gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680783 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 23, 2024, 11:20:51 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Which is the best sounding MONO Pet Sounds?  (Read 11182 times)
petsite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2012, 02:27:31 PM »

I have a copy of the 72 CATPST/PET SOUNDS on Brother-Reprise that is unopened. I bought it back in 75 (yes I am that old). I need to find a decent transfer setup. I have one, but not as good as I would like. Back in the '80s, I kept forgetting to bring it to the radio station I worked at to transfer to reel to reel at 7.5 ips. The station had old mono tube mixing boards and amps. They were well maintained. Shoulda woulda coulda.

Bob
« Last Edit: July 01, 2012, 02:30:25 PM by petsite » Logged
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2012, 02:27:50 PM »

I rarely listen to it in mono (the stereo is the way to go with Pet Sounds, I don't care what people say, Brian's ear etc).....but I picked up the Pet Sounds/CATP 2LP thing recently and it does sound pretty fresh there.

I think the 1990/2001 issues sounds grungy.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2012, 02:38:14 PM »

I rarely listen to it in mono (the stereo is the way to go with Pet Sounds, I don't care what people say, Brian's ear etc).....but I picked up the Pet Sounds/CATP 2LP thing recently and it does sound pretty fresh there.

I don't care.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
sea of tunes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 01, 2012, 03:50:25 PM »

I love the first issue of it on CD in 1990 followed closely of course by the 2001 version.

The 1990 was the first time I ever heard it and I loved it for a number of years.  Until realizing some of the things that had been done to it (heavy use of No-Noise, re-mixing of intro's for WIBN and GOK tacked on).  Once you hear "Pet Sounds" without all of that it sounds much more natural on other releases (1996, 1999, 2001 & DCC/AF).

Husband. Father. Quadragenarian.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: July 01, 2012, 04:13:55 PM »

I don't care.

And what makes your opinion have any worth? Go home.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 02, 2012, 03:27:29 PM »

For me, the besteses is the vinyl Pet Sounds that came in the 2LP set with Carl & The Passions, and Pet Sounds '74 with the brown cover (This recording is pressed in monophonic sound, the way Brian cut it).  Also like the 1989 T-2458 Japanese Pet Sounds CD and the Japanese PastMasters version ain't bad either - nice and raw. The 1990 U.S. released version is also tough to beat.

BUT. My favorite by a country mile? The stereo version of Pet Sounds. Either from the Sessions box or 40th Anniversary set.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2012, 04:14:23 PM by Mikie » Logged

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
oldsurferdude
« Reply #31 on: July 02, 2012, 06:22:26 PM »

Have not,  nor will I ever again listen to the mahnoe version.  P/S came to life when it was released in stereo. Should never have been released in either mahnoe or dewohfonik.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2012, 06:28:29 PM by oldsurferdude » Logged
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 02, 2012, 07:02:16 PM »

I don't care.

I know more about The Beach Boys, and music in general, than you ever will, you stupid, little creep coc*roach of a person. You are a fool, a latecomer, and if God has any mercy, lightning will strike you and anyone who has had the misfortune to know you. If there was any justice, it would happen immediately. Back to f*cking mono.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2012, 07:03:46 PM by I. Spaceman » Logged

EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 02, 2012, 07:24:53 PM »

I don't care.

I know more about The Beach Boys, and music in general, than you ever will, you stupid, little creep coc*roach of a person. You are a fool, a latecomer, and if God has any mercy, lightning will strike you and anyone who has had the misfortune to know you. If there was any justice, it would happen immediately. Back to f*cking mono.

I'm not sure if that was directed at me (I'm not the one who said your opinion had no worth), but I'm sorry I even posted that original thing in the first place. Too much negativity in general - if you like the mono, power to you.

I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 02, 2012, 07:27:35 PM »

I don't care.

I'm not sure if that was directed at me (I'm not the one who said your opinion had no worth), but I'm sorry I even posted that original thing in the first place. Too much negativity in general - if you like the mono, power to you.

No, not at all. Actually, I originally was just making a "definitive" subjective joke regarding your definitive subjective statement. No real harm meant, just a casual joust, honestly. Aegir is bad seed that should have been spilled into a sock, not his mother.

EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 02, 2012, 07:40:03 PM »

I don't care.

No, not at all. Actually, I originally was just making a "definitive" subjective joke regarding your definitive subjective statement. No real harm meant, just a casual joust, honestly. Aegir is bad seed that should have been spilled into a sock, not his mother.

Cool. I should have added an 'in my opinion', of course. To add to my original statement, it's not that I think the stereo is definitive, but rather that the mono mix of Pet Sounds sounds very muddy and rough to me in pretty much every version I've heard it. I AM a big fan of mono mixes in general. I wonder what a 'new' mono mix would sound like. Of course, it would in no way be authentic and people on other forums would go bizerk (guess which one?), but I bet it would sound the best of any mono mix out there.

DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: July 02, 2012, 07:56:58 PM »

nothing can touch that original mono mix. personally, i enjoy the sessions material but i feel that the stereo mix maybe should not have been done at all. the problem with these new mixes is that they end up becoming 'definitive', which is sort of like attempting to re-write history in a sense. I understand the 'it's just another way to listen to it', but most of the greatest hits comps in the last decade have used remixes instead of originals, and you hear these more often on the radio these days too. the 'god only knows' tag on the stereo version sounds so wrong !

Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 02, 2012, 11:34:27 PM »

I know more about The Beach Boys, and music in general, than you ever will, you stupid, little creep coc*roach of a person. You are a fool, a latecomer, and if God has any mercy, lightning will strike you and anyone who has had the misfortune to know you. If there was any justice, it would happen immediately.

Burrrrrrrrrrrrn!!

Aegir is bad seed that should have been spilled into a sock, not his mother.

Scorch!!

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 03, 2012, 02:04:23 AM »

The 2001 remaster though I prefer listening to it in stereo.

Biggus Dikkus
« Reply #39 on: July 03, 2012, 08:20:07 AM »

Honestly the stereo is so dull and devoid of life when it comes to the mono. The 2012 MFSL fixes some of the issues, but it is still lacking power and it feels rather empty. Nothing on a four track should ever be put to stereo.
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 03, 2012, 08:28:40 AM »

Honestly the stereo is so dull and devoid of life when it comes to the mono. The 2012 MFSL fixes some of the issues, but it is still lacking power and it feels rather empty. Nothing on a four track should ever be put to stereo.

I could agree if you said two-track, but there are some truly audiophile records made on four tracks (or less). Ever heard Roy Orbison's Monument recordings?

Nice username, though!

Austin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 03, 2012, 09:21:51 AM »

The stereo version of Pet Sounds isn't mixed from four tracks. After syncing the track and vocal overdub tapes, it's more like 11 tracks (I think that's what AGD's book states, but I don't have it around to check). The Pet Sounds Sessions book explains that it was only when digital syncing came around that they were able to make a stereo mix in a really faithful way.

I can appreciate the mono mix, although I find it funny when people defend it because of Brian's preferences. His widely-recounted opinions on stereo were based on the technology of now forty years ago. I thought it was very telling when Mark Linett stated (a number of years ago) that recent compilations use stereo remixes because Brian requested them.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: July 03, 2012, 09:26:04 AM »

Wow...really?! That was completely uncalled for. I had the same reaction as Aegir initially as well, because honestly it looked like you were being rude to Ego. You've clarified that since, but that was absolutely no reason to fly off the handle at Aegir like that.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 03, 2012, 11:37:04 AM »

One thing is for sure - the worst sounding Mono version is the UK original -  a lovely Duophonic Fold Down!

(Although it is a fun listen Smiley )

I made a replica of it if you're interested. I quite like it...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDW67To9iv0&feature=youtu.be

GAH!!! Why are so many of my vids Blocked in the U.S? They can't even see my Vocals only Help Me Rhonda!
« Last Edit: July 03, 2012, 12:24:08 PM by mrmoustachioto » Logged

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 03, 2012, 12:04:18 PM »

I reckon Mr Spaceman could do some great stand-up  3D

"..be cautious, don't get your hopes up, look over your shoulder because heartbreak and darkness are always ready to pounce"

petsoundsnola
Dr. Tim
Smiley Smile Associate

"Would you put a loud count on it for us please?"

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 03, 2012, 12:10:00 PM »

I agree the best mono version is the CATP/PS Reprise LP issue.  I was one of the nimrods who bought the 40th ann. stereo/mono LP reissue.   Can't tell you why, I just did.   It's fun hearing the stereo version on vinyl, and the mono recut is OK, though for close analysis of the stereo I will play the HDCD version.

I respect the mono version A LOT but my problem after all these years is I can hear all the goshdarn tape splices. 

Ah, the joys of First World problems!

Hey kids! Remember:
mono mixes suck donkey dick
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx