gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680770 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 23, 2024, 09:09:13 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Ol' Man River - Cover  (Read 2096 times)
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: July 07, 2012, 04:05:13 AM »

Hey everyone, hope your weekend is off to a great start

So, I'm in the process of working on a few original projects right now. One of them being a retro 60's / 70's soul type of thing

This is one record I cut during the bulk of these paticular sessions. I got turned onto the song through The Beach Boys' version(s), but ended up discovering all of the different versions done throughout the years. Since then I've become somewhat obsessed.

http://soundcloud.com/smile-a-d/ol-man-river

I'd love to know your thoughts. Flubbed lyrics aside, I'm curious if something like this (along with 90% originals with somewhat similar production) is something you'd support on iTunes and or in concert with a kick ass band. I know I might be reaching with that question without providing any originals yet, but I will post some soon once I finalize the recordings.

anyways.. Thanks for your time!

« Last Edit: July 07, 2012, 04:06:34 AM by seltaeb1012002 » Logged
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2012, 01:20:03 PM »

I like it, kind of reminds me of Bobby Darrin.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2012, 05:25:02 PM »

I like it too. Hints of Sam Cooke and Dion in the delivery too. There's a Michael Buble element too.
Love the arrangement.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2012, 06:06:03 PM »

I like it too. Hints of Sam Cooke and Dion in the delivery too. There's a Michael Buble element too.
Love the arrangement.

I appreciate the comments fellas. Real interesting comparisons there I didn't even think about. Love Dion and Bobby Darin.

Funny thing about this recording, I actually did the vocal first (that's why there's some snaps that aren't in time) then did the track, and synced up the vocal afterwards.

BTW, The original songs from this batch are a little more soul / motown / early 60's british invasion type stuff. It's hard to put a label on it. Oldies / Retro would probably be the best way to put it, I guess lol.

anyway.. 'preciate the feed bros!
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2012, 06:45:36 PM »

I flipping love this! The horns in the background = Thumbs Up

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2012, 02:13:57 AM »

Yeah, I got a strong swing vibe from it too - which is good! Your voice really works with that.

And the horns, as my esteemed colleague Rab said, are brill.

Would so be interested in more of this sort of thing!

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2012, 07:47:41 AM »

Thanks Hype & Rab! 'preciate the love!
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2012, 11:02:30 AM »

Love the arrangement.

I appreciate the comments fellas. Real interesting comparisons there I didn't even think about. Love Dion and Bobby Darin.

Funny thing about this recording, I actually did the vocal first (that's why there's some snaps that aren't in time) then did the track, and synced up the vocal afterwards.

BTW, The original songs from this batch are a little more soul / motown / early 60's british invasion type stuff. It's hard to put a label on it. Oldies / Retro would probably be the best way to put it, I guess lol.

anyway.. 'preciate the feed bros!

From that description, I would love to hear your original songs!

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
kwan_dk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2012, 11:40:43 AM »

Based on the top production value and your great vocal here I would definately be willing to purchase your own songs.  Smiley I'm a sucker for soul & motown and your voice really seems suited for this type of music. It's something that I personally hadn't noticed when listening to the other covers you've posted but I guess that's because they're Beach Boys songs.

You really are an awesome singer! And I hope you'll proceed with this project as you obviously have too much talent to just continue covering the Beach Boys (which you are superb at, I should be quick to add...)

The only criticism I have of this version of Old Man River would be that the tempo makes it sound a bit too old-fashioned for my taste. Like someone else has noted I was also reminded of some of Sam Cooke's funkier tracks. Personally, my favourite versions are the BB one and the more mellow take by Jim Croce so that probably obscures my view. But other than that, you really nail it. I'm really impressed by the professional sound you get on your recordings. Do you record / play music for a living?

gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx