood flew in from FLA, another childhood friend from the block flew in from LA (his law firm is partly representing the Tour, hence the VIP access), and I took my young teaching assistant who loves the group.

So yes, it's a group portrait of us. But they did rush us in and out so fast that i didn't really have time to say my thank you's to them, and I regret it now. I mentioned to Brian a mutual friend of ours, hoping for a glint of recognition, but he just said an auto "thank you" and Mike looked puzzled...

My one chance to thank all of them for a lifetime of music...and I blew it. Oh well. They hear it a lot...there is just no way to really do it like you dreamed it.
Wah Wah Wah Ooooo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 13, 2012, 01:04:18 PM »

Facebook:

"My hair really blends in with these rocks"

"I'm in a band. We're called the Beach Boys." ~ Brian Wilson
Eireannach
Smiley Smile Associate

bedårar

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 17, 2012, 06:42:38 PM »

Just remembered that I coughed during the bridge of Wendy.  I don't think anyone around me got it. Sad
the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 17, 2012, 10:14:37 PM »

A friend since childhood flew in from FLA, another childhood friend from the block flew in from LA (his law firm is partly representing the Tour, hence the VIP access), and I took my young teaching assistant who loves the group.

So yes, it's a group portrait of us. But they did rush us in and out so fast that i didn't really have time to say my thank you's to them, and I regret it now. I mentioned to Brian a mutual friend of ours, hoping for a glint of recognition, but he just said an auto "thank you" and Mike looked puzzled...

My one chance to thank all of them for a lifetime of music...and I blew it. Oh well. They hear it a lot...there is just no way to really do it like you dreamed it.

Please be comforted: I think they understood; I'll bet your face showed your heart and gratitude. They knew. Please relieve yourself of the self incrimination.  They knew.
Wild-Honey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 18, 2012, 02:52:45 AM »

Please, PLEASE, let this be the setlist for Perth too... PLEASE!,,,
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx