gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680740 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 18, 2024, 07:52:37 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Why Pick Daybreak?  (Read 7465 times)
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2012, 12:44:37 PM »

"Daybreak Over The Ocean" is one of my favorite tracks on the album. It's a tad long, but I like Mike's vocal, the Kokomo-like production, and the excellent ending chorus/tag - one of the highlights of the album for me. Is that Adrian Baker on there? If "Daybreak" had a BW writing credit, the song would be viewed entirely different.

I'm a little confused. I thought I read somewhere that Capitol Records chose the tracks for the album. Of course, that was from an interview with somebody, so take that with a grain of salt.

YES!

My thoughts exactly. A bit long, but beautiful nonetheless. Those harmonies are killer.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
SloopJohnB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: July 05, 2012, 03:33:29 PM »

Are Wirestone and I the only ones to be bothered by the sped-up "chipmunk" Mike in one of this song's last choruses? It's just a copy-paste of one of the previous choruses, but the pitch has been digitally altered. AWFUL. The worst part of the album as far as I'm concerned.

I don't know where, but their music sends me there
Pleasure Island!!!!!!! and a slice of cheese pizza.
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 05, 2012, 03:58:13 PM »

I'm not a Mike lover, but I enjoyed his contributions to the other tracks on the album, even the cheesier ones.  it just wouldn't be the BBs without it, to me.  This track, though, I can't get behind.  It does sound particularly bad (it sounds like it was recorded in a so-so way originally and then subjected to the same murky whammy that the rest of the album has detracting from it, so it's a double dose of audio suck) and the song just goes nowhere to me, even though it's not particularly objectionable on the merits, just dull.  For those reasons, I just can't listen to it.

"Spring Vacation" and "Beaches In Mind" are just fun.  Even the parts that sound totally inappropriate work for me for some reason.  So I ain't hatin' on Mike.  I just don't like this song very much.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 05, 2012, 05:01:53 PM »

"Daybreak Over The Ocean" is one of my favorite tracks on the album. It's a tad long, but I like Mike's vocal, the Kokomo-like production, and the excellent ending chorus/tag - one of the highlights of the album for me. Is that Adrian Baker on there? If "Daybreak" had a BW writing credit, the song would be viewed entirely different.

I'm a little confused. I thought I read somewhere that Capitol Records chose the tracks for the album. Of course, that was from an interview with somebody, so take that with a grain of salt.

They recorded some 30 tracks (including stuff like Bruce's remake of SBiLA), and then Brian and Joe submitted around 17 tracks to Capitol. The company then made the final selection. I also think it's safe to say that if BW really wanted something on the album, it would have been included.
Bud Shaver
Smiley Smile Associate

Let Us Go On This Way

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 05, 2012, 05:03:31 PM »

I like the song.  Every Beach Boys album has to have at least one Mike Love track.  It sort of slithers at the start but finishes with nicely with sweet harmonies.  

I don't have the vinyl version of this album (yet!) but I would assume it would open side 2?  It sits right in the middle of the album and gives the listener a little break from Brian just as his musical journey draws closer to it's conclusion. It's a downer of a song and Beaches in Mind is its manic partner in crime. But what follows is just beautiful and well worth the winding musical road that lead you there.    

Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 05, 2012, 05:14:40 PM »

Kind of surprised Daybreak wasn't on Summer In Paradise, fits the theme he was going for on the album and it would have been one of the strongest cuts, especially with Carl on there.

I'm assuming it wasn't because Mike had it in his pocket for his "future solo release?"

Mike Love Not War is, for me, the SIP that never was. The writing is much stronger, the harmonies fuller, the production more listenable.

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
ohthosegirls
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 05, 2012, 06:36:19 PM »

I would have prefered Wrinkles...  Grin Grin Grin

Wrinkles was already re-done as "Still Surfin'," from SIP!
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #32 on: July 05, 2012, 11:54:43 PM »

'If Daybreak had a BW credit it'd be viewed differently'. Not true for me. Spring Vacation, ...Bill & Sue, Shelter and Beaches In Mind all have Brian credits and i don't remotely rate those either. (The rest of the album however is pretty great).

Sounds to me like maybe you just don't like the album in general.

Really? Because it sounds to me like I don't like those five songs but I think all the rest of the album is great. So that's more than half the album i think is great. Is that 'not liking something in general'?
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: July 06, 2012, 02:48:46 AM »

I think it's funny how many people haven't heard Mike's solo album. I listened to that all the time when it first "came out".

What's really annoying to me is that Mike's version ends with the accordion holding out for a little while longer and then it hits the last chord one more time... and I'll never get used to the TWGMTR version not ending that way.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: July 06, 2012, 01:05:32 PM »

the excellent ending chorus/tag - one of the highlights of the album for me. Is that Adrian Baker on there?

I thought someone said it was Christian Love? dont care much for the song as a whole but the end tag is really beautiful.

Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 06, 2012, 01:06:24 PM »

I think it's funny how many people haven't heard Mike's solo album. I listened to that all the time when it first "came out".
Some people aren't lucky as you to find and listen to Mike's mentioned solo album. Not mentioning all the time.

It's floating about the interwebs. Not hard at all to locate.
MBE
« Reply #36 on: July 06, 2012, 02:01:55 PM »

The 2005 Too Cruel is great. Dave could have replaced Christian easy.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: July 06, 2012, 02:16:00 PM »

I like "Daybreak" very much (would love to hear the 70s version !) and I'm happy it got on TWGMTR instead of a new "Brian's back" or something along those lines. But I'd be even happier if they would've recorded it from scratch. Al's new vocal is killer. It takes the song to a whole new level, fantastic.

I agree. After having heard David singing "Getcha back" it's obvious that his and Christian's voices are very similar in style. And that's why I would've opted for a re-recording by the Beach Boys of "Daybreak" as mentioned above. It's nothing against Christian or the original recording (that was used) but I'd rather hear only the Beach Boys, plus Foskett.
The song shows Mike's strong side. I came to the conclusion that it's not Mike's lyrical abilities that made his contributions to the band so important. It's much more his hooks. And this song has a great one.

That said, I still don't know if David sings on the album at all.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
MBE
« Reply #38 on: July 06, 2012, 03:46:16 PM »

I like "Daybreak" very much (would love to hear the 70s version !) and I'm happy it got on TWGMTR instead of a new "Brian's back" or something along those lines. But I'd be even happier if they would've recorded it from scratch. Al's new vocal is killer. It takes the song to a whole new level, fantastic.

I agree. After having heard David singing "Getcha back" it's obvious that his and Christian's voices are very similar in style. And that's why I would've opted for a re-recording by the Beach Boys of "Daybreak" as mentioned above. It's nothing against Christian or the original recording (that was used) but I'd rather hear only the Beach Boys, plus Foskett.
The song shows Mike's strong side. I came to the conclusion that it's not Mike's lyrical abilities that made his contributions to the band so important. It's much more his hooks. And this song has a great one.

That said, I still don't know if David sings on the album at all.
Yeah he should have had one lead at least.
mabewa
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 07, 2012, 12:33:28 AM »

I like the song pretty well.  It's got pretty much a whole harmony choir going on it, what with Mike and three other singers, plus the 3 other BBs and Foskett.  The production does clash with the rest of the album, but overall it's pretty nice.  Not one of the better songs on the album, but not one of the weakest ones, either. 
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 07, 2012, 03:44:38 AM »

It was re-recorded during the sessions for the Mike Love Not War solo album of 2005-ish, not for the new album.

That i did not know. So actually Mike genuinely couldn't be bothered then...

It would have been less lazy to re-use a 70s recording than applying overdubs to a recording that dates back a few years? Weren't some parts of the rest of the album recorded in 1998, anyway?

Also, asjifhasufhsa edut neverind d000d0d0d00d0
« Last Edit: July 07, 2012, 04:05:18 AM by runnersdialzero » Logged

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: July 07, 2012, 05:34:33 AM »

Weren't some parts of the rest of the album recorded in 1998, anyway?

I don't think they were actually recorded but demoed in the late 90s

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 07, 2012, 07:00:49 AM »

Weren't some parts of the rest of the album recorded in 1998, anyway?

I don't think they were actually recorded but demoed in the late 90s

Ah, I wasn't certain. I had thought some had been started in 1998 in terms of recordings.

Still, I don't see Mike bringing an older song/recording on board as lazy, especially if a lot of other songs date back to 1998, recorded or not. Same would've gone for Al's "Waves Of Love", etc.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 11, 2012, 05:48:27 PM »

Regardless how many may feel about it, Brian seemed to have been really impressed with the tune.  The new "Old Friends together" video they put up last week, shows Brian really happy when he listened to "Daybreak" with Mike for the first time. 

I think, again like always this is just my impression of it.... I think when they started talking about make an album, one of the things going on was none of them knew if they would get along, so they were looking for ways to make things easy for Brian.  So Mike lets it be known that he's got all kinds of songs in the can, they could just overdub lyrics, etc....

Eventually Brian and co. wrote enough new stuff to make almost everything original, but for one reason or another Brian either liked "Daybreak" a lot, or liked the idea of releasing a song Mike had already pretty much finished, so Mike would have more stuff on the album. 

i'm not an expert on unreleased Love songs, but I'm sure he would have wrote some more stuff if asked, and I'm sure he has better unreleased stuff.  Maybe it was on the first draft of the album back when they only had three or four songs recorded, and for whatever reason just hung around because Brian likes the "Bring Back.... Bring Back, my BABBBYYYY" part which is very Brianlike even though he had nothing to do with it. 
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx