gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680813 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 02:21:19 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 ... 104 Go Down Print
Author Topic: New Beach Boys 2012 Remasters!  (Read 570923 times)
virsago
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #275 on: June 30, 2012, 03:05:22 PM »

It's a bit premature to call the new stereo mixes "true" stereo when the previously-mono albums may not have all the elements necessary for a true stereo mix (Today! definitely doesn't).  It'll be interesting to see how they handle this.
dirwuf
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #276 on: June 30, 2012, 03:23:42 PM »

Do we have any proof of this beyond the original advert ?

http://www.emimusic.jp/intl/beachboys/release/index.php
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #277 on: June 30, 2012, 03:36:11 PM »

Are you acquainted with the international libel laws ? You've stated that I 'could' tell you, not 'might be able to'.

Oddly enough, I have had no part whatsoever in these Japanese reissues, and even had I been asked to contribute, I would have been unable to due to the difficult circumstances I found myself in at the time. However, you have stated that I do know if the discs will be released outside of Japan and by willfully withholding said info, will cause financial hardship to other fans. That, sir, is libelous. However, because you are such a complete mentally handicapped person and lacking in any shred of human decency (have you yet indicated any concern for Alan Boyd ?) I will step over your pitiful comments as I would a dog turd on the sidewalk. That said, should you continue to make such allegations, I will seek out your residence in Florida and burn it down, with your entire collection of records, CDs and bootlegs in it.

Whether it is "Could" or "Might be able to", even if you have inside information(as you seemed to for the "Smile" box set), you certainly won't tell us(as is your tradition/policy). My point is this: if you do know that the discs will be released (someday) outside Japan, you would be doing a very kind service for many Beach Boys fans to (make exception to your normal policy) and tell these fans, before they waste enormous amounts of money on the Japanese disc series.

Did you actually understand what I posted ? I didn't have anything to do with the Japanese remasters. I'm good, damn good, but even I can't tell anyone something I don't know.

As for the protecting my sources... you'll never understand, but it's called integrity, reliability and trustworthiness. It's why I have sources, and why you never, ever will.

I'm done with you. My life is currently sh*t enough without having to deal with your infantile persecution complex.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #278 on: June 30, 2012, 03:39:06 PM »

Do we have any proof of this beyond the original advert ?

http://www.emimusic.jp/intl/beachboys/release/index.php

Excellent. Even allowing for the translationese, that's pretty unequivocal.  Grin

hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #279 on: June 30, 2012, 03:43:42 PM »

See, we managed to tell AGD something HE DIDN'T KNOW!  Grin

Hope things are ok with you, AGD.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #280 on: June 30, 2012, 03:51:52 PM »

Same here, I feel bad watching you get massacred by Phil lol

Hey Phil, in case you haven't noticed, we all enjoy having AGD here, now you need to respect him.

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #281 on: June 30, 2012, 03:54:06 PM »

Best wishes AGD, hope your doing better and everybody is glad you are back.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
JohnMill
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #282 on: June 30, 2012, 03:58:33 PM »

Oh what did I miss?  Shocked

Oh nothing much Wall

God Bless California
For It Marks My Faith To See
You're The Only State With The Sacred Honor
....to sink into the sea
send me a picture and i'll tell you
Smiley Smile Associate

spilling my phector

View Profile
« Reply #283 on: June 30, 2012, 04:17:26 PM »

I forgot to mention that we have a great record store called 'Jerry's Records' in my area. Jerry told me that I wouldn't believe the amount of vinyl records that are purchased in the U.S. and shipped over to Japan. Very serious vinyl collectors over there. I'm not surprised by any of this.

I'm fortunate to be within 15 minutes of Jerry's.  He has literally over a million records in that store, and millions of others in personal storage.  I think he was in an episode of Hoarders.

that's it, who here wants to touch d***s? all in a row, just run your hand across several of them and hit them like you're bret hart tagging your fans as you approach the ring wearing teh pink sunglasses in 1993     ----runnersdialzero

We have a little extra meat onstage. The audience can feel it.   --Al Jardine

pLeAsUrE iSlAnD!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #284 on: June 30, 2012, 04:20:40 PM »

I'm pretty sure I can't get excited about this unless "Wild Honey" is included

That's the only record I seriously think needs a remaster, the rest are fine IMO

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #285 on: June 30, 2012, 06:05:53 PM »

Hey Slim Shady, where's the photo of Brian you have for your avatar from? Cool pic, don't think I've seen it before.
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #286 on: June 30, 2012, 06:17:55 PM »

Quote from: AGD
That said, should you continue to make such allegations, I will seek out your residence in Florida and burn it down, with your entire collection of records, CDs and bootlegs in it.

Wow, that's brutal! Have you ever thought of writing a book of threats?

If you keep this up, punk, your prized collection of rare Mike Love Not War bootlegs will be stamped to dust beneath my leathery leather boots! And don't bother crying to your mom - she already agreed with me that you're nothing. We decided that today while she was over at my pad listening to my copy of Bruce Johnston's Going Public in reverse!
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #287 on: June 30, 2012, 09:06:14 PM »

Oddly enough, I have had no part whatsoever in these Japanese reissues, and even had I been asked to contribute, I would have been unable to due to the difficult circumstances I found myself in at the time. However, you have stated that I do know if the discs will be released outside of Japan and by willfully withholding said info, will cause financial hardship to other fans. That, sir, is libelous. However, because you are such a complete mentally handicapped person and lacking in any shred of human decency (have you yet indicated any concern for Alan Boyd ?) I will step over your pitiful comments as I would a dog turd on the sidewalk.

Quit takin' the bait, AGD... 

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #288 on: June 30, 2012, 09:20:33 PM »

You know what else is b.s.? That "Many Moods of Murry" is STILL only avaliable in Japan. Can someone refresh my memory? Who won the war? 'cause it seems to be we've been getting the short end of the stick for a long while now. And what's with all the Japanese bonus tracks? You think I like having to pay crazy import prices just so I can hear "Meant For YOu/Friends" on the "Pet SOunds LIve" CD? It's an insult! It's an outrage! We didn't land on Plymouth Rock! Plymouth Rock landed on us!!!!!
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #289 on: June 30, 2012, 09:38:37 PM »

Hey Slim Shady, where's the photo of Brian you have for your avatar from? Cool pic, don't think I've seen it before.

New to me too

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Phoenix
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #290 on: June 30, 2012, 09:39:25 PM »

Best wishes AGD, hope your doing better and everybody is glad you are back.

This!  Big time.

I hope things are well (enough) and get even better soon.
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #291 on: June 30, 2012, 09:57:36 PM »

Are you acquainted with the international libel laws ? You've stated that I 'could' tell you, not 'might be able to'.

I don't know about international libel laws, but in the US, libel requires that the plaintiff's reputation take a hit in the community.  AGD will never succeed in a libel action under that requirement; his reputation is utterly unimpeachable in the Beach Boys community.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #292 on: June 30, 2012, 10:23:31 PM »

You know what else is b.s.? That "Many Moods of Murry" is STILL only avaliable in Japan.

Didn't get my CD from Japan. And yes, it's legit.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Many-Moods-Murry-Wilson/dp/B001SGFA3C/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1341120178&sr=8-1

Jaspy
Smiley Smile Associate

That's not me

View Profile WWW
« Reply #293 on: June 30, 2012, 10:55:14 PM »

New to me too

Great pic from a great era.
Makes me long for a special Super Deluxe Edition of "Sunflower"+"Surf's Up" with all the great songs from that period. "I Just Got My Pay", "Games 2 Can Play", "Good Time", "Our Sweet Love" (Brian BV mix), "California Slide" (Dennis), "Back Home" etc. All those had a special vibe I like. (to post something on topic, sort of)
« Last Edit: June 30, 2012, 10:56:11 PM by Jaspy » Logged

GhostyTMRS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #294 on: July 01, 2012, 12:00:56 AM »

Well...these look nice but if they're set up to resemble the Beatles 2009 remasters I'll pass. The damn glue came off the cardboard sleeves on the Beatles remasters and stuck to about half the CD's!  Angry

I know it's not the PC thing to say, but gimme plastic any day.

That said, I'm happy with the twofers so I doubt I'll be buying this stuff over again unless they came loaded with tons of unreleased bonus tracks.   
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #295 on: July 01, 2012, 12:33:35 AM »

You know what else is b.s.? That "Many Moods of Murry" is STILL only avaliable in Japan.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Many-Moods-Murry-Wilson/dp/B001SGFA3C/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1341120178&sr=8-1

Needledrop though, am I right?

“We live in divisive times.”
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #296 on: July 01, 2012, 01:40:33 AM »

I saw this in HMV the other day - AT A REASONABLE PRICE! I wouldn't buy it though...

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
tansen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #297 on: July 01, 2012, 04:19:45 AM »

And why is it that Japan gets priority for this new Beach Boys archival product, when the core of the group's fan base is in North America, The UK & Europe? Do these markets and these fans not matter to Capitol & EMI ?

Right, I forget sometimes: fans on message boards with absolutely no demographic data know more about how the record industry works than experts with years of experience and information.

It looks like they evaluated where demand would be for Beach Boys product, theorized that a reissued catalog would do well in Japan (or at least would be a good place to test such a release), and are acting on that. Alternately: the Japanese localization of the reissues is the first one ready, and the US/UK/European versions aren't. Take your pick, but there's nothing insane or unfair about this announcement.

I like to collect vinyl and i jumped on the 'Lounge' music revival bandwagon in the 1990's. I became a fan of a singer named Julie London (who is from the U.S.). Great voice and even better LP covers...she always posed in a sexy, provocative way. Her albums were released on Liberty records in the 1950's-1960's. Japan gave her entire back catalog the 'mini-lp- treatment recreating all the details of the vinyl lps. Amazing job. All the U.S. had to offer were greatest hits compilations.

As a side note - my favourite version of 'Fly me to the moon' is by Julie London. Smiley

Tansen - "He Who Commands an Army of Notes"
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #298 on: July 01, 2012, 06:37:21 AM »

Needledrop though, am I right?

I have this version too and yes it was taken from a needledrop. Sounds great untill you listen to it on headphones and then you can hear the odd crackle.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #299 on: July 01, 2012, 06:39:29 AM »

And why is it that Japan gets priority for this new Beach Boys archival product, when the core of the group's fan base is in North America, The UK & Europe? Do these markets and these fans not matter to Capitol & EMI ?

Right, I forget sometimes: fans on message boards with absolutely no demographic data know more about how the record industry works than experts with years of experience and information.

It looks like they evaluated where demand would be for Beach Boys product, theorized that a reissued catalog would do well in Japan (or at least would be a good place to test such a release), and are acting on that. Alternately: the Japanese localization of the reissues is the first one ready, and the US/UK/European versions aren't. Take your pick, but there's nothing insane or unfair about this announcement.

I like to collect vinyl and i jumped on the 'Lounge' music revival bandwagon in the 1990's. I became a fan of a singer named Julie London (who is from the U.S.). Great voice and even better LP covers...she always posed in a sexy, provocative way. Her albums were released on Liberty records in the 1950's-1960's. Japan gave her entire back catalog the 'mini-lp- treatment recreating all the details of the vinyl lps. Amazing job. All the U.S. had to offer were greatest hits compilations.

As a side note - my favourite version of 'Fly me to the moon' is by Julie London. Smiley

Great version, great singer!
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 ... 104 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx