gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680752 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 02:09:52 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 78 79 80 81 82 [83] 84 85 86 87 88 ... 104 Go Down Print
Author Topic: New Beach Boys 2012 Remasters!  (Read 570419 times)
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2050 on: September 24, 2012, 08:03:43 PM »

the only standalone (non-twofer, 11 tracks) Smiley Smile on my spotify is dated 1967.

Weeeelll, it's up there for me

Guess they are still workin' on making it available in different countries? anyway the stereo sounds amazing.

not available in US. sigh.
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2051 on: September 24, 2012, 08:09:13 PM »

well we can listen to Good Vibrations (mono) and Heroes and Villains (stereo).  The album art changes to endless summer and hawthorne respectively though.  I'm not sure if these are actually from those albums...the good vibrations sounds better than TSS.
halblaineisgood
« Reply #2052 on: September 24, 2012, 08:29:29 PM »

Don't get me wrong - while I don't call myself an audiophile given the implications that come with such a title...

Do any "audiophiles" even self apply that label ? It does seem tainted and shameful. it's like saying "Hey, I'm a Rich Old White Dude, who has an expensive hard copy music collection and a state of the art playback system where Cost Is No Object , and that is the Only Way To Listen To This Music!

runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #2053 on: September 24, 2012, 08:35:44 PM »

Don't get me wrong - while I don't call myself an audiophile given the implications that come with such a title...

Do any "audiophiles" even self apply that label ? It does seem tainted and shameful. it's like saying "Hey, I'm a Rich Old White Dude, who has an expensive hard copy music collection and a state of the art playback system where Cost Is No Object , and that is the Only Way To Listen To This Music!

I've seen plenty of people call themselves an audiophile. As with any label, there are varying degrees, and if I were such a thing, I'd put myself much more toward the lax side of being one. I just sang the praises of MP3 players, after all. I am a poor young white dude ;(

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #2054 on: September 24, 2012, 09:01:42 PM »

the only standalone (non-twofer, 11 tracks) Smiley Smile on my spotify is dated 1967.

Guess they are still workin' on making it available in different countries? anyway the stereo sounds amazing.

Won't be available here until the official release date. Makes sense, doesn't it?

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
halblaineisgood
« Reply #2055 on: September 24, 2012, 09:03:22 PM »

I've seen plenty of people call themselves an audiophile. As with any label, there are varying degrees, and if I were such a thing, I'd put myself much more toward the lax side of being one. I just sang the praises of MP3 players, after all. I am a poor young white dude ;(

As far as singing the praises of Mp3 players, you did a hell of a job! You made me wish I was organized, and not a disorganized hoarder when it comes to digital music.

And, I'll admit that I fancy vintage speakers, but I too, would never ever call myself an "audiophile". I would perhaps label myself an "enthusiast" if I had the money for said speakers. Much more dignified a term that is, enthusiast. Yup. I appreciate good sounding speakers If I can get 'em (or sh*tty sounding ones if I can't). In fact, I can appreciate an original LP just as much as I can an Mp3. Ever heard a 128Mp3 through a 50's tube amp? I reckon I could fool folks into thinking it was a disc on my decoy turntable!
« Last Edit: September 24, 2012, 09:09:41 PM by halblaineisgood » Logged
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2056 on: September 24, 2012, 09:32:23 PM »

It was your link I clicked on the first time which confirmed to me, as I have stated, the remasters are not available yet in America.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2057 on: September 24, 2012, 09:40:09 PM »

Won't be available here until the official release date. Makes sense, doesn't it?

Wasn't aware they had been released outside Japan yet.  I SEE.
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #2058 on: September 25, 2012, 01:28:26 AM »

I don't get the aversion to, of all things, the CD format.

Don't get me wrong - while I don't call myself an audiophile given the implications that come with such a title, I care a great deal about sound quality and the preservation of sound quality, I care about dynamics, and I heard all the stuff monicker posted about in regards to The Smile Sessions last year before he posted about it and that everyone attacked him for and yes, some of them were distracting to me. I have decent ears. I like the vinyl format, I like all formats and feel that all have their pros and cons and, barring stuff like 8-track and cassette (although I can appreciate those for nostalgic value), kind of even out when you stack them up against one another. Sound quality, packaging, convenience, all things considered, all formats have their place and can be appreciated for the advantages they have over other formats.

Just sayin' - you occasionally see a post around these parts that has a very slight "I mostly listen to vinyl, thus my appreciation for music is deeper than that of someone who doesn't primarily listen to vinyl" vibe and I don't get that.

Not sure if this was a reaction to my or Bergenwhitemoustache's posts or both, but personally I would hate to be pushing the Hoffmanite audiophile agenda here. I don't think either of us were suggesting we had a deeper appreciation for music - just that there's a lot to be said for the physical experience of playing and collecting records, and that they're arguably prettier than cds, aged or otherwise, especially when stacked.

I'd be surprised if anybody here didn't appreciate the convenience of mp3s, and the advantages they have over vinyl. I was the one bemoaning CDs but I'm open minded about it. If I can rig a cd player up direct to my amp and it sounds better than the mp3s, that would get me back into them.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2012, 01:31:04 AM by buddhahat » Logged

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
Billgoodman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2059 on: September 25, 2012, 02:18:46 AM »

Take the intro of Amusement Parks U.S.A., I have never heard the percussion and organmelody on the mono mix. The stereo mix takes the song to a new level. And when I listen to the mono mix now, I DO hear those parts.

It's funny you say that, because the instrumental track sounds pretty 'locked' in mono in the center.

I know, I know. But the new stereo version just gives so much space that I'm hearing new things for the first time. For instance, the bridge of Wonderful. I never heard or paid attention to Mike's line, in the stereo version it's very clear.  Things like that I can now also hear when listening to the old mix. I'm not implying that the mono mix is any different now, if that's what you thought.
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #2060 on: September 25, 2012, 02:39:57 AM »

Take the intro of Amusement Parks U.S.A., I have never heard the percussion and organmelody on the mono mix. The stereo mix takes the song to a new level. And when I listen to the mono mix now, I DO hear those parts.

It's funny you say that, because the instrumental track sounds pretty 'locked' in mono in the center.

I know, I know. But the new stereo version just gives so much space that I'm hearing new things for the first time. For instance, the bridge of Wonderful. I never heard or paid attention to Mike's line, in the stereo version it's very clear.  Things like that I can now also hear when listening to the old mix. I'm not implying that the mono mix is any different now, if that's what you thought.

I totally agree. The bridge to Wonderful struck me too, but it was a different part that seemed new i.e. Carl's(?) subtle little counterpoint do-do-do-do-do-do scat. I have never noticed that, but now I go back to the mono and of course it's there although it's pretty buried and easy to miss. Some of this is down to increased scrutiny because I know these mixes are new, but I do get the sense that new pieces are revealed more clearly through these new mixes. That scat part is great too - it's all I listen to now during the bridge!

The percussion part in Amusement Parks struck me too, although I'm undecided whether it's distracting or if I'll grow to love it. I found the tambourine in the new stereo mix of Dear Prudence similarly over prominent to begin with but I got used to it quickly enough.

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2061 on: September 25, 2012, 02:41:34 AM »

I digged Smiley, but for some reason they didn't use the Heroes and Villains rerecorded verse backing track in stereo, which is available on TSS, I felt they coulda done that... Also the SWOOOSH at 2.07 is very low.... Guess I'm as bad as Brian with getting Heroes right...
tansen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2062 on: September 25, 2012, 03:29:09 AM »

I don't get the aversion to, of all things, the CD format.

Don't get me wrong - while I don't call myself an audiophile given the implications that come with such a title, I care a great deal about sound quality and the preservation of sound quality, I care about dynamics, and I heard all the stuff monicker posted about in regards to The Smile Sessions last year before he posted about it and that everyone attacked him for and yes, some of them were distracting to me. I have decent ears. I like the vinyl format, I like all formats and feel that all have their pros and cons and, barring stuff like 8-track and cassette (although I can appreciate those for nostalgic value), kind of even out when you stack them up against one another. Sound quality, packaging, convenience, all things considered, all formats have their place and can be appreciated for the advantages they have over other formats.

Just sayin' - you occasionally see a post around these parts that has a very slight "I mostly listen to vinyl, thus my appreciation for music is deeper than that of someone who doesn't primarily listen to vinyl" vibe and I don't get that.

Not sure if this was a reaction to my or Bergenwhitemoustache's posts or both, but personally I would hate to be pushing the Hoffmanite audiophile agenda here. I don't think either of us were suggesting we had a deeper appreciation for music - just that there's a lot to be said for the physical experience of playing and collecting records, and that they're arguably prettier than cds, aged or otherwise, especially when stacked.

I'd be surprised if anybody here didn't appreciate the convenience of mp3s, and the advantages they have over vinyl. I was the one bemoaning CDs but I'm open minded about it. If I can rig a cd player up direct to my amp and it sounds better than the mp3s, that would get me back into them.

If your ears are "good enough", it most certainly will sound better.

Personally, I'm kind of like runners, I'm pre-occupied about sound quality (and I should be, having a sound technology degree), but am by no means an audiophile. It seems to me that audiophiles do not really listen to music for pleasure, but rather to audio, or more specifically the quality of the audio. Like I said, sound quality is important to me, but I listen to music because I love music, and not because I love good sound quality.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2012, 12:01:36 PM by tansen » Logged

Tansen - "He Who Commands an Army of Notes"
Paulos
« Reply #2063 on: September 25, 2012, 04:02:08 AM »

Good lord, just listened to snippets of stereo Smiley Smile on itunes, it sounds absolutely fantastic!
BergenWhitesMoustache
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2064 on: September 25, 2012, 04:56:22 AM »

Audiophile is a really awful tag isn't it! Wink

My best friend is a hi fi nut, owns a Garrad 301 and a Leak Stereo 20, but his mono switch is firmly depressed, and he always has the thing cranked up, listening to Lo Fi garage 45s recorded in some shack.

I get the impression audiophiles use their pristine sounding setups to listen to half speed mastered classic rock crap...Phil Collins...The Eagles...yuck.

I always zone out when talk on here turns to new masterings of Beach Boys stuff. Stereo mixes I'll listen to with open ears, but no amount of remastering is going to beat the lovely original pressings, and besides, there are other records in the world. Even though they are my favourite band, given the choice between spending a hundred quid on slightly different sounding Beach Boys lps I've already got, or spending the same amount on other records, the latter would win, every time.

sea of tunes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2065 on: September 25, 2012, 05:53:56 AM »

How is this for an oddity...  iTunes has "Holland" listed as '(Remastered)' and with today's date as a release date. 

Yet it isn't part of the re-issue campaign.  So strange.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/album/holland-remastered/id560705818

Husband. Father. Quadragenarian.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #2066 on: September 25, 2012, 06:04:29 AM »

Very strange:

"Released: Sep 21, 2012
℗ 2012 Brother Records, Inc., under exclusive license to Capitol Records, LLC. All rights reserved. Unauthorized reproduction is a violation of applicable laws. Manufactured by Capitol Catalog, 1750 North Vine Street, Hollywood, CA 90028."

“We live in divisive times.”
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2067 on: September 25, 2012, 06:26:15 AM »

How is this for an oddity...  iTunes has "Holland" listed as '(Remastered)' and with today's date as a release date. 

Yet it isn't part of the re-issue campaign.  So strange.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/album/holland-remastered/id560705818

I don't know if it's any help, but the Spotify link for Holland on the previous page takes you to them having re-upped Holland as a standalone, but all the tracks are listed as 2000 Remaster.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Billgoodman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2068 on: September 25, 2012, 06:42:02 AM »

This new releases are great. This is also the first time I hear some original mono mixes. Being a BB-fan born in 1984, I discoverd them on cd.
Thanks Capitol, Thanks mr. Linett, Thanks Phil, Thinks AGD, Thanks Brian, Thanks Beach Boys!
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2069 on: September 25, 2012, 08:43:04 AM »

This new releases are great. This is also the first time I hear some original mono mixes. Being a BB-fan born in 1984, I discoverd them on cd.
Thanks Capitol, Thanks mr. Linett, Thanks Phil, Thinks AGD, Thanks Brian, Thanks Beach Boys!

That might be the first time those words have been uttered on these boards! Smiley

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2070 on: September 25, 2012, 08:45:59 AM »

That might be the first time those words have been uttered on these boards! Smiley

Yeah.....why thanks Phil??? For being so whiney that Capitol had to release this material?
sea of tunes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2071 on: September 25, 2012, 11:11:19 AM »

The "Pet Sounds" remaster is a real disappointment.  As I wrote upon receipt of the Japanese:

I need to go back and re-listen to past Linett masterings of Pet Sounds now to decide how I feel conclusively.  I think (know?) the 2012 Pet Sounds uses the same 1988 tape used for the 1990 cd and the 2006 cd.  Edited song intro's for WIBN, IWFTD, GOK (and maybe others).  Conversely, Linett did not do this on the 1996/97 Pet Sounds Sessions box (disc 4).  There's even a comment about it in the booklet "no remixing was attempted as it would not be true to Brian's vision".  I think (know?) Linett also used the same source for the 2001 two-fer with a few slight EQ changes. 

Going to do some comparison listening today between the 1996, 2012 and maybe the Hoffman DCC (bass heavy....).

The 2012 mono just doesn't sound natural to my ears.  I think the cheapest and best way to get PET SOUNDS will remain the 2001 mono/stereo.  The mono is virtually untouched.

Husband. Father. Quadragenarian.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #2072 on: September 25, 2012, 11:12:31 AM »

I digged Smiley, but for some reason they didn't use the Heroes and Villains rerecorded verse backing track in stereo, which is available on TSS, I felt they coulda done that... Also the SWOOOSH at 2.07 is very low.... Guess I'm as bad as Brian with getting Heroes right...

The organ bit in the middle of the first verse is also inexplicably missing. It was on the Hawthorne mix, so the track still exists for it.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
puni puni
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2073 on: September 25, 2012, 11:28:23 AM »

Thanks, Phil.
Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

Son, don't wait till the break of day....

View Profile
« Reply #2074 on: September 25, 2012, 04:12:25 PM »

The remasters are now on Australian Spotify.

Well, I'm pretty easy to please but I have to say I'm not over the moon with the use of digital reverb, you really can hear the difference and I'm not anywhere near an audiophile, it sounds a lot like the verb I use on my own music in Pro Tools. The stereo mixes are very cool to hear but I think I'm going to stick with the 2001 remasters and just load up Spotify if i want to hear the stereo mixes. Mono for life.

Tie me kangaroo down, Sport!!!!  LOL

Son, don't wait till the break of day 'cause you know how time fades away......
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 78 79 80 81 82 [83] 84 85 86 87 88 ... 104 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx