gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680828 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 04:59:15 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: "Infidels"  (Read 16798 times)
b.dfzo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: December 28, 2005, 05:33:59 PM »

Slowly getting into this Dylan album.  Favorite tracks so far: "Neighborhood Bully" and "License To Kill", in spite of his belief that man has actually landed on the moon...still, good tune.  Wasn't "Blind Willie McTell" supposed to appear on Infidels?
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2005, 05:36:43 PM »

Yes, McTell and Foot Of Pride were recorded for this album, two of Dylan's greatest songs. This was definitely one of the worst-chosen track selections in Dylan history, no mean feat. It's a good LP, but suffers due to bad 80's sound and a few weak tunes. But it's a frickin' masterpiece in comparison to the next few he put out.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
b.dfzo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2005, 05:40:30 PM »

Yes, McTell and Foot Of Pride were recorded for this album, two of Dylan's greatest songs. This was definitely one of the worst-chosen track selections in Dylan history, no mean feat. It's a good LP, but suffers due to bad 80's sound and a few weak tunes. But it's a frickin' masterpiece in comparison to the next few he put out.

Wasn't Mark Knopfler supposed to do the final mix, but was on tour at the time, so Dylan had some engineer do a rough mix, which ended up as the final mix?  That would make sense.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2005, 05:47:20 PM »

Well, I'm no Knopfler fan either. To me it sounds like a Straits record.

b.dfzo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2005, 05:53:02 PM »

Well, I'm no Knopfler fan either. To me it sounds like a Straits record.

I think Mark Knopfler was the producer of the "Infidels" sessions; for sure, he played guitar.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2005, 05:54:48 PM »

Yes, he did indeed produce, unfortunately.  Cry

b.dfzo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2005, 05:58:55 PM »

Yes, he did indeed produce, unfortunately.  Cry

I like the sound on "Neighborhood Bully".  IMO.
Jason
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2005, 05:59:59 PM »

See Ian, this is where we have to disagree. I don't like a single record Dylan did in the 80s. Not even Infidels. The 90s are barely preferred over this horrible decade, if only for Time Out Of Mind.

Give me Dylan from 1963-76 and then we'll talk.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2005, 06:03:54 PM by Jason » Logged
b.dfzo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2005, 06:04:15 PM »

See Ian, this is where we have to disagree. I don't like a single record Dylan did in the 80s. Not even Infidels. The 90s are barely preferred over this horrible decade, if only for Time Out Of Mind.

Give me Dylan from 1963-73 and then we'll talk.

Wha...?  No "Blood On The Tracks", "Desire", "Street Legal", "Slow Train Coming", etc.Huh
Jason
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2005, 06:06:42 PM »

I edited my post. Nope, no Street Legal or Slow Train Coming here. Absolutely not. Danger, Will Robinson! Danger! Step away from the sh*t! There is nothing to see here!
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2005, 06:13:49 PM »

I dislike the '80s Dylan stuff, too. Of course, I actually don't like much Dylan after the late '60s up until Love & Theft, which I LOVE, and rank among his top 5-10 discs ever.

(Yes, I do like Blood on the Tracks, and yes, I do know it was released in the aforementioned dry period. That's why I said "much." But, just to piss someone or another off, I do hate Desire.)

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
b.dfzo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2005, 06:14:42 PM »

I edited my post. Nope, no Street Legal or Slow Train Coming here. Absolutely not.

You're crazy.  If Street Legal or Slow Train had been released as the debut album(s) for any other artist, meaning without the stigma of Dylan's earlier work, they would get the respect they each deserve.  What is so bad, to you, about these two albums, independent of Dylan?
b.dfzo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2005, 06:16:36 PM »

I dislike the '80s Dylan stuff, too. Of course, I actually don't like much Dylan after the late '60s up until Love & Theft, which I LOVE, and rank among his top 5-10 discs ever.

(Yes, I do like Blood on the Tracks, and yes, I do know it was released in the aforementioned dry period. That's why I said "much." But, just to piss someone or another off, I do hate Desire.)

Hate is such a strong word!  I know a stronger one; I love "Desire"!
Jason
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2005, 06:19:46 PM »

Street Legal has (shudder) a fodaing HORN SECTION. Sounds like Zimm is trying to be a bit adult contemporary. He does pull it together with Baby Stop Crying. Slow Train Coming was the beginning of the end of the Bob Dylan I always loved (I went through his catalog album by album). I'm not a prejudicial person, but I preferred Bob Dylan as a Jewish man. Slow Train Coming was the first of his three Christian albums and while it's the best of the three, it's hardly exemplary. Sounded like Dylan needed more than faith to save his career after what must have been unanimous disapproval for these albums.

Infidels and Empire Burlesque were steps in the right direction, but they too, mostly stank. Do I really need to mention his late 80s albums?
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2005, 06:20:00 PM »

I don't know if either is a stronger word, necessarily. Maybe you should have tried something like "I super-love Desire!" You know...just to be sure.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

b.dfzo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2005, 06:23:24 PM »

I don't know if either is a stronger word, necessarily. Maybe you should have tried something like "I super-love Desire!" You know...just to be sure.

I don't know...I think "love" IS stronger than "hate"...can I get a witness?
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2005, 06:45:09 PM »

I witness. And all you said is totally correct.

b.dfzo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2005, 06:47:13 PM »

Street Legal has (shudder) a fodaing HORN SECTION. Sounds like Zimm is trying to be a bit adult contemporary. He does pull it together with Baby Stop Crying. Slow Train Coming was the beginning of the end of the Bob Dylan I always loved (I went through his catalog album by album). I'm not a prejudicial person, but I preferred Bob Dylan as a Jewish man. Slow Train Coming was the first of his three Christian albums and while it's the best of the three, it's hardly exemplary. Sounded like Dylan needed more than faith to save his career after what must have been unanimous disapproval for these albums.

Infidels and Empire Burlesque were steps in the right direction, but they too, mostly stank. Do I really need to mention his late 80s albums?

Something tells me that you also don't like 70's era Elvis...
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2005, 06:48:03 PM »

Let's not talk Elvis here, please.

b.dfzo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2005, 06:52:13 PM »

Let's not talk Elvis here, please.

...Wwwwwwhy?  He was the king!  ...And he, like Dylan, was as singular a rock star as one could get in his prime.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2005, 06:55:16 PM by idigworms » Logged
Jeff Mason
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2005, 06:58:10 PM »

Infidels is nice but not exceptional.  And I adore Slow Train, but then I agree with its message which helps.  I can tell you that in Christian music circles, it is considered one of the greatest albums of that type of music ever and is held in high regard.

Late 80's -- I *love* Oh Mercy.  Sorry if you all don't.  That whole vibe is eerie but right.  Great album.  I agree that the time between that and Infidels stunk as did most of the stuff from Oh Mercy to Time Out of Mind.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2005, 06:59:37 PM »

I know. I am the biggest E fan on the planet. I just don't want it to get off the Dylan thing.
Yes, Dylan sucked a bit in the 80's, but everyone did. McCartney, Neil Young, Lou, everyone. He also did some of his best work in the 80's.
McTell, Every Grain of Sand etc.

And Oh Mercy is wonderful. Deal with it.

b.dfzo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 28, 2005, 07:02:25 PM »

I agree with youse guys: Oh Mercy is the bomb.

And also true: Everything IS broken.

And another thing: I like Neighborhood Bully independent of whatever/whoever people say is the intended protagonist.  Great lyrics:

The neighborhood bully been driven out of every land,
He's wandered the earth an exiled man.
Seen his family scattered, his people hounded and torn,
He's always on trial for just being born.
He's the neighborhood bully.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2005, 07:07:57 PM by idigworms » Logged
Jason
« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2005, 07:23:10 PM »

Something tells me that you also don't like 70's era Elvis...

Some.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 28, 2005, 07:40:11 PM »

I don't know...I think "love" IS stronger than "hate"...can I get a witness?

Stronger concept doesn't make stronger word.

gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx