gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 12:55:44 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Show 46: Grand Canyon University - Phoenix, AZ 7/7/12  (Read 32248 times)
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: July 06, 2012, 11:32:05 PM »

yup
SonoraDick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2012, 06:01:28 AM »

I'll be there for my second and final C50 show.  Don't know anything about the venue as  I think it's fairly new & I've (obviously) never been there. Seems to be, among other things, where Grand Canyon University plays their home basketball games. Might not showcase the best BB sound.
NightHider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2012, 09:03:32 AM »

GCU arena opened in Sept 2011 and seats 5000.  Not sure why they didn't book the Comerica Theatre which is more tailored for music, seats 5500 and has no other event scheduled for today...

We were at the first show in Tucson and now at show 46 much, much closer to home.  Gonna be nice!! 
SonoraDick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2012, 06:36:26 PM »

Brief sound check.  No surprises.  Did several practices of am a Capella portion of Good Timin'
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2012, 07:37:39 PM »

Thanks Sonora for the heads up.  Hope you guys get a good show. 
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2012, 08:07:04 PM »

Thanks Sonora for the heads up.  Hope you guys get a good show. 
Haven't the previous 45 all been good? Wink

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2012, 08:44:49 PM »

Haha true that, good doctor!   Cool
NightHider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2012, 12:46:17 AM »

They really tightened it up since we saw them the first show!!  There were 5 cameras filming for the PBS special according to Mike.  What a treat to see them twice this go around!!

Highlights for me:

*  TWGMTR sounded amazing!!
*  They played 50 songs
*  Darian nails Darlin!!
*  Add Some Music!!
*  California Saga returns with Mike and Brian doing their respective parts!!
*  Revamped /more professional looking videos/pics on the big screen
*  Brian getting distracted by the videos during Sloop John and missing his cue
*  Jeff doing the Marcella walk in his flip flops
*  Running into Melinda, Mrs. Mike Love and Ahmba
*  Speaking briefly with Nelson and Probyn

« Last Edit: July 08, 2012, 12:56:13 AM by NightHider » Logged
briwal
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2012, 01:38:12 AM »

My God...they blew the doors OFF in Phoenix tonight...50 songs...cameras recording everywhere...and the harmonies as tight as I've ever heard them.  Brian was strong and engaged...top notch vocals!  Cheesy
adavidw
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2012, 03:04:04 AM »

Set list:

I too was at the Tucson show, and while that show was great, this one was just that much better. So many things have been added/changed since Tucson. Most of them little, but still makes it worth it to see another show.

Random comments:

Show was scheduled to start at 8:00, but didn't get going until about 8:20. Show ended around 11:30.

There were extra lights rigged to illuminate the audience the whole night for the filming, so it never really got dark. Some songs, the overhead lights were on full blast.

Someone evidently told Brian somewhere along the line that when the camera's on him, he needs to not look like a zombie. I noticed that in all the TV appearances on this tour that there would be times when he would get a closeup, then realize after a few seconds that a camera was there and flash a big smile. Since the cameras were all over the stage tonight, we got lost of those "Oh hey, the cameras on me, I better do something" moments from Brian. The presence of the cameras meant that for all of those who really keep track of how "animated" Brian is at a particular show, this was a pretty up night for him. Lots of smiles, hand gestures, and even looked like he's been working on some choreography for Sail On, Sailor. He really seems to enjoy singing that song.

Marcella seemed to just die. No audience response at all from what I could tell around me. I personally would have rather heard This Whole World again, but I can't say that would have gone over any better with this crowd.

The sound was muddy arena sound. It had been better outdoors in Tucson. Mike seemed like he wasn't speaking very clearly tonight, but I couldn't tell if that's because the sound was muddy or he was just mumbling. He did seem a tad bit more scatterbrained, and it seemed like his timing in his jokes or stories was off a bit.

Nicky Wonder's still MIA.

Bruce seems like he's adding even more electric piano to Disney Girls now than what he did in Tucson. Doesn't sound bad, it's just more prominent than before. And, it's his big solo; If he wants piano noodling before the chorus, he should have it.

Mike said they were doing 50 songs, and then Al mentioned it was the 50th show tonight, that he had counted them up. Of course this thread says 46th, but that's only counting public shows. If you included the Sirius show, the QVC show, the Good Morning America in the park concert, and one more (The Rolling Stone acoustic thing?), you'd get 50. I'll leave it to others to check Al's math there, or figure out which shows he's counting.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2012, 03:06:12 AM by adavidw » Logged
NightHider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2012, 10:21:15 AM »

Yeah, Mike was a little stuttery/mumbling/tired with his banter but he sounded strong on his vocals throughout and sang with a particular vengence on Surfin USA.   Also noticed that when Mike left the stage for Disney Girls, he took his microphone and was singing all of his parts sidestage.   No banjo on California Saga but it was sooo much better with Mike on his lead.  

Lots of the old timers around me had taken advantage of the 10 for $100 cd's and were handing them out to random people in the crowd.

« Last Edit: July 08, 2012, 12:54:57 PM by NightHider » Logged
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2012, 10:32:43 AM »

Lots of the old timers around me had taken advantage of the 10 for $100 cd's and were handing them out to random people in the crowd.
What? 10 CDs for $100? Is that such a "good deal" Air Quotes?
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2012, 10:40:27 AM »

What? 10 CDs for $100? Is that such a "good deal" Air Quotes?

It is 'cuz one of them is autographed!

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2012, 11:07:46 AM »

They really tightened it up since we saw them the first show!!  There were 5 cameras filming for the PBS special according to Mike.  What a treat to see them twice this go around!!

Highlights for me:

*  TWGMTR sounded amazing!!
*  They played 50 songs
*  Darian nails Darlin!!
*  Add Some Music!!
*  California Saga returns with Mike and Brian doing their respective parts!!
*  Revamped /more professional looking videos/pics on the big screen
*  Brian getting distracted by the videos during Sloop John and missing his cue
*  Jeff doing the Marcella walk in his flip flops
*  Running into Melinda, Mrs. Mike Love and Ahmba
*  Speaking briefly with Nelson and Probyn

Thanks for the highlights.  Interesting that Mike is still referring to the PBS special.  Is there another PBS special airing, that I'm forgetting?  The Front Row Center show is currently airing and that's done.  Perhaps Mike is unaware that the filming is unrelated to PBS and it's part of the DVD filming?  I wonder.

Nice to see they added some rarities for you...I can never get enough of "Marcella."

Jackie Love is a lovely lady.  She's a very sweet woman and remembered me at the various shows I saw.  It was very flattering considering it's always nice to be remembered by such an attractive woman!   Grin
« Last Edit: July 08, 2012, 12:23:21 PM by Justin » Logged
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2012, 11:19:57 AM »

I read that there will be a major network special this Fall. They may be filming for that. I think I read NBC, but not sure.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2012, 11:21:26 AM »

The cameras are for a new documentary that's being shot..

You can follow one of the guys behind it on twitter, he's touring with the band and tweets pics from every venue

https://twitter.com/AstrayJ

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2012, 12:05:35 PM »

I read that there will be a major network special this Fall. They may be filming for that. I think I read NBC, but not sure.

Ah yes, that's right.  I welcome all the specials about the band I just hope they don't slap one of these broadcasts on a DVD and call it the live DVD for the tour.  That'd be a cheap shot!  I'm still hoping they film the Royal Albert Hall show for the DVD. 

The cameras are for a new documentary that's being shot..

You can follow one of the guys behind it on twitter, he's touring with the band and tweets pics from every venue

https://twitter.com/AstrayJ

Thanks Slim.  New documentary...interesting.  Throughout the tour they've had a three/four man crew stand outside the venues before and after the shows, filming fan interviews about the band...also for inclusion on this un-named "documentary."  Looks like they've been working on it for a while.  Hope it's a good one.
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2012, 12:09:31 PM »

Mike said they were doing 50 songs, and then Al mentioned it was the 50th show tonight, that he had counted them up. Of course this thread says 46th, but that's only counting public shows. If you included the Sirius show, the QVC show, the Good Morning America in the park concert, and one more (The Rolling Stone acoustic thing?), you'd get 50. I'll leave it to others to check Al's math there, or figure out which shows he's counting.

Yeah I guess technically, Al is right...it's their 50th performance on the tour.  But I've been counting the concerts as public performances in which people have actually paid to see them.  The only performance I would maybe consider to be included would probably be the Good Morning America show since it was well attended, open to the public and free.   
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2012, 12:49:57 PM »

Interesting that Mike sang lead on Cal Saga. Wish someone posts a youtube of this.
His unclear banter may have to do with the fact that he did not meditate long enough.

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2012, 01:12:22 PM »

Facebook:

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Stegibo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2012, 01:26:36 PM »

Interesting that Mike sang lead on Cal Saga. Wish someone posts a youtube of this.
His unclear banter may have to do with the fact that he did not meditate long enough.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cr1F8xVcAFQ&feature=plcp

Are you ready for some Fun Fun Fun?!
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2012, 01:28:10 PM »

Nice...white suit Al is back!
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2012, 01:33:40 PM »

Oh man is that nice.  Nice to see Mike reclaim that verse.  He was a bit unsure with the tune early on so Al took all the parts.  Mike sounds confident here...looks like he did his homework!
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2012, 01:36:47 PM »

Oh man is that nice.  Nice to see Mike reclaim that verse.  He was a bit unsure with the tune early on so Al took all the parts.  Mike sounds confident here...looks like he did his homework!

Now that's what i call a good video! thanks, they sound amazing
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2012, 01:47:30 PM »

Great! Thanks.
It won't be long until fans start complaining that Mike overruled Al into sharing the lead.

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx