gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680749 Posts in 27614 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 05:44:34 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 46 47 48 [49] 50 51 52 53 54 ... 104 Go Down Print
Author Topic: New Beach Boys 2012 Remasters!  (Read 570293 times)
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1200 on: August 08, 2012, 12:30:56 PM »

Mark Linett knows the fans want Wild Honey in Stereo.

He should have done something about it  Huh

Who says he didn't? He already let slip that he did a stereo remix of Wild Honey. What, you think they are just gonna leave it on the shelf? ALL THE goshdarn ALBUMS WILL BE RELEASED IN TIME. WHY THE HELL WOULDN'T THEY?

Almighty dollar. As I said earlier, there's no mention in the press release of any further reissues. Remember, there were originally supposed to be two BB singles boxes, and we ended up with just one.

Almighty dollar? So...they spend the money remixing Wild Honey then DON'T release it??

This has been covered in another thread. They didn't spend the money to remix it. Mark L. remixed the album (and other BB material) of his own accord several years ago.

Well, as I understand it, and I do wish Alan and Mark were still here to clear these things up, as I understand it, Mark would get a budget for a specific project, and would use the project as a vehicle to do remixes.  So Capitol was still very much paying for these.  So, say Capitol allows so much funding for a project that ends up having 10 songs on it, but the budget ended up allowing for transferring 13 songs from tape to digital.  You could kind of think of it as creating alternates for the recent comps.

You're right that Capitol hadn't paid for a specific Wild Honey project, but it did pay for the underlying process that ended up with there being a bunch of stereo remixes for that album.

Maybe it just wasn't ready to go yet.

Thanks, that makes a lot of sense.

I do think the 12-album selection was reasonably deliberate; these were the records that featured the group's biggest hits or that were the most critically acclaimed (perhaps with the exception of Holland).
« Last Edit: August 08, 2012, 12:55:14 PM by Wirestone » Logged
PhilCohen
« Reply #1201 on: August 08, 2012, 12:31:47 PM »

A press release states that

"The 12 Beach Boys studio albums have been digitally remastered by Mark Linett and will be released on CD and digitally, most featuring mono and stereo mixes."

To me this doesn't bode particularly well for a timely release of reissues of the studio albums whose existence is no longer acknowledged.

Honestly we can sit here and play this entire game all over again for the next two months but it'd be a huge waste of time.  We don't know any more or less about their future plans on the rest of the catalog going by that press release.  No one here should go and assume that we will get more or that we won't get more.  We just don't know.  People were "so sure" that Japan was the only one getting the remasters because there was no mention of anything in their press release of a worldwide release and look here we are: two months later with official word that the rest of the world would also be getting the remasters.   Just ride it out and quit the suppositions.

But the question remains: What is the motive behind Capitol & The Beach Boys' "Wall of Secrecy" policy?
Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #1202 on: August 08, 2012, 12:32:22 PM »

studio albums whose existence is no longer acknowledged.

You and Phil should bunk together.
GoofyJeff
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1203 on: August 08, 2012, 12:37:59 PM »

But the question remains: What is the motive behind Capitol & The Beach Boys' "Wall of Secrecy" policy?

Is everything a conspiracy theory with you, Phil?

Is the Earth really flat? Who shot JFK? Did we really walk on the moon?

You become a bigger joke with every post, Eeyore. 

"Because of the attitude of a few mental dinosaurs intent on exploiting our initial success, Brian's huge talent has never been fully appreciated in America and the potential of the group has been stifled.... If the Beatles had suffered this kind of misrepresentation, they would have never got past singing 'Please Please Me' and 'I Wanna Hold Your Hand' and leaping around in Beatle suits."
-Dennis Wilson, 1970
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #1204 on: August 08, 2012, 12:41:49 PM »

Could be a marketing strategy.  Or lack thereof.  Corporate bureaucracies acting like bureaucracies.  Poor communications.  Slow corporate communications compared to INSTANT interweb, Beach-Boy-junkie communication.  Penny pinching at various levels.  Budgeting realities.  Massive scale of project with said budget realities.  Beach Boys management AND label management delays.  Meeting conflicts (it is summer vacation season.)

I mean...all of those are EXTREMELY likely to happen before you get to "they're just evil!" or something like that.

Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1205 on: August 08, 2012, 12:43:57 PM »

threads that Phil posts in are about 3% annoying because of Phil, and 97% annoying because of everyone posting things like this. who cares, leave it be.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
PhilCohen
« Reply #1206 on: August 08, 2012, 12:45:57 PM »

I'm not part of the "Flat Earth" movement, and I DO believe that man walked on the moon. I also DON'T believe that Barack Obama is from Kenya. O.K.?
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1207 on: August 08, 2012, 12:47:15 PM »

threads that Phil posts in are about 3% annoying because of Phil, and 97% annoying because of everyone posting things like this. who cares, leave it be.

I agree with this. Phil is entitled to post his opinion just the same as the rest of us until he gets bored and leaves us or is banned.
willy
Smiley Smile Associate

Hooga hagga hooga!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1208 on: August 08, 2012, 12:52:58 PM »

I don't find Phil's posts annoying. What is annoying is the feral gang mentality of the Phil Bashers.

I bumped my head, the sky turned red, the aardvark said "Banana!"
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #1209 on: August 08, 2012, 12:59:43 PM »

A press release states that

"The 12 Beach Boys studio albums have been digitally remastered by Mark Linett and will be released on CD and digitally, most featuring mono and stereo mixes."

To me this doesn't bode particularly well for a timely release of reissues of the studio albums whose existence is no longer acknowledged.

Honestly we can sit here and play this entire game all over again for the next two months but it'd be a huge waste of time.  We don't know any more or less about their future plans on the rest of the catalog going by that press release.  No one here should go and assume that we will get more or that we won't get more.  We just don't know.  People were "so sure" that Japan was the only one getting the remasters because there was no mention of anything in their press release of a worldwide release and look here we are: two months later with official word that the rest of the world would also be getting the remasters.   Just ride it out and quit the suppositions.

OH MY GOD. You said the same thing about The SMiLE Sessions and that did extremely well on the charts/amazon (given that it's a 45 year old unreleased album).

THEY OBVIOUSLY KNOW WHAT THEY'RE DOING.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
TV Forces
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1210 on: August 08, 2012, 01:04:18 PM »

What do you mean by "wall of secrecy" policy?  Don't all groups & their management schedule their releases for specific times and wait until a certain time to publish press releases about them?  I'm failing to see how what the Beach Boys do is any different from all the other bands out there.  It is marketing.

No.  I don't know.  Yes.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2012, 01:06:27 PM by TV Forces » Logged
PhilCohen
« Reply #1211 on: August 08, 2012, 01:08:45 PM »

What do you mean by "wall of secrecy" policy?  Don't all groups schedule their releases for specific times and wait until a certain time to release press releases about them?  I'm failing to see how what the Beach Boys do is any different from all the other bands out there.  It is marketing.

No, I don't know, Yes.

Other artists and labels build up hype by revealing partial or full tracklistings months in advance of an archival release, but not Capitol, not when the artists are The Beach Boys.

Actually, I'm getting very very bored with this whole thing, though 3 of the Japanese discs will probably arrive here next week.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2012, 01:10:35 PM by PhilCohen » Logged
DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1212 on: August 08, 2012, 01:09:12 PM »

There is no wall of secrecy.

They make announcements based on the market and release dates, factoring in the distance between the previous release and upcoming releases. This is standard business practice.

The functions of an 'official announcement' are to generate hype, get pre-orders, and answer potential questions in bulk form. Otherwise, the records would just appear on the shelf whenever they are released. Kinda like how most records came out in the pre-internet era.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2012, 01:10:36 PM by DonnyL » Logged

drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1213 on: August 08, 2012, 01:19:00 PM »

What do you mean by "wall of secrecy" policy?  Don't all groups schedule their releases for specific times and wait until a certain time to release press releases about them?  I'm failing to see how what the Beach Boys do is any different from all the other bands out there.  It is marketing.

No, I don't know, Yes.

Other artists and labels build up hype by revealing partial or full tracklistings months in advance of an archival release, but not Capitol, not when the artists are The Beach Boys.

Actually, I'm getting very very bored with this whole thing, though 3 of the Japanese discs will probably arrive here next week.
MY CDs from CDBANQ showed up today. Can't wait to get home from work to give a listen. Phil, watch your mailbox and/or doorstep.

EDIT: False alarm.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2012, 03:49:26 PM by drbeachboy » Logged

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Catbirdman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1214 on: August 08, 2012, 01:57:24 PM »

So much to be happy about here.

Justin's point that "we just don't know" is key. What we DO know is that we have 12 glorious reissues coming out, at least 9 of which are must-buys if you're looking to complete your set of mono/stereo versions. We also know there is a greatest hits thing that at worst is a nice little tidbit. I'm happy for that, too. And we know there WILL be a box set TBA.

What we don't know:
1. What will be on that box set
1a. How much, if any, "new" unreleased stuff we will get our mitts on
2. When/if the remaining albums will be reissued, especially Wild Honey

As for #2: EgoHanger1966 made a great point, that Surf's Up 1967 was found while doing research for Wild Honey. That is a very good sign. I would bet that album will eventually come out in stereo, and that other albums will come out, too. But we just don’t know yet.

As for #1/1a: that's a murkier crystal ball. I am anxiously awaiting the veil to be lowered there. It will be difficult, because my appetite is so unreasonably ravenous – I want SO much, and I can imagine SO much. To an extent, I can relate to Phil here, and I care about the same things. But there’s no benefit in wallowing in what we don’t know yet. Better to bask in what we DO know.

My real name is Peter Aaron Beyer. I live in Baltimore, Maryland, USA.
monicker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1215 on: August 08, 2012, 03:04:43 PM »

TJI, from someone who heard the Japanese material (can't reveal source or anything else, alas):

there are some digital "clicks" or clipping sounds on the tracks. ...

Here we go again...Please say it isn't so.  Angry

Don't be eccentric, this is a BEACH BOYS forum, for God's sake!
theCOD
« Reply #1216 on: August 08, 2012, 03:18:13 PM »

TJI, from someone who heard the Japanese material (can't reveal source or anything else, alas):

LOL

Maybe Mark needs to be trained on working with digital audio? He just can't get it right.
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1217 on: August 08, 2012, 03:23:21 PM »

LOL

Maybe Mark needs to be trained on working with digital audio? He just can't get it right.

Wow, what a demeaning statement. I should hope he doesn't pop in here and read that. The man is a professional - and his work on Pet Sounds in stereo alone qualify him as worthy to handle the Beach Boys catalog. While I may not like everything he mixes, I don't think anyone here is in the position to suggest he needs training in any aspect of the field.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
PhilCohen
« Reply #1218 on: August 08, 2012, 03:52:51 PM »

There are additional stages, after Mark Linett mixes the recordings, and before the discs get pressed, where faults can be introduced. Mark mixes the recordings, but, as far as I know, he doesn't do the mastering,
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1219 on: August 08, 2012, 03:57:21 PM »

Today, SDSN and SS will certainly be day 1 purchases.  The rest? Eventually.
PhilCohen
« Reply #1220 on: August 08, 2012, 04:36:26 PM »

No, I don't know, Yes.

MY CDs from CDBANQ showed up today. Can't wait to get home from work to give a listen. Phil, watch your mailbox and/or doorstep.

EDIT: False alarm.

Obviously, because you'd have to be at home to sign for a registered shipment from CD Banq.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #1221 on: August 08, 2012, 04:53:11 PM »

This bit of the press release had me worried:

"A deluxe, career-spanning 2CD box and digital collection titled Greatest Hits: 50 Big Ones will also be released, featuring 50 Beach Boys favorites… "

Then this bit made me a happy boy:

"A career-spanning Beach Boys 50th Anniversary box set is planned for release later this year by Capitol/EMI.  Details about the special commemorative release will be announced soon."

So, a deluxe, career-spanning 2CD Greatest Hits box, and a career-spanning Beach Boys 50th Anniversary box.

Throw in a world tour, TSS, 12 remastered albums with mono/stereo couplings, a DVD/Blu-Ray, a new (high charting) album, two singles, a Readers Digest comp, a WalMart ZinePak, various documentaries… and I have to say I'm rather disappointed overall by the lack of support for the anniversary.  I was rather hoping that I might get a blow-up Beach Boy with every third purchase.

“We live in divisive times.”
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1222 on: August 08, 2012, 04:59:01 PM »

Throw in a world tour, TSS, 12 remastered albums with mono/stereo couplings, a DVD/Blu-Ray, a new (high charting) album, two singles, a Readers Digest comp, a WalMart ZinePak, various documentaries… and I have to say I'm rather disappointed overall by the lack of support for the anniversary.  I was rather hoping that I might get a blow-up Beach Boy with every third purchase.

LOL

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #1223 on: August 08, 2012, 05:01:43 PM »

A blow-up cheerleader might be possible.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1224 on: August 08, 2012, 05:04:06 PM »

A blow-up cheerleader might be possible.

We know at least Mike would endorse that!

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 46 47 48 [49] 50 51 52 53 54 ... 104 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx