gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 07:01:09 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 44 45 46 [47] 48 49 50 51 52 ... 104 Go Down Print
Author Topic: New Beach Boys 2012 Remasters!  (Read 566711 times)
Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #1150 on: August 08, 2012, 07:52:04 AM »

So a half dozen 1960's albums are apparently being sent into permanent exile?

Yes, they are burning the master tapes of Wild Honey and Surfin' Safari as we speak. The Final Solution to strengthen the strain. Heil Heider!
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #1151 on: August 08, 2012, 07:58:59 AM »

A partial end to the "Wall of Secrecy". Way overdue. So a half dozen 1960's albums are apparently being sent into permanent exile?

Exactly Phil. As usual you've hit the nail right on the head Roll Eyes

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1152 on: August 08, 2012, 08:02:52 AM »

A partial end to the "Wall of Secrecy". Way overdue. So a half dozen 1960's albums are apparently being sent into permanent exile?

Really Phil? Are they coming into people's houses and removing all traces of Surfin' Safari, Wild Honey, Friends, Stack o' Tracks, 20/20 and all of the Brother albums after Surf's Up? Gosh, that does stink.

Oh wait, they aren't doing that. And I would image that they likely will be reissuing those at some point too. Actually, I'm pretty sure you'd probably still complain even if they did put them all out right now, because you'd say you couldn't possibly afford them all at this time, so how dare they put them out!
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1153 on: August 08, 2012, 08:03:41 AM »

Exactly Phil. As usual you've hit the nail right on the head Roll Eyes

And by "nail" we mean "your thumb".  Evil
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1154 on: August 08, 2012, 08:10:21 AM »

This is why people dislike you.

As the Tokens said...don't cry, sing along with the music.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1155 on: August 08, 2012, 08:12:41 AM »

It's a big catalog. I imagine if they do the single album approach, then we could be talking doing this over a three year period or so.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2012, 08:13:59 AM by drbeachboy » Logged

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Quzi
Smiley Smile Associate

Eagerly awaiting tHe BeDRoOM TaPES

View Profile
« Reply #1156 on: August 08, 2012, 08:55:47 AM »

Have they always listed Kokomo as being sourced off the Cocktail soundtrack instead of Still Cruisin'? If they're trying to hide the latter from the public conciousness, good on 'em  Wink

"A/S/L"?
"Age:24. That's when Brian Wilson made Pet Sounds. Sex: Brian Wilson was having loads of sex with Marilyn when he made Pet Sounds. Location: Gold Star Studios, where Brian Wilson assembled with the Wrecking Crew to make Pet Sounds. Hbu?"
PhilCohen
« Reply #1157 on: August 08, 2012, 09:21:28 AM »

After offering "Sunflower" & "Surf's Up" as a twofer, offering them in 2012 on two separate discs(and with no bonus tracks) is simply a poor value.

After making such an effort(in 2011) to give the fans everything that they wanted(or at least everything possible, given the still-existing tapes) in the 5-CD + vinyl + book "Smile Sessions" box set, I'm disappointed that the 2012 "50th Anniversary" archival campaign has been poorly coordinated, and falls far short of what it could have been.

Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #1158 on: August 08, 2012, 09:22:15 AM »

After offering "Sunflower" & "Surf's Up" as a twofer, offering them in 2012 on two separate discs(and with no bonus tracks) is simply a poor value.

After making such an effort(in 2011) to give the fans everything that they wanted(or at least everything possible, given the still-existing tapes) in the 5-CD + vinyl + book "Smile Sessions" box set, I'm disappointed that the 2012 "50th Anniversary" archival campaign has been poorly coordinated, and falls far short of what it could have been.

You cannot be real.
GoofyJeff
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1159 on: August 08, 2012, 09:27:10 AM »

I'm disappointed that the 2012 "50th Anniversary" archival campaign has been poorly coordinated, and falls far short of what it could have been.

When are you ever NOT disappointed?

Seriously, 2012 has been an amazing year thusfar, and it isn't over yet.  Remember, there is still the Box Set to look forward to which we know little to nothing about.  Plus who's to say that the rest of the albums in the catalog won't be re-released.  Why, just because Capitol hasn't told us their plans RIGHT NOW doesn't mean that things won't be continuing to come down the pipe for some time yet.

"Because of the attitude of a few mental dinosaurs intent on exploiting our initial success, Brian's huge talent has never been fully appreciated in America and the potential of the group has been stifled.... If the Beatles had suffered this kind of misrepresentation, they would have never got past singing 'Please Please Me' and 'I Wanna Hold Your Hand' and leaping around in Beatle suits."
-Dennis Wilson, 1970
sparkydog1725
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1160 on: August 08, 2012, 09:28:24 AM »

I'm probably too noob to say this, but: "Shut. Up. PLEASE." You're like a fucking mosquito buzzing around, spreading negativity, accomplishing nothing positive.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2012, 09:31:14 AM by sparkydog1725 » Logged
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1161 on: August 08, 2012, 09:35:50 AM »

Packaging:

Two discs packaged in a lift top box including an extended booklet with newly written liner notes by Rolling Stone contributing editor David Wild + 7 collectible band postcards.

Description:

The Beach Boys' new 50th Anniversary Greatest Hits: 50 Big Ones collection features the band's most popular songs, including "California Girls," "Good Vibrations," "Surfin' U.S.A.," "Wouldn't It Be Nice," "God Only Knows," "Kokomo," and two songs from the band's newest studio album -- the title track "That's Why God Made The Radio" and a new single version of "Isn't It Time,"

For five decades, America's first pop band to reach the 50 year milestone has recorded and performed the music that has become the world's favorite soundtrack to summer. Founded in Hawthorne, California in 1961, The Beach Boys were originally comprised of the three teenaged Wilson brothers: Brian, Carl and Dennis, their cousin Mike Love, and school friend Al Jardine. In 1962, neighbor David Marks joined the group for their first wave of hits with Capitol Records, leaving in late 1963, and in 1965, Bruce Johnston joined the band when Brian Wilson retired from touring to focus on writing and producing for the group.

The Beach Boys signed with Capitol Records in July 1962 and released their first album, Surfin' Safari, that same year. The album spent 37 weeks on the Billboard chart, launching the young group known for its shimmering vocal harmonies and relaxed California style into international stardom. The Wilson/Love collaboration resulted in many huge international chart hits, and under Brian Wilson's musical leadership, the band's initial surf-rock focus was soon broadened to include other themes, making The Beach Boys America's preeminent band of the 1960s.

http://www.amazon.com/Greatest-Hits-50-Big-Ones/dp/B008LA7RH0/ref=sr_1_12?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1344443541&sr=1-12&keywords=beach+boys
PhilCohen
« Reply #1162 on: August 08, 2012, 09:46:53 AM »

You cannot be real.

I can indeed be real. In the 1990's, when the late Paul Atkinson(the ex-Zombies guitarist) was running A&R at Capitol Records, he told the (now-defunct) compact disc newsletter "ICE Magazine" that there were enough unreleased 1970's Beach Boys songs to fill a 2-CD set. Apparently, one or more group members(reportedly Mike Love) opposed the release of such a set, but it makes the point that there was an adequate supply of unreleased tracks to create expanded editions of all the 1970's albums.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1163 on: August 08, 2012, 09:47:44 AM »

You're like a f***ing mosquito buzzing around, spreading negativity, accomplishing nothing positive.

I was thinking exactly that.

Phil, take a look at your post history (found here: http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php?action=profile;u=1170;sa=showPosts), read all of your ridiculous predictions/depressing comments, compare those posts to reality, and see how disillusioned you are.

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #1164 on: August 08, 2012, 09:49:47 AM »

A friend sent this to me after a bit of badgering on my part, saying he couldn't share (he rarely posts, but knows people in charge read the boards and is a bit paranoid) but wanted to go a bit more in depth with a review of the stereo Smiley Smile tracks....
Wow, nice read!  Thanks (to your friend as well) for sharing that.  Can't wait to get these remasters!!!

Head Spin

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1165 on: August 08, 2012, 09:50:03 AM »

You cannot be real.

I can indeed be real. In the 1990's, when the late Paul Atkinson(the ex-Zombies guitarist) was running A&R at Capitol Records, he told the (now-defunct) compact disc newsletter "ICE Magazine" that there were enough unreleased 1970's Beach Boys songs to fill a 2-CD set. Apparently, one or more group members(reportedly Mike Love) opposed the release of such a set, but it makes the point that there was an adequate supply of unreleased tracks to create expanded editions of all the 1970's albums.

Wait and see what is in the boxset. Maybe the boys thought it best that the tracklisting for the re-issues stayed true to their original form (thus no bonus tracks).

TV Forces
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1166 on: August 08, 2012, 09:51:06 AM »

OK, I think you're just having a laugh now.  You can't possibly be this negative ALL the time.
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #1167 on: August 08, 2012, 09:55:22 AM »

OK, I think you're just having a laugh now.  You can't possibly be this negative ALL the time.

Exactly.  He can't be a real person.  Either this is an alter ego to relieve stress, or he's a robot designed by mad scientists to suck any joy out of existing as a human being.
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #1168 on: August 08, 2012, 09:58:20 AM »

Bonus tracks would be welcome for those two albums.  But getting Smiley Smile, Summer Days and Today! in stereo is ...um, (how should I put this...) INSANE!!!  Heck....just getting Smiley Smile in Stereo -- that would have fueled most of us on this forum for 2 or 3 years!!

Not too mention...Smile Sessions, New Album, Box Set, two greatest hits packs for the new fans.  Unbelievable.  I'm still afraid it might all be a dream.

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1169 on: August 08, 2012, 10:05:10 AM »

Bonus tracks would be welcome for those two albums.  But getting Smiley Smile, Summer Days and Today! in stereo is ...um, (how should I put this...) INSANE!!!  Heck....just getting Smiley Smile in Stereo -- that would have fueled most of us on this forum for 2 or 3 years!!

Not too mention...Smile Sessions, New Album, Box Set, two greatest hits packs for the new fans.  Unbelievable.  I'm still afraid it might all be a dream.

Seriously, we have been absolutely blessed. I'm so fortunate to have become a Beach Boys fan at this time! It's seems unbelievable to me that all this is happening.

It must be really great for people who have been following the Beach Boys through their whole career.

Lookit
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1170 on: August 08, 2012, 10:09:21 AM »

Quite simply the most embarassing thing you've ever posted, which is no small feat given your numerous, inane postings on here.

I talked your folks out of making you cut off your head.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #1171 on: August 08, 2012, 10:28:08 AM »

Mark Linett knows the fans want Wild Honey in Stereo.

He should have done something about it  Huh

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1172 on: August 08, 2012, 10:31:10 AM »

There is still a lot of 2012 left, no need to close the book on more remasters quite yet.  We'll have to wait and see.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1173 on: August 08, 2012, 10:32:52 AM »

I am not insatiable, nor am I super-rich, so I will carefully plan what I really need from the upcoming bonanza. TSS was a must, of course. But do I need separate new CDs of 'Sunflower' and 'Surf's Up' sans bonus material, whilst the twofer still stands at my retailer's for a mere € 5.99?

I think I know the answer, and my name is not Phil Cohen.

To each his own, I guess. Also in this matter.

But I would truly rave if 'Smiley Smile' and 'Wild Honey' would suddenly be in that retailer's racks. In stereo.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1174 on: August 08, 2012, 10:36:30 AM »

Once again, Surf's Up '67 was found during research on the Wild Honey - I'm sure it will come out. Maybe in a different configuration than the current remasters, and that's why it's seperate.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 44 45 46 [47] 48 49 50 51 52 ... 104 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx