gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680751 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 07:13:12 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Show 42: Marcus Amphitheater - Milwaukee, WI 7/1/12  (Read 26925 times)
TV Forces
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 02, 2012, 10:07:03 AM »

Why the complaints about Brian not doing much in the first half?  The show is sequenced that he has more leads in the second half.  So what?  He was great in Michigan.  Sorry you guys have hearts of stone.
Avilos
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 02, 2012, 10:17:40 AM »

This was probably one of the best concerts of my life.

I had a very... Stressful last year. I am fine know but I was in a serious accident last fall. This was the happiest I have been in a LONG, LONG time.

I was actually in tears for Surfer Girl, In My Room, and very much on I Just Wasn't Made For These Times. That song has always had personal meaning for me and much more recently. I never had tears at a concert before. It was a mixture of happiness and sadness. I was seeing Brian Wislon signing my favorite songs!!!!!

On either side of me I had fans educating their guests on the history of the band and the songs! LOL one was a father to his very young teenager daughter. The other was other was man telling his wife or girlfriend. It did not bother me, I could just barely hear it and did not distract. If I had someone with me I would have done so too.

Beach balls..... one hit me on the F---Ing head!!!!!

« Last Edit: July 02, 2012, 10:19:18 AM by Avilos » Logged
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: July 02, 2012, 10:26:35 AM »

I can't believe I'm saying this, but...the beach balls were fun as all hell!

I think what impressed me most was that when it was Brian's turn, he freakin' OWNED the spotlight. He sang like he wanted to kick everybody's ass and come back for seconds. Then when the focus was off him, you hardly noticed he was there. Smiley

Loved:
- the wide scope of material included
- "Isn't It Time"
- the animation on the screen during "Do You Wanna Dance"; I theorized that it was meant for a Jimi Hendrix film from '67; the Mrs. disagreed, though, and said it was probably Darian's screen saver

Disappointments:
- Having to sit [or stand] through "Kokomo," "I Get Around," "Still Cruisin'," and "Rock And Roll Music"
- Not hearing "Marcella" and "It's OK"
- The number they put on the screen during intermission to get a download code and entry into a shopping spree sweepstakes didn't work; it gave me a message saying that the sweepstakes wasn't running, try again some other time.

Pleasant surprises (I haven't been following the set lists):
- Mike was very UNcorny!
- "Disney Girls (1957)"
- David singing "Getcha Back"...in fact, a lot of things Mike usually sang on the records were covered by the other guys...
- Wisconsinites are MUCH better drunks than Chicagoans; my theory is that Wisconsinites are so used to beer that they can handle it much better.

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
LostArt
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 02, 2012, 11:20:56 AM »

I think what impressed me most was that when it was Brian's turn, he freakin' OWNED the spotlight. He sang like he wanted to kick everybody's ass and come back for seconds. Then when the focus was off him, you hardly noticed he was there. Smiley

Yeah, I agree.

Pleasant surprises (I haven't been following the set lists):
- Mike was very UNcorny!

Yeah.  I liked Mike.  "Adelle sells a sh*tload of records"

- "Disney Girls (1957)"
- David singing "Getcha Back"...in fact, a lot of things Mike usually sang on the records were covered by the other guys...
- Wisconsinites are MUCH better drunks than Chicagoans; my theory is that Wisconsinites are so used to beer that they can handle it much better.

I agree with all of the above.  Bruce nailed it.  David sang well.  There was very little public drunken-ness around me.  Very enjoyable evening.
JanBerryFarm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 02, 2012, 11:39:40 AM »

Sorry you guys have hearts of stone.

Well put. So true.  Smokin

~Hawaiian Shirts Are For Barneys~
Margarita
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 02, 2012, 12:49:08 PM »

Why the complaints about Brian not doing much in the first half?  The show is sequenced that he has more leads in the second half.  So what?  He was great in Michigan.  Sorry you guys have hearts of stone.
Where you see complaints, I just see comments.

I don't think anyone had a problem with the number of leads Brian had; it was that just by nature of staging and appearance, he doesn't look as involved with the other guys.  He doesn't participate in the banter and doesn't speak to the audience.  Last night, he was wearing a more muted color shirt, where the other guys were in brighter colored shirts.  Brian stays in one place, where the other guys move around and interact with each other and the audience. 

Is there anything wrong with this?  Of course not.  He's Brian-freaking-Wilson, well past three-score-and-five and very much alive.  He's never going to act the way the other guys do.  In fact, this tour might be a relief to him, in that Mike can take on the front man duties in his most excellent way.  And Brian can save it all up for his leads and put out great performances like he did last night.  I mean, he got a crowd who went berserk for "Kokomo" to give him a standing ovation for IJWMFTT! 

But still, we're all human and we naturally expect to see certain behaviors.  So don't fault anyone for being a little unsettled if Brian doesn't look happy.  At the same time, the fans have to remember that need to detach from these expectations and just accept the Brian that we have...and just be happy that we have him.

But she's still dancing in the night unafraid of what a dude'll do in a town full of Heroes and Villains...
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 02, 2012, 12:57:51 PM »

- Having to sit [or stand] through "Kokomo," "I Get Around," "Still Cruisin'," and "Rock And Roll Music"

What were the other options, other than sitting or standing?
Wink
MBE
« Reply #32 on: July 02, 2012, 12:59:05 PM »

It was a good show. We got 4th row and were to the right of the stage. They did a good job, Brian wasn't on as much as in Chicago but the second half he came alive. Still Cruising was a weird choice, and I missed Marcella and It's OK, but Pet Sounds (Dave is awesome BTW), California Saga, and Isn't It Time made up for it. Agree that Come Go With Me is a better oldie revival than California Dreamin.

Got to shake hands with Al as they went off stage and I told him it was a great show. The sound was more naturally balanced at this venue, everyone was singing pretty well. Brian did pretty good with his leads and excellent in the harmony stack. Mike did a fine job and all his talking was different. Even Bruce seemed in a good mood and and sang a bit more as did Dave. Al was fantastic as always. I'm glad I got to see the tour one more time.

Only drawback was some drunk asshole booing almost every song (even hits) because he didn't know them. Loudly booing right up front I know Mike and Bruce had to have heard him, glad Brian was on the other side. He booed a stellar IJWMFTT, I really had to control my temper. At least he was quiet during the songs. I don't know I thought the drunks here were worse than in Chicago. The bathrooms literally had crap smooched on the floor or seat. Bad aim! I also think it was cool to see people from 8 to 80. Except for that jerk I thought the people in my section enjoyed the rare songs a lot, considering that the first time they may have heard them was last night. One guy  even asked me if Pet Sounds was Diamond Head so they obviously at one time had Friends in their collection. Again I'm very glad I went.
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: July 02, 2012, 01:04:39 PM »

Wink

Leaving for a 'throom break. Smiley

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
Paul J B
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 02, 2012, 01:08:25 PM »

I don't think anyone had a problem with the number of leads Brian had; it was that just by nature of staging and appearance, he doesn't look as involved with the other guys.  He doesn't participate in the banter and doesn't speak to the audience.  Last night, he was wearing a more muted color shirt, where the other guys were in brighter colored shirts.  Brian stays in one place, where the other guys move around and interact with each other and the audience. 

Is there anything wrong with this?  Of course not.  He's Brian-freaking-Wilson, well past three-score-and-five and very much alive.  He's never going to act the way the other guys do.  In fact, this tour might be a relief to him, in that Mike can take on the front man duties in his most excellent way.  And Brian can save it all up for his leads and put out great performances like he did last night.  I mean, he got a crowd who went berserk for "Kokomo" to give him a standing ovation for IJWMFTT! 

But still, we're all human and we naturally expect to see certain behaviors.  So don't fault anyone for being a little unsettled if Brian doesn't look happy.  At the same time, the fans have to remember that need to detach from these expectations and just accept the Brian that we have...and just be happy that we have him.

Well said, and I think he was referring to me as it appears I'm the only one that thinks he wasn't exactly on a great deal last night. I've seen him enough and been fortunate to say hello to him face to face on 2 occasions so I know what to expect at a Brian Wilson performance. There have been a few times on this tour when he has blown people like us away from the accounts we have here, and I was just hopeful it might have been one of those nights yesterday.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 02, 2012, 01:45:39 PM »

Well said, and I think he was referring to me as it appears I'm the only one that thinks he wasn't exactly on a great deal last night. I've seen him enough and been fortunate to say hello to him face to face on 2 occasions so I know what to expect at a Brian Wilson performance. There have been a few times on this tour when he has blown people like us away from the accounts we have here, and I was just hopeful it might have been one of those nights yesterday.
I been to two shows and Brian was about the same at both. When I watch the YouTube videos at other venues, he seems about the same. So, whether Brian was good or so/so is strictly in the eyes and ears of the beholder.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 02, 2012, 01:54:11 PM »

Wink

Leaving for a 'throom break. Smiley

Grin
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 02, 2012, 02:27:43 PM »

Still Crusin is definitely an odd choice, but could be worse I guess. and Betsy is another weird choice to keep in heavy rotation unless they want to get Scott a lead.  Hope Good Timin gets back in, it sounded excellent on the youtube clips I've seen. I'm sorry to see Darlin gone, I thoroughly enjoyed it t Saratoga . I'm very surprised no Breakaway so far, maybe in Europe?
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: July 02, 2012, 02:30:59 PM »

Still Crusin is definitely an odd choice, but could be worse I guess.

All I ask is that they never ever play Summer In Paradise. I'm ok with Still Cruisin' (although not if they cut "Prayer" for that).
I like "Ballad of ol' Betsy" very much. I heard Scott's lead on a youtube video ad he sounds fantastic.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Paul J B
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 02, 2012, 02:59:27 PM »

All I ask is that they never ever play Summer In Paradise. I'm ok with Still Cruisin' (although not if they cut "Prayer" for that).
I like "Ballad of ol' Betsy" very much. I heard Scott's lead on a youtube video ad he sounds fantastic.

He was fantastic last night and I listed it as one of the highlights for me. Excellent harmonies and music on it as well, it was a real treat to hear that live.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 02, 2012, 03:10:56 PM »

Betsy and Good Timin' and Still Crusin' and Pet Sounds aren't bad songs. 

But to drop Darlin' to make room for any one of those is just a bad idea.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
mabewa
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 02, 2012, 04:28:11 PM »

Still Crusin is definitely an odd choice, but could be worse I guess.

I hate to say this--I agree that Summer in Paradise is one of the worst albums ever made, but I actually like the title track pretty well and would prefer it over Still Cruisin.  Still, I wouldn't mind it at all if they left the 80's and 90's completely alone in their setlists--would rather here more 70's stuff and more stuff from their new album. 
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 02, 2012, 04:32:51 PM »

Betsy and Good Timin' and Still Crusin' and Pet Sounds aren't bad songs. 

But to drop Darlin' to make room for any one of those is just a bad idea.

Original members sing or play three of the four you mention. Darlin' is done by a backing band member. It will always be dropped before numbers sung or played by principals.
NatureShowInStereo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 02, 2012, 04:55:29 PM »

The concert was amazing. IJWMFTT was DEFINITELY a highlight. I was so proud when they/Brian got a huge ovation for it. I didn't think that crowd could appreciate a song like that.

I actually thought it was kind of cool/interesting when Brian just put down the bass mid-song and just stood in the middle of the stage, looking out at everyone. I felt like he was just standing there, not in pain, but soaking up the love.

I think the guys blew everyone out of the water last night with how great they did. Great song choices, great performance. It sounded awesome and Brian and Mike were especially on the ball, imo. Marks shredded the crap out of the guitar.

I wish I could see this show every night all summer.
NatureShowInStereo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 02, 2012, 07:20:40 PM »

Anyone get any pics or video? I've got quite a few pics I'll post later on. Got a couple of videos, too. Not sure how good they are yet, though (still on the cam).

I can't wait for a dvd of this concert/tour to come out. I had a blast.
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: July 03, 2012, 08:35:47 AM »

Oh, totally forgot the best thing about the concert....

NO JOHN STAMOS!!!!!!!!!!!!

TV Forces
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 03, 2012, 09:12:12 AM »

Beach balls..... one hit me on the F---Ing head!!!!!

I hope you weren't in the hospital too long.
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 03, 2012, 09:44:15 AM »

The video backdrop overall. I know some have found it distracting, but in many instances it really added a cool extra kick to the songs. In particular, seeing the high school shots of the boys during BTTYS, the GV footage, the still shot of the SDvol2 cover during the car songs, and the vintage female models during CG. That was some really neat stuff that was incorporated to the live songs.

It's improved a great deal since the tour started but I think it has a bit of ways to go to really make itself useful.  A few of the designs look a bit ameteurish and could need a bit more of a personal touch.  The HS pictures were a great feature but the screensaver stuff could need some improving.  If they're not going to use it as a video screen to project the action on stage, they should really have the screen do more interesting things.  The only useful thing it's there for are for the Carl/Dennis tributes aside from that...it seems they don't know what to do with it.

Justin - I find the video wall one of the most awesome features of the tour show.  It chronicles the history of the band,
the individual stages of the members, the LP covers/artwork, and provides a backdrop, instead of inaminate palm fronds.  It provides an historic context into which the music fits. 

And, I think it attempts to be unselfishly multigenerational with the updated video That's Why God Made the Radio.  The only thing I found a little "squishy" was the psychedelic stuff which which was always difficult to identify with precision.  The outside tron screens are effective to show the stage action, but, I think the 50th theme works well with the 50 years of work visually displayed. 

People forget how expansive the catalog is, and this is a good reminder and teaching tool.  It blows people away.   JMHO  Wink
LostArt
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 03, 2012, 11:39:57 AM »

A rather generic review from The Milwaukee Journal: http://www.jsonline.com/entertainment/musicandnightlife/boys-they-aint-but-they-crank-out-hits-125vakn-161038605.html

And some photos: http://www.jsonline.com/entertainment/multimedia/photos/161017845.html
Banana
Smiley Smile Associate

Mike Love, Not War!

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 05, 2012, 07:06:14 AM »

First post!  Long-time fan...well...as long-time as a 35-year-old can be!  I've seen Brian live many times and I've managed to sit through a couple of Mike & Bruce county fair shows in recent years.

We had decent seats for the show on Sunday.  I thought the crowd was pretty cadaverous...but judging from what I've seen at many of Brian's shows...I was not surprised.  Still...the show was outside...the crowd was nice...the weather was BEAUTIFUL...stand up and sing (without being too obnoxious).  I swear....half of these people looked like they were out for a night at the opera.  If all you want to do is listen to the music (which is fine...I guess) grab your iPod and sit in your livingroom.  Don't pay money to buy a concert ticket and then cast the evil eye at your fellow concert-goers for trying to have a little fun (fun, fun)!

I thought the set-list was okay.  A good portion of the crowd were "Endless Summer Beach Boys Fans" and they, of course, wanted to hear "Little Deuce Coupe" and "I Get Around" and probably would have been thrilled if they would have simply played those two songs on endless repeat (with maybe a little "Be True To Your School" thrown in).  Don't get me wrong...those songs are always fun to hear in a live setting...but as a fanatic I got a bigger kick out of some of the deeper cuts.  I was lucky enough to be sitting near a fellow fanatic (you know when you're in good company when you can sit and discuss Brian's work on the Spring LP)!.  Great to hear stuff like "All This Is That" but not so great to hear "Still Cruisin'"!  When they broke into that one I had a definite WTF expression on my face.  As a big fan...I obviously would have liked to hear more deep cuts...but it is what it is.

I thought the band sounded good.  I was really impressed with Dave.  He threw in some nice leads.  Bruce looked grumpy (surprise, surprise) but he nailed "Disney Grils" which was great.  Mike wasn't too annoying...he even seemed to have a bit of charm to his usual corny intros and he sang his butt off and really drove the show.  I loved Al's voice.  Has it aged at all?  Brian was Brian.  He seemed disengaged throughout the first set....but picked it up in the second as it featured a more Brian slant.  I thought his vocals were fine.

To be honest...it was a good show.  I enjoyed it and consider myself lucky to have been able to see all of them back on stage together making music.  Waas it perfect?  No.  Did I expect it to be?  No.  Did I have a great time?  YES!

"You wanna have the '409' sound, right?  On 'Help Me, Rhonda'?"

"Honkin' down the gosh-darned highway..."

"Cried so hard...teardrops on my bed...COME ON MUTHAF*****S!"
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx