gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 02:46:47 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 98 99 100 101 102 [103] 104 Go Down Print
Author Topic: New Beach Boys 2012 Remasters!  (Read 566803 times)
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #2550 on: March 07, 2013, 05:12:02 PM »

we're coming up on spring!  Which is really close to summer

LIAR.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #2551 on: March 07, 2013, 06:02:39 PM »

I'm still struggling to deal with the fact they didn't remaster Wild Honey

Don't believe they found all the masters to do a proper stereo mix.

I've heard fantastic stereo mixes by fans sitting at home on a computer.

They could've done something

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #2552 on: March 07, 2013, 07:23:56 PM »

we're coming up on spring!  Which is really close to summer

LIAR.
That's right, I forgot.  No summer.  Sequestration.

Damn...

Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #2553 on: March 07, 2013, 07:30:00 PM »

I'll gladly wait if they have a "rough idea" where the Wild Honey masters are.  But if they're waiting to cure cancer and "discover them" ... well, that stinks.

Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #2554 on: March 07, 2013, 07:36:50 PM »

I'd be fine with them using what they had. Just so long as I don't have to keep seeing that gap in my collection.

Also - Safari, Christmas, Concert, Friends, & 20/20.

Don't leave me hanging, people! I want to give you my money!

And in the meantime, they could take my moneys and supply me some nice remasters of MIU, 15 Biguns, Love You, Holland, CATP, KTSA, BB85, SIP, and In Concert!!!!

Jimmie_R
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2555 on: March 11, 2013, 03:08:39 AM »

And no box set either... Sad
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #2556 on: May 13, 2013, 05:31:11 PM »

Bless whoever made the decision to tack on a few extra seconds to the California Girls coda Listening

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2557 on: May 13, 2013, 05:40:29 PM »

Can we still expect the second batch of remasters any time soon?  Wink
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2558 on: May 13, 2013, 07:59:08 PM »

I'm still waiting for the prices of these to go down before I buy any of them.

Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2559 on: May 13, 2013, 08:20:50 PM »

Can we still expect the second batch of remasters any time soon?  Wink

My guess is that there is either a second batch released around the same time as the box set, or that they don't do a second batch at alll.
jeffcdo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2560 on: May 13, 2013, 08:28:20 PM »

I'm still hoping for high res versions.
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #2561 on: May 14, 2013, 09:49:22 AM »

I'm not usually a guy to buy a different copy of an album if I already own it but the other day I was listening on my headphones to C&TP straight after playing a Frank Zappa album from the same time period and the difference in sound quality was like night and day. The Beach Boys album sounded so quiet and muffled by comparison. A nicely remastered C&TP and also Holland (which is very murky in places) is something I'd very much want to own.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2562 on: May 14, 2013, 10:04:59 AM »

I'm not usually a guy to buy a different copy of an album if I already own it but the other day I was listening on my headphones to C&TP straight after playing a Frank Zappa album from the same time period and the difference in sound quality was like night and day. The Beach Boys album sounded so quiet and muffled by comparison. A nicely remastered C&TP and also Holland (which is very murky in places) is something I'd very much want to own.
If you think the remastered CATP is quiet and muffled, then you ought to hear the Epic/Caribou CD release, or even worse, the original Brother/Reprise LP. It's just a bad sounding album.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2013, 10:06:03 AM by drbeachboy » Logged

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #2563 on: May 14, 2013, 10:27:23 AM »

If you think the remastered CATP is quiet and muffled, then you ought to hear the Epic/Caribou CD release, or even worse, the original Brother/Reprise LP. It's just a bad sounding album.

Can it be salvaged with modern technology?

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2564 on: May 14, 2013, 11:49:49 AM »

Well from the original LP to the 2001 remaster, it was salvaged. After 30 years of listening to the LP and first CD release, the 2001 CD sounds terrific. Not sure what else can be done.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
Theydon Bois
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2565 on: May 14, 2013, 04:35:27 PM »

The comparison is surely not helped by the fact that the latest batch of Zappa remasters on Universal are so absurdly awesome that they may as well be the gold standard for how to remaster albums.  Chunga's Revenge is like a whole new album compared to the Rykodisc CD.
WWDWD?
Smiley Smile Associate

What would Dennis Wilson do?

View Profile
« Reply #2566 on: May 14, 2013, 05:20:17 PM »

I love the sound of this album. It's amazing!
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2567 on: May 14, 2013, 05:35:35 PM »

2001 remasters are generally way too loud.

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Amazing Larry
Smiley Smile Associate

There's a new daddy in town...

View Profile
« Reply #2568 on: May 15, 2013, 01:04:03 AM »

1962-1969, definitely, but everything after that is mastered at a reasonable level.

A discipline daddy.
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2569 on: May 15, 2013, 02:03:13 AM »

Well from the original LP to the 2001 remaster, it was salvaged. After 30 years of listening to the LP and first CD release, the 2001 CD sounds terrific. Not sure what else can be done.

Absolutely. I was utterly astonished by how good the 2001 CD sounded in comparison to the vinyl, or to those songs on the GV box.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2570 on: May 15, 2013, 06:33:03 AM »

Absolutely. I was utterly astonished by how good the 2001 CD sounded in comparison to the vinyl, or to those songs on the GV box.
1962-1969, definitely, but everything after that is mastered at a reasonable level.

Those CDs are a bit bright, but they are not loud or brickwalled. If you convert and listen to them in HDCD they are even less loud than when playing on a normal CD player.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2571 on: May 16, 2013, 02:31:18 PM »

Not brickwalled, but still limited/compressed more than I'd like. DO IT RIGHT OR GO HOME.

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2572 on: May 16, 2013, 03:38:28 PM »

Not brickwalled, but still limited/compressed more than I'd like. DO IT RIGHT OR GO HOME.
and you don't think either was used on the original releases or 45s? I think they sound fine. I never had any complaints about any of the Y2K releases, except Sounds Of Summer. Now, that sounds like sh*t!

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
bluesno1fann
« Reply #2573 on: July 11, 2013, 03:43:43 PM »

They look exactly like the beatles reissues. But wheres wild honey and friends!!!! I dont need surfin usa or sufari!

Surfin' Safari was actually excluded lol
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2574 on: July 12, 2013, 06:13:23 PM »

I finally bought all of these over the last few months (except for Sunflower and Surf's Up, I'm sticking with the twofer).  It looked like they were going to go out of stock quickly on Amazon so I just went for it.  I think they're great but the only thing that bothers me is lack of liner notes.  The booklets for the twofers were so detailed, I mean they couldn't even use the 2001 liner notes for Pet Sounds (not that I personally need them as I have the Sessions box set).

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 98 99 100 101 102 [103] 104 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx