gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680852 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 27, 2024, 09:59:44 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 64 65 66 67 68 [69] 70 71 72 73 74 ... 104 Go Down Print
Author Topic: New Beach Boys 2012 Remasters!  (Read 571230 times)
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #1700 on: August 31, 2012, 10:57:35 AM »

Sorry if this was mentioned, but with Sunflower and Surf's Up being stereo only, are they going to have any bonus tracks at all?
I hope so..because they can put the "landlocked" stuff on "sunflower" as well as the dennis wilson single,and I'm sure there's stuff they can place on "surfs up" as well...that would be cool..

No bonus tracks have been named and don't seem likely, at this point. I think they're saving that stuff for the box set.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Paulos
« Reply #1701 on: August 31, 2012, 11:28:18 AM »

Changed to October 9  Sad

Phil's gonna have Phield day!

Nah. My curiosity was satisfied by the three Japanese discs that I purchased("Today", "Summer Days...and Summer Nights", & "Smiley Smile"). The variable mix & mastering quality on "Today" & "Summer Days...and Summer Nights" caused my enthusiasm for the proposed 2012 U.S.A. Beach Boys archival projects to cool down substantially. However, if the U.S.A. releases don't happen, I may buy the Japanese mono/stereo disc of "Party". The other 8 Japanese discs are, to me, non-essential. As for whatever albums don't get reissued, I've got the 1990 & 2001 "twofer" discs(personally I prefer the 1990 editions), and I've got the Capitol CD  reissues of the 1970's albums. I've got "Wild Honey", "Friends" & "20/20" in my collection(on original 1960's vinyl & two CD editions) whether or not Capitol reissues them.

There's going to be loads of archival projects and box sets by other 1960's & 1970's "Classic Rock" artists this fall. Even without some of the proposed Beach Boys product, there's no shortage of CD's to buy. I'm doing fine. I'm through being anguished or upset over how the mixing, mastering or marketing of the 2012 Beach Boys CD product is being handled(or mishandled)

Violin
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1702 on: August 31, 2012, 01:57:59 PM »

Sorry if this was mentioned, but with Sunflower and Surf's Up being stereo only, are they going to have any bonus tracks at all?

Not to my best knowledge.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #1703 on: August 31, 2012, 03:23:07 PM »

For those worried that they might get hit by a bus before they hear these releases, that's just terrible.

I've cancelled my order for the reissues and the GHs sets and the Wilson Songwriter DVD… financial situation brought me to my senses.  Sad

For real John?

Aren't there one or two remaster titles you REALLY want to hear?

-- David

I nabbed two of the Japanese discs before I came to my senses!  Grin

“We live in divisive times.”
PhilCohen
« Reply #1704 on: August 31, 2012, 03:47:03 PM »

Nah. My curiosity was satisfied by the three Japanese discs that I purchased("Today", "Summer Days...and Summer Nights", & "Smiley Smile"). The variable mix & mastering quality on "Today" & "Summer Days...and Summer Nights" caused my enthusiasm for the proposed 2012 U.S.A. Beach Boys archival projects to cool down substantially. However, if the U.S.A. releases don't happen, I may buy the Japanese mono/stereo disc of "Party". The other 8 Japanese discs are, to me, non-essential. As for whatever albums don't get reissued, I've got the 1990 & 2001 "twofer" discs(personally I prefer the 1990 editions), and I've got the Capitol CD  reissues of the 1970's albums. I've got "Wild Honey", "Friends" & "20/20" in my collection(on original 1960's vinyl & two CD editions) whether or not Capitol reissues them.

There's going to be loads of archival projects and box sets by other 1960's & 1970's "Classic Rock" artists this fall. Even without some of the proposed Beach Boys product, there's no shortage of CD's to buy. I'm doing fine. I'm through being anguished or upset over how the mixing, mastering or marketing of the 2012 Beach Boys CD product is being handled(or mishandled)

Violin

Do you doubt that what I'm saying is serious? I AM serious.

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1705 on: August 31, 2012, 05:27:16 PM »

Violin

Violin

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
rogerlancelot
« Reply #1706 on: August 31, 2012, 05:27:26 PM »

I just recently listened to 2 of my 2-fers back to back. My Smiley Smile / Wild Honey is the 1990 remaster and my Friends / 20/20 is the 2001 remaster. To me SS/WH sounds like sonic crap compared to Friends/2020 except for the modern mix of "Can't Wait Too Long". In other words one can remaster a poor (IMO) mix like polishing a turd bud a turd is still a turd. I for one am really looking forward to new (and stereo) mixes of SS & WH. And since I already own all of the 60's 2-fers (SS/WH being the only 1990 version) I can take all of the bonus tracks and burn them onto a cd to accompany the new remasters.
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1707 on: August 31, 2012, 05:42:59 PM »

I just recently listened to 2 of my 2-fers back to back. My Smiley Smile / Wild Honey is the 1990 remaster and my Friends / 20/20 is the 2001 remaster. To me SS/WH sounds like sonic crap compared to Friends/2020 except for the modern mix of "Can't Wait Too Long". In other words one can remaster a poor (IMO) mix like polishing a turd bud a turd is still a turd. I for one am really looking forward to new (and stereo) mixes of SS & WH. And since I already own all of the 60's 2-fers (SS/WH being the only 1990 version) I can take all of the bonus tracks and burn them onto a cd to accompany the new remasters.

You'll be pleased with Smiley - whereas before it could be considered a lo-fi record in it's mono mix, the stereo remix is a sonic revelation. Clarity out the wazoo. There's some cool, psychedelic panning in the mix, too, in H&V and Fall Breaks.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
PhilCohen
« Reply #1708 on: August 31, 2012, 08:14:04 PM »

On internet forums that specialize in "audiophile" subject matter, there are actually people who analyze CD's on computers to measure things like compression, distortion, excessive E.Q., etc.(Believe it or not, one of the computer programs used to analyze these CD's is named "CD Paranoia") . I don't know if any of these people have actually analyzed any of the Japanese Beach Boys discs, but there were people on this forum who claimed that they detected "clipping distortion" on the Japanese "Summer Days...and Summer Nights!" CD. I don't know how to distinguish "clipping distortion" from other varieties of distortion, but having lived with that Japanese CD for a while, I do agree that some of the stereo remix tracks(notably "Amusement Parks U.S.A." & "California Girls") are audibly distorted. Whether this occurred in Mark Linett's mix, or whether it is a result of bad mastering, is unknown.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #1709 on: August 31, 2012, 08:27:46 PM »

Bad mastering, likely. That's generally where things like that get f***ed up nowadays, although I could be wrong. We'll see if these issues exist on the US/UK versions.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
rogerlancelot
« Reply #1710 on: August 31, 2012, 10:44:20 PM »

@ Phil Cohen: I am curious about your opinion especially since I understand you are in the business of remastering. From what I have read, the 2000 remasters have a lot more high end. Since I only have the one 1990 SS/WH disc and don't have the latter to compare it to, what is it to you that makes the earlier releases better to you?

And on another note, yes I am sooooo looking forward to the new stereo mix of Smiley Smile. I've read a lot of bad things on this board about ML lately but I find the entire TSS a wonderful listening experience. I enjoy everybody's fan mixes but I think TSS is the final statement on things. Sandoval's mixes were also astonishing. I would invite Andrew on this board but I would hate to see everybody give him the same grief as other "honored" guests have received in the past.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1711 on: August 31, 2012, 11:45:32 PM »

On internet forums that specialize in "audiophile" subject matter, there are actually people who analyze CD's on computers to measure things like compression, distortion, excessive E.Q., etc.(Believe it or not, one of the computer programs used to analyze these CD's is named "CD Paranoia") . I don't know if any of these people have actually analyzed any of the Japanese Beach Boys discs, but there were people on this forum who claimed that they detected "clipping distortion" on the Japanese "Summer Days...and Summer Nights!" CD. I don't know how to distinguish "clipping distortion" from other varieties of distortion, but having lived with that Japanese CD for a while, I do agree that some of the stereo remix tracks(notably "Amusement Parks U.S.A." & "California Girls") are audibly distorted. Whether this occurred in Mark Linett's mix, or whether it is a result of bad mastering, is unknown.

Auidiophile - someone who listens to the equipment and signal path rather than the music.

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #1712 on: September 01, 2012, 12:32:13 AM »

.... or would rather have roast beef that corned beef … Theakstons than Tennants?

Paulos
« Reply #1713 on: September 01, 2012, 02:04:49 AM »

Violin

Yes, I doubt that you are serious. You posted a similar rant(s) last year about how you weren't going to buy TSS even if it did come out. To no-ones surprise but yours, TSS did come out and you went and bought it despite your earlier claims. That is why I cannot take anything you say seriously.
PhilCohen
« Reply #1714 on: September 01, 2012, 02:30:27 AM »

@ Phil Cohen: I am curious about your opinion especially since I understand you are in the business of remastering. From what I have read, the 2000 remasters have a lot more high end. Since I only have the one 1990 SS/WH disc and don't have the latter to compare it to, what is it to you that makes the earlier releases better to you?

While I know that some people were critical of the 1990 editions of the "twofer" discs for the use of de-hissing, the overall tone quality of the 1990 discs were very much like that of the original 1960's vinyl, whereas the 2001 editions of the twofers had boosted highs.
PhilCohen
« Reply #1715 on: September 01, 2012, 09:52:02 AM »

Violin

Yes, I doubt that you are serious. You posted a similar rant(s) last year about how you weren't going to buy TSS even if it did come out. To no-ones surprise but yours, TSS did come out and you went and bought it despite your earlier claims. That is why I cannot take anything you say seriously.

I will buy the "Made in California" box set....if it is released, but don't be surprised if it is postponed into 2013.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #1716 on: September 01, 2012, 09:56:35 AM »

LOL

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1717 on: September 01, 2012, 10:03:07 AM »

Cohen is a former compiler of box sets, not a mastering engineer. If I'm wrong about this, I apologise in advance.

Oh, and the 6CD box won't be postponed to next year.

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #1718 on: September 01, 2012, 10:05:40 AM »

Cohen is a former compiler of box sets, not a mastering engineer. If I'm wrong about this, I apologise in advance.

I think he's winding us up now… no-one could maintain a genuine pessimistic approach for so long and keep a straight face.

I am amused.

PhilCohen
« Reply #1719 on: September 01, 2012, 10:28:18 AM »

Correct. I was a compiler & tape researcher, but I have supervised and directed noise reduction & sound restoration efforts, and I have been present during CD mastering sessions. I have watched the mastering process....at Abbey Road Studios.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2012, 10:32:16 AM by PhilCohen » Logged
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1720 on: September 01, 2012, 10:47:51 AM »

I should have also pointed out that he's never claimed to be a mastering engineer: someone else apparently assumed that. Understandable - many folk assume I'm an author.  Smiley

FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #1721 on: September 01, 2012, 11:03:03 AM »

But your book is one of the only books I own in print that I almost always bring on trips, that and 50 sides

PhilCohen
« Reply #1722 on: September 01, 2012, 12:09:08 PM »

I think he's winding us up now… no-one could maintain a genuine pessimistic approach for so long and keep a straight face.

I am amused.

Well, the U.S.A. release of the 12 mono + stereo discs has already been postponed TWICE. Why shouldn't we expect something similar for the proposed "Made in California" box? Or maybe Capitol will release the box set only in Japan for 3 months, to see if there is worldwide demand for this "product"(or if people notice any mastering glitches or distortions)
PhilCohen
« Reply #1723 on: September 01, 2012, 12:10:42 PM »

I am amused.

Who says that I'm smiling? Sad
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1724 on: September 01, 2012, 12:14:14 PM »

You guys should do a buddy film together getting in a series of amusing scrapes as your initial hatred gives way to teamwork and solving a murder.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 64 65 66 67 68 [69] 70 71 72 73 74 ... 104 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx