gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680742 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 18, 2024, 04:48:55 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 94 95 96 97 98 [99] 100 101 102 103 104 Go Down Print
Author Topic: New Beach Boys 2012 Remasters!  (Read 570221 times)
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2450 on: October 21, 2012, 04:46:38 AM »

I kinda think Linett made these stereo in a 1960s sense.  I feel like the Please Let Me Wonder stereo mix on summer love songs is a lot wider than the remaster.  But then again Kiss Me Baby remaster is super wide and sounds great.  I think that's where the difference is between the Pet Sounds stereo and the remasters for Today.  PS was given a more modern stereo, while Today is a stereo mix of the 60s. 

And yeah I agree SDSN is hit or miss, but I'm probably just so enthused with the Let Him Run remaster, much better than the Warmth of the Sun Mix. 

Also, the mono remasters are killer too.  PLMW has never sounded so clear in mono.
tansen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2451 on: October 21, 2012, 04:55:30 AM »

I don't understand how anyone can say that Today sounds amazing. Some of the stereo tracks work okay, but really, the stereo portion of the album is a hit and miss in my opinion. Smiley Smile on the other hand..

Today was a mess in mono, too much happening for such a closed mix, it needed stereo.

You misunderstand. It's not about needing stereo or not, I just don't think the sound (e.g. overall EQ settings, compression, etc) of most of the stereo mixes on Today are very good.

Tansen - "He Who Commands an Army of Notes"
sockittome
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2452 on: October 21, 2012, 09:29:08 AM »

I don't understand how anyone can say that Today sounds amazing. Some of the stereo tracks work okay, but really, the stereo portion of the album is a hit and miss in my opinion. Smiley Smile on the other hand..

Today was a mess in mono, too much happening for such a closed mix, it needed stereo.

You misunderstand. It's not about needing stereo or not, I just don't think the sound (e.g. overall EQ settings, compression, etc) of most of the stereo mixes on Today are very good.

Maybe we all need to list the equipment we are listening on in our profiles, like they do over on the Hoffy board!  Tongue
Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #2453 on: October 21, 2012, 10:52:45 AM »

Whether at home or in the car I have to turn the treble down halfway in order to play these discs.

But I am grateful to have the early monos. Been listening to nothing but mono Surfin' USA through All Summer Long for the past 2 weeks.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2454 on: October 21, 2012, 11:10:13 AM »

Been listening to nothing but mono Surfin' USA through All Summer Long for the past 2 weeks.
Sounds like Heaven. Cool

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2455 on: October 21, 2012, 11:52:14 AM »

I was going to buy a couple of these and then I saw that the Surf's Up album has a "Brian's Back"-era promo shot on the back. Makes it all look a little cheap and you'd think there really should've been enough early-70s shots of the group to choose from...

Yeah they probably should have used this one:

RadBooley
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2456 on: October 21, 2012, 12:41:37 PM »

I was going to buy a couple of these and then I saw that the Surf's Up album has a "Brian's Back"-era promo shot on the back. Makes it all look a little cheap and you'd think there really should've been enough early-70s shots of the group to choose from...

Yeah they probably should have used this one:

...Ringo?  LOL
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2457 on: October 21, 2012, 12:44:11 PM »

I doubt any of the four living Beach Boys would want that picture on the back of a cd cover!

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #2458 on: October 21, 2012, 12:45:53 PM »

It's such a great picture though.

Sums up the 70s Beach Boys for me.

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2459 on: October 21, 2012, 01:09:10 PM »

This is a better one.  They could have used this one.

« Last Edit: October 21, 2012, 01:52:00 PM by Rocky Raccoon » Logged

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2460 on: October 21, 2012, 01:22:00 PM »

Which one?

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #2461 on: October 21, 2012, 01:44:39 PM »

The Boys as ghosts I guess

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2462 on: October 21, 2012, 01:50:40 PM »

Just picked up Sunflower (I never got the 2009 when it came out).

Love it so far. Early in so far but one thing that has stood out are the drums.
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2463 on: October 21, 2012, 03:25:48 PM »

I heard the new Sunflower today. While there is a new found depth to the sound, are you finding it really bright???

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2464 on: October 21, 2012, 11:37:43 PM »

I heard the new Sunflower today. While there is a new found depth to the sound, are you finding it really bright???

I found both the new Sunflower and Surf's Up as somewhat hissy when listening on headphones. 

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
Nathan Snyder
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2465 on: October 22, 2012, 04:59:40 AM »

Just wanted to add my two cents regarding these releases.  I don’t throw the ‘audiophile’ term around lightly, so I won’t go there, but I can say that sound is of the utmost importance to me.  I’m one of the geeks that cares about file formats (aiff vs wav vs flac & ALAC….even though they’re all lossless, differences in the encoding/decoding, etc.) and CD players and speakers/headphones. (I use sony v6’s, the studio standard and Grado SR-80’s) ANYWAYS……….Posts and reviews and comments on this board and MORESO Steve Hoffman’s website really deterred me from buying these 12 new remasters along with Fifty Big Ones.  I’d like to say that my Beach Boys CD/vinyl collection is pretty complete so this was a departure for me not buying them all on release date, but with money tight I just couldn’t justify buying everything I already have especially with lots of talk of severe brightness, washed out instrumentation for exaggerated vocals, better stereo versions on past complications, flimsy crappy packages, poor cover art scans…..you get the point.  I few days ago, I was pulled into my old ways and bought the entire group.  You know, you learn in life that comments like, “unlistenable”, “totally unacceptable” are foolish to believe just like the kid that told you that teacher is the worst and it turns out to be your favorite.  Case in point, these releases are great.  I’m super happy with each one for various reasons.  I love the sound, I don’t adjust my treble knob, the clarity is great, the mono albums are fantastic, the stereo versions are their own category of beautiful, the new compilation is exciting and I’m already RE-appreciating each album in its own sense more so than when I had to click up to track 13 just to start half their catalog with the twofers.  The packaging is cool, bright, has all the info I need and looks nice.  Sunflower and Surf’s Up are worthy upgrades and I do hear some differences in clarity.  That’s really all I have to say.  I’m not discounting the opinions of others, but I do wish to let those on the fence know that you might as well buy ‘em and prepare to enjoy this great music again!  Now how to explain to my wife that I own Pet Sounds 12 times……..
Outtasight!
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2466 on: October 22, 2012, 05:34:23 AM »

Just to throw in my tupence worth. I am loving the remasters. I won't be buying Pet Sounds immediately as I just can't justify buying it again but the others have been worth the purchase. At first I was a little dubious as I was so used to the sound of the two-fers and struggled to appreciate the remasters. However by the third or fourth listen I was loving them. The step up in quality is appreciable. I'm loving the mono mixes previously unavailable on cd and some of the stereo mixes (Smiley in particular) do exactly what they should, ie give us a new way of looking at/listening to these recordings. The packaging is sh*t though. 
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #2467 on: October 22, 2012, 06:20:39 AM »

Now how to explain to my wife that I own Pet Sounds 12 times…

This. We need some kind of help group for this very issue. Nathan and I can't be the only ones who have to justify this kind of behaviour, especially when times are hard.  Any therapists/counsellors among our throng?

“We live in divisive times.”
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #2468 on: October 22, 2012, 06:41:21 AM »

This. We need some kind of help group for this very issue. Nathan and I can't be the only ones who have to justify this kind of behaviour, especially when times are hard.  Any therapists/counsellors among our throng?

Me too.  I'm going to pick up the remaining remasters I need today.  I can't guarantee I'm going to be wise and smart and NOT buy Pet Sounds again.  I just assume that the remaining remasters are coming... and I won't stand for having PS missing from the line-up.  Totally irrational...I know.  But I never liked how my twofers were "complete" but PS had it's own thing.  I think it would be even MORE pronounced in this collection of every album, mono/stereo -- whereas the twofers were all grouped up anyway.

This is total collector's BS, I know.  But some of that certainly is at play with all of us to some degree by now.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2012, 06:44:47 AM by Bean Bag » Logged

Nathan Snyder
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2469 on: October 22, 2012, 07:29:09 AM »

This. We need some kind of help group for this very issue. Nathan and I can't be the only ones who have to justify this kind of behaviour, especially when times are hard.  Any therapists/counsellors among our throng?

Step One:  I open her closet door and show her the vast collection of bags and shoes.  Cloth bags, vinyl bags, leather, felt, shiney, dull, colorful, compact, large bags, totes, purses, baskets, cases, on and on and on.  High heels, shoes, sneakers, slip ons, boots, flats, etc, etc, etc.  Women love bags.  Women love shoes.  Can't get enough of them.  Women buy bags to put things in bags in and those objects within that bags are in nice compact cases.  I'm fine with it and we're both happy. 
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #2470 on: October 22, 2012, 07:32:08 AM »

I have to imagine the new stereo Pet Sounds is extremely similar to the MFSL version release a mere six months ago, but with a bit more compression. These remasters have been surprisingly decent with not overdoing compression (most of the time), don't get me wrong, it's just that I doubt it's better than the MFSL in that department.

There's likely a better release for the mono, too. This combined with owning a copy already and the insistence upon always using the poor "restoration" version of the stereo "Wouldn't It Be Nice?" are discouragement enough for me. If yer a completist, though...
« Last Edit: October 22, 2012, 07:38:30 AM by runnersdialzero! » Logged

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2471 on: October 22, 2012, 07:57:10 AM »

I'm sticking with my Pet Sounds box set.  It's the most complete version of the album, it sounds good enough to my ears, I don't need another version.

Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #2472 on: October 22, 2012, 08:38:47 AM »

I'm sticking with my Pet Sounds box set.  It's the most complete version of the album, it sounds good enough to my ears, I don't need another version.

yeah, I find that the best sounding Mono mix on CD

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2473 on: October 22, 2012, 08:50:53 AM »

I'm sticking with my Pet Sounds box set.  It's the most complete version of the album, it sounds good enough to my ears, I don't need another version.

yeah, I find that the best sounding Mono mix on CD
Funny, I have so many releases of Pet Sounds and yet I find that box set mono disc to be the worst of the bunch. It is so tinny sounding that I feel like I am listening to it through a transistor radio. Of all CD releases in mono, Hoffman's  DCC is still the best. It also has the best sounding Wouldn't It Be Nice on CD & vinyl.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2012, 08:51:49 AM by drbeachboy » Logged

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #2474 on: October 22, 2012, 08:51:09 AM »

My biggest complaint is that the text is slightly squashed on the spine of Summer Days (And Summer Nights!!) LOL

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 94 95 96 97 98 [99] 100 101 102 103 104 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx