gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 12:54:41 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Show 42: Marcus Amphitheater - Milwaukee, WI 7/1/12  (Read 26827 times)
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: June 29, 2012, 07:54:31 PM »

Show
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2012, 08:15:04 PM »

Show the show
GoofyJeff
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2012, 08:18:59 PM »

I'll be there, can't wait!!!

"Because of the attitude of a few mental dinosaurs intent on exploiting our initial success, Brian's huge talent has never been fully appreciated in America and the potential of the group has been stifled.... If the Beatles had suffered this kind of misrepresentation, they would have never got past singing 'Please Please Me' and 'I Wanna Hold Your Hand' and leaping around in Beatle suits."
-Dennis Wilson, 1970
NatureShowInStereo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2012, 09:27:42 PM »

I will be there as well. Section 7.

Hoping Bruce plays Disney Girls for this one!
And also hoping to hear some IJWMFTT.
Avilos
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2012, 09:49:38 PM »

I will be there too. Section 1.

I learned from a book on the history of Summerfest that the Beach Boys were the very first act who performed at the Marcus Amphitheater. How cool is that! It was Thursday June 25, 1987. A picture of the concert shows Brian was with the Band that night.
LostArt
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2012, 05:02:12 AM »

I will be there, as well.  The last row of section 2, probably somewhere just in front of the mixing console.  I AM STOKED.
NatureShowInStereo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2012, 05:27:29 AM »

I wanted tickets in sections 1-3, but ticketmaster told me the best available was section 7. The minute tickets went on sale. Gahhhhhhhhhhhh. In Beach Boys style, it was a missed opportunity.
jeffh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2012, 05:59:42 AM »

The band Chicago is playing the same day at Summerfest on one of the many side stages. During the 11 day run of the festival, over 700 bands will have performed!!

I won't be there, but good vibes to everyone who is going!!
Crow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2012, 06:44:51 AM »

I'll be there as well - can't wait. I have my blue and white striped shirt ready to go! I am leaving Minneapolis bright and early tomorrow morning....
Avilos
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2012, 09:57:54 AM »

I saw Mike and Bruce's band in 2006 at the EAA in Oshkosh. Which was right around the time of the Capital Records roof reunion. So I have been following rumors ever since than. I have known of their music my whole life and had been a fan of their more well known stuff. But in been recent years that I have been discovering all their music and complicated history. So a chance to see this 50th reunion is a THRILL!

Unfortunately I am going alone. I bought my tickets immediately and I had no one willing to commit to go. But I have been talking about the tour and the new album to everyone I know. I think some of them are regretting it now. Its OK I got a great seat. As long as I am among fellow fans I am not at all alone.

Paul J B
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2012, 10:13:26 AM »

I will be there too. Section 1.

I learned from a book on the history of Summerfest that the Beach Boys were the very first act who performed at the Marcus Amphitheater. How cool is that! It was Thursday June 25, 1987. A picture of the concert shows Brian was with the Band that night.

They were indeed, and Brian was there but did not do much. Al however was not there, must have been sick.

If you think that's cool, the first time I saw the Beach Boys was at Summerfest in 1975. Way back before the amphitheater, when the main stage was a huge yellow tent. So if this is the last go round, I will have seen my first and last BB's show at the same place 37 years apart!

My wife and I will be in section 1 row v.
Margarita
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2012, 06:31:31 PM »

We're in section 8.  This is my first time going to Summerfest...I'm really looking forward to it!  We live in Chicago and could have easily gone to one of their shows here, but the fact that it was on school nights and during the whole NATO thing turned me off.  Also, I'd rather see the BBs at a lakefront outdoor venue in the summer than in a theatre in May.

But she's still dancing in the night unafraid of what a dude'll do in a town full of Heroes and Villains...
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2012, 03:03:36 PM »

Margarita
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2012, 12:04:57 AM »

Just got back home to Chicago...fantastic show! 

Setlist was similar to the previous night's show, with just a few swaps:

Do It Again
Catch A Wave
Hawaii
Don't Back Down
Surfin' Safari
Surfer Girl
Come Go With Me
Why Do Fools Fall In Love?
When I Grow Up To Be A Man
Please Let Me Wonder
Getcha Back (David lead)
Wendy
And Then I Kissed Her
Disney Girls
Isn't It Time
Kiss Me Baby
California Saga (California)
Cottonfields
Be True To Your School
The Ballad of Ole Betsy (Scott Totten lead)
Still Cruisin'
Don't Worry Baby (Jeff lead)
Little Deuce Coupe
Shut Down
I Get Around

(intermission)

Pet Sounds
Add Some Music
Heroes & Villains
Sloop John B
Wouldn't It Be Nice
Sail On Sailor
I Just Wasn't Made For These Times
All This Is That
In My Room
That's Why God Made The Radio
Forever
God Only Knows
Good Vibrations
California Girls
Help Me Rhonda
Rock & Roll Music
Do You Wanna Dance?
Surfin' USA

encore:

Kokomo
Barbara Ann
Fun Fun Fun

This was my only show for this tour, but I would gladly see this same lineup again.  They put their all into the show and were having a good time.  Even Brian was "on" during his leads; I think the big guy is a little relieved to not have to carry the show by himself. 

A few quick notes:
 - Heard "Ride" by the Wondermints during the intermission
 - The crowd went crazy (of course) during the "On Wisconsin" part of "Be True to Your School", and during "the midwest farmers' daughters" in "California Girls"
 - Mike plugged the Chicago concert that was going on at one of the other Summerfest stages.

But she's still dancing in the night unafraid of what a dude'll do in a town full of Heroes and Villains...
TV Forces
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2012, 04:49:32 AM »

what were the swaps?  that setlist is identical to michigan's.

and people keep writing "and then i kissed her."  song's called "then i kissed her."
« Last Edit: July 02, 2012, 04:50:28 AM by TV Forces » Logged
GoofyJeff
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2012, 05:05:37 AM »

- Heard "Ride" by the Wondermints during the intermission

Also during the pre-show walk-in mix.  The couple that sat next to me must have thought I was crazy because I was singing along to that and "Guess I'm Dumb"    Cool

"Because of the attitude of a few mental dinosaurs intent on exploiting our initial success, Brian's huge talent has never been fully appreciated in America and the potential of the group has been stifled.... If the Beatles had suffered this kind of misrepresentation, they would have never got past singing 'Please Please Me' and 'I Wanna Hold Your Hand' and leaping around in Beatle suits."
-Dennis Wilson, 1970
Margarita
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2012, 07:05:21 AM »

what were the swaps?  that setlist is identical to michigan's.

Sorry, it was late when I posted.  I meant that the order was changed for a few songs from the Michigan setlist:
Wendy/Getcha Back
Sail On Sailor/IJWMFTT
In My Room/TWGMTR

Ram4
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2012, 07:44:09 AM »

All weekend I was watching Stubhub to see if I could get decent seats for a low price.  I had already seen the two Chicago shows so I wasn't dying to see this one, plus I was with my girlfriend who went to one of the Chicago shows with me and she could take it or leave it.  So throughout Sunday I was checking Stubhub from the local hotel, and even Ticketmaster, but we didn't want to pay top dollar and were going to settle for uncovered bleachers in the back if we would go at all.  In fact, around 5:30 I pretty much said screw it, I'm NOT going and started thinking about dinner.  Even if we got tickets, we had to get to Summerfest, everything felt so last minute.  But for some reason I gave it one last look.  Row D in section 3 came up!  It was right next to the stage and it was $50.00.  Since the 6pm hour was approaching and I didn't care either way, I decided to wait until 6:00 to see if the price dropped again, but either way I had decided to grab them.  At 6:00 the tickets were gone!!!  All of them.  I forgot that Stubhub stops selling tickets 2 hours before a show (and they had the time wrong on Stubhub, they said 8:00).  So my Row D next to the stage - gone.  I guess it was not meant to be.  I checked Ticketmaster one last time.  Section 3, Row B!  I couldn't believe it.  Even better!  We had to take them.  Our money is really tight now, but I couldn't pass on these.  We sat down in the second row and couldn't believe it - right in front of Brian's piano!  But then more people came and said we were in their seats!  It turned out, we were in the FRONT row!  I was in disbelief.  My girlfriend was happy to be up close but she was wary of having to stand for hours due to a bad knee.  Now she had front row and could sit all she wanted (of course she stood plenty!).  The show was great, nice to see a lot of songs in the set that were not at the Chicago dates, though I missed some that were dropped).  Very cool to see the song Pet Sounds in the show.  Mike was having a great time and did a ton of talking.  Brian sounded pretty good.  I was wearing a "More Cowbell" (Will Ferrell) shirt and during one of the songs, Nelson came out from his kit and ran around the stage with a cowbell.  He also yelled "More Cowbell!" at the end of the show.  Could that have been for me?! Shocked  Ballad of Ole Betsy was really good.  Come and Go With Me was a much better choice than California Dreamin'.  David Marks got more songs than Bruce - that was strange, but good for David.  The weather was just right and we had one of the best experiences ever - and it almost didn't happen.  Then for a little encore, we caught the last few songs of Chicago's show next door.  Very cool way to end the night! 
Paul J B
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2012, 07:58:37 AM »

After 42 shows into this thing, there may not be a whole lot to add but my 2 cents.

The set list is really massive and even though they are adding and swapping a lot of tunes, (yes, I would take Marcella over Still Cruisin') the hardcore folks like us can't complain because it's a fact that MOST of the people in these large crowds are not familiar with either song. The crowd itself was really dull for most of the entire first half and I'm still not sure why. The Sunday night thing may have been part of it. I stood up when they announced California and cheered trying to cause a chain reaction and not ONE person would join me in clapping along. I was in section 1 mind you so we were close enough to feel the bands energy. It was a little annoying to witness California/Cotonfields live among a bunch of drones like that. At least I was not surrounded by any drunks and being Summerfest that's saying something. As others have done I'll outline the good and bad from this point on.

The Bad.

The freakin' beach balls. Annoying as hell. One was bouncing around my area during Sloop and WIBN and I'm telling you a lot of people were watching it and just waiting for a chance to swat it instead of paying attention to the show. Pissed me off! I would not have cared so much but it was actually OBSTRUCTING my view of Al. Those damn things need to be banned plain and simple. Brian nor anyone ever made a comment about them.

Brian was not that great last night. He hardly did anything the entire first set. Too much of his time was spent disengaged from the performance. I kind of thought he would not be at his best due to Milwaukee being the 3rd consecutive show in as many nights. There was almost no commentary from him in either set, so I was a little disappointed the more engaged and into it Brian that has been popping up was not there last night. I'm not saying Brian was really bad, just that he's been better.

The seemingly lack of knowledge by most of the crowd that a lot of these songs have never been heard live before this tour. Not a surprise, but I kind of missed the feeling you get at Brian's solo shows where most of the crowd knows the score. A little jarring to stand up and give an enthusiastic round of applause and the rest of the crowd around you just sits claps for 2 seconds hoping the next song will be something they can sing to.

The Good.

Brian and Mike's band combo. My God these guys are freakin' fantastic. It really can not be over stated. Anyone that enjoys live music and is not blown away by these guys has their head up their a--. Not just Darian, not just John, each and every one is so professional and so good it's something you never tire of.  They could have stretched Pet Sounds into an hour long version and I still would not have gotten bored.

The Beach Boys singing overall. They sound great. Yes, they get a little help on the vocal blend but for the most part you do hear them loud and clear and it's the 5 Beach Boys (plus Jeff) doing the heavy lifting.

TWGMTR was great! The one song I expected to be not so good based on prior reviews came off fantastic.

The Denny/Carl tributes. They worked flawlessly and it really added something. The crowd seemed to ACTUALLY pay close attention to both songs. Very classy and touching....I loved it.

The video backdrop overall. I know some have found it distracting, but in many instances it really added a cool extra kick to the songs. In particular, seeing the high school shots of the boys during BTTYS, the GV footage, the still shot of the SDvol2 cover during the car songs, and the vintage female models during CG. That was some really neat stuff that was incorporated to the live songs.

Some highlights for me in no particular order:

Kiss Me Baby
California
Cottonfields
Add Some Music
TWGMTR
Pet Sounds
Forever
Ballad of old Betsy (thought Scott was great and having never seen Mike's BB's)

I'll sum up by saying that my expectations were met, and if you are on the fence, be sure to see them if you have the opportunity. I'll add more later after others chime in.

GoofyJeff
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2012, 08:19:15 AM »

At least I was not surrounded by any drunks and being Summerfest that's saying something.

I wish the same could be said for my experience... I had two drunk ladies in their 60s shaking their asses in front of my face most of the night on virtually every song.

-Dennis Wilson, 1970
Ram4
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2012, 08:40:21 AM »

I got a picture of the setlist and I noticed that Good Timin' was on it after In My Room, but not played.  I would have loved to have heard that one.
Paul J B
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2012, 08:53:28 AM »

At least I was not surrounded by any drunks and being Summerfest that's saying something.

I wish the same could be said for my experience... I had two drunk ladies in their 60s shaking their asses in front of my face most of the night on virtually every song.

I feel your pain. The last time I saw Fleetwood Mac a few years ago we had a drunk couple dancing and bumping into us. He would shout out "I love you Stevie" and she would shout out "I love you Lindsay" on and on. It was really sickening because they were in their 50's and obviously still had not grown up. Almost as dumb as going to see one of the greatest bands ever for perhaps the last time and being more interested in playing volleyball.
LostArt
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2012, 08:53:47 AM »

What an amazing concert!  I won't go into details about the show...everybody's done that.  I'll just make a few observations, though.  All of the voices were mostly great.  Al's voice cracked on his first lead, but he was rock solid after that.  I thought Brian was great...you could hear his harmonies, and he was singing fine.  All of his leads were spot on, except for the first few notes of each verse of Good Vibrations (some audible groans from some audience members).  I Just Wasn't Made For These Times was the highlight for me, and he got a nice ovation after it.  I thought David was good on guitar, but there were a couple solos that sounded a little...I don't know...not rough, but not great.  Good tone on his guitar, though, and for the most part he was very good.  Bruce was Bruce.  Mike is a great front man, and his voice was stong.  He may have been losing some steam at the end of the nght, but I couldn't tell if it was his fault, or the sound guy's fault.

I saw folks in their 70s, 60s, 50s, 40s, 30s, 20s, and younger kids, all enjoying the show.  Think about that for a second.  Do you know how amazing that is?  This music is timeless.  Incredible!  I want to give a big thank you to the guy from Minneapolis who traded seats with me.  Last week I learned that I have a couple of herniated discs in my back, and I can't sit (or stand or do anything) for very long periods of time.  So, there were three seats between mine and the aisle...an older couple next to me, and a guy in his mid 20s on the aisle.  I explained my back situation to the guy, and he kindly traded seats with me so that I could get up and walk from time to time.  I can't remember his name, but again, Thank You!  The bad part about the swap was that I was now seated next to the older gentleman who wanted to sing along to every song he knew.  Let me tell you, when he tried to sing falsetto, I don't know if it was my back or my ears that hurt more.  Thank goodness he didn't know as many in the second set (he didn't even clap after All This Is That).  Real nice guy, though, and I found myself correcting him on a number of things that he was telling his lady friend about the band.  You know... a lot of the same tired old myths.

Well, that's it from me for now.  My back is sore today, but what an amazing night this was. 
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2012, 09:39:09 AM »

The video backdrop overall. I know some have found it distracting, but in many instances it really added a cool extra kick to the songs. In particular, seeing the high school shots of the boys during BTTYS, the GV footage, the still shot of the SDvol2 cover during the car songs, and the vintage female models during CG. That was some really neat stuff that was incorporated to the live songs.

It's improved a great deal since the tour started but I think it has a bit of ways to go to really make itself useful.  A few of the designs look a bit ameteurish and could need a bit more of a personal touch.  The HS pictures were a great feature but the screensaver stuff could need some improving.  If they're not going to use it as a video screen to project the action on stage, they should really have the screen do more interesting things.  The only useful thing it's there for are for the Carl/Dennis tributes aside from that...it seems they don't know what to do with it.
Paul J B
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2012, 09:47:23 AM »

I thought Brian was great...you could hear his harmonies, and he was singing fine.  All of his leads were spot on, except for the first few notes of each verse of Good Vibrations (some audible groans from some audience members).  I Just Wasn't Made For These Times was the highlight for me, and he got a nice ovation after it. 

To each his own I guess but Brian was just OK last night IMO. I base this on having seen 5 of his live solo shows and paying attention to the reviews throughout this tour. There was way too much of the awkward "why am I here" Brian during the first set. The second set much better, as is always the case but.............I think he was really tired. Like I said, 3 dates in a row from New York to Wisconsin would wear me out.

Yeah, Mike being able to carry a long show like that at 70 is pretty amazing. His banter did get too long at times but overall he was a lot of fun and clearly loves what he is doing.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx