gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680784 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 24, 2024, 12:14:05 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 71 72 73 74 75 [76] 77 78 79 80 81 ... 104 Go Down Print
Author Topic: New Beach Boys 2012 Remasters!  (Read 570866 times)
lance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1875 on: September 16, 2012, 09:35:52 PM »

They must have been so baked.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1876 on: September 17, 2012, 01:18:15 AM »

Let this be a lesson to all of you - observe the speed limit!

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Dave Modny
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1877 on: September 17, 2012, 12:42:14 PM »

One thing that caught my ear when listening to the samples, was the realization that the BBC airing of the single version of "Isn't It Time" seemed to be slightly digitally time compressed (i.e. sped-up, but with no change in pitch), as many radio/TV stations often do to fit in more commercials, etc.

When I first head that BBC clip, and noticed it, I thought perhaps it was the band *themselves* that did it to the new version, in an effort to "pep" the track up a bit without altering the pitch. However, listening to the 50 Big Ones sample, the single seems to match in tempo and pitch to the album version. Thus, it *was* just the radio station's doing. Smiley
Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1878 on: September 17, 2012, 01:53:26 PM »

I wonder what the reason for that was given that the BBC do not have commercials.

"..be cautious, don't get your hopes up, look over your shoulder because heartbreak and darkness are always ready to pounce"

petsoundsnola
Dave Modny
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1879 on: September 17, 2012, 02:35:12 PM »

I wonder what the reason for that was given that the BBC do not have commercials.

No idea. More time for them to yap between songs? More records to fit in per hour??

I didn't actually calculate the amount of time manipulation used, but it wasn't radical. I've heard far worse on my local stations. Hell, I remember when one local radio station used to simply use good ol' *analog* speed-up. Everyone sounded like chipmunks!
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1880 on: September 17, 2012, 02:52:25 PM »

No idea. More time for them to yap between songs? More records to fit in per hour??

If you watch telly in Britain (as opposed to just playing games on yr TV it or something), you have to buy a TV Licence every year - this pays for the BBC instead of advertising revenue on TV and radio. Hence, no need for adverts.

Of course, freemarket numpties are all about abolishing the licence fee and opening it up to advertising, but as adverts on TV make me want to spend my waking hours perfecting space travel so I can leave this foul earth..... I don't own a telly  Grin

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.

Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1881 on: September 17, 2012, 02:54:22 PM »

If you watch telly in Britain (as opposed to just playing games on yr TV it or something), you have to buy a TV Licence every year - this pays for the BBC instead of advertising revenue on TV and radio. Hence, no need for adverts.

oh god, is that how British people spell license? that's horrible.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Ted
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1882 on: September 17, 2012, 02:59:26 PM »

Yep, those Romance languages sure are horrible...
BergenWhitesMoustache
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1883 on: September 17, 2012, 04:18:10 PM »

I've had a word with our guys, and we're up for changing that if you stop your lot saying 'could care less'. It's 'couldn't care less'. Millions of people happily being wrong doesn't somehow make it right by default, it just means there are millions of idiots saying the wrong thing.  LOL
LetHimRun
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1884 on: September 17, 2012, 04:31:13 PM »

I've had a word with our guys, and we're up for changing that if you stop your lot saying 'could care less'. It's 'couldn't care less'. Millions of people happily being wrong doesn't somehow make it right by default, it just means there are millions of idiots saying the wrong thing.  LOL

I'm American and I say "couldn't care less". Guess I was one of the few who actually paid attention in school.
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #1885 on: September 17, 2012, 04:47:05 PM »

Well, the problem with "couldn't care less" and "could care less" is that both can make sense.  If you say "I could care less" when you couldn't, to me that seems to be a valid use of irony.  And in some cases sarcasm can be more effective and even affective than saying what you mean.
monicker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1886 on: September 17, 2012, 04:47:43 PM »

What's up with the gobs of reverb on When I Grow Up on that Amazon German sample?

Don't be eccentric, this is a BEACH BOYS forum, for God's sake!
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1887 on: September 17, 2012, 06:56:27 PM »

What's up with the gobs of reverb on When I Grow Up on that Amazon German sample?
It's that way on the Singles Collection too.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
sockittome
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1888 on: September 17, 2012, 08:17:55 PM »

Well, the problem with "couldn't care less" and "could care less" is that both can make sense.  If you say "I could care less" when you couldn't, to me that seems to be a valid use of irony.  And in some cases sarcasm can be more effective and even affective than saying what you mean.

I am unable to concern myself in any smaller capacity.....
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #1889 on: September 17, 2012, 10:57:32 PM »

Finally got around to actually pre-ordering some - 50 Big Ones, Today!, Summer Days, Party! and Smiley here I come!

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
jeffcdo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1890 on: September 18, 2012, 12:13:35 AM »

Apologies if this has been discussed already (I couldn't find it), but Surf's Up is available over at HDtracks in 24bit.  Anybody else considering forgoing the CDs and holding out for the high res versions?  Betcha there's more coming.
chris.metcalfe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1891 on: September 18, 2012, 03:47:41 AM »

Well, I was taught at my British school that Americans don't understand irony.

At least they have a sence of humour.
BergenWhitesMoustache
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1892 on: September 18, 2012, 03:59:08 AM »

It just about works if you squint really hard, but it falls down if you start estimating what these two figures might look like A/ Number of Americans who understand the concept of Irony B/ Number of Americans who just jabber away mindlessly without really thinking about what they are saying. I mean, even replace 'Americans' with 'people'. I've got a friend who talks about how she 'brought' something from a shop rather than bought, and she's a student councillor!

It's clearly nothing more than a malapropism that's had some retroactive reasoning applied to it.
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #1893 on: September 18, 2012, 05:04:19 AM »

Apologies if this has been discussed already (I couldn't find it), but Surf's Up is available over at HDtracks in 24bit.  Anybody else considering forgoing the CDs and holding out for the high res versions?  Betcha there's more coming.
I've been wary of HDtracks ever since I heard they have been known to simply upscale the recordings after-the-fact rather than having the albums be genuine 24bit (and whatever kHz, in this case 88.1kHz). Plus, this HDtracks release uses the 2009 remaster while these CDs have new (2012) remasters. The solution is obviously to get both!
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1894 on: September 18, 2012, 05:09:38 AM »

Surf's Up is the 2009 remaster on these new releases.

jeffcdo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1895 on: September 18, 2012, 05:15:56 AM »

It was my understanding that the new 2012 releases of both Surf's Up and Sunflower (only) will be the 2009 remasters.  Is this not correct?
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #1896 on: September 18, 2012, 05:29:54 AM »

Oh! Guess I just assumed they were getting remastered again this year along with the '60s studio albums. My mistake.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1897 on: September 18, 2012, 05:35:07 AM »

It's the first time they've been released on CD (they were done for Capitol 'From The Vault' vinyl issues iirc) so it's cool. But if any two albums needed bonus tracks, it's these.

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1898 on: September 18, 2012, 06:14:09 AM »

It's the first time they've been released on CD ...

Try third time.

1991 - Sony single album reissues
2001 - Brother/Capitol 2fer.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1899 on: September 18, 2012, 06:16:50 AM »

It's the first time they've been released on CD ...

Try third time.

1991 - Sony single album reissues
2001 - Brother/Capitol 2fer.

Not the 2009 remaster, unless Mark Linett & Alan Boyd can send master tapes back in time  Wink

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 71 72 73 74 75 [76] 77 78 79 80 81 ... 104 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx