gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680774 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 23, 2024, 02:40:13 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Show 41: DTE Energy Music Theatre - Clarkston, MI 6/30/12  (Read 34659 times)
freedomaspirer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2012, 01:25:56 AM »

I wouldn't be surprised to see Summer In Paradise being added now after this!
Stegibo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2012, 02:01:42 AM »

Stil Cruisin'?! Great, it's a fantastic song, really catchy. Smiley

Are you ready for some Fun Fun Fun?!
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2012, 03:49:24 AM »

This is probably the only time SC gets to be performed on this tour. It's an ok song, I'm sure the band performed well. Let's not get too dramatic over it.

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
jet without wings
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 01, 2012, 04:20:49 AM »

"Still Cruisin"? Shocked

Yeah.  They said it was a Detroit thing because of our annual Woodward Cruise and all that. 

Somebody will hopefully come up with the setlist soon, but compared to last night we didn't get Little Honda, Marcella, or Good Timin'.  We did get Still Cruisin', as I mentioned, and Ballad of Ole Betsy. 

Some cool music choices.. Before the band came out, they played "Be My Baby" by the Ronettes and "Changes" by the Zombies.  During intermission, they played "Changes" again and "The Rain, the Park, and Other Things" by the Cowsills.  They also played some early Beach Boys instrumentals and one tune that I had no idea what is was..  The lead singer sure sounded like Brian but I didn't know the song.  Argh.  "Summer Means New Love" played when the show ended.  We sat and watched the crew tear down the stage as we let the crowd thin out a bit.  They got everything down in 10-15 minutes.  Impressive.  Pros.

Among the 60's mix of songs at Darien Lake Friday they played Guess I'm Dumb. Sounded great.
jet without wings
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: July 01, 2012, 04:45:42 AM »

Thanks for the reports !

I kinda like "Stil cruisin'" in fact I sang it to myself yesterday (talk about coincidence). But the inclusion of that song and "Come go with me" and at the same time the exclusion of "Our prayer" is something can't support.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
SMiLE
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 01, 2012, 05:47:39 AM »

I wouldn't be surprised to see Summer In Paradise being added now after this!
Or worse.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBFsJk6PWu0
ohthosegirls
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 01, 2012, 05:48:27 AM »

I'm pretty sure it was Bobby Figueroa sharing the mic with Bruce towards the encore, or the encore? I just thought it was some random fan/friend, but now it makes sense that would be him. The song you might be thinking about playing during the intermission was "Summer Means Fun" by Bruce & Terry. Great show all around. I would have to pick Cottonfields and I Just Wasn't Made For These Times as the tracks of the night!
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: July 01, 2012, 06:22:34 AM »

Facebook:

Brian Wilson
Longtime Beach Boys drummer Bobby Figueroa stopped by to say hi last night.

« Last Edit: July 01, 2012, 06:28:31 AM by Rocker » Logged

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Nicko1234
« Reply #33 on: July 01, 2012, 06:40:08 AM »

I think it`s great that Bobby Figueroa made a cameo and that the use of occasional guests this tour has been handled very well. As it is a celebration tour it is absolutely right that the likes of Figueroa, Dean Torrence, John Stamos and the group`s kids should make occasional appearances.
southisland
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 01, 2012, 06:54:14 AM »

i was at this -- it was my first beach boys show, although i saw brian and his band last summer in grand rapids. the  Huh face i made at my girlfriend when they launched into "still cruisin" was made up for when we both started crying during "forever." great show, i'm still impressed they can crank out a show that long every night.

setlist:

Do It Again
Catch A Wave
Hawaii
Don't Back Down
Surfin' Safari
Surfer Girl
Come Go With Me
Why Do Fools Fall In Love?
When I Grow Up To Be A Man
Please Let Me Wonder
Wendy
Getcha Back (David lead)
And Then I Kissed Her
Disney Girls
Isn't It Time
Kiss Me Baby
California Saga (California)
Cottonfields
Be True To Your School
The Ballad of Ole Betsy (Scott Totten lead)
Still Cruisin'
Don't Worry Baby (Jeff lead)
Little Deuce Coupe
Shut Down
I Get Around

(intermission)

Pet Sounds (this was SO GOOD, david's guitar sounded amazing)
Add Some Music To Your Day
Heroes & Villains
Sloop John B
Wouldn't It Be Nice
I Just Wasn't Made For These Times
Sail On Sailor
All This Is That
That's Why God Made The Radio
In My Room
Forever
God Only Knows
Good Vibrations
California Girls
Help Me Rhonda
Rock & Roll Music
Do You Wanna Dance?
Surfin' USA

encore:

Kokomo
Barbara Ann
Fun Fun Fun

well oh my oh gosh oh gee
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: July 01, 2012, 07:00:18 AM »

Again from Facebook:

- Jack Rieley
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 01, 2012, 07:07:24 AM »

How old is Christian?
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 01, 2012, 07:11:52 AM »

How old is Christian?

BB Universe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 01, 2012, 08:24:10 AM »

At the Darien Lake show the music over the soundsystem pre concert and during the break was indeed interesting to listen too. I liked that several Cowsill songs were played - a nice touch.

Also, during Be True To Your School, in the video accompanying the song after pictures of the group in high school several logos from Buffalo local colleges were included. Has that been happening at other stops too?
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 01, 2012, 08:30:02 AM »

Speaking of Still Crusin', in the video, Matt Jardine and Jeff were in the band at the same time. Why? Was Matt just up there playing tambourines/bongos, or were he and Jeff sharing falsetto?

Matt joined the band in 1989 as a percussionist.  Took over falsetto in 1993.

These were some poor set list decisions last night.  Hopefully just a one off due to being in the motor city.  Better bring back Good Timin, Honda, Marcella, This Whole World.  Enough of Betsey.  Nobody really needs Still Cruisin' as a repalcement for anything. AND...WHAT HAPPENED TO OUR PRAYER AND DARLIN'Huh ARE THEY BANISHED FOREVER?
« Last Edit: July 01, 2012, 08:34:08 AM by southbay » Logged

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
southisland
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 01, 2012, 08:33:34 AM »

At the Darien Lake show the music over the soundsystem pre concert and during the break was indeed interesting to listen too. I liked that several Cowsill songs were played - a nice touch.

Also, during Be True To Your School, in the video accompanying the song after pictures of the group in high school several logos from Buffalo local colleges were included. Has that been happening at other stops too?

yeah, they did that at this show also. i think they showed wayne state (my school) and U of M.

well oh my oh gosh oh gee
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: July 01, 2012, 08:35:57 AM »

Enough of Betsey.  

I like boob
« Last Edit: July 01, 2012, 08:36:52 AM by Rocker » Logged

- Jack Rieley
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 01, 2012, 08:39:57 AM »

Dude is still looking pretty young, i'm amazed he still has hair tho. teehee.
TV Forces
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 01, 2012, 09:28:52 AM »

Review from the Detroit News:
http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20120701/OPINION03/207010315/Beach-Boys-50th-Anniversary-tour-catches-nostalgia-wave-DTE?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|FRONTPAGE

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: July 01, 2012, 09:48:30 AM »

Thank you TV Forces. This one is a classic:

- Jack Rieley
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 01, 2012, 10:44:03 AM »

You have to keep in mind that Mike linked "Still Cruisin'" with the Woodward Dream Cruise, a very popular annual event in Detroit that a lot of car-heads attend; this and "Ballad of Ole Betsy" (which mentions "Detroit" in the lyric) were probably included as a nod to the area. I should also add that Brian seemed really keen on singing back-up on "Still Cruisin'" and I actually enjoyed hearing this "rarity". Note that "Little Honda" was not played which the band may have thought could rile up local autoworkers (and there are quite a few around here who vehemently oppose imports)!

I never thought I'd say this, but I wish Mike's microphone was turned up louder; I had a lot of trouble hearing him in the mix and about 30% of his in-between song chatter was completely unintelligible.

Of course, I would have wanted to hear "Marcella" or "Our Prayer", but I had no problems with how the show played out. The second set is definitely designed to present the "art" side of the Beach Boys and it did this quite well. I was especially touched hearing Brian sing Carl's part on "All This Is That" (although Foskett does the falsetto at the end, of course). It was also interesting to hear how Brian adjusted his delivery of the second verse for "I Just Wasn't Made For These Times" so he could more smoothly hit the notes he struggled with in the first verse. Brian and everyone sounded fantastic on the title track to the new album - this went over really well with the crowd.

Overall, it was a great show; better than the last time I saw this band (1978  LOL). Having experienced Brian doing the deeper cuts over the past decade, I appreciated seeing the other guys showcasing their own songs, specifically Al doing "Cottonfields" and "Come Go With Me" and Bruce doing "Disney Girls".

It's possible that certain song selections were trimmed due to the curfew that DTE Energy Pavilion enforces (concerts must be concluded by 10:45 p.m. or something to that effect), but I didn't feel shortchanged in the least.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2012, 10:47:49 AM by Roger Ryan » Logged
TV Forces
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 01, 2012, 11:11:17 AM »

It's possible that certain song selections were trimmed due to the curfew that DTE Energy Pavilion enforces (concerts must be concluded by 10:45 p.m. or something to that effect), but I didn't feel shortchanged in the least.

They still played until 11 despite any 10:45 curfew.  I remember asking my wife what time it was during "Kokomo" and her cell phone said 10:50. 

47 songs!  Can't complain.  An amazing night.  Still on cloud 9. 
JanBerryFarm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 01, 2012, 11:31:57 AM »

Well. It's about time they got Brian off that damned pedestal. Get him down on the stage and make him one of the band.

~Hawaiian Shirts Are For Barneys~
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 01, 2012, 11:46:56 AM »

Well. It's about time they got Brian off that damned pedestal. Get him down on the stage and make him one of the band.

i believe bruce was on one too
JanBerryFarm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 01, 2012, 11:58:38 AM »

i believe bruce was on one too

Well. He needs to stay on a pedestal. IF you get my meaning.  LOL

~Hawaiian Shirts Are For Barneys~
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx