gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680880 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 01, 2024, 08:31:15 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 77 78 79 80 81 [82] 83 84 85 86 87 ... 104 Go Down Print
Author Topic: New Beach Boys 2012 Remasters!  (Read 571673 times)
sneakyflutes
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #2025 on: September 24, 2012, 01:56:38 PM »

Only the stereo version Heroes and Villains and the mono version of Good Vibrations are popping up for me on Spotify. Every other track shows up but they are not highlighted and can't be listened to. Anyone have any insight as to why that is?
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #2026 on: September 24, 2012, 01:58:26 PM »

someone uploaded Darlin to YT.

Yerp - sorry for the confusion. The link is on the last page, can't repost, on phone, hurr durr.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #2027 on: September 24, 2012, 02:05:36 PM »

I did - I'll add others later (Wild honey etc)

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
tansen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2028 on: September 24, 2012, 02:07:21 PM »

Copyright infringement?

Tansen - "He Who Commands an Army of Notes"
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2029 on: September 24, 2012, 02:07:52 PM »

Only the stereo version Heroes and Villains and the mono version of Good Vibrations are popping up for me on Spotify. Every other track shows up but they are not highlighted and can't be listened to. Anyone have any insight as to why that is?
what country do you live in?

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #2030 on: September 24, 2012, 02:08:34 PM »

Copyright infringement?

Youtube passes....  Wink

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
tansen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2031 on: September 24, 2012, 02:11:59 PM »

Copyright infringement?

Youtube passes....  Wink

Razz

People should be more patient though. I've got everything available on Spotify. But besides Smiley Smile, I choose not to listen to the rest - in fact I'm waiting to order the CDs till they come to the US. Patience is a virtue.

sneakyflutes
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #2032 on: September 24, 2012, 02:12:32 PM »

US. Is it not available on Spotify here yet?
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #2033 on: September 24, 2012, 02:32:57 PM »

I'm a record collector. It's nothing to do with the audio, I just can't get attached to CDs

Ah, sorry, fair enough.

I'm sick of buying cds as I just don't play them once I've ripped them to my Itunes. They just get added to the huge pile of cds gathering dust in the corner of my work space. A year or so ago I would've bought these remasters without a second thought. Now I'm able to listen to them on Spotify, there's really no need to buy them beyond wanting to read the liner notes and supporting the band. Well, I feel I've bought enough BB product that the latter is not a real motivation for me I'm afraid. I do subscribe to Spotify so I am not stealing the music and don't endorse that.

However if they released these on vinyl then I would definitely purchase some of these. The Surf's Up and Sunflower remasters apparently don't supercede the original pressings and that may well be true for some of the others, but it strikes me there's potential for the new stereo Smiley Smile to be an improvement over the original vinyl. I guess it's by the by as there's no talk of putting these out on vinyl anyway, more's the pity, but who can say what the plans are in the near future.

I understand your sentiment, but there is something to be said about quality on CD vs IMO crappy 256kbps streams on Spotify. Even 320kpbs AAC's vs lossless/CD would arguably be something to be discussed.
But I see what you mean. I keep buying CDs, but I much prefer buying vinyl. It's just too bad that LPs are usually much more expensive.

You have a point here. I don't currently have a cd player rigged up so if I want to listen to CDs I'd have to listen through the computer cd drive which presumably is going to be no different to listening to 320kpbs AAC? Or is it? I might try and set a cd player up and compare to the digital files through the computer. It would be nice to listen to some of my CDs again!

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #2034 on: September 24, 2012, 02:37:45 PM »

However if they released these on vinyl then I would definitely purchase some of these. The Surf's Up and Sunflower remasters apparently don't supercede the original pressings and that may well be true for some of the others, but it strikes me there's potential for the new stereo Smiley Smile to be an improvement over the original vinyl. I guess it's by the by as there's no talk of putting these out on vinyl anyway, more's the pity, but who can say what the plans are in the near future.

And even if they aren't an improvement (the purist in me says they can never be!), they would almost certainly be a worthy alternative. I'd file a nice 180g Stereo smiley next to my US mono in a heartbeat.

And vinyl isn't clutter! CDs are weird...loads of variations in cases so they don't stack nicely together, all those horrible jewel cases that crack, inexplicable sticking and deterioration. A shelf full of lps is a beautiful sight.

I agree on the beauty of a shelf of vinyl. An ageing record sleeve also has aesthetic value compared to an ageing jewel cd case.

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2035 on: September 24, 2012, 02:45:31 PM »

US. Is it not available on Spotify here yet?

That's correct. and I'm certain the stereo Heroes and the mono Good Vibrations aren't actually the ones on the remaster, it's Spotify pulling them from other albums. if you click on the "Today!" link someone posted, there's a decent amount of stereo tracks, but they're all sourced from things like the singles box, Summer Love Songs, et cetera, and not from the current remasters.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
tansen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2036 on: September 24, 2012, 02:52:02 PM »

I'm a record collector. It's nothing to do with the audio, I just can't get attached to CDs

Ah, sorry, fair enough.

I'm sick of buying cds as I just don't play them once I've ripped them to my Itunes. They just get added to the huge pile of cds gathering dust in the corner of my work space. A year or so ago I would've bought these remasters without a second thought. Now I'm able to listen to them on Spotify, there's really no need to buy them beyond wanting to read the liner notes and supporting the band. Well, I feel I've bought enough BB product that the latter is not a real motivation for me I'm afraid. I do subscribe to Spotify so I am not stealing the music and don't endorse that.

I understand your sentiment, but there is something to be said about quality on CD vs IMO crappy 256kbps streams on Spotify. Even 320kpbs AAC's vs lossless/CD would arguably be something to be discussed.
But I see what you mean. I keep buying CDs, but I much prefer buying vinyl. It's just too bad that LPs are usually much more expensive.

You have a point here. I don't currently have a cd player rigged up so if I want to listen to CDs I'd have to listen through the computer cd drive which presumably is going to be no different to listening to 320kpbs AAC? Or is it? I might try and set a cd player up and compare to the digital files through the computer. It would be nice to listen to some of my CDs again!

Well it would make a difference (computer CD drive vs 320 AAC), but of course less diference due to the DAC on your computer for one - presumably being of worse quality than on your CD-player/Amp.

BergenWhitesMoustache
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2037 on: September 24, 2012, 02:55:36 PM »

I agree on the beauty of a shelf of vinyl. An ageing record sleeve also has aesthetic value compared to an ageing jewel cd case.

That's a really good way of putting it.

I've got a VG- copy of 'Here are the Sonics' on Etiquette right here next to me that has a split seam and ringwear, and it's still a beautiful object. A cd with a cracked case, or grubby booklet etc, just looks like it needs replacing, and most of the time it can be, pretty easily.

There's nowhere near as much of a 'thrill of the chase' with cds. I know there exceptions to that, but even something like the 1990 RIs of surfs up etc are common as hell compared to say, some sought after soul 45, and can be had if you're willing to pay the going rate, vs waiting 5 years for something to turn up on Ebay (and then getting outbid!) Wink

I'
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2038 on: September 24, 2012, 03:03:33 PM »

I don't know if it's real Stereo or not, but i don't care in the end, it sounds very very good and clean!
theCOD
« Reply #2039 on: September 24, 2012, 04:52:45 PM »

I absolutely LOVE Smiley Smile in stereo. The rest was great, but Smiley is full stellar music. Thank you so much Mark Linett and anyone else involved in making this release possible.

+1

Mark did a great job. Thanks to all involved! Grin
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #2040 on: September 24, 2012, 05:04:25 PM »

I've had Smiley a while, sounds amazing!

Also, Vinyl still sounds better to me, and I have monitors!

GuyOnTheBeach
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2041 on: September 24, 2012, 05:19:10 PM »

One thought that I've had (Which isn't really that significant, but I'll mention anyway), I always thought that all the organ parts on SS were the Baldwin, but now I've heard "With Me Tonight" in better clarity, it sounds like there is a Baldwin in the Left speaker playing the lower notes, whereas the high, more prominent organ part sounds much more like a Vox Jaguar to me.
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2042 on: September 24, 2012, 06:02:49 PM »

That is a kick-ass mix of Darlin'! It sounds like the Pet Sounds stereo mix in terms of sound quality, which is great by me. I wish that all of the remixes would sound like this!

Just noticed - Carl's "Darlin'" before the final chorus is missing.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2012, 06:04:01 PM by EgoHanger1966 » Logged

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2043 on: September 24, 2012, 06:06:52 PM »

That's correct. and I'm certain the stereo Heroes and the mono Good Vibrations aren't actually the ones on the remaster, it's Spotify pulling them from other albums. if you click on the "Today!" link someone posted, there's a decent amount of stereo tracks, but they're all sourced from things like the singles box, Summer Love Songs, et cetera, and not from the current remasters.

When i just searched for the albums, they came up.  I assume it's the remasters cause they have a 2012 date on the bottom of the album screen.  Not sure though...and they only have the songs listed, nothing specified as "mono" or "stereo" and only have the songs on their once.  not sure if this is what everyone else is hearing. cause pretty sure these are the mono's.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2012, 06:16:31 PM by Runaways » Logged
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2044 on: September 24, 2012, 06:21:49 PM »

the only standalone (non-twofer, 11 tracks) Smiley Smile on my spotify is dated 1967.

Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2045 on: September 24, 2012, 06:57:34 PM »

the only standalone (non-twofer, 11 tracks) Smiley Smile on my spotify is dated 1967.

Weeeelll, it's up there for me

Guess they are still workin' on making it available in different countries? anyway the stereo sounds amazing.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2012, 06:58:45 PM by Ziggy Stardust » Logged
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2046 on: September 24, 2012, 07:23:35 PM »

Darlin' is amazing! Those horns! The drums really stand out too.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #2047 on: September 24, 2012, 07:45:59 PM »

I don't get the aversion to, of all things, the CD format.

Don't get me wrong - while I don't call myself an audiophile given the implications that come with such a title, I care a great deal about sound quality and the preservation of sound quality, I care about dynamics, and I heard all the stuff monicker posted about in regards to The Smile Sessions last year before he posted about it and that everyone attacked him for and yes, some of them were distracting to me. I have decent ears. I like the vinyl format, I like all formats and feel that all have their pros and cons and, barring stuff like 8-track and cassette (although I can appreciate those for nostalgic value), kind of even out when you stack them up against one another. Sound quality, packaging, convenience, all things considered, all formats have their place and can be appreciated for the advantages they have over other formats.

Just sayin' - you occasionally see a post around these parts that has a very slight "I mostly listen to vinyl, thus my appreciation for music is deeper than that of someone who doesn't primarily listen to vinyl" vibe and I don't get that.

Like, yeah, it's damn cool to sit on your bean bag in your room, listening to vinyl, having to get up to flip sides, and going on and on about "warmth" while you listen to your favorite album packaged in a really large sleeve where you can see all them purty colors that much gooder. You know what else is cool? Being able to be on my bicycle in a rural area as the sun sets with the open road in front of me or hanging out at the park I went to as a kid and being able to listen to well over half my record collection on a device that's the size of a deck of cards. Not just my CD collection - vinyl, cassette recordings I made as a child, my own music, my friends' music, music from video games, anything I could possibly want is there. I encoded those digital files with the utmost care, they sound pretty damn good (yes, not as good as vinyl, God forbid), and again, I have the majority of my record collection in the pocket of my jacket. Holy shit. I'm on that back road or wherever, and whatever mood strikes me at the moment, I have immediate access to just the right song for it. Or maybe the right song will come up by chance.

For me, not much else in the entire world is on par with those moments. Technology kicks ass.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #2048 on: September 24, 2012, 07:53:09 PM »

Bicycles suck.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
runnersdialzero