gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680815 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 10:57:09 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: "There's No Other (Like My Baby)"  (Read 1866 times)
Wah Wah Wah Ooooo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: June 29, 2012, 06:44:45 AM »

I was listening to the "Party" album with headphones on last night. It's been a long, long time since I heard this album, but it really struck me as quite good.  Underneath the stupid giggling and party noise, there are some really fine performances, albeit of some lighter material (and some not so light). 

One that really struck me as quality is "There's No Other."  The block vocals on the chorus sound stellar.  Can you imagine this as a non-party track produced by BW with the wrecking crew and BBs vocals?  I think it would be a stone-cold classic.

I'd actually love to hear this whole album sans the party noises.  Am I alone on this?

"I'm in a band. We're called the Beach Boys." ~ Brian Wilson
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2012, 07:18:15 AM »

I totally think "There's No Other" is *the* absolute highlight of the Party album. There seems to be a reverence and a sincerity on that cut that you don't hear on most of the other, maybe except "Devoted to You". But yeah, honestly, it was The Beach Boys version that turned me onto The Crystals version, and now I love both.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2012, 07:34:59 AM »

Brian knocks it out of the damn park. One of my favourite Brian leads.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2012, 07:49:49 AM »

One of my favorite Beach Boys albums (seriously !). "There's no other...." is incredible. The boys in total harmony, Brian giving one of his best leads. I think his mid-range voice is really underrated. He had a certain roughness, yet still sweet that makes it irresistible imo

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2012, 07:50:43 AM »

Agree.  Great version.
keysarsoze001
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2012, 09:09:44 AM »

Amazing track. Worth the price of admission for that alone. The block harmonies are just astounding. I personally adore Party! because they just nailed the atmosphere. It doesn't feel stagey, it feels like someone really did just leave a tape recorder running. The energy is through the roof, and the chatter isn't annoying. Now, does anyone know, do versions of these songs without the chatter exist?
startBBtoday
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2012, 09:14:20 AM »

Always liked There's No Other, but my favorite tracks on that album are the two Beatles Hard Days Night tracks. Made me like those songs a lot more.
debonbon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2012, 09:18:53 AM »

I'd actually love to hear this whole album sans the party noises.  Am I alone on this?

You can, it's out there.

A healthy...low fat or non-fat...healthy......blizzard.
Gertie J.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2012, 04:17:18 AM »

Guess I'm in a right place! 'Cause I LOVE There's No Other! My favorite Party number! Tell me whatever but it's streets ahead of an original!   

dj, blogger, and hanger-on
Jaspy
Smiley Smile Associate

That's not me

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2012, 04:29:00 AM »

Nice little album. The party ambiance gives it an uplifting feeling, although it would be an idea to re-release it without the party, like "Devoted to You" on 'Hawthorne, CA' - beautiful, love that one.
I also like all the outtakes, some more than the released songs, and there are many, as you probably know. You hear the Beach Boys - pure and live - harmonising and having fun together.
Good that this album was done.

Beach Boy
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got tears in the morning

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2012, 05:10:31 AM »

That's my favourite track on the album too, I actually enjoy all songs minus the car medley. Yesterday I was watching the Endless Summer TV Special and the campfire part is great and reminded me of the Party album's ambience.

Late at night
When the whole world's sleeping
I dream of you
Close to you I feel your sweet heart beating
I dream of you
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx