gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:29:57 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 66 67 68 69 70 [71] 72 73 74 75 76 ... 104 Go Down Print
Author Topic: New Beach Boys 2012 Remasters!  (Read 566673 times)
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1750 on: September 03, 2012, 02:22:32 AM »

You guys should do a buddy film together getting in a series of amusing scrapes as your initial hatred gives way to teamwork and solving a murder.

It could be like Planes,Trains and Automobiles. AGD and Phil are traveling to the last ever Beach Boys concert and due to a series of mishaps are forced to travel together to reach their destination. Once they get to the arena they inadvertently take a wrong turn and enter a small room where upon they find the bloody, lifeless corpse of Mike Love lying on the floor and Bruce Johnston huddled in a corner brandishing a pistol whimpering "I didn't do it" over and over again. Can they put aside their mutual hatred long enough to prove Bruce's innocence?

This has Summer Blockbuster written all over it.

Wouldn't be the first time Bruce had been in a room with a smoking gun and a lifeless body.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Matt Bielewicz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1751 on: September 03, 2012, 07:53:53 AM »

I digress to the point - does Smiley Smile Vegetables have the 'toy piano thing' in the 'I know that you'll feel better' ending like the mono mix or not?

Yes! It sounds like the centred mono mix has been overlaid on the stereo at that point to get that line in there - the bells or whatever only play for about as long as they do on the mono mix, and then fade, leaving stereo stuff playing for a few more seconds before fading out.

I love that little instrumental melody. It's a shame BW never thought it up in time for SMiLE... I thought it would be on the Sessions box set, but it would seem it was a Smiley-only mono addition...
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #1752 on: September 04, 2012, 02:47:14 AM »

Beach Boys Party! remaster currently only £5.69 at Amazon UK. Suspect a pricing error.  Act fast kids!

“We live in divisive times.”
tansen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1753 on: September 04, 2012, 04:44:58 AM »

Beach Boys Party! remaster currently only £5.69 at Amazon UK. Suspect a pricing error.  Act fast kids!

Awesome, John! Thanks so much for the tip!

Tansen - "He Who Commands an Army of Notes"
obscurereference
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1754 on: September 04, 2012, 05:50:05 AM »

Ordered it quick; thanks for the tip!!

SBonilla
« Reply #1755 on: September 04, 2012, 08:41:20 AM »

You guys should do a buddy film together getting in a series of amusing scrapes as your initial hatred gives way to teamwork and solving a murder.

It could be like Planes,Trains and Automobiles. AGD and Phil are traveling to the last ever Beach Boys concert and due to a series of mishaps are forced to travel together to reach their destination. Once they get to the arena they inadvertently take a wrong turn and enter a small room where upon they find the bloody, lifeless corpse of Mike Love lying on the floor and Bruce Johnston huddled in a corner brandishing a pistol whimpering "I didn't do it" over and over again. Can they put aside their mutual hatred long enough to prove Bruce's innocence?

This has Summer Blockbuster written all over it.

Wouldn't be the first time Bruce had been in a room with a smoking gun and a lifeless body.
You could say his career started off with a bang.
DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1756 on: September 04, 2012, 09:39:05 AM »

...  the 'toy piano thing' ...

... the bells or whatever ...

celeste !

Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1757 on: September 04, 2012, 12:35:21 PM »

Now, if I already have the Pet Sounds mono/stereo CD from 2001 and the Sunflower/Surf's Up twofer, are the mixes really that different on these new CDs that I would have to buy those three albums again?

I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #1758 on: September 04, 2012, 12:41:02 PM »

Now, if I already have the Pet Sounds mono/stereo CD from 2001 and the Sunflower/Surf's Up twofer, are the mixes really that different on these new CDs that I would have to buy those three albums again?

No.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1759 on: September 04, 2012, 12:50:25 PM »

No.

The only notable difference is on the stereo Pet Sounds - Brian artificially double tracked on You Still Believe In Me to match the mono mix.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
Summer_Days
Smiley Smile Associate

...and your dream comes true.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1760 on: September 04, 2012, 01:04:57 PM »

Whoopee-dee-doo. I was never a big fan of stereo remixes ANYWAY. Assuming the mono remasters of albums like Today, Summer Days and Pet Sounds aren't any better than the 2001 reissues, then they've lost me.

Wouldn't it be nice if we were older, then we wouldn't have to wait so long
And wouldn't it be nice to live together, in the kind of world where we belong?
http://wildsmiley.weebly.com
tansen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1761 on: September 04, 2012, 01:14:21 PM »

Whoopee-dee-doo. I was never a big fan of stereo remixes ANYWAY. Assuming the mono remasters of albums like Today, Summer Days and Pet Sounds aren't any better than the 2001 reissues, then they've lost me.

They probably are.

Tansen - "He Who Commands an Army of Notes"
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #1762 on: September 04, 2012, 01:35:11 PM »

They probably are.

They are. But the stereo is worth it.
101%

Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1763 on: September 04, 2012, 06:50:09 PM »

No.

The only notable difference is on the stereo Pet Sounds - Brian artificially double tracked on You Still Believe In Me to match the mono mix.

I don't think that'll be worth it.  But yeah, that will save me some money.  I will buy Today, Summer Days, and Smiley Smile (which I already own on twofers) for the stereo mixes and I suppose I'll eventually buy Surfin' USA, Surfer Girl, Little Deuce Coupe, Shut Down Vol. 2, and All Summer Long as well as I don't own those albums at all but I'll stick with my current editions of Pet Sounds, Sunflower, and Surf's Up.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2012, 07:02:51 PM by Rocky Raccoon » Logged

I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #1764 on: September 04, 2012, 06:52:57 PM »

I would highly recommend buying those early albums.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #1765 on: September 04, 2012, 07:01:35 PM »

The mastering on the stereo Smiley Smile is pretty damn good, dynamics-wise. This may be a good indication that the mastering on these will be superior to the 2001 releases, which were sometimes dreadful in how compressed and limited they were. "Do You Wanna Dance?" is a good example of just how ridiculous it gets.

The format of these releases (mono and stereo) are ideal and should've been done ages ago. Brian's original mono mixes of all the early albums deserve being heard and preserved, as will the new stereo mixes. I will say, though, that I'm wondering if the mastering on the MFSL stereo Pet Sounds editions released a few months ago will be superior to the new mono/stereo twofer.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1766 on: September 04, 2012, 07:19:26 PM »

surfer girl is a gooooood album. 
Johnston65
Smiley Smile Associate

Can you even boogaloo it?

View Profile
« Reply #1767 on: September 04, 2012, 07:35:32 PM »

The mastering on the stereo Smiley Smile is pretty damn good, dynamics-wise. This may be a good indication that the mastering on these will be superior to the 2001 releases, which were sometimes dreadful in how compressed and limited they were. "Do You Wanna Dance?" is a good example of just how ridiculous it gets.

The format of these releases (mono and stereo) are ideal and should've been done ages ago. Brian's original mono mixes of all the early albums deserve being heard and preserved, as will the new stereo mixes. I will say, though, that I'm wondering if the mastering on the MFSL stereo Pet Sounds editions released a few months ago will be superior to the new mono/stereo twofer.
well, the MFSL Pet Sounds was on a SACD, which has way better audio quality than a normal red book. So technically, yes it's better.

BUT

It doesn't have the mono so it's all up to you.
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #1768 on: September 04, 2012, 07:51:38 PM »

So far all the Remasters are really good.

runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #1769 on: September 04, 2012, 08:02:17 PM »

well, the MFSL Pet Sounds was on a SACD, which has way better audio quality than a normal red book. So technically, yes it's better.

BUT

I berieve it was released on both SACD and standard. But yeah, 'tis stereo only.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Johnston65
Smiley Smile Associate

Can you even boogaloo it?

View Profile
« Reply #1770 on: September 05, 2012, 03:20:53 PM »

BUT

I berieve it was released on both SACD and standard. But yeah, 'tis stereo only.
Oh yes, it was a hybrid. Red book and SACD.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #1771 on: September 07, 2012, 07:54:18 AM »

Another heads Up: remasters' prices seem to be falling on UK sites. Amazon UK has reduced a couple to £9, HMV has a few more at £9.

Also, Beach Boys Concert and Live in London both seem to be readied for release as downloads, also on Sept 24. No word on whether they're remasters (Play.com states they at 320 kbps, which means little to me…).

“We live in divisive times.”
PhilCohen
« Reply #1772 on: September 07, 2012, 05:38:54 PM »

Another heads Up: remasters' prices seem to be falling on UK sites. Amazon UK has reduced a couple to £9, HMV has a few more at £9.

Also, Beach Boys Concert and Live in London both seem to be readied for release as downloads, also on Sept 24. No word on whether they're remasters (Play.com states they at 320 kbps, which means little to me…).

320 kbps = data reduced audio; approximately one-fourth the size of full CD quality audio. This reduction is achieved by omitting parts of the sound that are deemed insignificant. Still, 320 kbps is better than iTunes' 256 kbps. To refer to AAC or Mp3 as "data compression" is a misnomer. In true data compression, nothing is lost. But data reduction throws away parts of the data(for example, 320kbps reduction throws away 75% of the original audio)
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #1773 on: September 07, 2012, 06:43:38 PM »

Are the booklets updated?

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #1774 on: September 07, 2012, 06:44:17 PM »

Are the booklets updated?

I'm also interested in this.

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 66 67 68 69 70 [71] 72 73 74 75 76 ... 104 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx