gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 01:04:39 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 ... 104 Go Down Print
Author Topic: New Beach Boys 2012 Remasters!  (Read 566789 times)
mammy blue
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #325 on: July 02, 2012, 11:17:51 AM »

I'm hoping that the "skipping" of Wild Honey, Friends and 20/20 on this Japanese site is some kind of fluke. Just speaking for myself, Friends is one of my favorite BB albums and would benefit immensely from a new mix. This was really the last complete album we got of full-on Brian arrangements utilizing the Wrecking Crew, which in my mind forms a kind of loose trilogy with Pet Sounds and SMiLE.  There's a lot of detail that would be gained from a new mix, not that it would fully "replace" the original, but it would be fascinating.

"Skipping" those three albums, even if just for the first wave of releases, is like officially branding them as lesser works. Again, hopefully it's just not accurate as to what's really going on. Friends has been a well reviewed cult favorite and high on fans' lists for some time now, and Wild Honey is no slouch either!

The only stereo remixes are the albums that never had a true stereo mix to begin with. Even if they did reissue Friends in this line of remasters, I'm sure it would just contain the original 1969 stereo mix.

Are we sure about that? Well, I guess that will save me some money.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #326 on: July 02, 2012, 11:52:30 AM »

Wow...I can't wait to hear that Pet Sounds song that the Doors apparently covered. Smiley

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #327 on: July 02, 2012, 12:19:45 PM »

"Skipping" those three albums, even if just for the first wave of releases, is like officially branding them as lesser works. Again, hopefully it's just not accurate as to what's really going on. Friends has been a well reviewed cult favorite and high on fans' lists for some time now, and Wild Honey is no slouch either!

Oh for the love of....

Maybe they are simply holding them back so they can have a couple 60's albums left over to mix in with the inevitable second wave of slightly less respected 70's albums.

Or maybe they need a little more time. Sunflower and Surfs Up were ready a couple of years ago, so maybe that's why they made this wave of CDs and not the next.

Or maybe we should just cool our jets and wait and see what unfolds before we start assuming that Capitol Records and BRI have decided to send Friends and Wild Honey to some sort of musical concentration camp because of their inferiority. Sheesh. 
mammy blue
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #328 on: July 02, 2012, 12:29:52 PM »

Oh for the love of....

Maybe they are simply holding them back so they can have a couple 60's albums left over to mix in with the inevitable second wave of slightly less respected 70's albums.

Or maybe they need a little more time. Sunflower and Surfs Up were ready a couple of years ago, so maybe that's why they made this wave of CDs and not the next.

Or maybe we should just cool our jets and wait and see what unfolds before we start assuming that Capitol Records and BRI have decided to send Friends and Wild Honey to some sort of musical concentration camp because of their inferiority. Sheesh. 

I think you're overreacting, mate.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #329 on: July 02, 2012, 12:32:13 PM »

At 14 pages and growing, I think the board is overreacting to the very little information that's been put out.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
mammy blue
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #330 on: July 02, 2012, 12:33:29 PM »

Well, I wrote at least twice in my post that the Japanese info probably means nothing. Sorry to add speculation to speculation.
Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #331 on: July 02, 2012, 12:34:21 PM »

Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #332 on: July 02, 2012, 12:41:19 PM »

Lol, this whole board is always overreacting about everything.. post a banana gif and you'll see.
alanjames
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #333 on: July 02, 2012, 12:44:38 PM »

Anyone here pre-ordered the CDs? I'm waiting to see them in CD Japan.
Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

Son, don't wait till the break of day....

View Profile
« Reply #334 on: July 02, 2012, 04:35:51 PM »

All kidding aside, I hope AGD’s situation has improved.  He is much appreciated here, and missed when he is gone.

So.......  Everyone has an opinion about the Japanese masters, and in today’s egalitarian world, everyone’s opinion is “valid”.  Heh heh heh

Be that as it may.......

To me, the announcement of these Japanese re-masters is a slam to American/UK/European fans, unless they plan to offer the rest of us something.

I mean: Hello!  Did they forget about us?  C’mon people.

Son, don't wait till the break of day 'cause you know how time fades away......
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #335 on: July 02, 2012, 04:44:54 PM »

All kidding aside, I hope AGD’s situation has improved.  He is much appreciated here, and missed when he is gone.

So.......  Everyone has an opinion about the Japanese masters, and in today’s egalitarian world, everyone’s opinion is “valid”.  Heh heh heh

Be that as it may.......

To me, the announcement of these Japanese re-masters is a slam to American/UK/European fans, unless they plan to offer the rest of us something.

I mean: Hello!  Did they forget about us?  C’mon people.

I could make peace with the fact that they were Japan only - if Capitol/EMI doesn't think they'll make money off of them here, fine. I just want some more information!

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #336 on: July 02, 2012, 05:09:04 PM »

I have a question; I haven't read the entire thread so I apologize if this was covered.

These remasters are scheduled to be released in Japan only. What does that mean as it relates to the physical product? Can I assume that the album covers will be printed in English, but the liner notes (if any) and the titles printed on the actual CD will be printed in Japanese?

If the above assumption is true, would it cost THAT much money to produce the same CD's with English printing on them so they could be distributed in other countries?
WWDWD?
Smiley Smile Associate

What would Dennis Wilson do?

View Profile
« Reply #337 on: July 02, 2012, 06:04:36 PM »

Interestingly Chaos.com (an Aussie based online store) has the Twofers available for pre-order with a release date July 6, 2012. Are these new pressings of the old twofers? Does this mean we won't get those Japanese versions here? Or does it mean nothing at all?

http://www.chaos.com/search?q=BEACH+BOYS&t=all
18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #338 on: July 02, 2012, 06:13:34 PM »

Interestingly Chaos.com (an Aussie based online store) has the Twofers available for pre-order with a release date July 6, 2012. Are these new pressings of the old twofers? Does this mean we won't get those Japanese versions here? Or does it mean nothing at all?

ArtistBeach Boys
Number of Discs1
Recording EnvironmentStudio
Label / StudioEMI
Media Content Formatalbum
Original year of release1968
Media FormatAudio CD
Year of release2001
Cast & CrewThe Beach Boys (Music Performer)
Mark Linett (Reissue) (Producer

It’s like he hired a fashion consultant and told her to make him look “punchable.”
Some Guy, 2012
"Donald Trump makes Mike Love look like an asshole"
Me ,2015.
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #339 on: July 02, 2012, 06:18:34 PM »

Sad
WWDWD?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #340 on: July 02, 2012, 06:19:49 PM »

Yep. So it's clearly a re-pressing (or remaining stock)  of the 2001 twofers. Like I said -  If these are getting shipped out in Australia it could mean that we won't be getting the 2012 remasters anytime soon.

...or it could mean nothing at all.
18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #341 on: July 02, 2012, 06:23:59 PM »

Yep. So it's clearly a re-pressing (or remaining stock)  of the 2001 twofers. Like I said -  If these are getting shipped out in Australia it could mean that we won't be getting the 2012 remasters anytime soon.

...or it could mean nothing at all.

Yeah I wonder why? We had the twofers a few years back I bought them all.. Kids scratched them..

It’s like he hired a fashion consultant and told her to make him look “punchable.”
Some Guy, 2012
"Donald Trump makes Mike Love look like an asshole"
Me ,2015.
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #342 on: July 02, 2012, 06:37:54 PM »

What happened to AGD?

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #343 on: July 02, 2012, 06:40:21 PM »

Oh for the love of....

"Mate", he is responding to the overreaction of others. Don't be dense.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
TV Forces
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #344 on: July 03, 2012, 09:18:02 AM »

Why would you think these are the new pressings?  The new pressings don't have two different albums on each disc, but the stereo and mono mixes of an album.
mammy blue
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #345 on: July 03, 2012, 10:22:28 AM »

Oh for the love of....

"Mate", he is responding to the overreaction of others. Don't be dense.

You are my density.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2012, 10:23:44 AM by mammy blue » Logged
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #346 on: July 03, 2012, 10:49:09 AM »

LOL
Phoenix
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #347 on: July 03, 2012, 07:46:44 PM »

Why would you think these are the new pressings?  The new pressings don't have two different albums on each disc, but the stereo and mono mixes of an album.

Probably because that site only lists the twofers as "Available for Pre-order", meaning they aren't even out yet, meaning this run of them at least, is new.
WWDWD?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #348 on: July 03, 2012, 07:53:19 PM »

Sorry if there was confusion. I never assumed these were the brand news 2012 remasters.... I said "are these new pressings of the old twofers". I'm assuming they've printed up a new run of the old two-fers (due to there being a pre-order date). The alternative is that these are old-stock.

buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #349 on: July 04, 2012, 02:46:15 AM »

So what's the general consensus on these remasters? Japan only?

I'm not keen on the Beatles style strip down the side. Is that the de facto method of signaling a newly remastered back catalogue now?

I wish they would do something really creative with all the bonus cuts, considering how significant the Beach Boys' unreleased catalogue is.

If it was left up to me, I would gather the bonus cuts from each period and release a set of 'new' albums like Dylan's bootleg series. The series could contain official releases of Landlocked, Adult Child etc. If Neil Young can do it with Homegrown, Chrome Dreams and so on, why not The Beach Boys? Can you imagine how great a Smiley Smile/Wild Honey/Friends/20/20 outtakes collection could be? Who here would not drop a wad on a 5 or 6 album series or upwards, especially if each release was staggered?

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 ... 104 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx