gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 01:24:11 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Which do you prefer?
MIU - 44 (41.1%)
LA (Light Album) - 63 (58.9%)
Total Voters: 99

Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Twofer polls #1: MIU vs LA  (Read 22862 times)
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 05, 2012, 06:54:17 AM »

Al is also quite keen on plagiarism.

This is a list of Al's "borrowing" that I made a couple of years ago in another topic, with a few additions by other posters:
* At My Window: Raspberries, Strawberries (Kingston Trio)
* California Saga/Beaks Of Eagles: poem by Robinson Jeffers
* California Saga/California: California Girls
* Christmas Time Is Here Again: Peggy Sue (Buddy Holly)
* Kona Coast: Hawaii
* Lady Lynda: Jesu, Joy Of Man's Desiring (Bach)
* California Calling: Surfin' USA
* Island Girl: Whispering Bells (Del-Vikings), Everyday (Buddy Holly)
* PT Cruiser: Shut Down, Little GTO (Ronny & The Daytonas)
* Lookin' At Tomorrow: The Wanderer (Kingston Trio)
* Postcard From California: Rhinestone Cowboy (Glen Campbell)
Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #51 on: July 05, 2012, 07:52:17 AM »

He's also good at finishing Brian's leftovers like Sail Plane Song (Loop De Loop) and his attempt at reviving the discardded "Back Home" and reworking it into something new.
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 05, 2012, 09:16:52 AM »

Brian Wilson isn't even on L.A. (Light Album)
Bingo.  I love LA...but that pretty much sums it up.  MIU!!!

M.I.U. ...is more consistently enjoyable.
Absolutely.  MIU is more varied, more fun and much, much closer to Love You in terms of it's interesting-ness.  I have to be more in the mood for LA... again, I love it too.

M.I.U. isn't boring and I don't think any songs are bad. There's a lot of Brian, and, after Love You, his M.I.U. vocals were a welcome surprise. Dennis got his obligatory lead vocal; should have more Carl though. And it should have "Our Team"....
Well said.  MIU just feels more like a "Beach Boy" album than LA does.

Actually, LA would have benefited from being a double album.  Eh?  More room to stretch out.  More tunes would have lent more weight and substance befitting of it's glossy, chill and laid back production.  It could have been a new direction for the band!!  A little more sophisticated and polished.  Just like how Sail On, Sailor hinted at a more sophisticated, polished and mature Beach Boys in the early 70s, that sadly never blossomed (all that wasted time and money in Holland!!!)

Like Sail On, Sailor/Holland -- once again, there wasn't enough material to support the LA-era and everything just collapsed.  LA was a patch work if there ever was one (as the cover art suggests).  And with Keepin' the Summer Alive it was more of the same (a lot more and far worse) with even less new material than LA.  Even though Denny and Carl are largely MIA on MIU -- it's kind of the last of the original Beach Boy albums -- with Brian and without all the "outside assistance."

MIU

Exapno Mapcase
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 05, 2012, 11:27:41 AM »

LA. Of course.

Honk! Honk!
Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #54 on: July 05, 2012, 11:33:49 AM »

LA. Of course.

Fishy fatwā on you!
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #55 on: July 05, 2012, 11:55:06 AM »

I cannot believe anyone is even suggesting Al is a better songwriter than Dennis. MIU fans no doubt... (Shakes head, plays River Song, all is well and right with the world)
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 05, 2012, 11:55:27 AM »

Many of the comments on this thread point out how MIU and L.A. (Light Album) are completely different - and they are. However, interestingly, if you combine the two albums, they actually complement each other well. Maybe that's because one album (MIU) was very Brian/no Car & Dennis, and the other (L.A.) was very Carl & Dennis/no Brian. Yes, I'm at it again, combining albums. I can't help it. But, take a listen to this combination; it works well I think, especially lyrically:

The Beach Boys - M.I.U.L.A.

THE OLDIES:
1. Come Go With Me
2. Peggy Sue

GOIN' OUT DANCIN' TONIGHT:
3. Wontcha Come Out Tonight (to go disco dancing...)
4. Here Comes The Night
5. She's Got Rhythm (last night I went out disco dancing...)

THE BABY SUITE:
6. Baby Blue
7. Shortenin' Bread
8. Hey Little Tomboy

A CELEBRATION OF BEING TOGETHER:
9. Sweet Sunday Kinda Love
10. Good Timin'
11. Belles Of Paris
12. Pitter Patter

THINGS GOING WRONG, GETTING AWAY:
13. Love Surrounds Me
14. Matchpoint Of Our Love
15. My Diane
16. Goin' South
17. Kona Coast
18. Full Sail
19. Sumahama

COME HOME AND MARRY ME:
20. Angel Come Home
21. Lady Lynda
22. Winds Of Change
23. Our Team (optional)
« Last Edit: July 06, 2012, 10:17:37 AM by Sheriff John Stone » Logged
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 05, 2012, 11:56:19 AM »

Brian Wilson isn't even on L.A. (Light Album)

Brian Wilson at this time was absolutely no guarantee of quality.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
MBE
« Reply #58 on: July 05, 2012, 08:05:25 PM »

MIU for me because I can play it all the way through casually without cringing except once (Belles). LA has some much better work on it but HCTN is so long that it throws off the whole LP.
JT PDX
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 05, 2012, 09:16:01 PM »

I can't stop laughing at this!
THE BABY SUITE:
6. Baby Blue
7. Shortenin' Bread
8. Hey Little Tomboy
I had to grit my teeth and vote for MIU. LA is technically "better" but there are too many lows and boring parts. (I'm looking at you, Carl). I put on MIU way more often than LA because it is more consistently enjoyable. The dearth of Dennis on MIU is made up for by Brian's presence and their awesome team-up "My Diane" my favorite song on the TWOFER. Then again, LA is a way more mature album that doesn't have the Boys acting awkwardly like adolescents... I also prefer the production on MIU, it has a funky, cheesy '70s quality that is way more gratifying to me then the LA slickness foretelling the '80s. This would probably be the most difficult TWOFER poll for me to decide on.

Also, Sumahama rules!
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: July 05, 2012, 11:08:37 PM »

Confession time: I don't really care for My Diane. As far as late 70s Dennis leads on songs penned by his brothers, I'll take Angel Come Home any day. My Diane seems tossed off-- like Brian could've written it in his sleep-- and it drags. With that song out of the running, I will put on Pitter Patter on my two-fer (God I love that song! Really sounds like early 70s BBs) and skip through to Good Timin afterward.
Yeah, I don't really understand the love here for My Diane. I suspect the love is just because it's the only obvious Dennis vocal on MIU. I'll take Angel Come Home anyday over My Diane. LA is really a fine album, if you omit Here Comes the Night. My revised lineup for LA would cut HCTN down to 3 or 4 minutes (the single version), and add It's a Beautiful Day.
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 06, 2012, 08:11:14 AM »

Many of the comments on this thread point out how MIU and L.A. (Light Album) are completely different - and they are. However, interestingly, if you combine the two albums, they actually complement each other well. Maybe that's because one album (MIU) was very Brian/no Car & Dennis, and the other (L.A.) was very Carl & Dennis/no Brian. Yes, I'm at it again, combining albums. I can't help it. But, take a listen to this combination; it works well I think, especially lyrically:

THE OLDIES:
1. Come Go With Me
2. Peggy Sue

4. Here Comes The Night

THE BABY SUITE:
6. Baby Blue
7. Shortenin' Bread
8. Hey Little Tomboy

10. Good Timin'
11. Belles Of Paris
12. Pitter Patter

13. Love Surrounds Me
15. My Diane
16. Goin' South
17. Kona Coast
18. Sumahama

COME HOME AND MARRY ME:
19. Angel Come Home
20. Lady Lynda
21. Winds Of Change
22. Our Team (optional)

Dude, that's good.  I'ma gonna havta try that!!

Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 06, 2012, 08:15:22 AM »

Yeah, I don't really understand the love here for My Diane. I suspect the love is just because it's the only obvious Dennis vocal on MIU. I'll take Angel Come Home anyday over My Diane.
My Diane is classic.  Dennis' vocal is welcome and nicely done...but the song is powerful. 

"Everything is WRONG and nuthin is RIGHT."

The dissonance in the harmony on both WRONG and RIGHT are achingly beautiful.  Kind of the whole point to the Beach Boys and Brian Wilson.  You need to rethink this!!   Shocked

Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 06, 2012, 08:28:39 AM »

...one more point I wanted to make about LA -- of all the Beach Boys albums, LA has grown on me the most.  It's crept up on me more than any other Beach Boy album, I think.  It went from shrug to hug (gosh that's a lame rhyme) more than any other BB album.

I still vote MIU...but just wanted to make that point.  Lastly I like Carl's snoozy LA songs (Full Sail and Goin South) more than Dennis' songs.  Ideally Dennis' songs belong on his solo album -- they're more "deep" or tortured.  I would have LOVED to have had a whole album of Carl's "Yacht Rock" LA stuff.  Sounds soooo good!!!

"Fuuuuuuulll Saaaaaaail!!!!"

Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 06, 2012, 10:19:06 AM »

THE OLDIES:
1. Come Go With Me
2. Peggy Sue

4. Here Comes The Night

THE BABY SUITE:
6. Baby Blue
7. Shortenin' Bread
8. Hey Little Tomboy

10. Good Timin'
11. Belles Of Paris
12. Pitter Patter

13. Love Surrounds Me
15. My Diane
16. Goin' South
17. Kona Coast
18. Full Sail
19. Sumahama

COME HOME AND MARRY ME:
20. Angel Come Home
21. Lady Lynda
22. Winds Of Change
23. Our Team (optional)

Dude, that's good.  I'ma gonna havta try that!!

Thanks, Bean Bag!
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 06, 2012, 12:27:44 PM »

...one more point I wanted to make about LA -- of all the Beach Boys albums, LA has grown on me the most.  It's crept up on me more than any other Beach Boy album, I think.  It went from shrug to hug (gosh that's a lame rhyme) more than any other BB album.

I still vote MIU...but just wanted to make that point.  Lastly I like Carl's snoozy LA songs (Full Sail and Goin South) more than Dennis' songs.  Ideally Dennis' songs belong on his solo album -- they're more "deep" or tortured.  I would have LOVED to have had a whole album of Carl's "Yacht Rock" LA stuff.  Sounds soooo good!!!

"Fuuuuuuulll Saaaaaaail!!!!"
Full Sail is a beauty, and I love pretty much everything Carl wrote or sang. Can't say I prefer his LA songs over Dennis', love both, but I do think Carl's songs are generally underappreciated.
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #66 on: July 06, 2012, 02:11:02 PM »

Yeah, I don't really understand the love here for My Diane. I suspect the love is just because it's the only obvious Dennis vocal on MIU. I'll take Angel Come Home anyday over My Diane.
My Diane is classic.  Dennis' vocal is welcome and nicely done...but the song is powerful. 

"Everything is WRONG and nuthin is RIGHT."

The dissonance in the harmony on both WRONG and RIGHT are achingly beautiful.  Kind of the whole point to the Beach Boys and Brian Wilson.  You need to rethink this!!   Shocked

Absolutely agree with the above. It's the only genuinely great song on MIU. I also love the 'IIIIIII Love You Diane, IIIIIII Miss You Diane' section in the middle - the highlight of the entire album.
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 09, 2012, 03:31:59 AM »

Well, looks like LA is the victor here, although not by a landslide. I'd say this may be the most contentious of the twofers but we shall see ...

I'll leave the poll open if anyone still wants to vote.

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
TV Forces
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 09, 2012, 08:53:09 PM »

Both albums make me sad, but no release with "Hey Little Tomboy" is acceptable.
bluesno1fann
« Reply #69 on: February 08, 2014, 02:17:41 AM »

L.A. Light Album, Hands Down!

Love Surrounds Me, Baby Blue, Angel Come Home, Lady Lynda, Good Timin', all BB's classics!

Though L.A. did spawn one of the BB's nadir's, Sumahama...
chrs_mrgn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 08, 2014, 09:14:02 AM »

MIU because She's Got Rhythm and Matchpoint
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx