gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 02:52:43 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Adrian Baker ?  (Read 23690 times)
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: May 05, 2013, 01:15:42 AM »

I'm actually just stating the facts as I know them, not necessarily defending any one person. I've seen some less than flattering comments not only about Adrian, but Foskett & myself as well.  As a lead & backing vocalist for the band for roughly 8 years, I definately have witnessed some painful performances by others & have taken part in painful performances myself. Just a fact of life onstage. I will say that the BB bands going out nowadays benefit greatly from state-of-the-art in-ear monitors, which definately help the vocalists to not have to over-sing (over loud wedges, guitar amps, drums, etc). There's no reason for anyone to sound bad with that kind of onstage control. Pretty cool.

Fair enough -- and anyone making unflattering comments about you or Foskett is being very unfair. I agree that everyone does the occasional bad performance, but I've never yet heard one from you and only rarely from Foskett.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
Letsgoawayforawhile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: May 05, 2013, 10:19:25 AM »

Matt, your parts on Warmth Of The Sun were wonderful.

“Simple it's not, I'm afraid you will find, for a mind maker-upper to make up his mind”
- Dr. Seuss
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: May 06, 2013, 07:04:54 AM »

I've listened to Baker and Foskett carefully, and my ears tell me that Baker has a trained voice capable of a greater range of styles, pitches, and timbres. Whereas Foskett (bless his heart) is pretty much a one trick pony, and it's not THAT great of a trick.

Let me also add that altho neither sounds like Brian very much (just achieving a falsetto soprano doesn't mean you sound like Brian Wilson), I'd say that Baker is capable of coming closer than Foskett.
Well said, JanBerryFarm. I too think Adrian sings better than Jeff. Liked his falsetto in "Daybreak Over the Ocean" & the Four Seasons songs. As for the 2nd sentiment, I agree, neither of them sounds like Brian (no one can actually, at least not exactly like Brian, there will still be a minor difference) & agree that Baker is better Brian soundalike than Jeff. F.ex., I can well imagine Adrian sing "Mother May" & "Baker Man".
« Last Edit: September 11, 2017, 02:05:15 AM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Nicko1234
« Reply #103 on: May 06, 2013, 12:11:03 PM »

I read in another thread here that Adrian was fired because of Mike's wife's decision. If memory serves, he had disagreements with her & the rest of the backing band. Maybe I'm wrong, but I also recall that he said some nasty things about The Beach Boys themselves. Maybe that's why some fans dislike him, not only because of his voice. If that's the case, it's an unreasonable reason for disliking a musician. After all, what matters is the music, not one's behavior or such imo.

I don't think that's a key reason for most people and I can't actually recall him saying nasty things about The Beach Boys.

I think the truth is more simple. The touring band is much better now than when he was a part of it.
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: May 06, 2013, 12:49:23 PM »

I read in another thread here that Adrian was fired because of Mike's wife's decision. If memory serves, he had disagreements with her & the rest of the backing band. Maybe I'm wrong, but I also recall that he said some nasty things about The Beach Boys themselves. Maybe that's why some fans dislike him, not only because of his voice. If that's the case, it's an unreasonable reason for disliking a musician. After all, what matters is the music, not one's behavior or such imo.

No, people dislike him because he sings horribly.  I know nothing of any inter-band politics in Mike's band, and nor do I want to. What I do know is that he sang horribly at the shows where I saw him perform, and on all the recordings I've heard.
When people state their reasons, it's polite to take them at their word, and incredibly rude to impute other motives without evidence. If people say they don't like the way Adrian Baker sounds, it's because they don't like the way he sounds.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
zachrwolfe
« Reply #105 on: May 06, 2013, 03:23:01 PM »

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 09:11:07 PM by zatch » Logged
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: May 06, 2013, 08:04:00 PM »

Brian at any age, Jeff Foskett and Adrian Baker sound absolutely nothing like one another. Crack smokin' donkeys from outer space.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: May 06, 2013, 08:39:49 PM »

I know nothing of any inter-band politics in Mike's band, and nor do I want to. What I do know is that he sang horribly at the shows where I saw him perform, and on all the recordings I've heard.

Ever heard his recording of "Happy Birthday Brian Wilson"?  I thought he did a real bang-up job on that one.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx