gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680742 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 18, 2024, 06:28:48 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Adrian Baker ?  (Read 23833 times)
D409
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: June 29, 2012, 04:56:41 AM »

What's the general consensus about Adrian Baker's contributions to the BB's over the years ? Having had around 3 stints in the touring band, was he any good ? If not, how come they toured with him for so long ? What led to his departure in 2004 ?
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2012, 05:02:32 AM »

super amazingly awesome bad
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNV-eve42M0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4l4aqDeR18

he's much better suited for four seasons songs.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2012, 05:07:17 AM by Runaways » Logged
D409
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2012, 05:08:07 AM »

Mmm...that version of Don't Worry Baby is testicle-wrenchingly bad !
PaulTMA
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2012, 05:13:52 AM »

Everything you need to know about the man, from 2 mins 25 seconds in:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVrbpgz37tk
Wah Wah Wah Ooooo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2012, 05:14:43 AM »

I think every person that ever sang falsetto for the Beach Boys was better than Adrian Baker.  I don't even know if he'd sound good on Four Seasons songs either, as has been suggested. His voice just sucks.  Brian, Bruce, Al, Carl, Matt, Jeff...all better singers than Baker. I will never, ever, ever understand what appealed to Mike et al about this guy. Awful.

"I'm in a band. We're called the Beach Boys." ~ Brian Wilson
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2012, 05:16:26 AM »

I think every person that ever sang falsetto for the Beach Boys was better than Adrian Baker.  I don't even know if he'd sound good on Four Seasons songs either, as has been suggested. His voice just sucks.  Brian, Bruce, Al, Carl, Matt, Jeff...all better singers than Baker. I will never, ever, ever understand what appealed to Mike et al about this guy. Awful.

I will never understand why Carl let him back into the band after kicking him out when he (Carl) returned

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Cliff1000uk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2012, 05:24:10 AM »

Everything you need to know about the man, from 2 mins 25 seconds in:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVrbpgz37tk

Paul-I've never seen that with The Gorky's. They had a song on their album, Patio, that was about Adrian Baker called Mr Groovy. A massively underrated band and much missed
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2012, 06:04:11 AM »

What's the general consensus about Adrian Baker's contributions to the BB's over the years ? Having had around 3 stints in the touring band, was he any good ? If not, how come they toured with him for so long ? What led to his departure in 2004 ?

Baker's contributions to the band were not in anyway meaningful. His falsetto grated. His departure in 2004 was related to his not begin exactly a team player, I've heard.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Michael Edwards Love
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2012, 06:06:42 AM »

To give the guy his props, he really does sound like Frankie Valli.  But, I agree he was totally inappropriate on the Brian/Carl parts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0Dc5ldEISY
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2012, 07:42:40 AM »

He just plain sucked, period. And he wore horrible Hawaiian shirts on stage while doing it. When Matt Jardine replaced him in 2003 it was like we had been delivered out of the desert

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
JanBerryFarm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2012, 08:46:26 AM »

Too bad they can't find a singer who sounds like Brian (once did). It's not Foskett.

It's one thing to hit the notes. It's another to have 'the whine'.

~Hawaiian Shirts Are For Barneys~
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2012, 10:46:19 AM »

Much beloved, as you've seen.

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
keysarsoze001
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2012, 10:52:44 AM »

Too bad they can't find a singer who sounds like Brian (once did). It's not Foskett.

It's one thing to hit the notes. It's another to have 'the whine'.

Bingo.
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2012, 10:55:49 AM »

Almost always off-pitch, horribly mutilated vowel sounds from an Englishman trying to sound American, a terrible record producer (as his remakes with Mike show)... basically he was everything the worst Foskett-basher claims Jeff is.

Notably, Mike's band started getting actually *good* once he was replaced with Randell Kirsch (and then got even better when Cowsill switched to drums, replacing Kowalski -- but the difference is that Kowalski had once had some ability. Baker never did.)

That said, I've generally not heard many bad things about him as a person, so maybe that's why he was able to join the band on multiple occasions.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2012, 11:22:52 AM »

Surprisingly, from the recorded evidence I've heard, Baker sounded the worst during his 1981 stint. The stuff from 1990-91 isn't too bad, just extremely nasaly and whiney. When they brought Matt Jardine on full time, that was definitely much better.

It was a bit off-putting in the late 90's and early 2000's that he was singing "Sherry" at Beach Boys concerts and whatnot. The whole deal a few years back when they "traded" Baker to "Papa Doo Run Run" for Randell Kirsch was kind of weird. It ultimately apparently made Mike's band better, but I remember reading comments and reports from around that time that were kind of weird in terms of the circumstances of all of that.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2012, 04:37:39 PM »

Frankie Valli doing BBs covers....

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
JanBerryFarm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2012, 04:46:22 PM »

I would Much rather have heard the Beach Boys doing Four Seasons covers than Frankie Valli singing Beach Boy covers.

That's for sure.

~Hawaiian Shirts Are For Barneys~
SIP.FLAC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2012, 05:18:08 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9BKCF5bwqU&feature=related perfectly fine in this context. Not with the Beach Boys.

Youre not allowed to have a picture in your signature so imagine this : Tony Montana shooting a machine gun (his little friend), but the face is actually Mike Love haha.
SIP.FLAC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2012, 05:20:36 PM »

Though I quite like his vocal on Hot Fun in the Summertime (I assume its him).

Youre not allowed to have a picture in your signature so imagine this : Tony Montana shooting a machine gun (his little friend), but the face is actually Mike Love haha.
Nicko1234
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2012, 05:20:42 PM »

Adrian Baker leaving the BB touring band was the best thing that had happened to the group in some years. Ironic now that some people at the time were complaining,  " another long term member leaves...what a joke!"

The studio recordings that Mike and Adrian Baker did are also truly awful. The worst stuff that Mike has recorded imo (yes, worse than Summer in Paradise).

Having said that, I believe that Adrian Baker did do the vocal arrangements on Cool Head, Warm Heart and some other stuff so maybe there were traces of talent there.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2012, 06:23:04 PM »

The stuff from Mike's solo album sound good but nothing else Adrian Baker ever touched sounds good. I think one of the worst things about Summer in Paradise is the vocal blend.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2012, 06:42:55 PM »

Having said that, I believe that Adrian Baker did do the vocal arrangements on Cool Head, Warm Heart and some other stuff so maybe there were traces of talent there.

If he did "Cool head..." then he probably did "Daybreak over..." as well. He did totally ruin "The warmth of the sun" on "Symphonic sounds". If you compare that awfully exaggerated thing to the original (or another tastefully done rendition - Murry's for example), you'll understand just how awful his work for the Beach Boys was. Again, I can't understand how Carl would let him back again after he throw him out of the band in '82(?).

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2012, 07:32:27 PM »

When Matt Jardine replaced him in 2003 it was like we had been delivered out of the desert

In what group was this?

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2012, 04:38:43 AM »

If he did "Cool head..." then he probably did "Daybreak over..." as well.

Nope. Paul Fauerso, like the credits say.  Smiley

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2012, 07:10:10 AM »

If he did "Cool head..." then he probably did "Daybreak over..." as well.

Nope. Paul Fauerso, like the credits say.  Smiley

Good point

- Jack Rieley
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx