gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681327 Posts in 27634 Topics by 4081 Members - Latest Member: zappi June 04, 2024, 01:49:34 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 62 63 64 [65] 66 67 68 69 70 ... 104 Go Down Print
Author Topic: New Beach Boys 2012 Remasters!  (Read 574864 times)
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #1600 on: August 21, 2012, 05:22:59 PM »

I imagine it's an error. If so, the price is still tentative.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
PhilCohen
« Reply #1601 on: August 21, 2012, 07:38:47 PM »

Actually back in the 1990's(when I was a compiler) the blank tape manufacturers who manufactured the defective tape conceded that they were to blame for the sticky tape situation, and they offered the baking services for free.

Phil, I remember reading your name numerous times, I think as both a reporter and compiler, in the old ICE mag.  Out of curiosity, what CD sets did you compile?

I compiled the following:

Small Faces-The Immediate Years(4-CD)
The Nice-The Immediate Years(3-CD)
Humble Pie-The Immediate Years(2-CD)
Various-Pop Goez Immediate(2-CD)
Various-Immediate's Blitz of Hitz(2-CD)
The Yardbirds-Train Kept A-Rollin'(The Complete Giorgio Gomelsky Productions)(4-CD)
The Yardbirds-The Yardbirds Story By Giorgio Gomelsky(4-CD)

I had planned an 8-CD set of the complete singles of "Immediate Records" & its subsidiary labels "Instant" & "Revolution". Both Charly Records(who has the non-UK rights to the recordings) & Castle Communications(now Sanctuary Music)(who have the UK-only rights) utilized the same memorabilia consultant, a man named Barry Green, and he acted as a sort of double agent, sharing my ideas with Castle Communications, and the result was that Castle got their 6-CD set onto the market before I could complete my 8-CD set. I was planning to use Immediate's slogan("Happy to be part of the industry of human happiness") as title for my project, but, thanks to Barry Green, Castle used that as the title for their box set. Anyhow, after I went back to the U.S.A. Charly recompiled my 8-CD set into four non-chronological 2-CD sets, and unfortunately only two of those four 2-CD sets were ever released, after Charly's distributor/licensee "Snapper Music" lost interest in these projects. Both Castle's project and my project involved cloning from existing CD's, and taking an occasional track from vinyl, yet my planned 8-CD set would have had generally better sound quality than Castle's 6-CD set. Incidentally, Castle later released a 1-CD set of singles from the "Instant" & "Revolution" labels. The disc is called "Instant Karma".

Note: the booklets in "Blitz of Hitz" & "Pop Goez Immediate" advertise two further sets "Itz Immediate" & "immediate Hits, Oddz & Endz". Unfortunately, they don't exist, and Charly's staff never decided the track listings. I have no idea what they would have consisted of; only that they would have been derived from analogue to digital transfers that I supervised and from sources that I selected or supplied.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2012, 08:14:04 PM by PhilCohen » Logged
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #1602 on: August 21, 2012, 07:52:19 PM »

Oh man, that Small Faces box is one of my favorite things ever. Major props to you on that.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #1603 on: August 21, 2012, 08:38:29 PM »

wow, we just ate some humble pie..

Phil, you got skills

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #1604 on: August 22, 2012, 02:25:06 AM »

I didn't realise the UK release date was so soon! Stuck in a pre-order for SS, SD and Today!

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #1605 on: August 22, 2012, 02:41:53 AM »

I didn't realise the UK release date was so soon! Stuck in a pre-order for SS, SD and Today!

Still think that's an error and that they'll be out late Sept (which will make for an expensive week, as I want to go to a couple of gigs in London that week…!)

“We live in divisive times.”
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #1606 on: August 22, 2012, 09:38:29 AM »

Still think that's an error and that they'll be out late Sept (which will make for an expensive week, as I want to go to a couple of gigs in London that week…!)

I hope it's right, I made a trek into town just to pay the money into my account!

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
Mark H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1607 on: August 22, 2012, 10:08:40 AM »

play.com has the date as 24th Sept so yeh, looks like a mistake. 
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #1608 on: August 22, 2012, 10:23:40 AM »

play.com has the date as 24th Sept so yeh, looks like a mistake. 

Maybe if we think and wish and hope and pray it might come true...

PhilCohen
« Reply #1609 on: August 22, 2012, 08:44:36 PM »

Three new Mark Linett stereo mixes debut on the new mono + stereo "Two-Fer" of "The Beach Boys Today". They Are "Do You Wanna Dance", "Don't Hurt My Little Sister" & "In The Back of My Mind".

Certainly, considering the difficulties involved, "Do You Wanna Dance" is a decent, but very reverberant effort.

As for "Don't Hurt My Little Sister" & "In The Back of My Mind", I know that you won't be surprised to hear me say this, but I prefer the "Sea of Tunes" bootleg stereo mixes, because they match very closely with the sonic texture of the original mono mixes.

I have no problem with the unfaded ending on "in The Back of My Mind"(Linett's mix & the "Sea of Tunes" mix both have the unfaded ending), but Mark Linett's decision to eliminate Dennis Wilson's overdubbed voice(except during the middle eight) is strange and unnecessary revisionism.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1610 on: August 22, 2012, 08:48:49 PM »

Three new Mark Linett stereo mixes debut on the new mono + stereo "Two-Fer" of "The Beach Boys Today". They Are "Do You Wanna Dance", "Don't Hurt My Little Sister" & "In The Back of My Mind".

Certainly, considering the difficulties involved, "Do You Wanna Dance" is a decent, but very reverberant effort.

As for "Don't Hurt My Little Sister" & "In The Back of My Mind", I know that you won't be surprised to hear me say this, but I prefer the "Sea of Tunes" bootleg stereo mixes, because they match very closely with the sonic texture of the original mono mixes.

I have no problem with the unfaded ending on "in The Back of My Mind"(Linett's mix & the "Sea of Tunes" mix both have the unfaded ending), but Mark Linett's decision to eliminate Dennis Wilson's overdubbed voice(except during the middle eight) is strange and unnecessary revisionism.

The doubling is a little messy, and apparently Brian wasn't a fan of it. I believe, judging from the clips, one of the vocals is just a bit more prominent than the other? I haven't heard the final result.

The bridge is Carl and, I believe, Brian, by the way, so it makes sense that it's still there.

Don't know how you can prefer the SOT mixes with the vocals panned hard left (or right, whichever). Can't stand that sh*t. Just me, though.

Who did the other stereo mixes?

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
PhilCohen
« Reply #1611 on: August 23, 2012, 05:28:41 AM »

The doubling is a little messy, and apparently Brian wasn't a fan of it. I believe, judging from the clips, one of the vocals is just a bit more prominent than the other? I haven't heard the final result.

The bridge is Carl and, I believe, Brian, by the way, so it makes sense that it's still there.

Don't know how you can prefer the SOT mixes with the vocals panned hard left (or right, whichever). Can't stand that sh*t. Just me, though.

You don't understand. Mark Linett did all of the stereo mixes on the new "The Beach Boys Today" mono + stereo disc. But only the 3 mixes that I mentioned(and also "Help Me Ronda") are previously unreleased. The other mixes had already been released on "Summer Love Songs", "The Warmth of The Sun", "U.S. Singles Collection" and other compilations.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1612 on: August 23, 2012, 05:44:13 AM »

You don't understand. Mark Linett did all of the stereo mixes on the new "The Beach Boys Today" mono + stereo disc. But only the 3 mixes that I mentioned(and also "Help Me Ronda") are previously unreleased. The other mixes had already been released on "Summer Love Songs", "The Warmth of The Sun", "U.S. Singles Collection" and other compilations.

Ah, not including "Help Me Ronda" threw me off. I think this mix of "She Knows Me Too Well" is new as well.

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1613 on: August 23, 2012, 05:52:53 AM »

Ah, not including "Help Me Ronda" threw me off. I think this mix of "She Knows Me Too Well" is new as well.
Nope, sounds exactly like the stereo mix on the U.S. Singles Box?

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1614 on: August 23, 2012, 06:43:25 AM »

I thought the doubled vocal was somehow restored?

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Catbirdman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1615 on: August 23, 2012, 07:26:51 AM »

I agree it's a somewhat unxpected decision, but it's one I'm looking forward to. Like many folks, I too have been bugged by the messiness of that double-tracked vocal.

Just curious - is it possible that the second vocal on the verses was actually overdubbed at mixdown? It would explain Mark's decision. I'm sure someone here knows for sure.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 07:35:58 AM by Catbirdman » Logged

My real name is Peter Aaron Beyer. I live in Baltimore, Maryland, USA.
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1616 on: August 23, 2012, 07:28:30 AM »

I agree it's a somewhat unxpected decision, but it's one I'm looking forward to. Like many, the messiness of that double-tracked vocal has been a minor annoyance for me too.

Just curious - is it possible that the second vocal on the verses was actually overdubbed at mixdown? It would explain Mark's decision. I'm sure someone here knows for sure.

The new stereo mix of In The Back Of My Mind, I love that - the single Dennis vocal suits it much better. The EQ is something I am not overly thrilled about, but, well, that's another matter entirely I suspect....

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #1617 on: August 23, 2012, 08:10:48 AM »

The doubled vocal was terrible. Dennis has a really emotional voice, you shouldn't double track that. They learned that quick.

TV Forces
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1618 on: August 23, 2012, 09:09:43 AM »

Deleted.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 09:10:36 AM by TV Forces » Logged
PhilCohen
« Reply #1619 on: August 23, 2012, 09:57:22 AM »

I agree it's a somewhat unxpected decision, but it's one I'm looking forward to. Like many folks, I too have been bugged by the messiness of that double-tracked vocal.

The bootleg "Sea of Tunes" stereo mix of "in The Back of My Mind" has the double-tracked vocals throughout. Mark Linett decided to mix out the overdubbed voice, except during the middle-eight.
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #1620 on: August 23, 2012, 10:10:01 AM »

Drat, amazon date changed to 24th Sept...

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #1621 on: August 23, 2012, 01:19:27 PM »

Aye, and half the discs are still double-priced. I guess they've got kids working there during the summer hols...

doinnothin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1622 on: August 23, 2012, 03:27:40 PM »

Ugh, I'm getting so tired of scouring the net for a sneak peak at the new remasters that I might just have to wait 'til they get released here. So frustrating to read everyone else talking about them!  Ahhh!

took me a while to understand what was going on in this thread. mainly because i thought that veggie was a bokchoy
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #1623 on: August 24, 2012, 09:02:52 AM »

Aye, and half the discs are still double-priced. I guess they've got kids working there during the summer hols...

Only three remain wrongly priced now… and all release dates have been corrected to Sept 24.  Slowly but surely…

(It's like clock-watching…!)

dexyman
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #1624 on: August 24, 2012, 05:48:57 PM »

Hey guys, sorry if this has already been addressed but this thread is quite long.  Has there been any consensus on how the 2012 mono remasters stack up next to the 1990 and 2001 remasters?
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 62 63 64 [65] 66 67 68 69 70 ... 104 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx