gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680810 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 12:04:25 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 43 44 45 [46] 47 48 49 50 51 ... 104 Go Down Print
Author Topic: New Beach Boys 2012 Remasters!  (Read 570915 times)
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #1125 on: August 07, 2012, 07:59:32 PM »

As I've been saying for a good few months, the release of TSS and the entire 50th anniversary ruckus were/are all part of the bigger gameplan, which was instigated summer 2010. Drink deeply now, the well's running dry soon.

Well, dry at least for ten years or so, when another round of current tech reissues come rolling out (eg; 1990,2001,2012,TBA) - interspersed, perhaps, with a 2016 50th anniversary release of Pet Sounds, by which stage someone may have relocated the “LA” master so we can drool over a flat EQ of Trombone Dixie packaged in dyed green goat hair (I hope it’s dyed) - and maybe some MFSL's of "key" albums.

It's obviously fantastic that BB stuff remains out there and lives long, and I am envious of ye fans who getting their hands on this gear for the first time – and thankful for the amazing SS box; but, as a long time spender, I keep hearing that old record company maxim rolling through my head (the one that goes there’s one born every minute)

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1126 on: August 07, 2012, 08:40:49 PM »

Was just wonderin'. Seems like a whole lot of Beach Boys for a one year period, including TSS from last November.

As I've been saying for a good few months, the release of TSS and the entire 50th anniversary ruckus were/are all part of the bigger gameplan, which was instigated summer 2010. Drink deeply now, the well's running dry soon.

Gosh. That sounds pretty sad. No matter archival releases I suspect, after the box set?

Regardless though, SMiLE, That's Why God Made The Radio, 12 remaster/reissues, 50 Big Ones, and the box set! I never would have dreamt it.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1127 on: August 07, 2012, 08:52:30 PM »

So:

1. Cindy, Oh Cindy
2.  The Baker Man
3. Land Ahoy
4.  Fun, Fun, Fun single version
5.  Ganz Allein
6.  I Do
7.  Be True to Your School single
8.  All Dressed Up For School
9.  Little Honda alternate
10.  Don't Back Down alternate
11.  Little Girl I Once Knew
12.  Dance Dance Dance alternate
13.  I'm So Young Alternate
14.  Let Him Run Wild alternate
15.  Graduation Day
16.  Trombone Dixie
17.  You're Welcome
18.  Their Hearts Were Full of Spring
19.  Can't Wait Too Long
20.  Break Away
21.  Celebrate the News
22.  We're Together Again
23.  Walk On By
24.  Old Man River

I took out something that would be available elsewhere, namely GV sessions.  A strange album.  Disc two would be "new" bonus tracks, including, say, Live Again.

It is a bit odd. But you could add a couple of rarities from, say the GV boxed set (like the Surfin' USA piano demo) to give it some better known titles.
monicker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1128 on: August 07, 2012, 08:57:31 PM »

I know jmanley1 already commented on the 2009 remaster of Sunflower and Surf's Up vs the 2000 remaster (much appreciated) but does anyone else want to give their opinions on this? Since i haven't heard the 2009 remasters, i'm really curious how some of you compare 2009 with 2000, and i'm also curious about the lower generation used for the 2009 remasters, if the difference is big or slight. I'm asking because i'm still not sure if i'm going to pick up these two 2012 CDs.

Don't be eccentric, this is a BEACH BOYS forum, for God's sake!
Camus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1129 on: August 07, 2012, 09:24:08 PM »

God, you know what I wish they would release?

The "fast version" WMT found on the Secret Smile boot, I freakin' LOVE it but it is in such horrible, horrible, horrible quality.

Isn't this on Hawthorne in A1 Stereo? 
Al Jardine: Pick Up Artist
Smiley Smile Associate

I am an asexual walrus

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1130 on: August 07, 2012, 09:56:59 PM »

Nope, I'm talking about the one with what sounds like a harpsichord and handclaps.

Which song: Inappropriate relationship with sister-in-law

Which song: Gonna straight up bang you with "the wood".

Which song: Weather conditions make me horny

Which song: Lack of proper shoes leads to potential blood poisoning and death.

Which song: Who needs church? Let's do it on the couch.

Dennis: "Holy sh*t, Al, you're finally showing signs of developing facial hair!!!"
DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1131 on: August 07, 2012, 11:31:06 PM »

No way Denny's Drums was recorded in anything other than mono.  Drums were recorded in mono anyway, and stereo recording in the sense of capturing things in stereo, was not really something engineers were concerning themselves with.  Drums were recorded with one overhead and one on the kick, for the most part, in those days, and it would not really occur to people to put up ambient mics with the intention to do a stereo mix, which of course was never the goal anyway.  I'll bet everything I have DD was recorded in mono.

The Shut Down multis could be exploited more, I suppose.  I'm still hoping for track only DWB, or vox only DWB or ITPL, in terms of bonus-y type things.

I think they did some kind of subtle stereo reverb effects for the totally mono tracks on these new reissues. sounded like it on the 'our favorite recording sessions' clip i heard.

DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1132 on: August 07, 2012, 11:32:10 PM »

No way Denny's Drums was recorded in anything other than mono.  Drums were recorded in mono anyway, and stereo recording in the sense of capturing things in stereo, was not really something engineers were concerning themselves with.  Drums were recorded with one overhead and one on the kick, for the most part, in those days, and it would not really occur to people to put up ambient mics with the intention to do a stereo mix, which of course was never the goal anyway.  I'll bet everything I have DD was recorded in mono.

Aw man, just when I was gettin' all excited, you go and throw out this party-killer. Low-to-no likelihood of getting "Denny's Drums" in stereo?!? NOOOOOO!!!!!!

If I were Mark, and I'm not, of course, I would just put a nice sounding, conservative stereo reverb on the track.  It's not "true" stereo, as such, but wouldn't be half bad.

oops, just saw this! yeh, i think that's what he did.

DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1133 on: August 07, 2012, 11:37:50 PM »

Well, dry at least for ten years or so, when another round of current tech reissues come rolling out (eg; 1990,2001,2012,TBA) - interspersed, perhaps, with a 2016 50th anniversary release of Pet Sounds, by which stage someone may have relocated the “LA” master so we can drool over a flat EQ of Trombone Dixie packaged in dyed green goat hair (I hope it’s dyed) - and maybe some MFSL's of "key" albums.

It's obviously fantastic that BB stuff remains out there and lives long, and I am envious of ye fans who getting their hands on this gear for the first time – and thankful for the amazing SS box; but, as a long time spender, I keep hearing that old record company maxim rolling through my head (the one that goes there’s one born every minute)

we will inevitably reach a time in which the tapes no longer provide 'better' sound at some point ... in some ways, some of the older releases may well sound better. hence, the 1987 transfer used for that recent PS reissue -- the tape was simply in better shape then. I listened to an '80s CD copy of 'Endless Summer' the other day, and man some of those tracks sound really good.

I'd say AGD is right in that we are soon to reach a point when all is said and done and the catalog is ultimately preserved. 50 is about the max milestone a band can reach. of course, future re-discoveries and re-re-inventions are bound to occur.

I almost ordered those Japanese CDs! close one. my gut told me to hold out. I did score another mono orig. Pet Sounds for $8 in Sacramento last weekend at a shop simply called 'RECORDS'.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2012, 11:45:59 PM by DonnyL » Logged

obscurereference
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1134 on: August 08, 2012, 02:11:07 AM »

it would be nice to know what's happening to all of the former bonus tracks ...

Maybe the bonus tracks will now reside within the new box set that is set to be released?  I guess we'll see.

I'm hoping that the 'career spanning' box set will be a rarities box set.

With the 2012 remasters losing the bonus tracks, and 'Hawthorne, CA' and the GV box deleted there are suddenly lots of tracks that are no longer available, so maybe their master plan is to collect all of that stuff together into a new box with some extra rarities thrown in.

Otherwise it just seems kind of crazy to me that all of those tracks are no longer (legally) available to new fans.

Johnston65
Smiley Smile Associate

Can you even boogaloo it?

View Profile
« Reply #1135 on: August 08, 2012, 03:05:51 AM »

On Amazon we now have pictures and they truly are the 2012 remasters. Hallelujah!

Also, The GH has some bland artwork but it is expected from a compilation.
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #1136 on: August 08, 2012, 03:33:28 AM »

we will inevitably reach a time in which the tapes no longer provide 'better' sound at some point ... in some ways, some of the older releases may well sound better. hence, the 1987 transfer used for that recent PS reissue -- the tape was simply in better shape then. I listened to an '80s CD copy of 'Endless Summer' the other day, and man some of those tracks sound really good.

I'd say AGD is right in that we are soon to reach a point when all is said and done and the catalog is ultimately preserved. 50 is about the max milestone a band can reach. of course, future re-discoveries and re-re-inventions are bound to occur.

I almost ordered those Japanese CDs! close one. my gut told me to hold out. I did score another mono orig. Pet Sounds for $8 in Sacramento last weekend at a shop simply called 'RECORDS'.

Good call, DonnyL - you are correct to point out AGD was refering to remaining items in the vault, and my reissue fatigue got in the way of recognising and celebrating such specifics.  

I hope with the release of such material and the inevitable peaking of tape transfers, we will see the emergence or recognition of definitive and controlled editions which will form a staple catalog, and reduce blatant label ransacking (as opposed to the well crafted and considered items that do make it through).

And nice score on the PS orig!!!  The only one I have was worn to hell; although it's nice to know that TMK (who wrote their initials on the label) must have listened to it a lot!
« Last Edit: August 08, 2012, 05:33:55 AM by Alholio71 » Logged

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
TV Forces
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1137 on: August 08, 2012, 05:15:50 AM »

Aside from "Smiley Smile," these remasters aren't getting very good reviews at all.
NatureShowInStereo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1138 on: August 08, 2012, 06:07:34 AM »

What's all of the info we know about these remasters and upcoming releases as of right now? I think I'm off by a little.
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1139 on: August 08, 2012, 06:07:44 AM »

So, errr.....there's a reissue of Christmas Harmonies. I don't really understand why this random comp is being re-released.

http://www.amazon.com/Christmas-Harmonies-Beach-Boys/dp/B008ULRY8C/ref=sr_1_2?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1344431170&sr=1-2&keywords=beach+boys+christmas+harmonies
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1140 on: August 08, 2012, 06:17:31 AM »

So these are totally being released in the rest of the world now  Grin

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1141 on: August 08, 2012, 06:32:37 AM »

Cool!

the greatest hits tracklist is not a surprise, nothing really new expect for the new Isn't It Time single version, but the second cd of 50 big ones is sweet! quite faithfull to the songs they play on the current tour, so then again no Love You, tho there is 15 big ones, miu, la album songs.. it's not like they're ignoring late 70's stuff, but just Love You :/

still, sounds better than the Sounds Of Summer list! but definitely more excited about the remastered albums and mostly the boxset!!!
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1142 on: August 08, 2012, 06:45:12 AM »

Cool!

the greatest hits tracklist is not a surprise, nothing really new expect for the new Isn't It Time single version, but the second cd of 50 big ones is sweet! quite faithfull to the songs they play on the current tour, so then again no Love You, tho there is 15 big ones, miu, la album songs.. it's not like they're ignoring late 70's stuff, but just Love You :/

still, sounds better than the Sounds Of Summer list! but definitely more excited about the remastered albums and mostly the boxset!!!
Where are you seeing the track lists at?

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1143 on: August 08, 2012, 06:59:42 AM »

So, errr.....there's a reissue of Christmas Harmonies. I don't really understand why this random comp is being re-released.

http://www.amazon.com/Christmas-Harmonies-Beach-Boys/dp/B008ULRY8C/ref=sr_1_2?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1344431170&sr=1-2&keywords=beach+boys+christmas+harmonies

I assume the original Christmas tunes were mono and these are stereo, nes pa?
tansen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1144 on: August 08, 2012, 07:04:55 AM »

From the new Beach Boys Press Release:

http://brianwilsonlive.tumblr.com/

... The 12 Beach Boys studio albums have been digitally remastered by Mark Linett and will be released on CD and digitally, most featuring mono and stereo mixes. The albums are: Surfin’ U.S.A.; Surfer Girl; Little Deuce Coupe; Shut Down, Volume 2; All Summer Long; The Beach Boys Today!; Summer Days (And Summer Nights!!); Beach Boys Party!; Pet Sounds; Smiley Smile; Sunflower (stereo mix only); and Surf’s Up (stereo mix only). These releases mark the stereo debut of Smiley Smile and Beach Boys Party!, while The Beach Boys Today! and Summer Days (And Summer Nights!!) are being released in stereo for the first time in their entirety. The new releases include the first-ever stereo mixes of several key Beach Boys classics, including “Good Vibrations,” “Help Me, Rhonda,” “I Get Around,” and “409,” among others. ...

« Last Edit: August 08, 2012, 07:59:46 AM by tansen » Logged

Tansen - "He Who Commands an Army of Notes"
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1145 on: August 08, 2012, 07:12:00 AM »

tansen, thanks! I found the other thread too. Smiley

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
tansen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1146 on: August 08, 2012, 07:14:47 AM »

tansen, thanks! I found the other thread too. Smiley

Actually I found it over at the SH forums and figured it deserved its place here too.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2012, 07:37:10 AM by tansen » Logged

Tansen - "He Who Commands an Army of Notes"
PhilCohen
« Reply #1147 on: August 08, 2012, 07:18:33 AM »

A partial end to the "Wall of Secrecy". Way overdue. So a half dozen 1960's albums are apparently being sent into permanent exile?
GoofyJeff
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1148 on: August 08, 2012, 07:39:56 AM »

A partial end to the "Wall of Secrecy". Way overdue. So a half dozen 1960's albums are apparently being sent into permanent exile?

Damn Phil, simmer down dude. You're gonna have a heart attack! 

We still don't know what future plans for the catalog are, nor do we know the details of the box set.... which could either be a revamp of the 30 Years set or something akin to the Beatles box.  We just don't know.  Stop being all gloom n doom until we know for certain.  Chillax, Eeyore.

"Because of the attitude of a few mental dinosaurs intent on exploiting our initial success, Brian's huge talent has never been fully appreciated in America and the potential of the group has been stifled.... If the Beatles had suffered this kind of misrepresentation, they would have never got past singing 'Please Please Me' and 'I Wanna Hold Your Hand' and leaping around in Beatle suits."
-Dennis Wilson, 1970
TV Forces
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1149 on: August 08, 2012, 07:50:52 AM »

You sound like that guy who is mad because, after taxes, his lottery winnings are ONLY $63 million.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 43 44 45 [46] 47 48 49 50 51 ... 104 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx