gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680833 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 06:52:18 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Adrian Baker ?  (Read 23871 times)
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 12, 2012, 09:54:00 AM »

Meanwhile, Bruce has been a legitimate writing, producing, and performing member of the band since 1965. The first thing the guy did was step into the studio to sing on the chorus of "California Girls", while Jeff's first task was to sing backup on a track produced by Boy George or something.

Just sayin', Bruce isn't just some d00d and has made some big contributions to the band.

Absolutely. Not trying to dismiss Bruce's role in the band *in the slightest*. Just that I can see why people don't think he added much to Beach Boys shows in recent decades.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 12, 2012, 10:06:30 AM »

Meanwhile, Bruce has been a legitimate writing, producing, and performing member of the band since 1965. The first thing the guy did was step into the studio to sing on the chorus of "California Girls", while Jeff's first task was to sing backup on a track produced by Boy George or something.

Just sayin', Bruce isn't just some d00d and has made some big contributions to the band.

Absolutely. Not trying to dismiss Bruce's role in the band *in the slightest*. Just that I can see why people don't think he added much to Beach Boys shows in recent decades.

Naw, I know. Just wanted to add... uh, well, what I said. ^_^

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: July 12, 2012, 11:55:03 AM »

Jeff doesn't leave his post at the mic and go to the audience and start conducting them.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 12, 2012, 01:07:44 PM »

1. One need not to diminish Bruce in order to praise Jeff.

2. Singing falsetto is tough. It's a range that can be affected by many factors, age specially.

3. Baker's voice could be many things except beautiful. Listen to the 1981 Long Beach show. He was young by then. Shitty sound system, I know; probably a bad day, Ok. But he was a hired hand and sounded like that.

4. He grew old. Sounded consistently bad. Grew a dislike for Mike and Jackie, apparently. The band improved notoriously after letting him go.

5. Randell, who took his vocal duties, and is not very young either, is IMO the best falsettist of those that are active in BB land.

6. But Jeff in addition go being a good singer and a nice stage persona (without being overwhelming, a difficult task given his job), plays a major role in Brian's life. He's doing a good job. And deserves what he's got.

6. Jeff is a good singer, is a well rounded guy, and plays an important role in Brian's profesional life. That's enough reason to keep him.

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 12, 2012, 01:10:28 PM »

[...] is a well rounded guy
Yes he is.  Grin
Gcplayer
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 12, 2012, 01:28:10 PM »

I like Jeff.  This is the first time I've heard anything negative about him.  I'm surprised that people would talk crap about him.
BB Universe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 12, 2012, 01:45:51 PM »

Not exactly sure how a thread on Adrian Baker has become commentary (yet again) on Jeff. I think Dr. Lenny's comments #'s 6 and 7 are especially on point and I agree with those.
Given how well this tour has gone, how good the group has sounded (in part with Jeff's contributions and with those being mixed in well), IMO its not cool to bash on Jeff if that's what anyone's doing and I do think he's been a very good asset for Brian and his band during the past decade or longer.
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 12, 2012, 03:13:00 PM »

I like Jeff.  This is the first time I've heard anything negative about him.  I'm surprised that people would talk crap about him.

It's become quite cool around here to attack Jeff, basically ever since it became uncool to attack Mike Love. The major reasons given are:
1) That he once said something to a fan that could be taken as slightly rude
2) That he doesn't like The Beach Boys Love You
3) That he's (supposedly) a fundamentalist and/or evangelist Christian
4) That sometimes he has seemed a little brusque when talking to Brian, because nobody else has ever been a bit grumpy with someone who's been a colleague for thirty years
5) That he doesn't sing as well as Matt Jardine

Personally, I think there are undoubtedly reasonable criticisms that can be made of him (for example I've heard -- though I may have heard wrong of course -- that he's the one who was principally responsible for Brian going increasingly in a pre-66 hits direction over the last few years on his tours), but that he seems in general to be a decent person and a good singer, and it's far easier not to go looking for reasons to dislike people.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
JanBerryFarm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 12, 2012, 03:43:56 PM »

It's become quite cool around here to attack Jeff, basically ever since it became uncool to attack Mike Love.

Uncool to attack Mike Love? ......Where? When?
Surely you jest. Knocking Mike Love is the stock and trade of this hateful board.

~Hawaiian Shirts Are For Barneys~
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 12, 2012, 03:46:20 PM »

Weird how in the smaller band configuration you barely hear Bruce play or sing, yet with this gigantic configuration where so many are playing and singing, you can hear his parts with no problem.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Jason
« Reply #60 on: July 12, 2012, 04:16:42 PM »

I don't think you can lay the credit strictly on Adrian Baker's departure from the Michael and Bruce band for the rapid increase in quality of the shows. Chris Farmer being promoted to band leader had a lot to do with it as well. The other big hurdle was Mike Kowalski. Nothing against the guy, but by 2006 he was dragging the band down. Scott Totten built on what Chris Farmer started when he became the band leader. The five-man Michael and Bruce backup lineup with Scott Totten, John Cowsill, Christian Love, Randell Kirsch, and Tim Bonhomme is about the best that band has ever sounded.
D409
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 12, 2012, 04:17:52 PM »

With the greatest respect, can I please ask the moderators to ensure that this thread stays on topic ?  i.e. a discussion about the merits or otherwise of Adrian Baker, not a "let's slag off Jeffery Foskett" platform.
Jason
« Reply #62 on: July 12, 2012, 04:25:17 PM »

With the greatest respect, can I please ask the moderators to ensure that this thread stays on topic ?  i.e. a discussion about the merits or otherwise of Adrian Baker, not a "let's slag off Jeffery Foskett" platform.

That's next to impossible on this board. Like life, this board goes off on tangents. Smiley
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: July 12, 2012, 08:05:29 PM »

1. One need not to diminish Bruce in order to praise Jeff.

I hope you don't think that's in response to what I said. I think Bruce's falsetto, while harder for him to produce to due to age, is much better than Jeff's. but I also think Bruce spends way too much time not singing or playing keyboard.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
rn57
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 12, 2012, 08:54:19 PM »

Well, at least we're getting back to discussing falsettos, which may bring it around to Adrian Baker again. One thing about his commenting at the Man vs Clown blog - it makes me wonder if he could some time show up here as an Honored Guest and 'splain himself. A lot there is that needs 'splainin'.

But I wish I hadn't drawn a comparison to Jeff now. I forgot that fundamental rule that if one refers to anything in which he's even tangentially involved, before long the discussion will revolve around him.  I could start a thread, say, about what Brian watches on TV when he's winding down after a show, and sooner or later it will turn out that Jeff is handling the remote because its battery is low and he's sitting closer to the TV, and then it would be all about him and the remote.  Which is why, though it makes sense to mention him in the thread I'm starting up, "What Makes A Beach Boy," I'll let somebody else do that.
D409
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 13, 2012, 02:19:18 AM »

Well, at least we're getting back to discussing falsettos, which may bring it around to Adrian Baker again. One thing about his commenting at the Man vs Clown blog - it makes me wonder if he could some time show up here as an Honored Guest and 'splain himself. A lot there is that needs 'splainin'.

Agreed...it would be nice if Mr Baker was to elaborate further on his comments...maybe he's not allowed to for fear of retribution by BRI ?
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 13, 2012, 07:10:22 AM »

It's become quite cool around here to attack Jeff, basically ever since it became uncool to attack Mike Love.

Uncool to attack Mike Love? ......Where? When?
Surely you jest. Knocking Mike Love is the stock and trade of this hateful board.

Hateful board? What a joke. Go checkout the comments section of every youtube video or article before you call the people here hateful. Please.
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 13, 2012, 07:28:53 AM »

I don't think normal people are prompt to show up where they are hated.

Jason
« Reply #68 on: July 13, 2012, 07:32:20 AM »

I don't think normal people are prompt to show up where they are hated.

I just imagined Leonard Cohen saying that exact statement...and it was SO much cooler.

Secondly (this is directed at everyone)...who gives a f*** what a bunch of people on the internet think? Sheesh...lock yourself in a padded room if you can't take the heat.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: July 19, 2012, 09:35:40 AM »

So for everyone who has the desire to hear Adrian Baker with the Beach Boys in the early 90s, either go to youtube and look for "beach boys japan" or click here for "Surfer girl" and "Don't worry baby":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8C4o6OT2FNQ

So much was wrng then..... Roll Eyes

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 19, 2012, 10:05:12 AM »

So for everyone who has the desire to hear Adrian Baker with the Beach Boys in the early 90s, either go to youtube and look for "beach boys japan" or click here for "Surfer girl" and "Don't worry baby":

I tell ya... I'd rather take the lead singing than the drumming on DWB. Interesting that those two factors (Baker and Mike K.) would still be a problem well into the 2000s.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2012, 10:06:31 AM by Dr. Lenny » Logged

startBBtoday
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 19, 2012, 11:38:03 AM »

Yikes, that's awful. I wonder why they weren't having Carl or Al take Don't Worry Baby.
dcowboys107
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 20, 2012, 04:52:19 AM »

I though Jeff sounded really great on ¨DWB¨when I heard him in Atlanta. His singing fit the song and was very beautiful.  I mean I don´t think to sing falsetto you have to ¨sound like¨Brian. I think as long as you get the feel and pitch right that´s all that matters. If you compare the 2012 version so a 1964 live version of course it´s different vocally but I don´t fault Jeff. I´m looking forward to hearing him sing it again in Barcelona.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: July 20, 2012, 05:16:01 AM »

I though Jeff sounded really great on ¨DWB¨when I heard him in Atlanta. His singing fit the song and was very beautiful.  I mean I don´t think to sing falsetto you have to ¨sound like¨Brian. I think as long as you get the feel and pitch right that´s all that matters. If you compare the 2012 version so a 1964 live version of course it´s different vocally but I don´t fault Jeff. I´m looking forward to hearing him sing it again in Barcelona.

This was a nice combination:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5I2164jnQk

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 20, 2012, 08:09:58 AM »

This was a nice combination:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5I2164jnQk

You know, by 1988-9 they switched roles: Carl sang the chorus.

I never got why the high (lead sort of) guitar part was given to Jeff and later to Baker.

See how better Kowalski's drumming for this song was in 1987 as compared to the mid 90s.

gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx