gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 12:04:43 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: 06/02/87: Marriot Marquis Ballroom  (Read 2762 times)
Occasional grilled cheese
Smiley Smile Associate

Quickly Duncan, the strengths!

View Profile WWW
« on: January 27, 2021, 06:40:18 AM »

DCA's Club IRMA
presents
The Beach Boys

Tuesday
June 2, 1987

Marriott Marquis Ballroom

I picked up the [amazing] Stebbins/Rusten In Concert book after finding this unused ticket and noticed my edition doesn't list this show. Was this show cancelled? Perhaps an unadvertised private gig? I'm familiar with boardwalk style knock-off memorabilia where the show is fictitious or a KTSA-era picture is featured for a show from the 60's, but this ticket doesn't stick out as something you'd find at the OCNJ Surf Mall.

Anyone have thoughts or recollections of this event?
« Last Edit: January 28, 2021, 06:48:38 AM by Occasional grilled cheese » Logged

Try Q-Z-2-U-H
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2021, 08:19:33 AM »

Best to message Ian, I guess. He found a couple of "new" shows after his book was published, so there's a possibility that this one was also unknown to him at the time.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2021, 06:50:37 AM »

What city is this ticket for?
Occasional grilled cheese
Smiley Smile Associate

Quickly Duncan, the strengths!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2021, 07:28:55 AM »

What city is this ticket for?

Mystery solved: Just checked the Bellagio reference again (which probably should've been my second resort after the coffee table book). Looks like a private corporate event at the Atlanta Georgia Marriott Marquis Ballroom. Until I thought to also look there I couldn't tell if it was Atlanta, NYC, or DC.

I really like the themed background on this ticket. Much more fitting the band than the average Ticketron fare.

Try Q-Z-2-U-H
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2021, 09:28:07 AM »

Definitely a private gig, then. If it had been a public show, I would have been there.
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2021, 09:51:29 AM »

Yes I saw that Atlanta show....We list it at http://bellagio10452.com/gigs87.html  which of course I have helped to compile for many, many years now.   That site is constantly being updated by me-whenever I find a new show or someone passes on some new info-so it is very up to date with latest research.  My own site is only up to 1967 (if you click on 1967 I have just started in on it) but Bellagio is up to date (though bellagio does not have reviews or photos, etc).  So if you look at Bellagio you will see, for example, all the 1987 shows that I know of.  As the years go by we are pretty complete...I think we list almost every show played after 1964.  The 1962-64 period is still a work in progress, as we occasionally learn something new when another paper is digitized or an old poster or flyer comes up for sale...I've found about five or six new shows from the 1962-63 period in the last year alone-that even Jim Murphy missed in his great book
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx