gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 08:33:37 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Final Gig: Wembley Arena - London, UK 9/28/12  (Read 102662 times)
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #175 on: September 30, 2012, 02:45:53 PM »

I was amazed at how big of a response Wouldn't It Be nice got

And "someone" once again messed up the words  LOL

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: September 30, 2012, 03:05:38 PM »

btw, thanks for keeping track of all the shows Justin..

It's incredible we have a thread for each show with setlist/pics and vids.

Very cool

It was my pleasure!  I'm definitely going to miss the fun of checking a new show thread and seeing the great reviews and pics from the members on the board.  This was a great summer for all of us!
Daniel
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #177 on: September 30, 2012, 04:34:44 PM »

WOW.

to the Boys and all my great friends - I love you all.

THANK YOU
Rob Dean
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #178 on: September 30, 2012, 05:36:47 PM »

Source: http://www.music-photographer.co.uk/blog/beach-boys-live-wembley-arena/

Andy Partridge and Brian Wilson

The Beach Boys at Wembley Arena, London. September 28, 2012. Last show of the 50th Reunion tour.

Source: http://briandouglaswilson.tumblr.com/

Final bow

Source: http://www.flickr.com/photos/bobwatt/8039168423/

Facebook:

Andy Partridge WOW freaking superb musician/songwriter (and great guy) and not only another hero of mine BUT a fellow (nearly) West County boy ;-)) first met him in 1986 but that's another (long) story 
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: September 30, 2012, 05:56:13 PM »

So glad someone posted those clips, what an amazing show.  They were all in fantastic voice, and it was so wonderful seeing Brian so happy and enthusiastic!  If this does turn out to be the end, you couldn't ask for a better final Beach Boys concert than that.
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #180 on: September 30, 2012, 06:15:55 PM »

So when does Alan Partridge get to meet Brian?
halblaineisgood
« Reply #181 on: September 30, 2012, 07:05:17 PM »

Like Slash with top hat & shades, or Tom Wolfe in a white suit, Mike's tuxedo and classy fitted baseball cap pairing, would make an
excellent permanent uniform choice. Appropriate for all official Beach Boy occasions. It has just the right "I'm Mike Love, so deal with it" vibe.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2012, 08:44:26 PM by halblaineisgood » Logged
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #182 on: September 30, 2012, 07:26:22 PM »

I was amazed at how big of a response Wouldn't It Be nice got

And "someone" once again messed up the words  LOL

Some things never change.  Pretty much all Al on those verses, Jeff comes in on the higher notes but you can hear pretty much all Al and the crowd especially on the 2nd verse. One of the best mixes I've heard so far.
Don Malcolm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #183 on: September 30, 2012, 11:33:16 PM »

Sincere and heartfelt thanks to all of you over in England for the fantastic coverage, all of the clips, and all of the reportage. With any luck this will not be the last go-round for the Beach Boys as they so gallantly assembled for a virtually unprecedented 50th anniversary tour. Despite all the ups and downs over the years--perhaps, in fact, because of them--there's no group with anything close to the longing, lingering associations that are palpable to every fan--young or not so young. Watching the videos and reading the commentaries here is incredibly touching, a reminder that the love radiating from Brian Wilson's music is something truly timeless. Our boys are total pros, and they gave us something to marvel about for years to come, no matter what else happens. They rose to the occasion magnificently. What an amazing conclusion to something most of us never thought could happen at all.

It was literally a dream come true...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYpEDYnd7DU

Thanks again, everyone!
« Last Edit: October 01, 2012, 12:24:23 AM by Don Malcolm » Logged
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #184 on: October 01, 2012, 12:49:08 AM »

Al Jardine - FFF (fluffing first lines for fifty years)!

This was one of those special show moments - it made it even more of a Beach Boys show! :D
« Last Edit: October 01, 2012, 12:50:12 AM by John Manning » Logged

“We live in divisive times.”
Zander
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #185 on: October 01, 2012, 01:02:47 AM »

If an audio recording of this show makes an appearance please could someone point me in the direction of it  Wink

They say I got brains but they ain't doing me no good, I wish they could...
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #186 on: October 01, 2012, 01:29:02 AM »

Those girls literally grabbing Mike's mic from his hand annoyed me to no end.  Angry Awesome show though. Thanks for the links. Wouldn't mind a dvd of it somehow.  Cool

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #187 on: October 01, 2012, 09:56:19 AM »

They're his daughters so I think they get a pass. 
halblaineisgood
« Reply #188 on: October 02, 2012, 11:43:24 AM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vt2RpiuuBpo  PART 12
All This Is That finally clicked for me!

I was in a funk, and the funk was getting deeper. "More Wembley might help" , I said to myself. 

Thank my lucky stars, it helped a great deal!... it really soothed my jangled nerves.  Smiley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #189 on: October 02, 2012, 12:48:58 PM »

Fun Fun Done: Beach Boys Cap Reunion With Epic London Show

http://www.billboard.com/events#/events/fun-fun-done-beach-boys-cap-reunion-with-1007965182.story

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
pmb
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #190 on: October 02, 2012, 02:00:00 PM »

Thanks to all who have posted reviews and thoughts from the show, I was at the RAH gig and it sounds like an equally good night, although glad we got the few extra songs.

From the footage I've seen, Brian looks slightly more on in the Wembley gig than RAH, never seen him smile so much. I think aswell it doesn't look forced, unlike some of the earlier filmed concerts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_sMw4_R8YE&feature=channel&list=UL

In Sail On Sailor in the tour, Brian either finished the song with a low note, or an octave up, in my opinion always sounds better on higher octave. From 3:02 in this, he goes low at first, then decides to go for the higher note and finishes after the rest of the band I think - sounds great anyway!

Phoenix
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #191 on: October 02, 2012, 03:58:18 PM »

I finally got around to watching the youtube footage.  I was under the impression that "Summer's Gone" was the final song but apparently it was played right after TWGMTR.  Is that right?  What about the night before?

Thanks in advance.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #192 on: October 02, 2012, 04:06:18 PM »

yeah, Summer's Gone was the last song the night before but at Wembley it was just a regular part of the set.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Phoenix
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #193 on: October 02, 2012, 04:38:27 PM »

OK.  Thanks!  Now I have one more:

Who took over he organ for Scott on "Surfin' USA"?

Thanks again!
adavidw
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #194 on: October 04, 2012, 01:28:54 PM »

I think it's Tim Bonhomme. He plays keyboards in Mike and Bruce band, and was touring with the reunion as the co-tour manager.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #195 on: October 08, 2012, 04:02:09 PM »

Can anyone confirm that there were cameras at this show as well, filming the concert? And I don't mean in-house monitors

- Jack Rieley
SgtTimBob
Smiley Smile Associate

Music Maker Extrodonaire

View Profile WWW
« Reply #196 on: October 08, 2012, 04:44:18 PM »

I can't recall seeing any camera men up on stage, but then I was very far back but I was on one of the higher tiers and had a good view of the stage. But I could easily have missed them if they were lurking more towards the sides.

Phoenix
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #197 on: October 16, 2012, 01:50:10 AM »

I think it's Tim Bonhomme. He plays keyboards in Mike and Bruce band, and was touring with the reunion as the co-tour manager.

Ah!  That makes sense.  Thanks for the answer.   Smiley
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #198 on: October 24, 2012, 08:29:05 AM »

Nothing much new, but another "I Get Around" video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVvLBp6XmTM
Mark H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #199 on: November 14, 2012, 12:01:16 PM »

Andy Partridge WOW freaking superb musician/songwriter (and great guy) and not only another hero of mine BUT a fellow (nearly) West County boy ;-)) first met him in 1986 but that's another (long) story 

Awesome to see them together in that pic and awesome that you've met Andy Partridge.

Do Tell!
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx