gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680853 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 28, 2024, 07:31:08 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 88 89 90 91 92 [93] 94 95 96 97 98 ... 104 Go Down Print
Author Topic: New Beach Boys 2012 Remasters!  (Read 571270 times)
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2300 on: October 11, 2012, 10:31:07 AM »

Okay, this will probably derail the current vibe of the thread, but I just got three of the mono/stereo twofers delivered to my door. So far I've only listened to the stereo Summer Days..., as I've been looking forward to hearing that for quite a long time.

Overall, it sounds like they added reverb. A LOT of reverb. Part of me wants to say that maybe the reverb was ALWAYS there but just not as audible in mono, but some of it sounds like there was just too much there to have been naturally there to begin with....way too wet! But here's my track-by-track....

"The Girl From New York City" -- GREAT!!

"Amusement Parks U.S.A" -- very little, if any, stereo separation in backing track, and in fact the backing track just might be mono! (I'll try to OOPS it later to confirm.) The EQ is weird -- just lows and middles on the backing track with hardly any highs, and the vocals are all MIDDLE. Brian's hysterical laughing is hard to hear. Seems like a LOT of reverb may have been added to the vocals.

"Then I Kissed Her" - good EQ that could use a bit more bass, but vocal sounds a lot wetter than the mono. Is that added reverb, or reverb that was masked by the mono mix? Hard to tell.

"Salt Lake City" -- very nice mix, but there's a ton of reverb EVERYWHERE.

"Girl, Don't Tell Me" -- This is one of the best-sounding of the bunch. Backing track seems to have slightly more reverb than before, but vocals don't sound any more reverbed than before. Vocals sound mono but the mixing and mastering make the "when I came up to stay with my gran" lyrics noticeably clearer.

"Help Me, Rhonda" -- VERY faithful to the mono. Very bright, very energetic mix. Actually improves the song while being very faithful to the original mix! I used to hate this version of the song, preferring the Today! version…now I love it! Crunch sound after "Help me, Rhonda, yeah" is gone.

"California Girls" -- We've had, what, two or three of these mixes so far? Can't tell which one it is. Sounds good, but much wetter than it should be. Sometimes the volume of the vocals is at war with the volume of the backing track. Still good, though, and worthy of playing loud.

"Let Him Run Wild" -- I know this mix was released before, but…this wasn't the mind-blowing stereo mix I was hoping for for years. Again, there's a ton of reverb that sounds too unnatural to be a remnant of the original mix, and there's way too much middle in the EQ and not enough bass. Still would be interesting to hear a vocals-only on this.

"You're So Good To Me" -- too much middle on the EQ. Vocals are slightly too loud, and the lead guitar is WAY too loud while the other non-drum instruments are barely audible.

"Summer Means New Love" -- very nice mix. Some piano parts at the end that you don't hear in the mono mix come out.

"I'm Bugged At My Ol' Man" -- again with the reverb! Might have been original reverb that wasn't as noticeable in mono, though.

"And Your Dream Comes True" -- another one that I know was out in stereo before. Wow…the guys sound like they're right there in front of you! Very nice.

Believe it or not, though, despite my seemingly harsh critique, I actually enjoyed the listen...

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2301 on: October 11, 2012, 10:43:25 AM »

I still don't know what reverb is but I think I'm ok with that lol. 

I also gotta give props to some of these mono mixes because they sound amazing. 

I skipped out on getting 50BO though.  I wanna see what's going to be on the box set first.
LetHimRun
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2302 on: October 11, 2012, 11:02:03 AM »

I also gotta give props to some of these mono mixes because they sound amazing. 

I skipped out on getting 50BO though.  I wanna see what's going to be on the box set first.

Reverb is like echo but with much smaller gaps between each echo. A good example is the 2:55 mark in Good Vibrations when the guys' voices stop, but you hear the reverb from in the studio of the echos bouncing around.
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2303 on: October 11, 2012, 11:05:45 AM »

Think Elvis' voice on Blue Moon.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #2304 on: October 11, 2012, 11:09:33 AM »

Overall, it sounds like they added reverb. A LOT of reverb. Part of me wants to say that maybe the reverb was ALWAYS t

I'm not a fan of the stereo-remix trip in general, but on listening to the new ones, I found the digital reverb pretty much unlistenable. I couldn't believe the degree to which it soaks nearly every mix on both Today and Summer Days. Listen to the break in Bugged At My Ol' Man, in the silence after the stop, and how that digital reverb leaves an aural grease-slide across the speakers. I couldn't believe it.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2305 on: October 11, 2012, 11:11:22 AM »

OMG, they're >>>>>>STILL<<<<<<< using the mid-80's budget reissue cover for Surfin' USA!!!

Hey, Beach Boys/Capitol staff, if you can't find an original 1963 Surfin' USA cover that lists "Surf Jam" and "Stoked" at the bottom, I HAVE ONE!!!!!!!! YOU MAY BORROW IT IF YOU WANT!!!!!!!
« Last Edit: October 11, 2012, 11:12:45 AM by 37!ws » Logged

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #2306 on: October 11, 2012, 12:20:09 PM »

"Summer Means New Love" -- very nice mix. Some piano parts at the end that you don't hear in the mono mix come out.

That's only because the guitar disappears completely.

It was there on the Pet Sounds DVD-A mix. What happened?

mrralan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2307 on: October 11, 2012, 02:45:01 PM »

2 Questions...

1) Can someone with the new Surf's Up tell me if the out-of-sync vocal on the first verse of "Take A Load Off Your Feet" has been corrected?

2) Has anyone noticed the missing Darlin vocal of Carl's towards the end of "Darlin'"?
Jason
« Reply #2308 on: October 11, 2012, 02:47:33 PM »

On the first count, I don't think it would be corrected as it would require remixing the track.

Second count...YES! But Mark Linett was saying that the vocal tape situation for the Wild Honey album is rather unflattering with regards to stereo remixes.
KokoNO
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2309 on: October 11, 2012, 02:59:06 PM »

The Beatles remasters corrected virtually all of the mistakes. They weren't remixed though (well, except for Help/Rubber Soul since the remastered ones are the 1988 remixes).

My sources tell me that we might have a remastered version of The Smile Sessions before Christmas. There's been a lot of evolution in studio mastering technology over the last year.  Cool Guy
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #2310 on: October 11, 2012, 03:02:52 PM »

« Last Edit: October 11, 2012, 03:18:37 PM by buddhahat » Logged

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #2311 on: October 11, 2012, 03:13:54 PM »

Fun Fun Fun into Don't Worry Baby. Just.....holy crap. Then that In The Parkin' Lot intro and the jump to the uptempo verse. Jumpin' Jehosephat JW Clyde on a flaming pogo stick in Tulsa, these cats were incredible. Whew.

I've never had a massive attachment to this album but I bought a 1st pressing mono LP recently and it was one of the best vinyl experiences I've ever had. Those 1st three tracks and Warmth of The Sun particularly just sound incredible.

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
Gohi
« Reply #2312 on: October 11, 2012, 03:21:09 PM »

My sources tell me that we might have a remastered version of The Smile Sessions before Christmas. There's been a lot of evolution in studio mastering technology over the last year.  Cool Guy
What?
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2313 on: October 11, 2012, 03:25:01 PM »

What?

He was making a joke.
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2314 on: October 11, 2012, 08:49:16 PM »

Fun Fun Fun into Don't Worry Baby. Just.....holy crap. Then that In The Parkin' Lot intro and the jump to the uptempo verse. Jumpin' Jehosephat JW Clyde on a flaming pogo stick in Tulsa, these cats were incredible. Whew.

I've never had a massive attachment to this album but I bought a 1st pressing mono LP recently

Envy!!! Shocked

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2315 on: October 11, 2012, 08:53:30 PM »

1) Can someone with the new Surf's Up tell me if the out-of-sync vocal on the first verse of "Take A Load Off Your Feet" has been corrected?

Never realized it was ever out of sync to begin with...

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #2316 on: October 11, 2012, 08:56:36 PM »

I've never had a massive attachment to this album but I bought a 1st pressing mono LP recently and it was one of the best vinyl experiences I've ever had. Those 1st three tracks and Warmth of The Sun particularly just sound incredible.

Right on, man. I gotta say I even got into Shut Down Part 2, it sounds so damn heavy.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2317 on: October 11, 2012, 09:11:47 PM »

The Beatles remasters corrected virtually all of the mistakes. They weren't remixed though (well, except for Help/Rubber Soul since the remastered ones are the 1988 remixes).

Let's see..I've been listening to those remasters for three years....
- The drop-out on "Day Tripper" is still there.
- The "puppy dog" mistake on the mono "Matchbox" is still there.
- The cough in the mono "Norwegian Wood" is still there.
- The harmonica drop-out in the stereo "I Should Have Known Better" certainly wasn't corrected.
- The out-of-sync double-tracking in the beginning of the stereo "If I Fell" is still there.
- Paul's voice still drops out in the second bridge of the stereo "If I Fell."
- The mono "Don't Pass Me By" still plays at the wrong speed and has the violin mistake.
- The mono "Good Morning, Good Morning" / "Sgt. Pepper's...(reprise)" still has the sloppy transition.
- There's still a messy guitar flub at the beginning of the mono "I Call Your Name."
- Yellow Submarine still has the George Martin Orchestra tracks.
- The "She Loves You" edits are just as noticeable.

What mistakes were corrected?
« Last Edit: October 12, 2012, 10:51:49 AM by 37!ws » Logged

Ebb and Flow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2318 on: October 11, 2012, 09:23:10 PM »

That's only because the guitar disappears completely.

It was there on the Pet Sounds DVD-A mix. What happened?

I don't know what the exact situation is with this, but Brian's mono mix left out the piano part entirely (sounds like it might have been an overdub that ended up being unused on the final mix) and Linnett's 2012 mix left it in and mixed out part of the guitar to highlight it.  

I don't mind the new mix, but it's odd that they'd include such a revisionist mix on the first ever stereo release of the album.
GhostyTMRS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2319 on: October 11, 2012, 09:35:35 PM »

Can't say I'm thrilled about the packaging to these things (no-frills indeed!) and the cover to "Summer Days"...looks hoddy compared to my Two-Fer CD..

..that said, if anything, these "stereo" remixes give me an opportunity to listen to stuff I've heard a million times with new ears!

I'm all for putting out the entire catalog. I don't like this selective nonsense of just albums that are deemed "worthy" getting rereleased that's been floating around here. Thinking like that is part of the reason why albums like "Love You" and "Friends" weren't available for years
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2320 on: October 11, 2012, 09:52:19 PM »

I'm all for putting out the entire catalog. I don't like this selective nonsense of just albums that are deemed "worthy" getting rereleased that's been floating around here. Thinking like that is part of the reason why albums like "Love You" and "Friends" weren't available for years

Agreed. I tried typing out something expanding upon that, but you really got it perfect.
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #2321 on: October 11, 2012, 10:50:54 PM »

Let's see..I've been listening to those remasters for three years....

- Yellow Submarine still has the George Martin Orchestra tracks.

What mistakes were corrected?

LOL

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
Quzi
Smiley Smile Associate

Eagerly awaiting tHe BeDRoOM TaPES

View Profile
« Reply #2322 on: October 11, 2012, 11:56:05 PM »

Here's Girl Don't Tell Me's stereo mix complete with a sneaky edit I did that may annoy purists, but helps avoid the rest of the song being dragged down by one silly lyric LOL
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXIK68LOBXY
« Last Edit: October 11, 2012, 11:58:29 PM by Quzi » Logged

"A/S/L"?
"Age:24. That's when Brian Wilson made Pet Sounds. Sex: Brian Wilson was having loads of sex with Marilyn when he made Pet Sounds. Location: Gold Star Studios, where Brian Wilson assembled with the Wrecking Crew to make Pet Sounds. Hbu?"
Quzi
Smiley Smile Associate

Eagerly awaiting tHe BeDRoOM TaPES

View Profile
« Reply #2323 on: October 12, 2012, 02:21:14 AM »

Whoops, accidently set the video to "private" instead of "unlisted"  Roll Eyes It should work now though Smiley

"A/S/L"?
"Age:24. That's when Brian Wilson made Pet Sounds. Sex: Brian Wilson was having loads of sex with Marilyn when he made Pet Sounds. Location: Gold Star Studios, where Brian Wilson assembled with the Wrecking Crew to make Pet Sounds. Hbu?"
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2324 on: October 12, 2012, 04:58:04 AM »

On the first count, I don't think it would be corrected as it would require remixing the track.

Second count...YES! But Mark Linett was saying that the vocal tape situation for the Wild Honey album is rather unflattering with regards to stereo remixes.

Tbh, if the backing tracks are all stereo, they can just as well release the backing tracks with the mono vocals on top. I mean, Good To My Baby is more or less just that. So is All Summer Long (song) and a whole lotta others. I fail to see the prob witth just releasing what is possible to release. I don't think there will be a prob, we should see a release soon hopefully!
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 88 89 90 91 92 [93] 94 95 96 97 98 ... 104 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx